Who Watches the Watchers - Forum for the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe & Similar Works 20 YEARS! 2004-2024

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/09/2020 11:52 am  #1

All-New OHOTMU A-Z 2006 #6

Historical info from Comixfan:

Eric J. Moreels

Mar 15, 2006, 02:50 am

Coming in June from Marvel Comics...

ALL-NEW OFFICIAL HANDBOOK OF THE MARVEL UNIVERSE A TO Z #6
Written by JEFF CHRISTIANSEN, MICHAEL HOSKIN, SEAN MCQUAID, RONALD BYRD, STUART VANDAL, MARK O'ENGLISH, ANTHONY FLAMINI, ERIC J. MOREELS, CHRIS BIGGS, ANTHONY FLAMINI, MIKE FICHERA, AL SJOERDSMA, BARRY REESE, RICH GREEN, ERIC ENGLEHARD & MADISON CARTER
Cover by KEU CHA

The Handbook from A to Z rolls on - including bios on Justice (New Universe), Ka-Zar (modern and Golden Age), Marvel UK's Killpower, the Kree, Kylun, Livewires, Living Eraser, Living Tribunal, Loki, Looter, Gideon Mace, Machine Teen, Maelstrom, Major Mapleleaf, Malice (Nakia), Victor Mancha and more! This twelve-issue monthly series focuses on new characters, characters who never received a profile and those needing major updates.

64 PGS./ NO ADS/Rated T+ ...$3.99

Rayeye

Mar 15, 2006, 09:53 am

I'm always looking forward to the new Handbooks!
I'm glad to see Kylun, Killpower, Major Mapleleaf and Kane are included! Also fun to see both Ka-Zars in the same issue.
I hope M (Monet) and Longshot will also be in the Handbook.

By the way, I can recognize all the characters on the cover, except those two girls in the background. One looks like Karima Shapandar, but I think she will be rather under the S in the Handbooks.

Inferno

Mar 15, 2006, 01:39 pm

I am excited about Kylun!

And I am pretty sure that is Karima on the cover.

Eric J. Moreels

Mar 15, 2006, 09:26 pm

Inferno wrote:

And I am pretty sure that is Karima on the cover.

Actually, it's a miscolored M. Hopefully the final version of the cover will correct this.

William Keogh

Mar 16, 2006, 10:42 am

Eric J. Moreels wrote:

Actually, it's a miscolored M. Hopefully the final version of the cover will correct this.

To verify, M is the woman between Korvac and MACH IV? And thanks for including Abe in this too.

Inferno

Mar 16, 2006, 01:49 pm

The one I thought was Karima is the flying woman.....the M look-a-like is the other chick right?

doodoo11

Mar 16, 2006, 02:57 pm

The woman in the front is Madame Masque. Which one is supposed to look like M?

Inferno

Mar 16, 2006, 04:20 pm

doodoo11 wrote:

The woman in the front is Madame Masque. Which one is supposed to look like M?

M was mis-colored, she is the red head near Mach IV.

gtrmp

Mar 16, 2006, 05:00 pm

So who else is on the cover? I see the Living Tribunal, Korvac, MACH-4, miscolored M, Machine Man, Magus, Killpower, Jack O'Lantern, Madame Masque, Loki, Lacuna, and both Ka-Zars. Who are the woman behind Madame Masque, the airborne woman with the spear, and the cyborg guy?

Rayeye

Mar 16, 2006, 06:17 pm

gtrmp wrote:

So who else is on the cover? I see the Living Tribunal, Korvac, MACH-4, miscolored M, Machine Man, Magus, Killpower, Jack O'Lantern, Madame Masque, Loki, Lacuna, and both Ka-Zars. Who are the woman behind Madame Masque, the airborne woman with the spear, and the cyborg guy?

The cyborg guy is Kane and I think the woman behind Madame Masque is not a woman but the man called Mad Thinker.
Also, I think this Jack O'Lantern will be listed under his alias Mad Jack since it's a K-M issue.
Still no idea who the airborne woman with the spear is.

doodoo11

Apr 6, 2006, 11:37 am

Eric J. Moreels wrote:

Are you including M's telekinesis as a power? (She used it in X-Men: The End)

Madison Carter

Jun 28, 2006, 03:25 pm

Out today!

William Keogh

Jun 28, 2006, 06:26 pm

Madison Carter wrote:

Out today!

Yes, but the distributors here are running behind!! :aaargh: :wall: :bleep:

Eric J. Moreels

Jun 29, 2006, 05:59 am

doodoo11 wrote:

Are you including M's telekinesis as a power? (She used it in X-Men: The End)

No, because X-Men: The End takes place in a possible future.

William Keogh

Jun 30, 2006, 05:41 pm

Again, a great handbook. I liked the entries on Machinesmith, Machine Man, Korvac, the Tribunal, Kazar, Kraven, M, Madame Masque, Loki, Moses Magnum, Mad Thinker, Magdalene, and my favourite Thunderbolt, MACH IV. Had no idea there was a golden age Kazar, and a few others like Lynx were new to me. And as always, there were a couple of entries, Machine Teen and Livewires, that I could have done without, but that's just personal taste.

WhitePhalkon

Jul 1, 2006, 09:17 am

I really liked this handbook. There were a couple of points made in some of the bios that personally i didnt think were right, or at least had been conclusively shown to be the case in the comics.

For example in the Living Tribunals bio states taht Lts power surpasses that of the I Gems. Where was that stated or conclusively depicted in any comic? Its stated that he represents a being who is allegedly more powerful than the gems but LT did nothing to show the same was true for himself. Adam lashed out with an energy surge in Infinity Watch. It was a fit of rage not an attempt to destroy the assembled beings therefore LT withstanding that blast while most of the other cosmics got thrown back just shows what we already know, that LT is more powerful than them NOT that he is more powerful than the Gems. The full power of the Gems was never employed against the abstracts in that instance let alone LT therefore that is not sufficient reason to claim him beyond the Gems.

In fact the scene suggested that LT did not know how his power would fare against the Gems:

http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=2/580930099.jpg&s=x402

http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=2/5809424373.jpg&s=x402

So with that in mind how can anyone say that LT is beyond the Gems? His ruling over the gems took place after he had talked Adam out of resisting him. Something he did after it was suggested he didnt know how his power would fare in a confrontation and after he said that it would take a reality destroying confrontation in an effort to enforce his ruling. After Adam conceded after not wanting to lay waste to his native reality THEN the ruling took place. If Adam had wished to fight LT and employ the gems against him then as stated on panel LT couldnt have stopped the gems from working. It would have resulted in a confrontation where the victor was left undefined on panel.

The gems are just an artifact. They are not sentient beings who can stand up for themselves. They need a wielder to consciously employ their power. Therefore LT disabling the gems whilst they were without a user is NOT evidence enough to place him beyond them, because we were told by LT himself what it would take for him to try and enforce his ruling in a case where the gems were being wielded. I could disable the inner workings of an inert car, but could i do the same if the car was being driven at me? SO with that in mind plus the fact that LT has never displayed an output of power greater than the gems on panel then i feel it was inaccurate to say he was beyond the gems.

Another point is where it was stated that LT was supreme to all but his unseen master TOAA. Well i felt that was inaccurate also given the situation with the gems, what happened to LT with the Herat Of the Infinite (as even mentioned in the same bio) and the fact that in X-men Forever as visualised by Eternity the abstracts and LT are replaced by an evolved humanity every creation cycle in a process initiated by the Phoenix Force:

http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=5/13615340764.jpg&s=f5

http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=3/7508374934.jpg&s=x11

http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=3/7508393059.jpg&s=x11

http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=3/7508420942.jpg&s=x11

http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=5/12205252584.jpg&s=x402

http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=3/7511343068.jpg&s=x11

So while LT certainly has jurisdiction over all, the comics certainly havent shown him to be supreme over all.

Rayeye

Jul 3, 2006, 03:51 pm

I have some additions which are missing in this Handbook:

MACH-4: he was also a member of the B-Team (by the way, this team was also missing in Blizzard's entry in issue #2)

Machinesmith: he was also a member of the Corporation (Marvel Legacy: the 1960's Handbook listed him as a member)

By the way, I have also a question regarding Major Mapleleaf's entry:
His bio says Major Mapleleaf married Zuzha Yu (Puck) and had a son.
This info was seen at the last pages of Alpha Flight vol. 3 #12. But in the same pages Centennial and Nemesis are shown deceased, only in Centennial's entry in the Handbook it was said this was a vision of their possible fate.
So what's true now? Were these pages (scenes) just visions or facts?

Madison Carter

Jul 3, 2006, 11:39 pm

Rayeye wrote:

By the way, I have also a question regarding Major Mapleleaf's entry:
His bio says Major Mapleleaf married Zuzha Yu (Puck) and had a son.
This info was seen at the last pages of Alpha Flight vol. 3 #12. But in the same pages Centennial and Nemesis are shown deceased, only in Centennial's entry in the Handbook it was said this was a vision of their possible fate.
So what's true now? Were these pages (scenes) just visions or facts?

At the time of Centennial's entry, it was still left up in the air as to what role that final page in AF was meant to be, so we left it as a possibility. As Alpha Flight has since been seen in New Avengers with a different team dynamic that more or less matches that of what was seen in the epilogue, it was decided that it had come to pass.

At least until the next retcon. ;)

Sean McQuaid

Jul 4, 2006, 10:17 am

Rayeye wrote:

MACH-4: he was also a member of the B-Team (by the way, this team was also missing in Blizzard's entry in issue #2)

That affiliation's covered in both their group listings under Hammer Industries.

-Sean

Rayeye

Jul 4, 2006, 05:43 pm

I really enjoyed the Kree entry, it contained some much information about this race I didn't know.

I have also a few questions:
- I know there was a Kree named Shym'r as a member of the Kree Resistance Front, but which one was that: Shym'r, Jr. or Shym'r, Sr.? And when did the other Shym'r appear then?

- I remember there those Bald Twins, weren't they also Kree members?

By the way, other Kree members I know but aren't included in the list, are Ajes'the, Hav-Rogg (son of Zey-Rogg); Foster, L'Ai Sau, Son-Dar, Straker and Teress (all Priests of Pama); Marvel Boy (Noh-Varr) and of course Genis-Vell and Phyla-Vell.

Madison Carter

Jul 4, 2006, 08:04 pm

Rayeye wrote:

I really enjoyed the Kree entry, it contained some much information about this race I didn't know.

I have also a few questions:
- I know there was a Kree named Shym'r as a member of the Kree Resistance Front, but which one was that: Shym'r, Jr. or Shym'r, Sr.? And when did the other Shym'r appear then?

- I remember there those Bald Twins, weren't they also Kree members?

By the way, other Kree members I know but aren't included in the list, are Ajes'the, Hav-Rogg (son of Zey-Rogg); Foster, L'Ai Sau, Son-Dar, Straker and Teress (all Priests of Pama); Marvel Boy (Noh-Varr) and of course Genis-Vell and Phyla-Vell.

Noh-Varr comes from an alternate/divergent reality, and thus was the reason for his omission.

lonelyknight

Jul 16, 2006, 02:06 am

The history of Ultragirl was'nt mentioned.She may get her own entry.

jannepie

Mar 20, 2007, 04:04 pm

I'm a bit behind with my Handbooks and I'm currently going through #6. Lots of interesting profiles that must have taken a lot of work. This issue had a lot of big names like Ka-Zar, Kismet, Korvac, Kree, Loki, Machine Man, Mad Jack, Mad Thinker, Maelstrom, Magus and Man-Beast, which gave me a lot of new information.

By the way, I spotted something in Kylun's profile. The entry gives Excalibur #43 as his first appearance, while most Internet sources list #42. Also, the OHOTMU Bibliography includes #42, but doesn't give it as his first appearance. Which one is it?

I liked how X-Force/X-Statix wasn't listed as Lacuna's official group affiliation. Nowadays most teams seem to get a lot of members than are never shown to actually join the team. :cheers:

Andy E. Nystrom

Feb 3, 2010, 12:39 am

List of Changes in Hardcovers

Other than Marvel, this is all reformatted older changes, but there’ll be a few more newer descriptions in #7 and lots for #8-12

Justice
Hardcover Volume: 6
Now Listed As: Justice (Tensen)
Page Count: Unchanged from 2
Text Changes: 3rd and 4th History paragraphs merged. Speed corrected on Power Grid
Graphic Changes: New secondary illo.

Kane
Page Count: Unchanged from 2
Text Changes: None
Graphic Changes: Secondary illo removed; 4 new captioned secondary illos

Kangaroo
Page Count: Unchanged from 1
Text Changes: First Appearance revised. Final sentence in Hstory replaced with 3 new ones. Height and Weight revised.
Graphic Changes: One of the secondary illos now main illo, while old main illo cropped into headshot.

Ka-Zar the Great
Text/Graphic Changes: None

Ka-Zar the Savage
Page Count: Unchanged from 3
Text Changes: Last 2/3 History sentence replaced with expanded material.
Graphic Changes: Final secondary illo replaced with new one.

Senator Robert Kelley

Erik Killmonger
Now Listed As: Killmonger
Page Count: Increased from 1 to 2
Text Changes: Vital Statistics revised. History completely rewritten/expanded. Abilities/Accessories greatly revised/expanded.
Graphic Changes: 10 new captioned secondary illos
Killpower
Page Count: Increased from 1 to 2
Text Changes: History and Abilities/Accessories greatly revised/expanded.
Graphic Changes: 3 new secondary illos sharing 1 caption

Kismet
Page Count: Unchanged at 2
Graphic Changes: Secondary illo as Her replaced with new one (still captioned); new captioned secondary illo as Ayesha

Klaatu

Korvac
Page Count: Unchanged at 3
Graphic Changes: Second page secondary illos now captioned; new captioned secondary illo of Carina

Alyosha Kravinoff
Page Count: Unchanged at 1
Text Changes: New final History paragraph.
Graphic Changes: New main illo (old one now secondary, reversed, background added) and new secondary illo.

Kree
Page Count: Increased from 3 to 5
Text Changes: Known Members expanded. New final Traits paragraph. History greatly revised/expanded.
Graphic Changes: Ruul illo now labelled “Ruul, Later Appearance” and no longer obscures main illo. 3 new captioned secondary illos (including an Eliot Brown light battle cruiser schematic that appears new), plus 6 more “new” secondary illos (actually classic handbook material) sharing one caption. Headshots expanded from 24 to 48 (Ronan removed, so actually 25 new ones); of the old ones, the one previously listed as Fer-Porr now amended as Phae-Dor, with corresponding amendments to Occupation and First Appearance.

Kylun
Text Changes: 2 sentences added to final History paragraph.
Graphic Changes: New secondary illo.

Lacuna
Text Changes: Real Name, Known Relatives, Group Affiliation revised.
Graphic Changes: New headshot.

Livewires
Text Changes: new one-sentence final History paragraph.
Graphic Changes: None

Living Erasers
Graphic Changes: Originally, the main illo was the same as one of the secondary illos, only with partially different colouring and background; that secondary illo removed but main illo now coloured as per the removed secondary illo. New secondary illo.

Living Tribunal
Text Changes: New sentence added to end of 2nd or 3rd History paragraph (depending on if you count the note).

Lockdown

Locust
Graphic Changes: 2 new secondary illos

Loki
Text Changes: Note added to Known Relatives. First History paragraph revised. New final History paragraph. New sentence added to end of Abilities/Accessories. Speed revised on Power Grid.
Graphic Changes: Old main illo removed; new main illo. One secondary illo cropped, the other two removed, replaced with 2 new ones.

Looter
Text Changes: New final History paragraph. New sentence added to Abilities/Accessories.
Graphic Changes: Main illo shifted slightly. 2 new secondary illos.

Luphomoids
Text Changes: New sentence added to end of History. Note revised.

Lynx
Text Changes: Group Affiliation revised.
Graphic Changes: New secondary illo

M
Page Count: increased from 1 to 2
Text Changes: Vital Statistics and Physical Stats revised to include predecessors. History completely written/expanded and Abilities/Accessories greatly revised/expanded, in both cases in part to factor in predecessors. Energy Projection on Power Grid revised.
Graphic Changes: Old secondary illos of Penance and Twins replaced with new ones (still captioned); 4 additional new secondary illos

Gideon Mace
Graphic Changes: Illo reversed, thus correcting error of which hand holds the mace

Mach-4
Page Count: increased from 3 to 4
Text Changes: Occupation and Group Affiliation revised. History somewhat revised: confirmed changes to 3rd and 5th History paragraphs and the last 3, the second last of these being the most substantially changed (paragraphs also now split differently); new large final paragraph; likely other changes overlooked. Note added. 1st and 4th Abilities/Accessories paragraphs greatly revised/expanded.
Graphic Changes: New headshot. 5 new captioned secondary illos.

Machine Man
Text Changes: Known Relatives, Group Affiliation, Education revised. History greatly revised/expanded. New paragraph added between 2nd and 3rd Abilities/Accessories paragraphs.
Graphic Changes: One secondary illo removed, replaced with new one; background removed form another secondary illo

Machinesmith
Text Changes: final History sentence replaced with 2 new ones. Physical Stats tweaked.
Graphic Changes: New secondary illo

Machine Teen
Text Changes: final History paragraph converted to a Note.

Mad Jack
Text Changes: new sentence added to end if History

Mad Thinker
Text Changes: new final History paragraph. Energy Projection on Power Grid revised.

Madame Masque
Text Changes: new large final History paragraph. Distinguishing Features removed.
Graphic Changes: 2 secondary illos removed, 3 added (one captioned).

Maelstrom
Text Changes: Note added to Physical Stats. Strength and Durability revised on Power Grid.
Graphic Changes: New headshot.

Magdalene
Hardcover Volume: 7
Text Changes: Proctor’s Earth in 1st History paragraph corrected. Speed on Power Grid revised.

Moses Magnum
Text Changes: 3 sentences added to end of History.

Magus
Text Changes: 3rd and 4th History paragraphs merged. Height, Weight, Eyes revised.
Graphic Changes: New captioned secondary illo.

Major Mapleleaf
Text Changes: Known Relatives revised. Final History paragraph expanded, with final sentence replaced with new one.
Graphic Changes: Old secondary illo captioned, new one added.

Malice
Text Changes: 1st 2 and last 2 History paragraphs merged.
Graphic Changes: 2 new secondary illos

Man-Beast
Text Changes: History tweaked (e.g. adding “(Peter Parker)” after “Spider-Man”

Khaos
Page Count: Unchanged at ½
Graphic Changes: New captioned secondary illo

Marvel
Hardcover Volume: 8
Page Count: Unchanged at ½

Sidney Osinga

Feb 3, 2010, 02:08 am

The space cruiser in the Kree entry isn't new, it's from the Kree entry in #6 of the original Handbook series. It has just been recoloured and had some lines added around it.

sucellos11

Feb 3, 2010, 01:29 pm

Andy, your new approach on tackling the differences between TPB and HC entries is great! Looking forward to the rest.

Eduardo M.

Feb 3, 2010, 02:23 pm

Locust had only 1 page in both.

Andy E. Nystrom

Feb 4, 2010, 01:02 am

Sidney Osinga wrote:

The space cruiser in the Kree entry isn't new, it's from the Kree entry in #6 of the original Handbook series. It has just been recoloured and had some lines added around it.

Crap, i knew that one was coming because it was corrected before and I tried to keep and eye out for it, but somehow I missed it in the copying and pasting.
"Sorry about that, Chief!"

sucellos11 wrote:

Andy, your new approach on tackling the differences between TPB and HC entries is great! Looking forward to the rest.

Glad you like the new approach. While it results in some overlap of info, I think doing it this way makes it easier on potential consumers of hardcovers who already have older material. And because I have to go through each and every page of the old books, I'm catching characters I missed doing it that other way because they were half-pagers or renamed or both.

I must confess that this new approach was partly a "necessity is the mother of invention" thing. I was further behind on comparing some books than others so changing styles was partly to help me figure out what I had and hadn't covered.

My photostream (over 7.5 million photos!)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24917258@N05/

Board footera