Who Watches the Watchers - Forum for the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe & Similar Works 20 YEARS! 2004-2024

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/30/2020 11:26 am  #1

History of the Marvel Universe

Historical text from Comixfan:

Zachary J. Morrison
Aug 22, 2011, 12:22 pm
Coming from Marvel in November...

[img]file:///C:\Users\Andy\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image001.jpg[/img]

HISTORY OF THE MARVEL UNIVERSE
Written by MIKE O’SULLIVAN, PATRICK DUKE, KEVIN GARCIA, JACOB ROUGEMONT & ROGER OTT
Penciled by VARIOUS
Cover by SCOT EATON

Celebrating 50 years of the Marvel era of comics! In 1961, STAN LEE and JACK KIRBY changed the face of comics forever — and Marvel’s been doing the same ever since! This amazing overview covers the tumultuous history of the Marvel Universe, from the introduction of the Fantastic Four to FEAR ITSELF — and everything in between! An incredible walk down memory lane for longtime fans or the perfect primer for the uninitiated! Filled with hundreds of images from the superstars of five decades!
48 PGS./Saga/Rated T+ …$3.99

William Keogh
Aug 22, 2011, 12:58 pm
Looks good to me!

Phoenixx9
Aug 22, 2011, 12:59 pm
Ditto!!

bigvis497
Aug 22, 2011, 01:08 pm
Can anybody maybe shed some more info on what this actually is? I'm thinking it's either a saga-book or event profiles like Blockbusters...

captainswift
Aug 22, 2011, 01:38 pm
It's a Saga book. Of which, I am shocked to see I'm credited in the solicitations instead of just being "Various."

Roger Ott
Aug 23, 2011, 11:12 am

captainswift wrote:

It's a Saga book. Of which, I am shocked to see I'm credited in the solicitations instead of just being "Various."

Yeah, me too! Probably because there were only five of us.

And, I see you made the credits list ahead of me AGAIN! Need to have a chat with Marketing...

captainswift
Aug 23, 2011, 11:20 am
This is how the Professor and Mary Ann felt when they stopped being "And the rest".

Eduardo M.
Aug 24, 2011, 10:24 am
I'm guessing this is a pure saga book and won't contain any entries like the recent Fellowship of Fear book?

captainswift
Aug 24, 2011, 03:58 pm
Yep, it's solid Saga.

William Keogh
Nov 28, 2011, 11:42 am
This comes out this week.

Michael Regan
Nov 28, 2011, 11:59 am
Thanks for the reminder, I'll be picking this one up!

William Keogh
Nov 29, 2011, 10:57 am
I'll have to check the other comic shop downtown... the first one didn't have any extras on the order list.

Michael Regan
Nov 29, 2011, 12:13 pm

William Keogh wrote:

I'll have to check the other comic shop downtown... the first one didn't have any extras on the order list.

Crap. Which one did you check? I may have to go for an extended drive.

William Keogh
Nov 29, 2011, 05:27 pm
The Silver Snail. They had ordered just a few, and were out. The Comic Book Shoppe on Bank ought to have some.

I hope. Otherwise I'll have to go further afield.

Clay Olsen
Nov 29, 2011, 06:32 pm
so its just from the FF's debut forward? Not the pre-history info such as the Celestial's arriving on Earth, the Savage Land's origins, Galactus' birth, etc.?

Stuart V
Nov 30, 2011, 06:59 am

Clay Olsen wrote:

so its just from the FF's debut forward? Not the pre-history info such as the Celestial's arriving on Earth, the Savage Land's origins, Galactus' birth, etc.?

Correct. We did suggest the latter, but the remit given was to go from the FF's debut, though a brief mention of WWII stuff is included.

captainswift
Nov 30, 2011, 12:33 pm
What Stuart said. The PTB at Marvel specifically wanted it to follow the publications history (though told "in-universe"), so figures with long histories like Dracula, the Eternals and Apocalypse get their due, but only in "first appearance" order rather than in-universe chronology.

Michael Regan
Nov 30, 2011, 12:52 pm

Stuart V wrote:

Correct. We did suggest the latter, but the remit given was to go from the FF's debut, though a brief mention of WWII stuff is included.

Any possibility of a pre-History in the future then?

Stuart V
Nov 30, 2011, 01:00 pm

Michael Regan wrote:

Any possibility of a pre-History in the future then?

We'd love to do it, but we aren't the ones who make such decisions. It is all down to what they believe will sell, so the best chance would be if enough people ask Marvel for it.

Michael Regan
Nov 30, 2011, 01:11 pm

Stuart V wrote:

We'd love to do it, but we aren't the ones who make such decisions. It is all down to what they believe will sell, so the best chance would be if enough people ask Marvel for it.

Then that is our plan of action! Pre-1961 Marvel is too often forgotten.

Phoenixx9
Nov 30, 2011, 05:34 pm
Was there any mention of the Sentry?

The reason I ask is because I think in 2000, they retconned the story that he was around just as the FF got their powers, but then everyone was made to forget him. Was that shown/mentioned in this book? Or did they retcon the retcon?

Michael Regan
Nov 30, 2011, 05:56 pm

Phoenixx9 wrote:

The reason I ask is because I think in 2000, they retconned the story that he was around just as the FF got their powers, but then everyone was made to forget him. Was that shown/mentioned in this book? Or did they retcon the retcon?

Awesome question!

Andy E. Nystrom
Nov 30, 2011, 06:24 pm

Phoenixx9 wrote:

As far as I can tell from a quick look, he's shown as part of the original New Avengers once but never actually mentioned and not subsequently depicted in any other reproductions. Other than the end of Marvels#1, no retroactive adventure is depicted. Sometimes you get later artwork of an older story in the older story's original time frame (e.g. Alex Ross depicting the Reed-Sue wedding) but no depiction of James Hudson circa Fantastic Four#2, earlier Sentry appearances etc.

captainswift
Nov 30, 2011, 07:30 pm

Phoenixx9 wrote:

Nothing in the book retcons anything. It's just a Saga, retelling events. Anything that's left out doesn't mean it didn't happen.

Roger Ott
Nov 30, 2011, 11:45 pm
Yeah, we really had to hit only the broad strokes with this. The 1980s alone could have taken up 48 pages, otherwise.

kevingarcia
Dec 2, 2011, 01:37 am

Phoenixx9 wrote:

On page 4, actually!

Obviously there's a lot to cover in a limited number of pages, but we tried to include as much as we could, reflecting current continuity.

Andy E. Nystrom
Dec 2, 2011, 10:03 am
This book is okay, but I wasn't as wowed by it as the Handbooks, Index books or even the Files books, probably because covering things in such broad strokes it was hard to do much to surprise me., whereas hard this been a 12 issue series that put stuff like the Hyborean age in its proper chronology might have been more helpful. I do hope that newer readers find this useful. Are there plans to indicate online where each of the panels came from? If not I'll take a stab at detective work and then let others fill in the blanks.

ToddCam
Dec 2, 2011, 11:16 am

I feel bad, but I didn't pick this up. It was just too little info for it to be worth $4. If it had been a comprehensive history, even in broad strokes with pics as supplement rather than the main thrust, I would have gotten it. But it was too expensive for what amounts to a Saga book.

Sorry guys. I hope this isn't the penultimate handbook-type thing...

My photostream (over 7.5 million photos!)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24917258@N05/

Board footera