Who Watches the Watchers - Forum for the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe & Similar Works 20 YEARS! 2004-2024

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/23/2020 12:44 pm  #1

Vampires: The Marvel Undead

Historical text from Comixfan:
ultrabasurero
Jul 25, 2011, 09:14 am

Coming from Marvel in October...

VAMPIRES: THE MARVEL UNDEAD
Written by VARIOUS
Penciled by VARIOUS
Cover by TIM SEELEY
The OFFICIAL HANDBOOK OF THE MARVEL UNIVERSE takes a dark turn with this collection of all-new profiles! Featuring the vilest vampires (Dracula himself! Dracula’s children: Lilith, Janus and Xarus! Two Baron Bloods! Varnae, the first
vampire!), the heroes that hunt them (Blade/Eric Brooks! Rachel Van Helsing! Hannibal King! Quincy Harker!), newly converted bloodsuckers (Spitfire/Jacqueline Falsworth! The X-Men’s Jubilee!) and an expanded profile on all Marvel’s
vampires! Plus: the terror of the Hellcow!? With new images by PATRICK SCHERBERGER, STEVE KURTH and GUS VAZQUEZ!
64 PGS./Handbook/Rated T+ …$3.99

Seems like there's going to be quite a few updated/duplicate profiles. Well, whatever gives us new profiles is always good.

bigvis497
 Jul 25, 2011, 01:26 pm

Comic book vampires don't really do much for me, might have to take a wait and see approach to this. Nice to see original art by three different artists now.

Eduardo M.
Jul 25, 2011, 02:59 pm

I'm curious to see why some are getting profiles in this. I could see Dracula, Blade, and Jubilee getting updates but has enough gone on with Spitfire, Varnae, Hellcow, and Lilith to give them new entries?

Hopefully some more characters from Tomb of Dracula will get covered. I've been dying (no pun intended) to see write-ups on Clifford Graves and Taj Nital. Heck I'd be tickled pink to see a modern profile on Harold H Harold.

Roger Ott Jul 27, 2011, 10:53 am

I still think this book should have been called Tome of Dracula.

That was Madison's idea, btw, so I can't take credit for it.

Captainswift
Jul 27, 2011, 11:17 am
Eduardo M. I'm curious to see why some are getting profiles in this. I could see Dracula, Blade, and Jubilee getting updates but has enough gone on with Spitfire, Varnae, Hellcow, and Lilith to give them new entries?

Hellcow's number of appearances has literally doubled since her last entry, so there's that.

Eduardo M. Jul 27, 2011, 04:28 pm

Roger Ott wrote:

I still think this book should have been called Tome of Dracula.

That was Madison's idea, btw, so I can't take credit for it.

Nice. that wouldve been a good title

Sidney Osinga
Jul 27, 2011, 06:37 pm

I wonder if the profiles of the characters who have been already covered will get full entries or just one page updates.

Nice to see two characters on my list (Rachel Van Helsing and Quincey Harker) are going to be covered.Also, I hope that Frank Drake will be covered.

Roger Ott
Jul 27, 2011, 08:32 pm

This book will have a very interesting mix of vampire characters. Anybody who's a fan of Marvel's neck-biters should be satisfied.

bigvis497
Jul 28, 2011, 12:04 am

Any chance of a Rune profile? (I know, I know )

Stuart V
 Jul 29, 2011, 10:47 am

A request for help: part of the book is an appendix on as many Marvel vampires as we can find, but we're having difficulty sourcing some images and info on a few Atlas/Timely era vamps. If anyone here might be able to assist with any of the following, please drop me an e-mail at http://web.archive.org/web/20160216122048/ohotmu@gmail.com">http://web.archive.org/web/20160216122048/ohotmu@gmail.com, the handbook e-mail address.

Baron Emile de Sevigny
(Journey into Unknown Worlds #28, 1954) – IMAGE ONLY

Zorni Iregszemcse
Suspense #23 (1952)IVAR, JOSEF - vampire
--Journey into Unknown Worlds #22 (1953)

IVAR, YLLA – vampire
--Journey into Unknown Worlds #22 (1953)

Count Varnis – IMAGE ONLY - Captain America Comics #24, Page 8, Panel 7

Count Vicaro – IMAGE ONLY - Marvel Mystery Comics #35 (1942), Page 10 of Angel story, Panel 3 (man in orange)

Wanda Warren
(Spellbound #7, 1952) - the Vampire’s bride

skippcomet
Jul 29, 2011, 04:48 pm

Looking at the cover image, I recognize most of those present, but not all. Does anybody know who the mummy-looking character in the back, on the right-hand side, is? Or the blond on the left of the center-dwelling couple is?

bomaya
Aug 3, 2011, 02:18 pm

Stuart V wrote:

A request for help: part of the book is an appendix on as many Marvel vampires as we can find, but we're having difficulty sourcing some images and info on a few Atlas/Timely era vamps.

Stuart, If you haven't already, have you tried the Marvel Masterworks boards for this?

Eduardo M.
Aug 3, 2011, 02:54 pm

skippcomet wrote:

Looking at the cover image, I recognize most of those present, but not all. Does anybody know who the mummy-looking character in the back, on the right-hand side, is? Or the blond on the left of the center-dwelling couple is?

I'm guessing the mummy-looking person is a member of the Mortuus Invitus. The blonde guy for some reason is making me think of Vic Slaughter
Stuart V
Aug 3, 2011, 05:32 pm

bomaya wrote:

Stuart, If you haven't already, have you tried the Marvel Masterworks boards for this?

Same day I asked here. We've tracked down most of them, and found others we didn't know about from the Timely and Atlas era. We're bound to miss a few - the Atlas era in particular was monster heavy and is not readily accessible or annotated, but it's still going to be a pretty comprehensive list. Or, to put it another way, the Deluxe Edition's entry for vampires covered 12 individual vamps; the more recent HC entry had headshots for 54 individual vamps; this appendix is well into the hundreds.
JusticeGH
Aug 3, 2011, 05:50 pm

Eduardo M. wrote:

I'm guessing the mummy-looking person is a member of the Mortuus Invitus. The blonde guy for some reason is making me think of Vic Slaughter

The blond guy is Xarus.

Captain Morgan
Sep 3, 2011, 04:03 pm

skippcomet wrote:

He looks like a Klaw sect vampire to me.

Phoenixx9
Sep 3, 2011, 07:17 pm

I'm glad it states that there will be expanded profiles on all Marvel's vampires.

And HellCow too!

Eduardo M. Sep 3, 2011, 09:22 pm

Phoenixx9 wrote:

I'm glad it states that there will be expanded profiles on all Marvel's vampires.

And HellCow too!

I'm very curious to see what the heck you could add to Hellcow's entry.

captainswift
Sep 3, 2011, 09:29 pm

Eduardo M. wrote:

As I said earlier, Hellcow's number of appearances have doubled since her last profile. There is literally twice as much information about Hellcow now.

Stuart V
Sep 3, 2011, 09:30 pm

Phoenixx9 wrote:

Misreading that - expanded Vampires entry, not an expanded entry for every previously covered vampire. Several of the entries covering previously covered vamps are expanded, and all, where relevent, are updated, but a few of the entries are largely unchanged, mainly in the cases where the vamp hasn't done anything since the last entry.

Phoenixx9 wrote:

Her team-up with Deadpool.

Phoenixx9
Sep 4, 2011, 07:37 pm

Ah, thanks Stuart. Yep, I did misread that. I thought I must have missed a lot of vampire activity! Especially for someone like Spitfire, that I didn't think had any new coverage.

But I loves me my vampires, 'dats for sure. And I loves me Hellcow! But never thought she would team up with Deadpool!

Eduardo M.
Sep 12, 2011, 01:17 pm

Stuart V wrote:

Her team-up with Deadpool.

a Deadpool/Hellcow teamup? I am morbidly curious. I may just track the comic down

William Keogh
 Sep 12, 2011, 01:46 pm

It was in the Deadpool Team Up series, a few months back.

Eduardo M.
Sep 12, 2011, 02:29 pm

William Keogh wrote:

It was in the Deadpool Team Up series, a few months back.

That's what I figured.

Phoenixx9
 Sep 12, 2011, 04:25 pm

I love Hellcow.

I am glad Hellcow is remembered by writers so that she can be teamed her with Deadpool! (And, other characters too!)

Stuart V
Sep 12, 2011, 04:46 pm

Phoenixx9 wrote:

I love Hellcow.

I am glad Hellcow is remembered by writers so that she can be teamed her with Deadpool! (And, other characters too!)

It was good of her to come out of retirement to help boost Deadpool's ailing career. I guess now though it's only a matter of time - Hellcow vs. Pet Avengers!

Andy E. Nystrom Sep 12, 2011, 10:23 pm

Stuart V wrote:

It was good of her to come out of retirement to help boost Deadpool's ailing career. I guess now though it's only a matter of time - Hellcow vs. Pet Avengers!

Which would be great for people who can't get enough of good ol' Bessie. Since Pet Avengers isn't 616 that would mean there'd be at least two Hellcows running around. You could raise the steaks, er stakes (both puns intended) by having a crossover between the 616 and the Pet Avengers world, with the two Hellcows teaming up.

Phoenixx9
Sep 13, 2011, 06:07 am

Yes!

Go Bessie, Go Bessie, Go Bessie!

2 Hellcows!

Now you're just blowin' my mind! :jaw:

Eduardo M.
Sep 13, 2011, 10:32 am

Has Vixen been used lately? Maybe she and Bessie can start up a Pet Masters of Evil?

Phoenixx9
Sep 13, 2011, 05:46 pm

:mwahaha: Maybe Hellcow can mesmorize the Pet Avengers into becoming her new team....

Hellcow and the Evil Allies :mwahaha:

skippcomet
Sep 17, 2011, 04:11 pm

A question has recently occurred to me: Will this vampire-centric handbook deal mostly with vampires from the supernatural end of the spectrum (and the people who fight or befriend them), or is there a possibility of vampiric characters who are closer to the Morbius the Living Vampire side of the vampire spectrum being included? I'm not asking for an update on Morbius (although that would be cool if it's warranted) but this would be as good a place as any for, say, an entry on Martine Bancroft or Bloodthirst.

Madison Carter
Sep 17, 2011, 05:28 pm

only true vampires are included, none of the pseudo-vamps like Morbius.

Stuart V
Sep 17, 2011, 05:45 pm

Madison Carter wrote:

only true vampires are included, none of the pseudo-vamps like Morbius.

Yes, Baron Blood was quite insistent about keeping the book "pure" and we didn't want to argue with him.

DrGoodwrench
Oct 22, 2011, 01:28 pm

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

Which would be great for people who can't get enough of good ol' Bessie. Since Pet Avengers isn't 616 that would mean there'd be at least two Hellcows running around. You could raise the steaks, er stakes (both puns intended) by having a crossover between the 616 and the Pet Avengers world, with the two Hellcows teaming up.

I haven't been on these boards for a while, but I didn't know Pet Avengers wasn't 616. Is that true for all of the Pet Avengers series? It seems weird that Fin Fang 4 is 616 and Pet Avengers isn't.

More on topic again, I'm quite excited about this. I bought Essential Tomb of Dracula volumes 3 and 4 from a charity shop and had some very enjoyable train journeys with them. It'll be nice to see some of the characters in colour. I wanted to pick up the first two volumes, but the first one seems incredibly expensive now. Weird for an Essential book.

captainswift
Oct 22, 2011, 01:46 pm

DrGoodwrench wrote:

More on topic again, I'm quite excited about this. I bought Essential Tomb of Dracula volumes 3 and 4 from a charity shop and had some very enjoyable train journeys with them. It'll be nice to see some of the characters in colour. I wanted to pick up the first two volumes, but the first one seems incredibly expensive now. Weird for an Essential book.

If you can find a copy for cheaps, I'd definitely recommend it. ToD is a good read from beginning to end, but especially after Marv Wolfman saddled in as writer.

Andy E. Nystrom
Oct 22, 2011, 03:54 pm

DrGoodwrench wrote:

I haven't been on these boards for a while, but I didn't know Pet Avengers wasn't 616. Is that true for all of the Pet Avengers series? It seems weird that Fin Fang 4 is 616 and Pet Avengers isn't.

My understanding is that with the Pet Avengers books there are some continuity issues that Fin Fang Four, while "out there" doesn't have, so it's not a matter at how strange the title is. I can't recall what they are off the top of my head though.

Madison Carter
Oct 23, 2011, 08:23 am

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

My understanding is that with the Pet Avengers books there are some continuity issues that Fin Fang Four, while "out there" doesn't have, so it's not a matter at how strange the title is. I can't recall what they are off the top of my head though.

Pet Avengers' biggest issue was the Infinity Gems. There were other issues (Lockjaw still being on Earth, for one) but given the storylines dealing with the Gems in 616, it was ruled by editorial that it just couldn't fit.

Phoenixx9
Oct 23, 2011, 11:06 am

Ah, poor ole Pet Avengers....

Just what Earth are they said to be from, then?

Madison Carter
Oct 23, 2011, 03:34 pm

I'm not sure if we've had the opportunity to properly designate them yet. If anywhere, they'd be in the list of alt realities we did as an appendix some time back.

Phoenixx9
Oct 23, 2011, 04:08 pm

Oh, no Madison!

Don't lose them in the space-time continuum of alternate realities! (LOL.)

They should have their own, newly designated Earth of Earth-P (for Pets) where the humans are powerless and only the pets have powers and can even break the 4th wall!

Eduardo M.
Oct 23, 2011, 06:11 pm

Phoenixx9 wrote:

Oh, no Madison!

They should have their own, newly designated Earth of Earth-P (for Pets) where the humans are powerless and only the pets have powers and can even break the 4th wall!

Is Earth-4663269 taken? That could be their home reality. (Bonus points ti whoever can guess how I came up with that number)

captainswift Oct 23, 2011, 06:58 pm

Phoenixx9 wrote:

Oh, no Madison!

While a reality like that can't be ruled out, we've already seen superhumans in in the Marvel Pets reality. In fact, it doesn't seem much different from the mainstream MU other than a few key differences, notably Aunt May having an annoying dog.

Meantime, I figure it's only a matter of time before some popular writer (Slott or Bendis or somefin') decides to use the Marvel Pets in a mainstream story and editorial does a 180. It happened with Nextwave.

DrGoodwrench
Oct 23, 2011, 07:08 pm

captainswift wrote:

While a reality like that can't be ruled out, we've already seen superhumans in in the Marvel Pets reality. In fact, it doesn't seem much different from the mainstream MU other than a few key differences, notably Aunt May having an annoying dog.

Is there any reason that it can't be the Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends universe then? That's where Ms Lion's from, isn't it?
Andy E. Nystrom
Oct 23, 2011, 08:29 pm

DrGoodwrench wrote:

Is there any reason that it can't be the Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends universe then? That's where Ms Lion's from, isn't it?

That would make sense, but can't be assumed until more concrete evidence appears. Just as Henry Peter Gyrich has been said in interviews to be Peter the Little Pest but there's not enough evidence in the stories to confirm this (I hope some writer takes the plunge someday).

captainswift
Oct 23, 2011, 08:51 pm

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

That would make sense, but can't be assumed until more concrete evidence appears. Just as Henry Peter Gyrich has been said in interviews to be Peter the Little Pest but there's not enough evidence in the stories to confirm this (I hope some writer takes the plunge someday).

I have not heard this, but consider it awesome. The resemblance is uncanny.

Stuart V
Oct 24, 2011, 09:57 am

Less than two days now till this comes out. Over two dozen entries with new art...

William Keogh
Oct 24, 2011, 01:45 pm

Note to self: reserve a copy!

Phoenixx9
Oct 24, 2011, 03:31 pm

Can't wait for this book!

Stuart V
Oct 24, 2011, 05:16 pm

Stuart V wrote:

Less than two days now till this comes out. Over two dozen entries with new art...

...dozens of full entries on vampires, including many who have never had an entry before...

captainswift Oct 24, 2011, 06:40 pm

Stuart V wrote:

...dozens of full entries on vampires, including many who have never had an entry before...

More headshots in a single entry than ever before...

Phoenixx9
Oct 25, 2011, 10:02 am

Stuart V wrote:

...I can't wait!....

captainswift wrote:

...Ahhhh! Just one more day before it comes out! So much gooey badness (well, being vampires and all, "goodness" just didn't seem right!) in one issue!...

Stuart V Oct 25, 2011, 11:21 am

captainswift wrote:

...in an entry that covers hundreds of vampires from the Golden Age to the present day...

Phoenixx9
Oct 25, 2011, 01:22 pm

Stuart V wrote:

...in an entry that covers hundreds of vampires from the Golden Age to the present day...

Now you are just torturing us...!
Madison Carter
Oct 25, 2011, 01:34 pm

Stuart V wrote:

...of which the text is printed in blood...

oh, wait.

William Keogh
Oct 25, 2011, 02:18 pm

As a bonus, we'd love to have a Gus Vasquez sketch of Blade holding the severed head of Edward Cullen. :Yes:

Eduardo M. Oct 25, 2011, 04:44 pm

William Keogh wrote:

As a bonus, we'd love to have a Gus Vasquez sketch of Blade holding the severed head of Edward Cullen. :Yes:

Please don't get my hopes up like that

William Keogh
Oct 25, 2011, 06:05 pm

I have a friend who has to put money in a cuss jar if she says anything related to Twilight, so I couldn't resist....

PaxHouse
Oct 25, 2011, 06:16 pm

William Keogh wrote:

I have a friend who has to put money in a cuss jar if she says anything related to Twilight, so I couldn't resist....

Must be making a fortune by now... :Wink: $

William Keogh
Oct 25, 2011, 06:33 pm

On the other hand, I have to feed the cuss jar whenever I mention anything winter related.

When I do a Twilight related blog in time for the next movie, she'll be tossing money in by the bucket. :Tongue:

Stuart V  
Oct 26, 2011, 07:28 am

Out today!

Entries (with page counts) for:

Amenhotep 1
Aqueos 1
Baron Blood (Falsworth) 2
Baron Blood (Crichton) 1
Baroness Blood 1
Black Baron 1
Blade update 2
Lucas Cross 1
Dracula update 2
Frank Drake 2
Deacon Frost 1
Quincy Harker 2
Harold H. Harold 1
Hellcow 1
Janus 2
Jubilee update 1
Hannibal King 2
Lilith (Dracula's daughter) 2
Night Terror 1
Taj Nital 1
Nina Price 1
Silvereyes 1
Spitfire update 1
Victor Strange 1
Thakorr 2
Tryks 1
Vampires 6
Vampires appendix 11
Rachel van Helsing 2
Varnae 2
Verdelet 1
Lucy Westenra 1
Xarus 1

and half-pagers:
Nicholas Bordia
Lucas Brand
Draconis
Edith Harker
Nimrod the First
Adri Nital
Nocturne (First Line foe)
Lord Ruthven
Topher
Torgo
Turac
Varney

bigvis497
Oct 26, 2011, 09:21 am

Quite a few more repeats then usual, but I can understand given the source material. Looking forward to the individual Vampire Hunter profiles.

Eduardo M.
Oct 26, 2011, 10:29 am

Wow. Hellcow gets a promotion. Nice to see Taj Nital gets an entry. I think he was the last of the major Vampire Hunters from Tomb of Dracula to get a Handbook entry.

Stuart V
Oct 26, 2011, 10:44 am

One of the things I really like is that all three Baron Bloods (counting Victor Strange) have new art, but, despite all of them wearing more or less identical costumes, you could stand the three images next to one another without labeling who was who, and any reader who knows the characters should be able to figure out who each one is.

Sidney Osinga
Oct 26, 2011, 12:45 pm

Here's a list of the repeated entries and how they differ from the ones in the Hardcovers:

Baroness Blood – new main image, no apparent text changes

Dracula update – in the second paragraph, it reads “…van Helsing and Harker were apparently slain by Dracula in 1899 and mid-World War I. In 1923, …” to “…cast into limbo’s demon-planes. but not before Harker fathered…” It looks like two new sentences were placed in the middle of an existing one.

Furthermore, the events in the Dracula event don’t seem to match up with the ones in Quincy Harker’s entry. In Dracula’s it’s implied that Abraham van Helsing died in 1899, but in Harker’s it said that he was still alive when Harker’s parents were murdered. Also, since the event’s that became the Dracula novel was stated to have happened in 1890 and Harker was 16 when his parents died, that would make the earliest date for their deaths 1906. However, the Dracula entry implies that it happen during WWI, which would make his year of birth around 1900, so either he was born after van Helsing died or would have still been a baby; either way, van Helsing would have bee unable to train him as stated. Harker’s entry also states that Abraham van Helsing was still alive when Rachel van Helsing was nine and that she was his granddaughter, while her entry doesn’t say he was alive and that she was his great-granddaughter. One way to explain this is if Abraham van Helsing had a son also named Abraham, and it was the son that Harker’s entry referred to.

Hellcow – went from ½ page to full page; new main image, old one now secondary, new secondary image; most text from original entry carried over

Janus – went from one page to two; new main image, old one now secondary, 2 new secondary images, revised caption on one old secondary image; most text from original entry carried over

Hannibal King – went from one page to two; 3 new secondary images; some text carried over from original entry

Lilith- short new paragraph added at the end of history; Angel O’Hara headshot recolored; no apparent text changes

Nina Price –formerly Vampire by Night; image reversed; no other changes noted

Victor Strange – new main image; no apparent text changes

Thakorr – went from one page to two; new main image, old one now secondary, two new secondary images; some text carried over from original entry

Vampires – page count reduced by one; new main image, 4 secondary images removed, one cropped partially, one cropped into inset, one secondary image replaced, 13 new secondary images, headshots removed; list of known members removed; in Traits section, six paragraphs merged into two (three into one in both cases) with some rewriting, one paragraph (about the Tryks) removed (probably due to them getting their own entry) with three new sentences added to preceding paragraph, two new paragraphs added; in History section, one sentence removed from what was the last paragraph, new paragraph added at end; probably some other minor rewrites I missed

Varnae – new main image; second last sentence in history revised

captainswift
Oct 26, 2011, 03:56 pm

re: Harker and Dracula
As I wrote both, I can only offer this. The Harker info is all straight from the Tomb of Dracula stories. I wrote this profile early in the process and it was approved and sent. I picked up Dracula from another writer later in the day, and the information was from newer comics by other writers. I and the senior writerd did a lot of rewriting to make Drac's pofile consistent with itself but it never got around to seeing how it might affect Harker. I dropped the ball on Abraham's timeline, but we'll get it fixed if/when it's reprinted.

DrGoodwrench
Oct 26, 2011, 08:12 pm

I haven't read any of the recent X-Men vampire issues, so I'm not sure if this was covered, but the Vampires entry describes the Adze as being African vampires based in Guyana. Are they supposed to have gone across in the 17th century but kept their African culture? The text mentions that vampires spread to the Americas in this period.

Andy E. Nystrom
Oct 26, 2011, 08:51 pm

A couple of questions about the issue:

Why didn't the Blade Doppleganger at least get a mention in the otherwise extremely thorough Appendix.

Also, unlike most themed handbooks, this one actually has an issue 1 on the cover. Does that mean that a second issue is at least being mulled over?

Stuart V Oct 26, 2011, 10:13 pm

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

A couple of questions about the issue:

Why didn't the Blade Doppleganger at least get a mention in the otherwise extremely thorough Appendix.

Also, unlike most themed handbooks, this one actually has an issue 1 on the cover. Does that mean that a second issue is at least being mulled over?

I guess the doppelganger, being an artificial construct, wasn't counted as a real vampire. But I'll double check. And not as far as we know, but we don't put or not put the numbers on the cover.

Roger Ott
Oct 27, 2011, 08:48 am

Stuart V wrote:

but we don't put or not put the numbers on the cover.

If we did, they'd also still say "Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe" at least somewhere on the cover...

Phoenixx9
Oct 27, 2011, 11:40 am

Roger Ott wrote:

If we did, they'd also still say "Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe" at least somewhere on the cover...

Yeah, I would prefer OHOTMU on the cover. Sad that it has been removed for some time now.

Eduardo M.
Oct 27, 2011, 02:58 pm

Just walked in the door from pciking this up. I like what I see so far. Nice artwork on profiles like Amenhotep, Hellcow, Dracula, and Jubilee. The Vampire Appendix was a cool feature. I'm suprised it came right after the Vampire entry and not at the back of the book.

Phoenixx9
Oct 27, 2011, 03:11 pm

I too like the idea of the Appendix.

Is something that future HBs will also have?

William Keogh
Oct 27, 2011, 06:06 pm

I've got a hold on it, but I won't get a chance to pick it up until the weekend or so...

Roger Ott
Oct 27, 2011, 06:50 pm

Phoenixx9 wrote:

I too like the idea of the Appendix.

Is something that future HBs will also have?

I'd say they're always a possibility if the subject matter warrants it. However, these things are a chore! I'm not the biggest vampire fan, so my input on this HB was minimal, but for the guys who had the background for it, this Appendix took a looong time from start to finish.

Andy E. Nystrom
Oct 27, 2011, 07:21 pm

Roger Ott wrote:

I'd say they're always a possibility if the subject matter warrants it. However, these things are a chore! I'm not the biggest vampire fan, so my input on this HB was minimal, but for the guys who had the background for it, this Appendix took a looong time from start to finish.

I can imagine, ironically enough, the writers of the Appendix being grateful for the Comics Code, because there were no new vampires during the second half of the 1950s nor the 1960s, as that was when the Code was at its most stringent.

Sidney Osinga
Oct 27, 2011, 10:23 pm

I noticed that any vampire that appeared in Conan books weren't pictured. Did this have something to do with copyright? And what does it mean in regards for characters that appeareed in licenced books, such as the Set-spawned Serpant Men, getting entries?

Stuart V
Oct 28, 2011, 02:46 am

Sidney Osinga wrote:

I noticed that any vampire that appeared in Conan books weren't pictured. Did this have something to do with copyright? And what does it mean in regards for characters that appeareed in licenced books, such as the Set-spawned Serpant Men, getting entries?

Yes, it is a copyright issue, and yes, it would also potentially affect other groups - can't say for sure that the Serpent Men would be off limits without checking on them specifically, but they could well be.

slevin87
Oct 28, 2011, 02:49 pm

Noticed that a few of the vampires given full names in the appendix had the same names as actors who've played vampires. George Amplas shares his last name with John Amplas, who played the title character in George Romero's MARTIN. Gustav Nakszynski is probably named after Klaus Kinski, who starred in Werner Herzog's NOSFERATU THE VAMPYRE and was born Klaus Günter Karl Nakszynski. Szilard Blasko has the same surname as Hungarian actor Bela Blasko, who later changed it to Lugosi. I assume he needs no introduction. I thought it was a nice touch.

Stuart V
Oct 28, 2011, 05:57 pm

slevin87 wrote:

Noticed that a few of the vampires given full names in the appendix had the same names as actors who've played vampires. George Amplas shares his last name with John Amplas, who played the title character in George Romero's MARTIN. Gustav Nakszynski is probably named after Klaus Kinski, who starred in Werner Herzog's NOSFERATU THE VAMPYRE and was born Klaus Günter Karl Nakszynski. Szilard Blasko has the same surname as Hungarian actor Bela Blasko, who later changed it to Lugosi. I assume he needs no introduction. I thought it was a nice touch.

:chin: :whistle:

captainswift
Oct 28, 2011, 11:08 pm

Meanwhile, I named vampires after black-and-white era comedy duos...

Rayeye
Nov 4, 2011, 04:46 pm

Just finally got this one today. Here's my first impression:

I see it contains some more than usual re-used or updated profiles which I can totally understand because we now have a complete handbook of Marvel's most important vampires (something I missed a little in the Fear Itself: Fellowship of Fear handbook).

Nice work done on the huge vampires appendix, guys!

I really really really like the new art! I also love it because it is now done by not only Gus Vasquez but also Steve Kurth and Patrick Scherberger (I like his vampires!). This diversity of art I missed a little in the last handbooks, when Vasquez alone did the new art (no offence to him, because I am a fan of his work, it's just that I like the mix of various art styles). So I hope this will be continued in upcoming handbooks.

I must confess I am really addicted to the handbooks! :Nerd:

Roger Ott
Nov 4, 2011, 07:06 pm

Rayeye wrote:

I must confess I am really addicted to the handbooks! :Nerd:

They're better than crack!

Eduardo M.
Nov 4, 2011, 07:19 pm

Roger Ott wrote:

They're better than crack!

Indeed. Which is why I'm wondering how I will survive until the Defenders Handbook comes out in December. I ordered the Beast Wars Sourcebook TPB from IDW and the Civil War Companion but I read them both already.

I also picked up the Index to Amazing Spider-Man at my LCS. Hopefully that will last me.

Phoenixx9
Nov 5, 2011, 01:50 pm

:chin: I'm a curious as to what the year 2012 has in store for us, Handbook wise!

Eduardo M.
Nov 5, 2011, 07:26 pm

Phoenixx9 wrote:

:chin: I'm a curious as to what the year 2012 has in store for us, Handbook wise!

Maybe Handbooks for Spidey and the Avengers to go with their movies? Maybe also something that can go with the new Ghost Rider movie? (a Midnight Sons handbook?)

Sidney Osinga
Nov 6, 2011, 12:31 am

In the Turac entry, it said the attack that fell the human Dracula came from the east, while Bizarre Adventures #33 said that the attack came from the west after Dracula had mistakenly placed his troops on the eastern front. Which is correct?

Roger Ott
Nov 6, 2011, 01:15 pm

Eduardo M. wrote:

Which is why I'm wondering how I will survive until the Defenders Handbook comes out in December.

You can pick up the HISTORY OF THE MARVEL UNIVERSE this month

viewtopic.php?f=67&t=1448

While not a Handbook itself, it is written by some of the fine folks who write for the Handbooks.

tolnex
Nov 20, 2011, 09:06 pm

bloody hell - i can't believed i missed this one! first time for everything i guess, and of course my LCS has sold out of this too!

anyone based in Australia who can sort a brother out? :Wink:

chz

Andy E. Nystrom
Dec 9, 2011, 01:58 pm

Gradually working my way through adding the Appendix to the Master List. Is Despondency Delight a code name or a colourful real name? Unfortunately there was no vampire in the Appendix whose name fell alphabetically between "Delight" and "Despondency" that I could use as a cue

Rayeye
Dec 15, 2011, 06:25 pm

Just finished this issue and I really enjoyed it. I really liked Scherberger's art. Any chance he will be doing new handbooks (together with Gus Vasquez) in the future?

The vampires appendix was very nice! Lot of obscure characters. One who I missed in the appendix were the Bate-Bola Boys who were a vampire gang in Wolverine: Black Rio.

I was also wondering why Abraham van Helsing didn't get a profile. I mean he was one of the great vampire hunters.
I hoped Bloodstorm (Mutant X) was also in the book, but she was not even in the appendix. I guess that's because she belongs to an alternate reality.

Roger Ott
Dec 16, 2011, 08:47 am

Rayeye wrote:

Just finished this issue and I really enjoyed it. I really liked Scherberger's art. Any chance he will be doing new handbooks (together with Gus Vasquez) in the future?

The vampires appendix was very nice! Lot of obscure characters. One who I missed in the appendix were the Bate-Bola Boys who were a vampire gang in Wolverine: Black Rio.

I was also wondering why Abraham van Helsing didn't get a profile. I mean he was one of the great vampire hunters.
I hoped Bloodstorm (Mutant X) was also in the book, but she was not even in the appendix. I guess that's because she belongs to an alternate reality.

If I recall correctly, the Vampire Appendix became an unruly thing and had to be trimmed considerably to even fit in the book!

captainswift Dec 16, 2011, 12:00 pm

Rayeye wrote:

The appendix specifically didn't list alternate reality vampires, nor did it include vampire-like beings (like Morbius) who aren't "true" vampires. Not familiar with the story, but some quick research indicates the Bate-Bola Boys weren't vampires, they simply committed attacks that resembled vampire attacks (then later became zombies).

The contents of the book were decided long before I joined the project, but I'd imagine that van Helsing, while culturally significant, doesn't have terribly many actual Marvel appearances, and the preference was for profiling vampires over vampire hunters (with the exceptions of Frank Drake and Quincy Harker).

Madison Carter
Dec 16, 2011, 05:18 pm

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

While this question has already been answered, I still theorize that the only reason the Blade Doppleganger made it into the Deluxe entry was just because Gru & Co. wanted to represent Blade in SOME form in the run after omitting his own actual entry (which would later make it into Update '89).

Andy E. Nystrom
Dec 16, 2011, 05:48 pm

Madison Carter wrote:

While this question has already been answered, I still theorize that the only reason the Blade Doppleganger made it into the Deluxe entry was just because Gru & Co. wanted to represent Blade in SOME form in the run after omitting his own actual entry (which would later make it into Update '89).

It would be neat if we could get one of the surviving classic Handbook creators like Peter Sanderson to these boards to answer questions/theories like these (assuming of course they still recalled the answer this many years later).

I'm actually amazed in this era where multiple dopplegangers of Marvel heroes abound that there hasn't been a big Return of the Blade Doppleganger story.

Captain Morgan
Dec 17, 2011, 11:30 pm

I noticed something in the Blade update. It says he was a member of SHIELD's Howling Commandos. I've read that and don't recall Blade ever being on the team. Or am I remembering wrong?

Madison Carter
Dec 18, 2011, 09:36 am

Captain Morgan wrote:

I noticed something in the Blade update. It says he was a member of SHIELD's Howling Commandos. I've read that and don't recall Blade ever being on the team. Or am I remembering wrong?

The Directors Cut edition of issue #1 depicted several members in the bonus material that never got screen time in the main series. Blade was among them.

Captain Morgan
Dec 18, 2011, 10:54 am

Thanks, I don't think I ever saw that. There is also something else I need help with. In Blade's entry it stated he was born in 1929 and in the appendix it says he met Wolverine in the 1930's which would make Blade 10 years old at the oldest but he was clearly older than that and appeared to be in his 20's or so. During the Marvel Comics Presents Vanguard arc Blade stated that he was over 100 years old which would make more sense.

My photostream (over 7.5 million photos!)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24917258@N05/

Board footera