Who Watches the Watchers - Forum for the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe & Similar Works 20 YEARS! 2004-2024

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/08/2020 6:50 pm  #1

Thanos Sourcebook

Historical text from Comixfan:

bigvis497
Apr 20, 2010, 01:51 pm

Coming from Marvel in July...

THANOS SOURCEBOOK
Written by MIKE O'SULLIVAN & VARIOUS
Cover by ALEX GARNER

The THANOS SOURCEBOOK is an ideal primer for any reader of the latest saga to rock the cosmos! Featuring biographies on Marvel's intergalactic cast of characters — as written by Earth's Richard Rider, the Nova Prime!
32 PGS./Handbook/Rated T+ …$3.99

So I'm guessing this will be more along the line of Annihilation: Nova Corps Files then Handbook proper?
sucellos11
Apr 20, 2010, 03:16 pm

So, these are in the files format? Or in the Official Handbook format?

Phoenixx9
Apr 20, 2010, 04:33 pm

When is this supposed to be released?

ToddCam
Apr 20, 2010, 05:24 pm

All three of the threads created today are for things which are part of the July 2010 (TWENTY-TEN) solicitations. So, July.

captainswift
Apr 20, 2010, 06:58 pm

Sounds like a Files from the text ("as written by... Richard Rider"). This makes me a little sad, as I really think a cosmic/space heroes handbook is overdue.

Roger Ott
Apr 21, 2010, 01:42 pm

Files books don't work so well for me because I'm always trying to "convert" them to standard Handbook format while I'm reading it.

Stuart V
May 27, 2010, 09:16 am

bigvis497 wrote:

So I'm guessing this will be more along the line of Annihilation: Nova Corps Files then Handbook proper?

sucellos11 wrote:

So, these are in the files format? Or in the Official Handbook format?

Yes, files.

Phoenixx9
Jul 4, 2010, 03:40 pm

:Read: Just a reminder for all:  :Read:

It appears that THANOS SOURCEBOOK is due out this very week!

Sidney Osinga
Jul 7, 2010, 08:06 pm

Out today. It contains a Sagas style retelling of Thanos' origin and of cosmic events since Annihilation. it also has half page files type entries for:

Blastaar
Bug (microverse)
Cosmo (canine)
Crystal (Inhumans)
Darkhawk
Death (cosmic entity)
Drax
Gamora
Gladiator (Kallark)
Gorgon (Inhumans)
Groot
Imperial Guard
Jack Flag
Karnak (Inhumans)
Lockjaw
Major Victory (Astro)
Mantis (Brandt)
Maximus (Inhumans)
Medusa (Inhumans)
Moondragon
Namorita
Nova (Rider)
Quasar (Vaughn)
Rocket Raccoon
Ronan
Silver Surfer
Star-Lord (Quill)
Thanos
Triton (Inhumans)
Adam Warlock

Eduardo M.
Jul 7, 2010, 10:06 pm

Sidney Osinga wrote:

Out today. It contains a Sagas style retelling of Thanos' origin and of cosmic events since Annihilation. it also has half page files type entries for:

Blastaar
Bug (microverse)
Cosmo (canine)
Crystal (Inhumans)
Darkhawk
Death (cosmic entity)
Drax
Gamora
Gladiator (Kallark)
Gorgon (Inhumans)
Groot
Imperial Guard
Jack Flag
Karnak (Inhumans)
Lockjaw
Major Victory (Astro)
Mantis (Brandt)
Maximus (Inhumans)
Medusa (Inhumans)
Moondragon
Namorita
Nova (Rider)
Quasar (Vaughn)
Rocket Raccoon
Ronan
Silver Surfer
Star-Lord (Quill)
Thanos
Triton (Inhumans)
Adam Warlock

Interesting. Might pick this up. I wonder if Gorgon, Karnak, and Triton are getting regular handbook entries.

Phoenixx9
Jul 8, 2010, 01:38 pm

Well, I was all excitied and hoping to post a few tidbits of sourcebook-y goodness on here, however, the DCBS that I go to didn't order it!!! :aaargh:

:wall: Dispite having to tell the owner (who does the ordering) all the info like when it comes out and writing it down for him, which I did, he let me down again! He will order it "But that means 2 weeks because today is Thursday, not Wednesday", he said with a chuckle and grin, the big round burly-guy with food stains on his chin. :#:grind:

To further protect myself, :hope: I asked him to check into the Phoenix Force Handbook due out in 2 or 3 weeks, which I had given to him at the same time originally. I had to say the title 3 times as he wrote it down, like he never heard of it. Mind you, I had already given to him weeks ago, along with the date he should have ordered it. As he wrote it down, he was heard to say, "I'll check into that too, for you, but not today." :ugh:

So, I'll leave it to other posters to say what is there :dunno:, as for me, until then, I'll just sit here and stare :look: ...

Roger Ott
Jul 8, 2010, 02:25 pm

Sounds like you need to find another source for your comics, dude. I'd go the online ordering route myself if I were you. I've been doing that almost exclusively for the last 6 years. Sure, you have to wait for the books to be shipped, but it sounds like you're already waiting extra time to get the books you asked for in the first place.

Andy E. Nystrom
Jul 8, 2010, 10:00 pm

Phoenixx9 wrote:

To further protect myself, :hope: I asked him to check into the Phoenix Force Handbook due out in 2 or 3 weeks, which I had given to him at the same time originally. I had to say the title 3 times as he wrote it down, like he never heard of it. Mind you, I had already given to him weeks ago, along with the date he should have ordered it. As he wrote it down, he was heard to say, "I'll check into that too, for you, but not today." :ugh:

A bit off topic, but it's amazing what a difference the right dealer will make. The one I go to here in Victoria sometimes slips up but usually gets them all in. Conversely in Duncan on separate occasions I went looking for back issues of the Marvel Handbooks and Y the Last Man (the latter not long after the series had concluded). The dealers at the shop there hadn't heard of either of them (in some ways I'm more surprised they hadn't heard of Y). If there's no other dealer in your area (and I'm assuming you aren't going to move to another city just for the comics) I have to agree that mail order might be best in your case. It sounds like you've been very clear with your dealer and he's still not keeping track of your orders.

captainswift
Jul 8, 2010, 10:23 pm

A comic shop proprietor... hasn't heard of Y the Last Man?

I know people who never pick up any other comics who are devoted to that series. It's...

"Excuse me, Mr. Grocer? What aisle is the milk on?"
"Milk... milk... um, do you know who makes that?"

Eduardo M.
Jul 9, 2010, 12:02 am

captainswift wrote:

A comic shop proprietor... hasn't heard of Y the Last Man?

I know people who never pick up any other comics who are devoted to that series. It's...

"Excuse me, Mr. Grocer? What aisle is the milk on?"
"Milk... milk... um, do you know who makes that?"

Could be worse. Imagine if they didn't know who Spider-Man was.

William Keogh
Jul 9, 2010, 11:23 am

But this is a comic book dealer... how can he not know? :wt:

Andy, is that the only shop in Victoria? I've got a sister out that way...

Andy E. Nystrom
Jul 9, 2010, 12:24 pm

William Keogh wrote:

But this is a comic book dealer... how can he not know? :wt:

Andy, is that the only shop in Victoria? I've got a sister out that way...

Actually that particular shop is in Duncan, not Victoria; unsurprisingly that particular shop is phasing out the comics aspect of their store to focus more on sports cards and the like, which hopefully's they're more knowledgeable about. They recently stopped stocking new comics so you won't find the Thanos Sourcebook there, to bring this peripherally back on topic. Victoria actually has four shops all on the same side of the same block downtown, plus one of them has a second branch in another location, so we do okay.

Eduardo M.
Jul 9, 2010, 06:03 pm

Blast IT!!! Bother!! Darn it!!! Fudge!!! Frackin!!!!! (expletive deleted), (censored), (word my grandmother would hit over the head for if she heard me say it)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My LCS didn't have this OR update #2!!! AAARRRGGGGHHH!!! I was so looking forward to a weekend of handbooky goodness!!!

oh well. as a consolation prize I found both issues of the Invincible Handbook. Its in the still of the 80s handbook so that will do. FOR NOW!!!

(goes to a corner and steams)

Phoenixx9
Jul 9, 2010, 06:30 pm

Eduardo M. wrote:

Blast IT!!! Bother!! Darn it!!! Fudge!!! Frackin!!!!! (expletive deleted), (censored), (word my grandmother would hit over the head for if she heard me say it)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My LCS didn't have this OR update #2!!! AAARRRGGGGHHH!!! I was so looking forward to a weekend of handbooky goodness!!!

oh well. as a consolation prize I found both issues of the Invincible Handbook. Its in the still of the 80s handbook so that will do. FOR NOW!!!

(goes to a corner and steams)

Eduardo, believe me, I feel your pain! :depress:

Thanks to everyone for your good suggestion for ordering the comics. Yes, this current dealer is less than affable and the funny thing is, he thinks he really provides good service to his customers! :lol:

Can anyone tell anything else about Thanos Sourcebook?

Eduardo M.
Jul 9, 2010, 07:15 pm

Phoenixx9 wrote:

Eduardo, believe me, I feel your pain! :depress:

Thank you Phoenix.

Andy E. Nystrom
Jul 9, 2010, 10:11 pm

Phoenixx9 wrote:

Can anyone tell anything else about Thanos Sourcebook?

Yeah, the 1/2 page character profiles only start 1/2 way into the book. The first half puts Thanos' history in chronological order. Different panels reprinted from various comics depict different times in Thanos' life, with accompanying text providing historical context for the panels.

Eduardo M.
Jul 9, 2010, 11:44 pm

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

Yeah, the 1/2 page character profiles only start 1/2 way into the book. The first half puts Thanos' history in chronological order. Different panels reprinted from various comics depict different times in Thanos' life, with accompanying text providing historical context for the panels.

so kinda like a cross between the Spider-Man: Brand New Day Yearbook and a files book like the Annihilation Nova Corps Files or the Dark Reign Files?

Roger Ott
Jul 10, 2010, 12:02 am

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

The first half puts Thanos' history in chronological order. Different panels reprinted from various comics depict different times in Thanos' life, with accompanying text providing historical context for the panels.

That's good, because I lost touch with ol' Thanos about 10 years ago. We've got a lot of catching up to do.

Clay Olsen
Jul 10, 2010, 08:41 am

I sooooo wanted this book but was unable to find it on Thursday at either of my local shops

Phoenixx9
Jul 10, 2010, 12:10 pm

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

Thanks Andy.
I need to learn more about Thanos. I think I remember Thanos fighting both the Thing and Thor and doing a good job of holding his own against both of them at the same time, but that was a long time ago. Do they have any panels depicting this?

Roger Ott wrote:

That's good, because I lost touch with ol' Thanos about 10 years ago. We've got a lot of catching up to do.

Yes, me too, which is why I wanted this book.

Clay Olsen wrote:

I sooooo wanted this book but was unable to find it on Thursday at either of my local shops

I know how you feel Clay Olsen. Wow, what is happening with this book? Short production run? Not on the order sheet? A lack of advertising? Lazy dealers forgetting to order it? Summer daze??

PaxHouse
Jul 10, 2010, 01:06 pm

Phoenixx9 wrote:

I know how you feel Clay Olsen. Wow, what is happening with this book?

Short production run? Not on the order sheet? A lack of advertising? Lazy dealers forgetting to order it? Summer daze??
.....And the correct answer is.....

All of the Above....!!

:yeah: :razz: :grind: :wall:

....Still, it's good to know that this latest Hankbook/OneShot from Marvel does cover some of the New Warriors... ;)

Andy E. Nystrom
Jul 10, 2010, 10:09 pm

Phoenixx9 wrote:

Thanks Andy.
I need to learn more about Thanos. I think I remember Thanos fighting both the Thing and Thor and doing a good job of holding his own against both of them at the same time, but that was a long time ago. Do they have any panels depicting this?

Good memory. The book numbers each chronology passage. When you get your copy, look for 009 (there's no page numbers but if there were it would be on page 4); that's the panel you're looking for.

Phoenixx9
Jul 11, 2010, 02:02 pm

Thanks Andy.

Yeah, I remember posing over a friend's very quickly and thought that Thanos was really strong--perhaps more so than even the Hulk.

When the OHOTMU came out, I expected to see his strength like 200+ tons, but never did. It did mention that Thanos fought off Thing & Thor for an extended period of time and held his own. Even the MU games never gave him SH Y strength (150 to 250 tons), which would have been accurate.

Didn't he use mysticism, bionics and genetic enhancements to further augment his incredible strength and 'heavy hide'? In light of holding off both the Thing and Thor, it seems Thanos' strength is extremely underestimated!

oenglish
Jul 11, 2010, 04:31 pm

Phoenixx9 wrote:

When the OHOTMU came out, I expected to see his strength like 200+ tons, but never did. It did mention that Thanos fought off Thing & Thor for an extended period of time and held his own. Even the MU games never gave him SH Y strength (150 to 250 tons), which would have been accurate.

Didn't he use mysticism, bionics and genetic enhancements to further augment his incredible strength and 'heavy hide'? In light of holding off both the Thing and Thor, it seems Thanos' strength is extremely underestimated!

On the other hand, when you read MTIO Annual 2, he only punches/swats them once - what he uses to take them down is his eye beams. Even when he punches, his hands are glowing with some sort of energy. Since he's rarely (I want to say never, as I can't think of an example, but I'm sure if I did that someone would immediately come up with a counter-example) shown lifting anything _extreme_, I'm not sure I'd argue him as having extreme super-strength. Based solely on the MTIO example, what should be at an extreme level would be his energy projection and his durability. Obviously he's incredibly strong, but it appears to be other factors which let him take down the Thing and Thor.

Mark O'

Clay Olsen
Jul 11, 2010, 09:09 pm

Well Thanos is an Eternal... so enhanced strength does come in his power set (and is by far one of the most powerful of that race). But no he's not anywhere as strong as Hulk (who has no real known upper-limit)... Thanos has further augemented himself through mystical and scientific means. During the the MTIO annual... he had gathered the energies of all the soulgems (infinity gems) and i remember Starlin saying something to the fact that the exposure had boosted him as well as made his starkiller weapon possible.

But really his main weapon is his intellect.

Andy E. Nystrom
Jul 12, 2010, 12:42 am

Of course it's also important to factor in durability and willpower. When the Thing fought the Champion of the Universe in a later battle, this time it was he who was outmatched, hopelessly in fact, and he was never going to win the fight, but he nevertheless kept the fight going longer than the Champion expected.

Phoenixx9
Jul 12, 2010, 11:21 am

I admit I need to learn more about Thanos. This is why I want this Sourcebook.

Yesterday, I did review some web sites including wiki and Marvel and many others. Some say Thanos destroyed planets with his fists, physically beat Tyrant who is on a par with Galactus, and has fought Hulk, Thor, Silver Surfer and Odin and won. One site said: "Thanos fought both the Thing and Thor simultaneously in hand-to-hand combat for an extended period of time and held his own."

Those sources say Thanos is a mutant who did use mysticism, meditation, bionic and genetic modifications to increase his already massive strength. In addition, Death has increased his strength a few times. He is MU version of Darkseid, but much more powerful!

I learned that in addition to his strength, Thanos does possess enhanced durability and endurance. He possesses powerful energy beams that can shoot from his hands or eyes. Perhaps some limited telepathy and some form of telekinesis. His evilness and desire of death (for others, that is!) are unsurpassed! His greatest power is perhaps his evil genius mind...

Getting back to the Sourcebook, are the profiles new ones, updated, or reprints from the HC?

bigvis497
Jul 12, 2010, 11:34 am

Phoenixx9 wrote:

I admit I need to learn more about Thanos. This is why I want this Sourcebook.

Yesterday, I did review some web sites including wiki and Marvel and many others. Some say Thanos destroyed planets with his fists, physically beat Tyrant who is on a par with Galactus, and has fought Hulk, Thor, Silver Surfer and Odin and won. One site said: "Thanos fought both the Thing and Thor simultaneously in hand-to-hand combat for an extended period of time and held his own."

Those sources say Thanos is a mutant who did use mysticism, meditation, bionic and genetic modifications to increase his already massive strength. In addition, Death has increased his strength a few times. He is MU version of Darkseid, but much more powerful!

I learned that in addition to his strength, Thanos does possess enhanced durability and endurance. He possesses powerful energy beams that can shoot from his hands or eyes. Perhaps some limited telepathy and some form of telekinesis. His evilness and desire of death (for others, that is!) are unsurpassed! His greatest power is perhaps his evil genius mind...

Getting back to the Sourcebook, are the profiles new ones, updated, or reprints from the HC?

This is not a handbook, they are in files form.

Eduardo M.
Jul 17, 2010, 04:30 pm

Picked this up yesterday.

not a bad little book. I liked the history of Thanos and the history of all the cosmic conflict so far.

The profiles were ok. Kinda wish more people had been covered like the late Phyla-Vell, Black Bolt, Vulcan, Lilandra, the Fraternity of Raptors, etc.But it was interesting seeing nova's thoughts on the people that were covered.

Phoenixx9
Jul 26, 2010, 04:13 pm

Hello everyone!

My copy just arrived and I must say that I am enjoying this SourceBook.

I had a few questions:

1) Karnak:
I thought I had asked on here somewhere (?) about Karnak being exposed to the Terrigen Mists. The current consensus was that he was indeed exposed. I always believed that he was exposed, but you know, there were so many conflicting reports that he wasn't. Now, in this Thanos SourceBook, it says Karnak WAS NOT exposed to the Mists. Does anyone know what the truth is about Karnak's exposure? Not that it really makes any difference since he is really powerful, but it just seems to me that his look and abilities do indeed come mostly from the Mists, with his fighting prowess, inner mental calmness and martial arts ability coming from his meditation/monastery studies.

2) Nova Prime uses the term "martial artist of great skill" for Karnak, "martial artist of the highest order" for Mantis and "master martial artist" for Moondragon. I am not asking who is the most skilled. My question is was Nova Prime ranking them himself by this wording or just using different terms to describe them?

Sidney Osinga
Jul 26, 2010, 11:51 pm

Phoenixx9 wrote:

Hello everyone!

My copy just arrived and I must say that I am enjoying this SourceBook.

I had a few questions:

1) Karnak:
I thought I had asked on here somewhere (?) about Karnak being exposed to the Terrigen Mists. The current consensus was that he was indeed exposed. I always believed that he was exposed, but you know, there were so many conflicting reports that he wasn't. Now, in this Thanos SourceBook, it says Karnak WAS NOT exposed to the Mists. Does anyone know what the truth is about Karnak's exposure? Not that it really makes any difference since he is really powerful, but it just seems to me that his look and abilities do indeed come mostly from the Mists, with his fighting prowess, inner mental calmness and martial arts ability coming from his meditation/monastery studies.

Maybe since the Sourcebook was written in Nova's words and from his perspective, he believes that Karnak wasn't exposed to the Mists. After all, the Files type books are (usually) written in universe and are not official.

DeadpoolRP
Jul 26, 2010, 11:57 pm

Sidney Osinga wrote:

Maybe since the Sourcebook was written in Nova's words and from his perspective, he believes that Karnak wasn't exposed to the Mists. After all, the Files type books are (usually) written in universe and are not official.

For what it's worth, Wikipedia also says that Karnak wasn't exposed to the Mists. And even though the files are from Nova's point of view, I'd think the handbook writers would try to avoid having him transmit incorrect information. I guess we'll have to wait and see if someone more in the know can clarify things.

Roger Ott
Aug 3, 2010, 10:24 am

Got this yesterday. While I'm not a huge fan of the "Files" books, this is a pretty good read. The history of Thanos is nicely written.

Hopefully, most of the characters covered will be receiving true Handbook profiles in the near future.

Eduardo M.
Aug 3, 2010, 02:13 pm

Roger Ott wrote:

Got this yesterday. While I'm not a huge fan of the "Files" books, this is a pretty good read. The history of Thanos is nicely written.

Hopefully, most of the characters covered will be receiving true Handbook profiles in the near future.

Gorgon got one in the Phoenix Handbook so hopefully those that havent recieved any Handbook love will get some soon.

Phoenixx9
Aug 3, 2010, 07:28 pm

Roger Ott wrote:

I'm glad you finally got your copy, CyRog! Now that you have Thanos and PF Handbook, you are currently caught up.

Roger Ott wrote:

Gorgon got one in the Phoenix Handbook so hopefully those that havent recieved any Handbook love will get some soon.

Quite true. I think the coming months will see the StarJammers competion and Imperial Guard members getting covered as well as finishing up the Hellfire Club members. And, there are still plenty of good characters that need Handbook Love! :love:

My photostream (over 7.5 million photos!)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24917258@N05/

1/08/2020 6:55 pm  #2

Re: Thanos Sourcebook

Following up on a tangent, the comic shop in Duncan where the owner had never heard of Y the Last Man has since closed down. I should also mention that it once actually briefly gained a little notoriety. Once on Newsarama, Dave Sim held a Q&A and (much to my amused surprise because I didn't start that topic) the conversation turned to how bad that shop was. Thanos probably wouldn't have even bothered to wipe out that store.

My photostream (over 7.5 million photos!)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24917258@N05/

Board footera