Who Watches the Watchers - Forum for the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe & Similar Works 20 YEARS! 2004-2024

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/31/2020 12:59 pm  #1

Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe A to Z Update #5

Historical text from Comixfan

ultrabasurero

Sep 21, 2010, 02:04 pm

Coming from Marvel in December...

OFFICIAL HANDBOOK OF THE MARVEL UNIVERSE A TO Z UPDATE #5
Written by VARIOUS
Select Character Artwork by GUS VAZQUEZ
Cover by KALMAN ANDRASOFSZKY

2010’s A-Z update concludes with this amazing final issue! All-new profiles for heroes like Ricochet, the Twelve’s Witness, and Prince of Orphans; cosmic characters like the Universal Church of Truth, Mentor of Titan, the Fraternity of Raptor’s Talon, and the Quist/Arcane; with an extra-large serving of villains: Boomerang, Quicksand, the Intelligencia, Mesmero, Blackout (Daniels), Icemaster, and Scramble! All this plus Mort the Dead Teenager, the Creatures from Kosmos, and Marvel Apes, too! Featuring brand-new art by GUS VAZQUEZ!

64 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

Cover shows: Red Ronin, Black Knight (Garrett), Ricochet, female Symbiote (don't remember name), Quicksand, Leech, Marthan Johansson, Vance Astro, Boomerang, Red She-Hulk, and 5 other characters I don't know.

PaxHouse

Sep 21, 2010, 03:19 pm

I believe the female Symbiote is supposed to be MAYHEM aka "April Parker" (from the original SPIDER-GIRL Series).

Plus it's good to see Ricochet on the Cover (after seeing Lightspeed from the previous one) of the Final Issue of the Update.....although I'm suprized that Marvel decided to have the very first Red Ronin on the cover instead of "Namie"..... :dunno: :frust:

sucellos11

Sep 21, 2010, 03:40 pm

Awesome! Lots of characters I requested for a long time like Blackout (Daniels), Boomerang, Intelligencia, Marvel Apes, Mentor, Mesmero, Quicksand, Red Ronin, Red She-Hulk and Ricochet! I wonder who the other 5 on the cover are, I don't recognize them either...

Madison Carter

Sep 21, 2010, 04:04 pm

PaxHouse wrote:

although I'm suprized that Marvel decided to have the very first Red Ronin on the cover instead of "Namie"..... :dunno: :frust:

The profile will be for the original RR, who has appeared more recently than Namie (Dark Reign: Zodiac).

Eduardo M.

Sep 21, 2010, 04:17 pm

sucellos11 wrote:

Awesome! Lots of characters I requested for a long time like Blackout (Daniels), Boomerang, Intelligencia, Marvel Apes, Mentor, Mesmero, Quicksand, Red Ronin, Red She-Hulk and Ricochet! I wonder who the other 5 on the cover are, I don't recognize them either...

If someone can post a link to the cover I'll try to ID everyone.

On another note, i notice Boomerang is being listed under his real ID rather than "Outback". Guess this is a nice way to show Osborn you can't hide a dog's true nature by painting our his spots.

Rob London

Sep 21, 2010, 04:56 pm

Eduardo M. wrote:

If someone can post a link to the cover I'll try to ID everyone.

On another note, i notice Boomerang is being listed under his real ID rather than "Outback". Guess this is a nice way to show Osborn you can't hide a dog's true nature by painting our his spots.

It's really just because Myers has resumed his Boomerang ID since his stint as Outback, as seen in the recent Jackpot miniseries.

And the cover can be seen here (http://i.newsarama.com/images/offici...pdate_5_02.jpg ) - you're never gonna guess who's in Red Ronin's hand.

slevin87

Sep 21, 2010, 05:07 pm

ultrabasurero wrote:

OFFICIAL HANDBOOK OF THE MARVEL UNIVERSE A TO Z UPDATE #5
Written by VARIOUS
Select Character Artwork by GUS VaZquez
Cover by KALMAN ANDRASOFSZKY
2010’s A-Z update concludes with this amazing final issue! All-new profiles for heroes like Ricochet, the Twelve's Witness, and Prince of Orphans; cosmic characters like the Universal Church of Truth, Mentor of Titan, the Fraternity of Raptor's Talon, and the Quist/Arcane; with an extra-large serving of villains: Boomerang, Quicksand, the Intelligencia, Mesmero, Blackout (Daniels), Icemaster, and Scramble! All this plus Mort the Dead Teenager, the Creatures from Kosmos, and Marvel Apes, too! Featuring brand-new art by Gus Vazquez!
64 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

Cover shows: Red Ronin, Black Knight (Garrett), Ricochet, female Symbiote (don't remember name), Quicksand, Leech, Marthan Johansson, Vance Astro, Boomerang, Red She-Hulk, and 5 other characters I don't know.

Mort the Dead Teenager is the character in Red Ronin's hand. Ravage of the 2099-verse is between Red She-Hulk and Vance Astro. The character to Boomerang's left is Death Adder of the Serpent Society. Directly above him is Dragonfly, formerly of the Ani-Men. Not sure about the guy to her right.

Eduardo M.

Sep 21, 2010, 05:10 pm

Rob London wrote:

And the cover can be seen here (http://i.newsarama.com/images/offici...pdate_5_02.jpg ) - you're never gonna guess who's in Red Ronin's hand.

Alrighty, let me take a stab at it.

Red Ronin
Mort the dead teenagers (in RR's hand)
Ricochet
Mayhem (April Parker)
Black Knight (Garret)
Quicksand
Martha Johanssen
Red She-Hulk
Ravage 2099
Leech
Major Victory
Boomerang
Death Adder
Dragonfly
and I have no clue what that weird thing in the back is.

Do I least get second prize?

Roger Ott

Sep 21, 2010, 05:41 pm

Woo-hoo! Dragonfly gets an entry!
Now, with this being the last of the Update books, I wonder what's in store for 2011?

sucellos11

Sep 21, 2010, 06:45 pm

At least a Thor handbook in 2011! Yeah! We'll finally have entries on Fenris Wolf, Kurse, Fafnir, Surtur, Lorelei, Mongoose, Norns, Destroyer (armor), Tyr, Kelda, Executioner, Ulik, Mangog, Malekith, Karnilla, Vidar and Giants of Jotunheim!

Has anyone got a clue about that last unidentified cover character who resembles a robot? I thought about Sea Urchin, but it's nothing alike...

Phoenixx9

Sep 21, 2010, 06:59 pm

sucellos11 wrote:

At least a Thor handbook in 2011! Yeah! We'll finally have entries on Fenris Wolf, Kurse, Fafnir, Surtur, Lorelei, Mongoose, Norns, Destroyer (armor), Tyr, Kelda, Executioner, Ulik, Mangog, Malekith, Karnilla, Vidar and Giants of Jotunheim!

...and don't forget the Enchanters! :dance: If they do an Asgardian book, I want the Enchanters featured! And Ulik! And Executioner! And, er, all the others you mentioned! :excited:

Update #5::yum:
What a great cover-cast:

Quicksand!
another Black Knight!
Dragonfly!
Martha Johansson!
Leach!
She-Rulk! (Is this different than the Betty Ross entry?)
Vance Astro of the GotG!

The cover alone knocks at least another 5 off my list!

Roger Ott

Sep 21, 2010, 07:09 pm

sucellos11 wrote:

We'll finally have entries on Fenris Wolf, Kurse, Fafnir, Surtur, Lorelei, Mongoose, Norns, Destroyer (armor), Tyr, Kelda, Executioner, Ulik, Mangog, Malekith, Karnilla, Vidar and Giants of Jotunheim!

I'm certainly looking forward to all these, but most of them have had profiles in the past, and many are dead which means there is little new information to be had. What I really want to see are profiles on never-before-profiled characters.

Phoenixx9

Sep 21, 2010, 07:12 pm

Roger Ott wrote:

I'm certainly looking forward to all these, but most of them have had profiles in the past, and many are dead which means there is little new information to be had. What I really want to see are profiles on never-before-profiled characters.

:Yes: Like the Enchanters!!!  :Yes:

Eduardo M.

Sep 21, 2010, 07:25 pm

sucellos11 wrote:

and an entry for Kelda's poor boyfriend. Not to mention Jane Foster, Keith Kincaid, and Jake Olsen.

Andy E. Nystrom

Sep 21, 2010, 07:54 pm

No one's mentioned the most interesting part: I think this is the first time that a character is profiled whose first appearance was in a Hostess ad (Icemaster). His first recorded out had him defeated by the Human Torch throwing fruit pies at him. He later appeared as one of the Masters of Evil who battled the Thunderbolts, but he started out as a Hostess villain.

JusticeGH

Sep 22, 2010, 12:47 am

sucellos11 wrote:

Has anyone got a clue about that last unidentified cover character who resembles a robot? I thought about Sea Urchin, but it's nothing alike...

That'd be Robert Hellsgaard, Punisher Franken-Castle opponent.

Madison Carter

Sep 22, 2010, 12:53 am

Roger Ott wrote:

They have? Just of what's listed in the blurb and shown on the cover, the following have never received profiles before:

Ricochet, the Twelve's Witness, Prince of Orphans, Universal Church of Truth, Fraternity of Raptor's Talon, Quist/Arcane, the Intelligencia, Icemaster, Scramble, Mort the Dead Teenager, the Creatures from Kosmos, Marvel Apes, Mayhem, Martha Johannsen, Dragonfly....heck, that's about 2/3s of what's been revealed so far.

slevin87

Sep 22, 2010, 01:01 am

This looks excellent. I'm especially glad to see Boomerang finally get an entry.

With the Witness in this issue, that just leaves the Blue Blade and Captain Wonder among the Twelve needing coverage. Hopefully we'll see them receive profiles in 2011.

I do agree with Sucellos11 that it would seem likely that we'll get a Thor handbook next year (and hopefully a Captain America one too), since it has seemed like for the past couple years Marvel has put out handbooks with themes based on characters simultaneously receiving films.

captainswift

Sep 22, 2010, 01:05 am

Madison Carter wrote:

They have? Just of what's listed in the blurb and shown on the cover, the following have never received profiles before:

Ricochet, the Twelve's Witness, Prince of Orphans, Universal Church of Truth, Fraternity of Raptor's Talon, Quist/Arcane, the Intelligencia, Icemaster, Scramble, Mort the Dead Teenager, the Creatures from Kosmos, Marvel Apes, Mayhem, Martha Johannsen, Dragonfly....heck, that's about 2/3s of what's been revealed so far.

He's referring to sucellos's speculative Thor Handbook list, not the Update 5.

Madison Carter

Sep 22, 2010, 01:46 am

ah - that's what I get for replying to a quoted post without seeing the post it was quoted from

Sidney Osinga

Sep 22, 2010, 04:11 am

She-Rulk! (Is this different than the Betty Ross entry?)

I assume it will be a one page update-type entry like Red Hulk got.

I'm surprised that Mort the Dead Teenager is getting an entry. I never thought his stories were set in the main Marvel Universe. Then again, Fight Man got an entry, so I guess I shouldn't be too surprised.

Michael Regan

Sep 22, 2010, 08:49 am

Sidney Osinga wrote:

I'm surprised that Mort the Dead Teenager is getting an entry. I never thought his stories were set in the main Marvel Universe. Then again, Fight Man got an entry, so I guess I shouldn't be too surprised.

Fight Man had an entry in issue number four of the 2006 handbook IIRC.

bigvis497

Sep 22, 2010, 10:04 am

slevin87 wrote:

With the Witness in this issue, that just leaves the Blue Blade and Captain Wonder among the Twelve needing coverage. Hopefully we'll see them receive profiles in 2011.

Even more hopefully, JMS will actually finish The Twelve in 2011.

Michael Regan

Sep 22, 2010, 10:08 am

It would also be nice to have Newuniversal continue  

ToddCam

Sep 22, 2010, 10:29 am

Shouldn't it be the Fraternity of Raptors' Talon? Otherwise, the organization is the Fraternity of Raptor. That makes no sense.

Madison Carter

Sep 22, 2010, 03:30 pm

captainswift wrote:

He's referring to sucellos's speculative Thor Handbook list, not the Update 5.

Even on that note, trust me - if we worked on a Thor HB, we'd have plenty of characters to profile that haven't had one yet. You wouldn't believe the insanely-sized character/genre lists we keep for when/if one gets selected to get a handbook.

Michael Regan

Sep 22, 2010, 04:04 pm

Madison Carter wrote:

Even on that note, trust me - if we worked on a Thor HB, we'd have plenty of characters to profile that haven't had one yet. You wouldn't believe the insanely-sized character/genre lists we keep for when/if one gets selected to get a handbook.

Oh, I believe it  :Yes:

Phoenixx9

Sep 22, 2010, 06:12 pm

Madison Carter wrote:

I didn't know about the character lists, but it makes sense. With the huge cast in any book, it is the only way not to forget anyone. Wouldn't do to have the fans remember characters that staff didn't!

:Yes: So, I hope the Enchanters are on your Asgardian List, Madison! And, that they finally get a profile whenever this Asgardian HB debuts!  :Yes:

Roger Ott

Sep 22, 2010, 07:28 pm

Madison Carter wrote:

You wouldn't believe the insanely-sized character/genre lists we keep for when/if one gets selected to get a handbook.

Is this list something the writers put together, or something Marvel had themselves?

Madison Carter

Sep 23, 2010, 01:32 am

Roger Ott wrote:

Is this list something the writers put together, or something Marvel had themselves?

Something we do for ourselves.

ultrabasurero

Sep 23, 2010, 04:38 pm

Did we ever figure out who the guy with the robot suits and guns is?

Eduardo M.

Sep 23, 2010, 07:52 pm

ultrabasurero wrote:

Did we ever figure out who the guy with the robot suits and guns is?

someone from the recent Franken-Castle stories. Robert Hellsgaard

Roger Ott

Dec 8, 2010, 12:31 pm

Looks like this one's on the spinner rack next Wednesday!

Eduardo M.

Dec 8, 2010, 03:45 pm

Roger Ott wrote:

Looks like this one's on the spinner rack next Wednesday!

I hope so. Its been too long since I have partaken of Handbooky goodness

Roger Ott

Dec 14, 2010, 03:21 pm

Tomorrow's the day! Granted, I'll have to wait a few extra days for my order to arrive from DCBS, but still...for the rest of ya'll...it's almost Handbook time!

slevin87

Dec 15, 2010, 02:40 pm

Here's a list of characters featured, plus page counts. First, the 1+ page characters:

Beetles (Thunderbolts army; 1)
Black Knight (Garrett; 2)
Blackout (Daniels; 2)
Blue Blade (1)
Boomerang (3)
Death Adder (Burroughs & Scott; 2)
Dragonfly (Dultry; 1)
Heavy Mettle (1)
Hellsgaard (1)
Hiro-Kala (1)
Intelligencia (Hulk foes; 1)
Kaluu (1)
Kosmos (dimension; 2)
Leech (Morlocks; 2)
Maggia (4)
Major Victory (Astro; 5!)
Marvel Apes (2)
Mayhem (Earth-982; 1)
Mentor (Titan; 2)
Mesmero (Vincent; 2)
Obliterator (Pacle; 1)
Prince of Orphans (1)
Quicksand (Masters of Evil; 1)
Quist (Arcane; 3)
Raptor (Ryder; 1)
Ravage (2099 AD; 3)
Red She-Hulk (1)
Ricochet (Gallo; 1)
Rising Sons (1)
Michael Rossi (1)
Sagittarians (2)
Scramble (1)
Sentries (Kree; 2)
Talon (Fraternity of Raptors; 1)
Ultimus (1)
Universal Church of Truth (Earth-616; 2)
White Wolf (Hunter; 1)
Witness (Golden Age; 1)

and 1/2 pagers:
Advisor
Faceless Man (Windom)
Icemaster
Lucas Jackson
Martha Johansson
Mort the Dead Teenager

bigvis497
Dec 15, 2010, 02:49 pm

Dang, slevin beat me to it! I'll leave my comments intact:

The anything-goes mentality to these updates makes them easily my favorite of the new handbooks. Such a great variety of characters. Some old guys long overdue like Blackout and Boomerang, and some genuine shockers like Icemaster and Mort. So glad to finally get Mesmero. And the Maggia profile is very detailed. Great work!

Phoenixx9

Dec 15, 2010, 03:05 pm

Thanks guys for the post!

Glad to know so many on my list have gotten entries:

Dragonfly
Icemaster
Martha Johansson
Kaluu
Kosmos
Leech
Major Victory
Mesmero
Quicksand
Raptor
Red She-Hulk--Is this entry different than Betty's updated entry?
Michael Rossi
Sentries
Talon
Universal Church of Truth

Eduardo M.

Dec 15, 2010, 05:50 pm

NNNaaarrrrgggghhhh!!!! The book didnt come in today to my LCS. And the list of entries looks SO AWESOME!!!

Probably the only reason I'm not really POed is because I was told they did order some copies and that most likely they will come Friday. It is already known that I want a copy so hopefully it will come Friday and I can take a special trip to go pick up and then usher in my Christmas vacation with HANDBOOKY GOODNESS!!!!!!!!!!

Phoenixx9

Dec 15, 2010, 05:57 pm

Eduardo M. wrote:

NNNaaarrrrgggghhhh!!!! The book didnt come in today to my LCS. And the list of entries looks SO AWESOME!!!

Probably the only reason I'm not really POed is because I was told they did order some copies and that most likely they will come Friday. It is already known that I want a copy so hopefully it will come Friday and I can take a special trip to go pick up and then usher in my Christmas vacation with HANDBOOKY GOODNESS!!!!!!!!!!

You know I empathize with you, Eduardo, as I have often had this happen to me. Sorry this happened to you again. Hope it arrives on Friday for you.

Mine will probably arrive between the Christmas/New Year holidays, which would be perfect. I need some Handbooky Goodness and what a great way to begin the New Year!

Sidney Osinga

Dec 15, 2010, 11:40 pm

I notice that no one has mentioned that Red Ronin has been removed from the cover, I guess because the entry either wasn't finished in time or another entry bumped it out.

bigvis497

Dec 16, 2010, 12:32 pm

Sidney Osinga wrote:

I notice that no one has mentioned that Red Ronin has been removed from the cover, I guess because the entry either wasn't finished in time or another entry bumped it out.

I didn't notice that until you pointed it out Sid.

There have been quite a few examples of guys getting dropped from the finished product lately. Off the top of my head, I know Fantastic Force (Nu-world) and Lucas Cross were left on the contents page on the back of an issue, but had no entry inside. Red Ronin is an even stranger case as he's right there on the cover, it had to have taken some additional work to get him off there.

Interesting indeed.

Phoenixx9

Dec 16, 2010, 02:03 pm

bigvis497 wrote:

I didn't notice that until you pointed it out Sid.

There have been quite a few examples of guys getting dropped from the finished product lately. Off the top of my head, I know Fantastic Force (Nu-world) and Lucas Cross were left on the contents page on the back of an issue, but had no entry inside. Red Ronin is an even stranger case as he's right there on the cover, it had to have taken some additional work to get him off there.

Interesting indeed.

I agree, BigVis. But then again, sometimes the MU works in mysterious ways...

I can't wait to see entries on the Fantastic Force of Nu-World! Yah. When will that be? They are my favorite new team/group in years. We know almost nothing about any of them, so an entry now would really help before their next appearance, especially about who they are related to, their powers, limits, capabilities, etc. You know, all that Handbooky Gooeyness!

ToddCam

Dec 16, 2010, 10:05 pm

Found an error! Boomerang is listed as first appearing in Tales of Suspense #81 (1966). This seemed false. As a reader of the Official Index to the Marvel Universe, I flipped through my handy trade of the Iron Man entries, and verified that Boomerang did not appear in that issue, at least not in a way that was worth mention to the writers. Using the internet, it seems that he in fact first appeared in Tales to Astonish #81.

captainswift

Dec 16, 2010, 10:44 pm

Phoenixx9 wrote:

Red She-Hulk--Is this entry different than Betty's updated entry?

Yes. Like the updated entries in Avengers Assemble and Iron Manual 3, the Red She-Hulk entry only briefly touched on the history of Betty as it has only been covered, and goes into detail only on her history as the She-Rulk. (Also, she seems to have had her strength re-evaluated, as the Women of Marvel Handbook trade lists her as listing 100 tones, but this entry only shows 75.)

Andy E. Nystrom

Dec 17, 2010, 01:04 pm

ToddCam wrote:

Found an error! Boomerang is listed as first appearing in Tales of Suspense #81 (1966). This seemed false. As a reader of the Official Index to the Marvel Universe, I flipped through my handy trade of the Iron Man entries, and verified that Boomerang did not appear in that issue, at least not in a way that was worth mention to the writers. Using the internet, it seems that he in fact first appeared in Tales to Astonish #81.

TTA 81 sounds about right going from memory, since he first appeared as a Hulk foe, as reprinted in Essential Hulk v1

Phoenixx9

Dec 17, 2010, 02:06 pm

captainswift wrote:

Yes. Like the updated entries in Avengers Assemble and Iron Manual 3, the Red She-Hulk entry only briefly touched on the history of Betty as it has only been covered, and goes into detail only on her history as the She-Rulk. (Also, she seems to have had her strength re-evaluated, as the Women of Marvel Handbook trade lists her as listing 100 tones, but this entry only shows 75.)

Thanks, Captain Swift.

It does seem odd that they would have down-graded She-Rulk's strength, though, since to me, as demonstrated by what she previously was shown to do, I thought she should have been 100+ tons--stronger than even Jen.

However, it seems that after running rampant with 100/100+ power women that Marvel is now keeping most women at the 75 ton level (or weaker) such as: Magdalene, Man-Killer, Thundra, She-Thing, Ms Marvel (70) and now She-Rulk, with only three higher: Lyra 90 tons, Titania (100 tons, now deceased?) and Jen 100+.

Madison Carter

Dec 18, 2010, 03:05 pm

Sidney Osinga wrote:

Neither. Red Ronin's removal was a last-minute editorial decision and not something we had control over.

Andy E. Nystrom

Dec 18, 2010, 11:33 pm

Madison Carter wrote:

Neither. Red Ronin's removal was a last-minute editorial decision and not something we had control over.

Out of idle curiosity, do you maintain a supply of pre-written extra entries so that when things like this happen, you can just plug in another entry? The Handbook writers must gain a unique persective on how plans in the Marvel Universe can suddenly change.

Phoenixx9

Dec 19, 2010, 01:05 pm

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

Out of idle curiosity, do you maintain a supply of pre-written extra entries so that when things like this happen, you can just plug in another entry? The Handbook writers must gain a unique persective on how plans in the Marvel Universe can suddenly change.

And when Marvel asks to pull something out "at the last minute", do they know that it really can be pulled out (not too late to do so), or do they ask, "if not too late, can XYZ be pulled out and ABC substituted"?

Madison Carter

Dec 19, 2010, 02:58 pm

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

We don't intend to, no. At times, we do have profiles that get written for a book and for some reason didn't, but we don't purposely keep a backstock.

Sidney Osinga

Dec 19, 2010, 11:27 pm

Why didn't the power grid reflect Ravage's energy powers, even though he lost them?

Roger Ott

Dec 20, 2010, 06:16 pm

Got mine today! Great stuff yet again! Particular likes so far are Scramble, the Intelligencia, and Death Adder! Nice end to the Update run!

sucellos11

Dec 21, 2010, 06:43 am

Hi, how is everyone doing? I've been out of the loop lately. I need to get me more free time to devour all the content on the handbooks and post here more often like before. This last update seems neat on pair with its predecessors! Intelligencia, Kaluu, Marvel Apes, Mentor, Mesmero, Ultimus and the Universal Church of Truth entries give it an extra value for me.

Phoenixx9

Dec 22, 2010, 01:45 pm

sucellos11 wrote:

Hi, how is everyone doing? I've been out of the loop lately. I need to get me more free time to devour all the content on the handbooks and post here more often like before. This last update seems neat on pair with its predecessors! Intelligencia, Kaluu, Marvel Apes, Mentor, Mesmero, Ultimus and the Universal Church of Truth entries give it an extra value for me.

:wave: Hi, Sucellos11! It's been a while.

While I have yet to receive my book, I too am looking forward to Kaluu, Mesmero and the Universal Church of Truth, plus quite a few others.

And make all that Handbooky Goodness last, because as ToddCam just reported on another thread, there won't be a HB out in March 2011. We may have to wait till April 2011 or beyond for the next HB as it seems at this point. :aaargh:

Stuart V

Dec 24, 2010, 10:04 am

ToddCam wrote:

Thanks for spotting this. We are taking appropriate action - we have the Boomerang entry writer tied up, and are slowly beating him to death with Marvel Masterworks of Tales to Astonish and Tales of Suspense, each alternate blow punctuated with us screaming "Astonish!!" or "Suspense!!" as appropriate.

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

As Madison noted, we don't deliberately keep pre-written standbys on file, but we do have some that were planned for earlier volumes and then dropped for one reason or another.

Phoenixx9 wrote:

And when Marvel asks to pull something out "at the last minute", do they know that it really can be pulled out (not too late to do so), or do they ask, "if not too late, can XYZ be pulled out and ABC substituted"?

Uh, yes, they do know, since they are in charge of when we go to print. So they never ask us if they can pull someone, they just tell us. Doesn't happen that often, thankfully.

Sidney Osinga wrote:

Why didn't the power grid reflect Ravage's energy powers, even though he lost them?

When someone briefly had a power and hasn't had it for a long time since, it doesn't always go on the power grid, otherwise the grids could end up looking like rainbows with all the different colours.

Madison Carter

Dec 24, 2010, 04:49 pm

Stuart V wrote:

Thanks for spotting this. We are taking appropriate action - we have the Boomerang entry writer tied up, and are slowly beating him to death with Marvel Masterworks of Tales to Astonish and Tales of Suspense, each alternate blow punctuated with us screaming "Astonish!!" or "Suspense!!" as appropriate.

As Madison noted, we don't deliberately keep pre-written standbys on file, but we do have some that were planned for earlier volumes and then dropped for one reason or another.

Uh, yes, they do know, since they are in charge of when we go to print. So they never ask us if they can pull someone, they just tell us. Doesn't happen that often, thankfully.

When someone briefly had a power and hasn't had it for a long time since, it doesn't always go on the power grid, otherwise the grids could end up looking like rainbows with all the different colours.

gah - imagine if we'd done that with Rick Jones and every powered incarnation he's ever had.

Sidney Osinga

Dec 25, 2010, 01:35 am

Stuart V wrote:

Fair enough.

In the Red She-Hulk entry, it says that she can lift 75 tons, yet on the power grid, it goes up to 7 (over 100 tons). Which is correct?

Phoenixx9

Dec 26, 2010, 03:15 pm

Stuart V wrote:

Hi Stuart. I did want to give thanks for multi-colored grids, though. :cheers: A few have been quite complicated but greatly done, and for those characters who needed it, I really appreciated the art and work that went into it, as opposed to leaving info off the grid. I LOVES ME THE GRIDS! :yum:

Sidney Osinga wrote:

In the Red She-Hulk entry, it says that she can lift 75 tons, yet on the power grid, it goes up to 7 (over 100 tons). Which is correct?

My question exactly! As I mentioned in a post a while ago, I don't know if to believe the grid or the writing. I tend to go with the grid, since that is a range and perhaps whoever wrote in the details, er, forgot the actual number associated with the particular character; after all there are some 5,000 + MU Characters!

In this case, I believe She-Rulk to be a 7, with 100 or 100+ tonnage strength, specifically from what the Hulk books depicted her doing and her fights with Rulk himself. Curious, though, as to why 75 tons was listed as her limit?

And I just wanted to say that Christmas Miracles do happen as I received my issue on the 24th, but was not expecting it till somewhere around the 29th or later! So I gots me some Holiday Handbooky Ooey-Gooey Goodness to review!

DeadpoolRP

Dec 27, 2010, 05:38 am

There's been some debate online about Leech's recent activities: We know that he and Artie are living with the Fantastic Four, but someone that was clearly intended to be Leech was also seen on Utopia during "Second Coming" (and on other occasions, I believe). I was hoping this would be clarified in this issue, and I guess it was, to an extent (no mention was made of Leech being on Utopia, which seems to mean that he wasn't), but I was hoping for some kind of note specifying something like "Leech was mistakenly portrayed with the X-Men on Utopia but was really with the Fantastic Four at that time."

Or is this being left intentionally vague so that writers have more freedom with future stories, etc.?

Stuart V

Dec 27, 2010, 06:29 pm

Sidney Osinga wrote:

Fair enough.

Personally, I don't know - checking with those involved in writing her entry.

DeadpoolRP wrote:

There's been some debate online about Leech's recent activities: We know that he and Artie are living with the Fantastic Four, but someone that was clearly intended to be Leech was also seen on Utopia during "Second Coming" (and on other occasions, I believe). I was hoping this would be clarified in this issue, and I guess it was, to an extent (no mention was made of Leech being on Utopia, which seems to mean that he wasn't), but I was hoping for some kind of note specifying something like "Leech was mistakenly portrayed with the X-Men on Utopia but was really with the Fantastic Four at that time."

Or is this being left intentionally vague so that writers have more freedom with future stories, etc.?

Also checking on this, as I wasn't involved in his entry and am not up to date on his latest appearances myself. It could be as simple as "he was on Utopia, but is now with the FF", depending on when the stories take place in relation to one another. Or it could be we have a shapeshifter, or a simple out-and-out art error. He's definitely with the FF now; when two appearances clash, a proper, clearly defined role in a story tends to trump being a member of background crowd scenes.

Let's not forget Sunder appearing in the crowd on Muir Island during the Shadow King saga, despite having died a few years earlier, or Tigra's role in Atlantis Attacks, complete with panels all to herself and dialogue, which simply didn't happen because at the time she was turned into a cat and shrunk into Dr. Pym's pocket. Goofs? Or Sunder had a double (thanks to Masque) and it was the Earth-A Tigra vacationing? You decide...

Eduardo M.

Feb 6, 2011, 02:35 pm

FINALLY got my hands on this. I know, I know. It came out in December. But thanks to certain things beyond my control I got it NOW.

However, I will say the wait was worth it. I was surprised at the Maggia entry's massive amount of headshots. Even more so when I saw Tapping Tommy was one. Now I REALLY want to see him get some handbook love.

Phoenixx9

Feb 6, 2011, 03:56 pm

Eduardo M. wrote:

I was surprised at the Maggia entry's massive amount of headshots. Even more so when I saw Tapping Tommy was one. Now I REALLY want to see him get some handbook love.

Amen brother. Amen.

Tapping Tommy and his Tophat (not to be confused with TopCat). :cross:

ultrabasurero

Jun 17, 2011, 10:24 am

I was reading wiki's entry on Prince of Orphans and it says he was based on Amazing-Man from Centaur. Is the Marvel version the same person as Amazing-Man or just inspired by it and coincidentally has the same real name? Or is this something like Doctor Nemesis and somewhat later became a public domain character.

I found it odd that the article would lump both characters together even if one was based the other.

My photostream (over 7.5 million photos!)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24917258@N05/

Board footera