Who Watches the Watchers - Forum for the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe & Similar Works 20 YEARS! 2004-2024

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/10/2020 9:29 am  #1

Official Index to the Marvel Universe #14

Historical text from Comixfan:

Eric J. Moreels

Nov 18, 2009, 10:15 am

Coming from Marvel in January...
OFFICIAL INDEX TO THE MARVEL UNIVERSE #14
Written by VARIOUS

Continuing the chronicle of the Marvel Universe, starting with Spider-Man (from Amazing Spider-Man #580 on), Iron Man (from War Machine #15 on) and the X-Men (from Classic X-Men #20 on). Follow the history of the Marvel universe as it unfolds month by month with the All-New Official Index to the Marvel Universe. Each issue provides synopses for dozens of individual comics, including back-up strips, introducing you to the characters, teams, places and equipment that appeared within, providing vital information about first appearances, where they last showed up and where they appeared next!

64 PGS./Rated A …$3.99

bigvis497

Nov 18, 2009, 12:22 pm

Not sure if these are the books I would choose to index next, but it does fit the theme. And hey, at least the indexes are continuing!

Stuart V

Nov 19, 2009, 04:50 pm

bigvis497 wrote:

Not sure if these are the books I would choose to index next, but it does fit the theme.

Both those titles are tied closely to the ones we've been covering (hence the slightly misleading "Iron Man from War Machine #..."), and they are short runs, so they should be completely covered in #14. We always said we wanted to cover some of the lesser titles in amongst the big hitters.

ToddCam

Dec 22, 2009, 05:46 pm

Damn. No solicit for #15. Guess it's been canceled. This really sucks. I loved this series.

bigvis497

Dec 22, 2009, 09:07 pm

ToddCam wrote:

Damn. No solicit for #15. Guess it's been canceled. This really sucks. I loved this series.

I noticed that too, bummer, I really liked these books as a companion to the handbooks.

Andy E. Nystrom

Dec 22, 2009, 10:46 pm

Hope they're just taking a month breather in preparation for the next wave. But even though the first Marvel indices preceeded the handbooks (they started appearing in the 1970s, albeit by other publishers), they've always seemed to have struggled to find a niche, moreso than the handbooks. Maybe it's partly an art thing: with handbooks you can choose the most exciting possible poses. With the indices you basically have to use the covers, which should be exciting but aren't always.

Stuart V

Dec 23, 2009, 05:13 am

ToddCam wrote:

It is indeed the end of this volume. We do have an Index solicit for this month, but that's for the collected Iron Man section.

Eric J. Moreels

Dec 23, 2009, 05:49 am

Stuart V wrote:

We do have an Index solicit for this month, but that's for the collected Iron Man section.

Yep, the Iron Man: Official Index to the Marvel Universe GN-TPB.

You can get more info & discuss here (http://www.comixfan.com/xfan/forums/...ad.php?t=47325).

Andy E. Nystrom

Dec 23, 2009, 12:35 pm

Stuart V wrote:

It is indeed the end of this volume. We do have an Index solicit for this month, but that's for the collected Iron Man section.

Hopefully this trade will create enough of a demand for more Index stuff. I'd suggest a Spider-Girl type campaign but, while equally passionate, I don't think index fans have the numbers of fans that May does.

Stuart V

Dec 23, 2009, 12:56 pm

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

Hopefully this trade will create enough of a demand for more Index stuff. I'd suggest a Spider-Girl type campaign but, while equally passionate, I don't think index fans have the numbers of fans that May does.

I also hope the trade will demonstrate there's a bigger market for the Index. That said, no need for a Spider-Girl campaign; I didn't say we were gone, just that #14 is the end of this volume.

Andy E. Nystrom

Dec 23, 2009, 11:02 pm

Stuart V wrote:

I also hope the trade will demonstrate there's a bigger market for the Index. That said, no need for a Spider-Girl campaign; I didn't say we were gone, just that #14 is the end of this volume.

Ah, good. So my "taking a breather" speculation a few posts up may not be entirely inaccurate. If the next volume uses the same title, it might be nice to see an homage to early 2000s titles and have "Issue 1 [15]"

Sidney Osinga

Feb 24, 2010, 05:14 pm

In the excitement of the Update, I guess this book was overshadowed. It came out today too. Here's what's in it:

Official Index to the Marvel Universe Listings (http://www.comixfan.com/xfan/forums/...ad.php?t=47074)

Also included is a War Machine chronology and a page of errata, although sadly, no names of people who pointed them out is listed.

shazam2271

Feb 24, 2010, 07:31 pm

Forgot all about this coming out today too. My copy will be on its way. Looking forward to it as well as the new Handbook. Wonder how they handled Spider-Man #583 and Spidey's meeting with his #1 political fan? Is it considered in continuity, or not? Seeing how issue 36 the 9/11 issue was considered in continuity, anything is possible.

Andy E. Nystrom

Feb 24, 2010, 09:17 pm

shazam2271 wrote:

Forgot all about this coming out today too. My copy will be on its way. Looking forward to it as well as the new Handbook. Wonder how they handled Spider-Man #583 and Spidey's meeting with his #1 political fan? Is it considered in continuity, or not? Seeing how issue 36 the 9/11 issue was considered in continuity, anything is possible.

The index treats it as in-continuity but to have it mesh better with an election time story, it's considered to take place between #589 and 590.

ToddCam

Feb 25, 2010, 09:19 am

I've only skimmed it so far, but I see that Classic X-Men didn't make it in after all. Why the change? Was it to get in Amazing Adventures/Adult Fantasy/Fantasy?

bigvis497

Feb 25, 2010, 09:56 am

Sidney Osinga wrote:

Also included is a War Machine chronology and a page of errata, although sadly, no names of people who pointed them out is listed.

Sidney, check the inside cover...

Sidney Osinga

Feb 25, 2010, 10:46 am

bigvis497 wrote:

Sidney, check the inside cover...

D'oh! Also, Whoo-Hoo!

Stuart V

Feb 25, 2010, 02:23 pm

ToddCam wrote:

I've only skimmed it so far, but I see that Classic X-Men didn't make it in after all. Why the change? Was it to get in Amazing Adventures/Adult Fantasy/Fantasy?

Partially, but more the Iron Man, to be honest. Tony only has one title to his name, so any Iron Man mini series needed to be covered here or not at all (well, not quite - we missed one or two in the end, but see the Iron Man Index TPB...). Spidey and X-Men have multiple titles to their names, so, in theory at least, we can cover other Spider-Man or X-Men related mini series under those other banners. Likewise, Amazing ... needed to go in the same block as Amazing Fantasy #15. We realised there wasn't space for all of Classic X-Men without losing those other series (and covering part was never an option), so we did a swap out for another, shortish run X-Men series, one we felt fitted well with Uncanny X-Men (since it is meant to bridge the reprint gap of the early X-Men run) and which we could cover in the available space. And, as a bonus, Hidden Years has never been indexed before, whereas Classic has been, so we got to cover new ground.

ToddCam

Feb 25, 2010, 05:11 pm

Oh, I didn't notice the thanks at first!

Another shout-out, nice! Thanks!

And this may be jumping the gun, but I guess I would like to see my real name in print some day, so if I ever actually point out a mistake again and I am lucky to get it printed, the name's Gil Aquino.

Roger Ott

Feb 25, 2010, 07:29 pm

ToddCam wrote:

the name's Gil Aquino.

Your name sounds like a comic book character.

Michael Regan

Feb 25, 2010, 07:51 pm

A fish themed Vegas hero.

Andy E. Nystrom

Feb 25, 2010, 10:58 pm

Stuart V wrote:

Partially, but more the Iron Man, to be honest. Tony only has one title to his name, so any Iron Man mini series needed to be covered here or not at all (well, not quite - we missed one or two in the end, but see the Iron Man Index TPB...). Spidey and X-Men have multiple titles to their names, so, in theory at least, we can cover other Spider-Man or X-Men related mini series under those other banners. Likewise, Amazing ... needed to go in the same block as Amazing Fantasy #15. We realised there wasn't space for all of Classic X-Men without losing those other series (and covering part was never an option), so we did a swap out for another, shortish run X-Men series, one we felt fitted well with Uncanny X-Men (since it is meant to bridge the reprint gap of the early X-Men run) and which we could cover in the available space. And, as a bonus, Hidden Years has never been indexed before, whereas Classic has been, so we got to cover new ground.

I was definitely glad to see Hidden Years covered. Partly because it had never been indexed before as you say, but also because it was a fun series. It allowed Byrne to play in a timeframe that deserved to be looked at, with fun characters at a time when their back story needed less of a flowchart. I hope the index encourages people to hunt down back issues.

golden_guardian

Feb 25, 2010, 11:34 pm

Hey, thanks for the shout-out guys. I really appreciate the work you guys have put into this series. It's probably my favorite one right now and I can't wait for more. Thanks again.
Query: I noticed that the errata deals with X-Men only. Is it because you guys will correct everything in the Iron Man and Spider-Man TPBs?

Sidney Osinga

Mar 2, 2010, 08:40 am

In the synopsis for Iron Man: the Inevitable #5, Greta Abbott is mentioned although she wasn't listed under villains. Either the mention is incorrect and she didn't appear in the book (I don't have it, so I don't know), or she was left out of the character section. If the latter is the case, then her "next in" in #3 and "last in" in #6 are in error also.

Norman Rocks

Jul 2, 2010, 11:07 pm

I'd like to see updates on this series every so often. If they ever decided to do an Amazing Spider-Man index they should start with 601, and do updates in the errata style for the previous issues. Thoughts?

Andy E. Nystrom

Jul 3, 2010, 04:05 am

Norman Rocks wrote:

I'd like to see updates on this series every so often. If they ever decided to do an Amazing Spider-Man index they should start with 601, and do updates in the errata style for the previous issues. Thoughts?

Funny, I was thinking something similar just today. The question would be how soon though, since a typical issue covered a few years of each title. Amazing Spider-Man is of course an exception to this (you could probably fill that one section of the index with a year's issues), but overall there's still the question of how long would it be before there was enough material. Maybe the previously planned Classic X-Men, the Amazing Adventures reprint series (X-Men), Marvel Double Feature reprint series (Cap/Iron Man) and the like could help fill the space.

Stuart V

Jul 5, 2010, 10:00 am

golden_guardian wrote:

Hey, thanks for the shout-out guys. I really appreciate the work you guys have put into this series. It's probably my favorite one right now and I can't wait for more. Thanks again.

Query: I noticed that the errata deals with X-Men only. Is it because you guys will correct everything in the Iron Man and Spider-Man TPBs?
Partly. Space has the most to do with it. But we do plan to fix the errata for the TPBs.

Sidney Osinga wrote:

In the synopsis for Iron Man: the Inevitable #5, Greta Abbott is mentioned although she wasn't listed under villains. Either the mention is incorrect and she didn't appear in the book (I don't have it, so I don't know), or she was left out of the character section. If the latter is the case, then her "next in" in #3 and "last in" in #6 are in error also.

I'll check.

Norman Rocks wrote:

I think we'd love to do so, though it might be harder to convince marketing to let us do it. But we might also theoretically include ASM post-600 as part of covering one of Spidey's other series, such as Spectacular.

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

Funny, I was thinking something similar just today. The question would be how soon though, since a typical issue covered a few years of each title. Amazing Spider-Man is of course an exception to this (you could probably fill that one section of the index with a year's issues), but overall there's still the question of how long would it be before there was enough material. Maybe the previously planned Classic X-Men, the Amazing Adventures reprint series (X-Men), Marvel Double Feature reprint series (Cap/Iron Man) and the like could help fill the space.

Again, we're hoping to cover other X-Men ongoing series down the line (sales permitting, as always), and include coverage of Classic X-Men or similar as part of that.

Norman Rocks

Jul 5, 2010, 06:44 pm

How significant do items have to be to be indexed? For example, if an issue has a car crash does the car count, but not if the characters reach their destination safely? What's the determining factor on what's listed?

Russ Chappell

Jul 5, 2010, 07:42 pm

Norman Rocks wrote:

How significant do items have to be to be indexed? For example, if an issue has a car crash does the car count, but not if the characters reach their destination safely? What's the determining factor on what's listed?

We list plot-specific items. Captain America sits in a chair? We don't list it. Captain America smashes a chair over Red Skull's head? We list it.

To answer your specific question, if a car was being used as transportation for a character, I'd list it, personally (although one of the head writers might take it out). If the car crashes, I'd definitely list it.

Russ

My photostream (over 7.5 million photos!)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24917258@N05/

Board footera