Who Watches the Watchers - Forum for the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe & Similar Works 20 YEARS! 2004-2024

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/26/2020 3:01 pm  #181

Re: Multiversal Kevin Bacon

Loki wrote:

mythological and real world people are unique to specific companies

Does the BBC count as a specific company?

2/26/2020 3:21 pm  #182

zuckyd1 wrote:

Loki wrote:

mythological and real world people are unique to specific companies

Does the BBC count as a specific company?

I guess so.

2/26/2020 4:19 pm  #183

Loki wrote:

From 
Triston Farnon
to
the Doctor

1) On the “Out with the New” episode of the BBC series All Creatures Great and Small, Tristan Farnon travels to London to attend Queen Elizabeth II’s coronation. The Herriot family watches the coronation on television (the queen is shown in archival news footage), and Jimmy Herriot claims he can glimpse Tristan in the crowd.

2) On the “The Idiot's Lantern” episode of the BBC series Doctor Who, the Doctor is in London on the day of Queen Elizabeth II’s coronation. Various characters watch the coronation on television (the queen is shown in archival news footage).

2/27/2020 1:12 am  #184

zuckyd1 wrote:

Loki wrote:

From 
Tristan Farnon
to
the Doctor

1) On the “Out with the New” episode of the BBC series All Creatures Great and Small, Tristan Farnon travels to London to attend Queen Elizabeth II’s coronation. The Herriot family watches the coronation on television (the queen is shown in archival news footage), and Jimmy Herriot claims he can glimpse Tristan in the crowd.

2) On the “The Idiot's Lantern” episode of the BBC series Doctor Who, the Doctor is in London on the day of Queen Elizabeth II’s coronation. Various characters watch the coronation on television (the queen is shown in archival news footage).

Ingenious! While I've got to admit that I was wary that allowing the use of the BBC as an umbrella to count different depictions of a public figure as the same version, simply because it might make things a tad too easy, the fact that it isn't just the Queen you used, but the exact same event that both parties witnessed, more than makes up for it. 

I had a slightly longer route that did still use a real world individual, but more direct encounters.
1) Tristan and James Herriot (played by Christopher Timothy) were both starring characters in the series All Creatures Great and Small, appearing in most (all?) episodes together.
2) The Noel Edmonds Saturday Roadshow was a light entertainment show that ran between 1988 and 1990; one of the features was Clown Court, where a guest actor would turn up in character to be put on trial for bloopers made during the making of their show. As confirmed by the BBC's gradual archiving of their TV listings here:
https://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/schedules/bbcone/london/1989-09-09
the 9th September 1989 episode saw Christopher Timothy take part in Clown Court as James Herriot. So we can link James Herriot to presenter Noel Edmonds.
3) And Edmonds has met the Doctor. Sylvester McCoy turned up in Clown Court, but there he introduces himself by his real name, despite being in costume, disqualifying that as a link, but Jon Pertwee turned up in character for Edmonds' subsequent series, Noel Edmonds' House Party, as part of the introduction to the charity story Dimensions in Time.

Clown Court /Edmonds also links in Blackadder, because Baldrick (in his Blackadder II incarnation) stood trial in an episode. And unlike McCoy, he stayed in character.

2/28/2020 3:36 am  #185

From
real-life actor Craig Charles

to
Lloyd Mullaney

2/28/2020 3:57 am  #186

From Lastikman

to
Plastic Man

The route I've found uses a link that's almost certainly unauthorized (though I can't figure a way to check, so there's a slim chance it was actually authorized). As such, be aware such links will be acceptable for any routes put forward for this - though of course, if someone can find a route that is definitely all authorized, it will still automatically beat any that use unauthorized appearances.

2/29/2020 3:08 pm  #187

From
The Fonz

to
Principal Arthur Himbry

3/03/2020 4:12 am  #188

From 
Hariyama

to
Harry Lyme

3/03/2020 1:48 pm  #189

Loki wrote:

From 
Hariyama

to
Harry Lyme

1) Hariyama and Pikachu appeared in Pikachu's Island Adventure.
2) Pikachu appears in Detective Pikachu. The fictional movie Angels with Filthy Souls plays on a television.
3) Harry Lyme appears in Home Alone. Angels with Filthy Souls plays on a television.

Detective Pikachu director Rob Letterman:

"Mark Sanger, my editor, and myself were putting together the assembly/director's cut. We needed something and I hadn't figured out what I was going to put on that TV yet," Letterman said. "It was always scripted there was some film noir-y, detective film there. Just as a laugh, we got the movie that they shot for Home Alone off of YouTube at some point and used it as a temp. We could never beat it! It got to the point of it being well, why not try to license it. We got it cleared, miraculously, and it became this funny inside joke just to us."

Last edited by zuckyd1 (3/03/2020 1:54 pm)

3/03/2020 2:09 pm  #190

zuckyd1 wrote:

Loki wrote:

From 
Hariyama

to
Harry Lyme

1) Hariyama and Pikachu appeared in Pikachu's Island Adventure.
2) Pikachu appears in Detective Pikachu. The fictional movie Angels with Filthy Souls plays on a television.
3) Harry Lyme appears in Home Alone. Angels with Filthy Souls plays on a television.

Detective Pikachu director Rob Letterman:

"Mark Sanger, my editor, and myself were putting together the assembly/director's cut. We needed something and I hadn't figured out what I was going to put on that TV yet," Letterman said. "It was always scripted there was some film noir-y, detective film there. Just as a laugh, we got the movie that they shot for Home Alone off of YouTube at some point and used it as a temp. We could never beat it! It got to the point of it being well, why not try to license it. We got it cleared, miraculously, and it became this funny inside joke just to us."

Yep, that's more or less the route I was going for (I didn't figure out a specific link between Hariyama and Pikachu, as I was sure there'd be a fair few to chose from). Normally I hesitate to use stuff that isn't a character for links, but that movie is much less generic than something like a fictional cigarette brand (e.g. Morley's). And I just find it amusing that it links two movies that are so different from one another.

3/05/2020 7:23 am  #191

Bump. 24 hours to go.

Loki wrote:

From

to
Lloyd Mullaney

3/05/2020 7:23 am  #192

Bump. 24 hours to go.

Loki wrote:

From Lastikman

to
Plastic Man

The route I've found uses a link that's almost certainly unauthorized (though I can't figure a way to check, so there's a slim chance it was actually authorized). As such, be aware such links will be acceptable for any routes put forward for this - though of course, if someone can find a route that is definitely all authorized, it will still automatically beat any that use unauthorized appearances.

3/05/2020 1:32 pm  #193

Loki wrote:

Bump. 24 hours to go.

Loki wrote:

From

to
Lloyd Mullaney

1) Craig Charles and Dave Lister appeared in Part Three of Red Dwarf: Back to Earth.
2) Dave Lister and the TARDIS appeared in the Red Dwarf episode “Demons and Angels”.
3) The TARDIS & Kathy Beale appeared in Dimensions in Time.
4) Kathy Beale was Jane Beale’s mother-in-law on EastEnders.
5) Jane Beale and Liz McDonald appeared on East Street.
6) Liz McDonald and Lloyd Mullaney were a couple on Coronation Street.

3/05/2020 1:33 pm  #194

Loki wrote:

Bump. 24 hours to go.

Loki wrote:

From Lastikman

to
Plastic Man

1) Lastikman and Darna appeared in the 2003 film Captain Barbell.
2) Darna and Mazinger Z appeared in Darna, Kuno?
3) Mazinger Z and Raideen appeared in 3rd Super Robot Wars.
4) Raydeen and Mister Fantastic appeared in Shogun Warriors #19.
5) Mr. Fantastic and Plastic Man appeared in Avengers/JLA #2.

3/05/2020 1:58 pm  #195

zuckyd1 wrote:

Loki wrote:

Bump. 24 hours to go.

Loki wrote:

From

to
Lloyd Mullaney

1) Craig Charles and Dave Lister appeared in Part Three of Red Dwarf: Back to Earth.
2) Dave Lister and the TARDIS appeared in the Red Dwarf episode “Demons and Angels”.
3) The TARDIS & Kathy Beale appeared in Dimensions in Time.
4) Kathy Beale was Jane Beale’s mother-in-law on EastEnders.
5) Jane Beale and Liz McDonald appeared on East Street.
6) Liz McDonald and Lloyd Mullaney were a couple on Coronation Street.

Yep. Craig appeared as himself in Back to Earth, and ran into his own character. And since we've previously agreed that the TARDIS is a character, her appearance in Red Dwarf also counts. Then there's that nice link between Doctor Who and Eastenders in Dimensions in Time, while East Street provides a link between Coronation Street and Eastenders. Bizarrely though, DiT isn't the only crossover between Eastenders and Doctor Who - there's at least two others. And one of those also links the Doctor and TARDIS directly to Coronation Street, so you can shorten the linkage:
3) The TARDIS landed outside the Rover's Return, allowing Becky McDonald to chastise the Doctor in Dermot the and the Doctor (a skit done for the National Television Awards)
- see 2:52 in.
4) Becky McDonald appeared with Lloyd McDonald in Coronation Street - for example in this scene:

3/05/2020 2:03 pm  #196

zuckyd1 wrote:

Loki wrote:

Bump. 24 hours to go.

Loki wrote:

From Lastikman

to
Plastic Man

1) Lastikman and Darna appeared in the 2003 film Captain Barbell.
2) Darna and Mazinger Z appeared in Darna, Kuno?
3) Mazinger Z and Raideen appeared in 3rd Super Robot Wars.
4) Raydeen and Mister Fantastic appeared in Shogun Warriors #19.
5) Mr. Fantastic and Plastic Man appeared in Avengers/JLA #2.

Bonus points for managing to use Mr. Fantastic in the links! Darna, Kuno? was the link I mentioned that is probably not authorized - I find it hard to believe that Mazinger Z's owners gave permission for the robot to not only appear in the Filipino movie, but to have him be one of two robots who'd managed to get the title heroine pregnant! And I'm not sure if he actually appeared, or was just referenced - but it's such an insanely funny connection I had to permit it!

3/05/2020 2:24 pm  #197

Loki wrote:

Bonus points for managing to use Mr. Fantastic in the links!

I wanted to use Ralph Dibney as well, but that would have elongated the path more than was necessary.

3/05/2020 2:37 pm  #198

zuckyd1 wrote:

Loki wrote:

Bonus points for managing to use Mr. Fantastic in the links!

I wanted to use Ralph Dibney as well, but that would have elongated the path more than was necessary.

Yeah, using Dibney too would have been stretching it.

3/05/2020 2:38 pm  #199

Bump. Still a couple of days left before this one times out.

Loki wrote:

From
The Fonz

to
Principal Arthur Himbry

3/07/2020 11:44 am  #200

Bump. Last call, one day to go.

Loki wrote:

From
The Fonz

to
Principal Arthur Himbry

3/07/2020 12:33 pm  #201

Loki wrote:

Loki wrote:

From
The Fonz

to
Principal Arthur Himbry

1) The Fonz and Scooby-Doo appeared in Strong Kids, Safe Kids.
2) Scooby-Doo and Batman appeared in the New Scooby-Doo Movies episode “The Dynamic Scooby-Doo Affair”.
3) Batman and Silent Bob appeared in Green Arrow (2001) #6, written by Kevin Smith.
4) Silent Bob and Sidney Prescott appeared in Scream 3.
5) Sidney Prescott and Arthur Himbry appeared in Scream.

There's also a Scooby-Doo parody in Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back.

3/07/2020 1:44 pm  #202

zuckyd1 wrote:

Loki wrote:

Loki wrote:

From
The Fonz

to
Principal Arthur Himbry

1) The Fonz and Scooby-Doo appeared in Strong Kids, Safe Kids.
2) Scooby-Doo and Batman appeared in the New Scooby-Doo Movies episode “The Dynamic Scooby-Doo Affair”.
3) Batman and Silent Bob appeared in Green Arrow (2001) #6, written by Kevin Smith.
4) Silent Bob and Sidney Prescott appeared in Scream 3.
5) Sidney Prescott and Arthur Himbry appeared in Scream.

There's also a Scooby-Doo parody in Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back.

Cool. I didn't know about Strong Kids, Safe Kids - which on checking I see also links Fonz to Yogi Bear, the Smurfs, Pac-Man and the Flintstones! When I originally tried to make this link, I wondered about using Fonz's appearances in Sesame Street, thus linking him to the Muppets and their onward connections, but as far as I could figure out, while Fonz appeared on Sesame Street, it was always in isolated sketches where he didn't interact with any Muppets. However, he did meet Dracula in his cartoon, Fonz and the Happy Days Gang, and Scooby-Doo has also met Dracula, and both Dracula's would count as the same since both cartoons were by Hanna Barbera. However, I definitely prefer your linkage, and it's a shorter route too. Your steps 3 through 5 were also the ones I took. You could also connect DC characters to Jay and Silent Bob via their cameo in The Flash TV show.

3/11/2020 4:18 pm  #203

From
Griffin

to
Judge Flint

Unofficial cameos are permitted for linking purposes, mostly because I believe it won't be possible without using at least one.

3/21/2020 10:03 am  #204

Bump. Going to give this a couple more days, as I just discovered the second image wasn't showing, making it pretty darned impossible to figure out who I was talking about.

Loki wrote:

From
Griffin

to
Judge Flint

Unofficial cameos are permitted for linking purposes, mostly because I believe it won't be possible without using at least one.

3/22/2020 8:03 am  #205

From
CORONA

to
VIRUS

3/22/2020 9:46 am  #206

zuckyd1 wrote:

From
CORONA

to
VIRUS

Corona was in X-Men Millennial Visions #1 with Rogue
Rogue to Mr. Fantastic in Secret Wars #1
Mr. Fantastic to Jack Kirby in FF#10
Kirby to Brian Bluedragon in Kirby Genesis#0
Bluedragon to Virus in Satan’s Six #1

Jack Kirby's appearance in Kirby Genesis #0 is likely countable as authorized, given his family's involvement. If we count it as unofficial, then we can still get there through a slightly longer route:

Corona to Rogue
Rogue was with Cyblade in Cyberforce/X-Men
Cyblade was with Mr. Spook in Shi/Cyblade
Mr Spook was with Beanish in Tales from Beanworld #4
Beanish was in Total Eclipse#3 with Slick
Slick was in Teenagents #3 with the Kreech
The Kreech was in Teenagents#2 with Brian Bluedragon
Brian Bluedragon was in Satan’s Six #1 with Virus

3/22/2020 10:15 am  #207

Loki wrote:

zuckyd1 wrote:

From
CORONA

to
VIRUS

Corona was in X-Men Millennial Visions #1 with Rogue
Rogue to Mr. Fantastic in Secret Wars #1
Mr. Fantastic to Jack Kirby in FF#10
Kirby to Brian Bluedragon in Kirby Genesis#0
Bluedragon to Virus in Satan’s Six #1

Jack Kirby's appearance in Kirby Genesis #0 is likely countable as authorized, given his family's involvement. If we count it as unofficial, then we can still get there through a slightly longer route:

Corona to Rogue
Rogue was with Cyblade in Cyberforce/X-Men
Cyblade was with Mr. Spook in Shi/Cyblade
Mr Spook was with Beanish in Tales from Beanworld #4
Beanish was in Total Eclipse#3 with Slick
Slick was in Teenagents #3 with the Kreech
The Kreech was in Teenagents#2 with Brian Bluedragon
Brian Bluedragon was in Satan’s Six #1 with Virus

Here's what I came up with:
1) Corona and Nightcrawler appeared in X-Men Millennial Visions #1.
2) Nightcrawler and Ash Williams appeared in Marvel Zombies/Army of Darkness #5.
3) Ash Williams and Jason Voorhees appeared in Freddy vs Jason vs Ash.
4) Jason Voorhees and Virus appeared in Satan’s Six #4.

3/22/2020 5:28 pm  #208

How about... Robin Williams to Captain Britain?

My photostream (over 7.5 million photos!)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24917258@N05/

3/22/2020 5:46 pm  #209

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

How about... Robin Williams to Captain Britain?

Robin Williams was interviewed by Kermit the Frog in the Winter 1983 issue of Muppet Magazine.
Kermit and Miss Piggy appear together umpteen times.
Miss Piggy has met the Doctor in The Stolen Mirth, as mentioned a few pages back.
The Doctor and Captain Britain both attended Bonjaxx's birthday party in Doctor Who Magazine #173.

Alternatively, if you don't want to count Muppet Magazine:
Robin met the Two-Headed Monster in Sesame Street Episode 2480
The Two-Headed Monster appeared in The Muppet Movie in 1979 alongside Miss Piggy
and thereafter as above.

3/22/2020 5:52 pm  #210

Loki wrote:

Robin Williams was interviewed by Kermit the Frog in the Winter 1983 issue of Muppet Magazine.
Kermit and Miss Piggy appear together umpteen times.
Miss Piggy has met the Doctor in The Stolen Mirth, as mentioned a few pages back.
The Doctor and Captain Britain both attended Bonjaxx's birthday party in Doctor Who Magazine #173.

Alternatively, if you don't want to count Muppet Magazine:
Robin met the Two-Headed Monster in Sesame Street Episode 2480
The Two-Headed Monster appeared in The Muppet Movie in 1979 alongside Miss Piggy
and thereafter as above.

Ah, but can you do it in four moves without counting that interview? There's at least one way to do so.

My photostream (over 7.5 million photos!)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24917258@N05/

Board footera