Who Watches the Watchers - Forum for the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe & Similar Works 20 YEARS! 2004-2024

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/04/2020 4:17 pm  #1

Guidebook to the MCU: Marvel's Captain America: The First Avenger

Historical text from Cx Pulp

Andy E. Nystrom
10-20-2015, 06:03 PM

(Sorry that the title's a bit squeezed. Turns out the title field has a character limit). [2019 note: same on new site]

Written by MIKE O'SULLIVAN
& THE OHOTMU TEAM
Cover by MIKE DEL MUNDO
Captain America takes center stage as the MCU Guidebooks' comprehensive coverage of the fan-favorite Marvel Studios films and Marvel TV shows continues! Look back on the dark days of World War II as we declassify the secrets of Project Rebirth! Featuring fact sheets, movie-to-comic comparisons and production stills, this issue is packed with profiles of Steve "Captain America" Rogers himself; patriotic allies including Bucky Barnes, Peggy Carter, Dr. Abraham Erskine and the Howling Commandos; enemies of liberty including Hydra, Arnim Zola and the Red Skull; and updates on Howard Stark and Nick Fury! Plus: Cap's mighty shield! The Tesseract!
Yggdrasil the World-Tree! And more! Relive the big-screen thrills of Marvel's Captain America: The First Avenger right here, and continue building your indispensable library of Cinematic Universe reference books!
32 PGS./Rated T+ ...$3.99

Historical text from Capes (Optional) by way of Wayback Machine:

Andy E. Nystrom
Sat Jan 09, 2016 5:52 pm
Now that this thread has been moved over I can open it up to the No-Prize competition. Whoever correctly guesses the most entries in this book not mentioned in the description will get the first Capes (Optional) version of the No-Prizes I'd been handing out on the CxPulp site. The book is slated for a January 27 release.

vanhornluke
Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:09 pm
I'm drawing a blank for possible further entries. Maybe the Human Torch?

Eduardo M.
Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:40 pm
As far as entries not listed in the solicits, I could see the following people covered:

Heinz Kruger
Colonel Chester Phillips
Dum Dum Dugan
Jim Morita
Montgomery Falsworth
Gabe Jones
Jacques Dernier
Senator Brandt
Pvt. Lorraine

Andy E. Nystrom
Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:41 pm
Out tomorrow! Get your guesses in for the first No-Prize on the new site. Cut-off is tomorrow at 7 Pacific/10 Easterm or until someone posts the contents, whichever comes first.

Andy E. Nystrom
Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:41 pm
Votes now locked in as some east coasters could possibly try to fool us west coasters into thinking they're making random guesses when they're actually typing off names of characters from their own copy.

Andy E. Nystrom
Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:59 pm
Out now! Also includes material from Captain America: First Vengeance #1-4 2011 and Captain America: The Movie Adaptation#1-2 2013

Bucky 2
Captain America 3
Captain America's Costumes & Shields 2
Peggy Carter 2
Jacques Dernier 1
Dum Dum Dugan 1
Dr. Abraham Erskine 1
James Montgomery Falsworth 1
Hydra 3
Gabe Jones 1
Jim Morita 1
Colonel Phillips 1
Red Skull 3
Howard Stark update 1
World Exposition of Tomorrow 2
Arnim Zola 1
Senator Brandt ½
Sergeant Duffy ½
Nick Fury update ½
Heinz Kruger ½
Tesseract ½
Yggdrasil ½

One common theme I see here is that if an expo appears in a MCU movie it's going to get an entry

Even if more people had guessed, Eduardo would have likely won the No-Prize: an impressive eight out of nine guesses made it in (we now know that "Howling Copmmandos" referred to the members and not the team, but that wasn't obvious from the solicits). Your No-Prize is on the way!

Andy E. Nystrom
Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:15 am
This is probably the nicest looking issue to date, largely due to the various equipment/vehicles imagery. And nice that there were lots of 1 and 1/2 pagers to allow for more entries this go. What are other people's reactions?

Andy E. Nystrom
Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:24 am
Anyone else get this? What did you think?

vanhornluke
Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:05 am
I preordered mine, but it hasn't shipped yet. :-(

Sidney Osinga
Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:23 am
I got mine. I like it, it has the same quality as the previous ones. If there was one thing I'd complain about, it's that the individual Howling Commandos entries covered a lot of the same material.

Last edited by Andy E. Nystrom (1/23/2020 11:50 am)

My photostream (over 7.5 million photos!)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24917258@N05/

Board footera