Who Watches the Watchers - Forum for the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe & Similar Works 20 YEARS! 2004-2024

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/10/2020 3:31 pm  #1

Wolverine, Punisher & Ghost Rider: Official Index to the Marvel Unive1

Historical text from Comixfan:

ultrabasurero

May 17, 2011, 01:32 pm

Coming from Marvel in August...

WOLVERINE, PUNISHER & GHOST RIDER: OFFICIAL INDEX TO THE MARVEL UNIVERSE #1
Written by VARIOUS
The chronicle of the Marvel Universe returns, delving into the history of three more of the House of Ideas’ most enduring titles! Return with us to the far-out ’70s and the gritty ’80s as we launch our coverage of Wolverine (from 1982’s Wolverine #1), the Punisher (from 1986’s Punisher #1) and Ghost Rider (from 1972’s Marvel Spotlight #5). Watch the Marvel Universe’s history unfold month by month as each issue provides synopses for dozens of individual comics, including backup strips — introducing the characters, teams, places and equipment that appeared within; and providing vital information about first appearances, where they last showed up and where they appeared next!
64 PGS./Rated A …$3.99

Wow. That was completely unexpected. I guess since these are more recent comics that this should be done is less issues unless they decide to do every single Wolverine miniseries and one shots.

captainswift

May 17, 2011, 01:53 pm

There's a lot more Wolverine and Punisher than Ghost Rider. Good choices, though, as none of this has been indexed before, and they mesh well together.

I do wish we'd gotten FF and the Hulk, though.

Roger Ott

May 17, 2011, 02:25 pm

captainswift wrote:

There's a lot more Wolverine and Punisher than Ghost Rider. Good choices, though, as none of this has been indexed before, and they mesh well together.

I do wish we'd gotten FF and the Hulk, though.

Agreed on the FF and Hulk. But this will be an interesting book. I wonder which section the Wolverine/Ghost Rider/Punisher: Hearts of Darkness book will fall under.

I also wonder if Ghost Rider will either get a smaller portion of each book, or when he's done they'll just fill in his spot with more of the other two, or fit in another like character. Seems like this would be a shorter run book overall, though, as none of these characters have the publication length of previous subjects.

Hopefully, Stuart will drop by and give us any additional details he can.

Stuart V

May 17, 2011, 05:02 pm

The intention is for this to be a slightly shorter run. Which just means we'd start a theoretical volume 4 a bit earlier...

ToddCam

May 17, 2011, 05:33 pm

Didn't John Blaze have his own series in the early 90s? That could be covered, too.

Roger Ott

May 17, 2011, 06:42 pm

ToddCam wrote:

Didn't John Blaze have his own series in the early 90s? That could be covered, too.

Yeah, Blaze had a 4-issue series in 1993, and a 12-issue series in 1994.

There was also the Ghost Rider/Blaze: Spirits of Vengeance 23 issues launched in 1992

Andy E. Nystrom

May 21, 2011, 04:02 am

Stuart V wrote:

The intention is for this to be a slightly shorter run. Which just means we'd start a theoretical volume 4 a bit earlier...

It will be interesting to see how that pans out. I can see this taking a life of its own and becoming almost as big.

Things I'd like to see either in the main title or the trades, beyond the stuff that we can safely assume will be covered:

All:
Various reprint titles. Heck, seeing the Essentials covered could be fun, particularly since stories sometimes undergo cosmetic changes beyond the B&W. Any movie tie-ins

GHOST RIDER
Marvel's western series (I'd also like to see Magazine Enterprise's western series since it's the obvious inspiration for Marvel's western Ghostg Riders, but getting the proper permissions for that might be difficult)
Champions (he's the member with the most successful solo titles)

PUNISHER
Archie Meets the Punisher (I realize that permmissions would need to be secured, but Archie might be agreeable since it's a single index entry)
The MAX version
Punisher Armory

WOLVERINE
The two Handbooks
Wolverine Saga
Marvel Comics Presents issues featuring him (normally I'd just assume they'd be in there, but he's in a large number of them)

Sidney Osinga

May 21, 2011, 01:40 pm

I wonder if the 6 issue Kitty Pryde and Wolverine series will be included?

Andy E. Nystrom

May 22, 2011, 01:39 am

Sidney Osinga wrote:

I wonder if the 6 issue Kitty Pryde and Wolverine series will be included?

I'd be shocked if it wasn't because it was definitely part of the path to the Wolverine ongoing (plus it's the most logical place to index that title).

ToddCam

Aug 10, 2011, 10:17 am

When does this come out?

jephyork

Aug 10, 2011, 10:18 am

Today!!! :cheers:

-Jeph!

slevin87

Aug 10, 2011, 07:41 pm

Here's what in this one:
Marvel Spotlight #5-11
Ghost Rider #1-40
Punisher (mini-series) #1-5
Punisher (ongoing series) #1-35
Punisher Annual #1-3
Wolverine (mini-series) #1-4
Kitty Pryde and Wolverine #1-6
Spider-Man versus Wolverine
The Best of Marvel Comics
Wolverine (ongoing series) #1-32
Wolverine/Nick Fury: The Scorpio Connection
Wolverine: The Jungle Adventure

Pretty good selection of books there, I think.

Andy E. Nystrom

Aug 11, 2011, 02:18 am

Definitely a fun volume. Interesting that Spider-Man vs Wolverine got covered again, probably because it was just one issue

A few suggestions for the likely trades:

Ghost Rider#11: Maybe note that the skull-cycle's first in-story appearance was in that issue but that it was first seen on the cover of the previous issue (the deadline doom thing)

Ghost Rider#24: Under Notes, Scourge's story was first revealed to be a lie in OHMU: DE#11.

Punisher (1986)#1: Under Notes, add: #1-4 erroneously state on the cover that the series is four issues instead of five.

Punisher (1987)#1: Under Notes, tt might be worth mentioning that initial issues were one every 6 weeks

Wolverine#19: Under Villains, as per the similar Punisher entries, the villains should be referred to as the Acts of Vengeance conspirators/Prime Movers

ToddCam

Aug 11, 2011, 10:22 am

Good stuff, though I have to say Punisher is one of my least favorite characters, so I won't be reading his section very thoroughly.

Why was Spider-Man Vs. Wolverine covered again?

jephyork

Aug 11, 2011, 06:19 pm

For the benefit of Wolverine fans who may not have bought the Spidey index.

And hey, it gave us a chance to do some polishing, and add the 2nd-print cover.

-Jeph!

Andy E. Nystrom

Aug 18, 2011, 07:44 pm

One question that just occurred to me today: why weren't the Punisher's earliest solo adventures (e.g. in Marvel Super Action) included?

Stuart V

Aug 18, 2011, 09:05 pm

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

One question that just occurred to me today: why weren't the Punisher's earliest solo adventures (e.g. in Marvel Super Action) included?

It was considered, but we'd only be covering that one issue of that series, and we tend to prefer to cover the entire series. This is an Index of Punisher comics, not an index of the Punisher (character)'s appearances.

My photostream (over 7.5 million photos!)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24917258@N05/

Board footera