Who Watches the Watchers - Forum for the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe & Similar Works

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?



2/07/2020 7:07 am  #1


OHotMU A-Z Vol. 10 Premiere HC

Historical text from Comixfan:

Zachary J. Morrison

Jun 17, 2009, 08:23 am

Coming from Marvel in September...

OFFICIAL HANDBOOK OF THE MARVEL UNIVERSE A TO Z VOL. 10 PREMIERE HC
Written by JEFF CHRISTIANSEN, STUART VANDAL, SEAN MCQUAID, MIKE FICHERA, RONALD BYRD, MICHAEL HOSKIN, MADISON CARTER, MIKE O'SULLIVAN, ROB LONDON, ERIC J. MOREELS, MARKUS RAYMOND, DAVID WILTFONG, GABRIEL SHECHTER, RICHARD GREEN, JACOB ROUGEMONT, MARK O'ENGLISH, ANTHONY FLAMINI & CHRIS BIGGS
Cover by TOM GRUMMETT

SHIELD Santa Claus from the Siege Perilous with the Skrull Kill Krew as this comprehensive guide to the Marvel Universe continues! This volume features Sasquatch, Snowbird, Silver Surfer, Sandman, Selene, She-Hulk, Scarlet Witch, Scourge of the Underworld, Speed, and not one, but two alien races from the 60’s (can you guess?)! So come join the Savage Land Mutates in the Savage Land, while having a devil of a time with Satan, Satannish, and Satana! Slither around with the Serpent Society, Serpent Squads, Set, Seth, and the Sons of the Serpent! Get stung by Scorpia, Scorpion, Scorpio, and the Silver Scorpion as you team-up with the Salem’s Seven, Secret Defenders, Sinister Six, and Six Pack! All this and much much more!

240 PGS./Rated T+ …$24.99
ISBN: 978-0-7851-3107-6
Trim size: standard




Eduardo M.

Jun 17, 2009, 11:40 am


On the cover I can spot Sauron, Silver Surfer, Sentry (Reynolds), a Sentinel, Songbird, Sleepwalker, Sif, Selene, She-Hulk, Scarlet Witch, Sandman, Shana the She-Devil, Silver Sable, Sersi, and Sasquatch.

A lot of ladies on this cover. Seems like this volume will be like Vol.7 and cover just S. I doubt it will go further than Speed. After all, I know that Mister Fantastic was left out of the cover to Vol.7 but would they actually leave Spider-Man and Jessica Drew off the cover and the solicts if they were featured here?? I don't think so.




slevin87

Jun 17, 2009, 01:10 pm

The Serpent Squad, huh? Don't think they've ever gotten a profile before, even in earlier incarnations of the Handbooks.




bigvis497

Jun 17, 2009, 01:48 pm


I was just thinking that with all of the new handbooks that have come out after the hardcover volumes started (Iron Manual, Brand New Day YB, Pets, Gods, Marvel Mystery, Weapon X, and assorted entries here and there) that 12th volume is gonna be a tight squeeze. If Volume 11 starts off somewhere around Spidey (which will most definately be a very large entry), there's still a lot of S's after that. There's quite a few T's and W's compared to the other letters. Not too many U's, V's, X's, Y's and Z's. So I can see it being tight fitting all the "missed their spot" entries at the end of Volume 12. Is there any kind of contingency plan if you go over 12 volumes, or am I just being an overly-obssesively worried handbook geek?




Stuart V

Jun 17, 2009, 01:53 pm

  bigvis497 wrote:

I was just thinking that with all of the new handbooks that have come out after the hardcover volumes started (Iron Manual, Brand New Day YB, Pets, Gods, Marvel Mystery, Weapon X, and assorted entries here and there) that 12th volume is gonna be a tight squeeze. If Volume 11 starts off somewhere around Spidey (which will most definately be a very large entry), there's still a lot of S's after that. There's quite a few T's and W's compared to the other letters. Not too many U's, V's, X's, Y's and Z's. So I can see it being tight fitting all the "missed their spot" entries at the end of Volume 12. Is there any kind of contingency plan if you go over 12 volumes, or am I just being an overly-obssesively worried handbook geek?

The magic 8-Ball says "Answer hazy, ask again later."




Eduardo M.

Jun 17, 2009, 02:00 pm

  bigvis497 wrote:

I was just thinking that with all of the new handbooks that have come out after the hardcover volumes started (Iron Manual, Brand New Day YB, Pets, Gods, Marvel Mystery, Weapon X, and assorted entries here and there) that 12th volume is gonna be a tight squeeze. If Volume 11 starts off somewhere around Spidey (which will most definately be a very large entry), there's still a lot of S's after that. There's quite a few T's and W's compared to the other letters. Not too many U's, V's, X's, Y's and Z's. So I can see it being tight fitting all the "missed their spot" entries at the end of Volume 12. Is there any kind of contingency plan if you go over 12 volumes, or am I just being an overly-obssesively worried handbook geek?

over in the general Q & A I made a list of all the "missed the spot" people we have up to the Wolverine: Weapon X Files. Its a huge list. One entry was 3 pages with 2-3 more being 2 pages each. The rest were 1/2-1 page. Still, we have the Pet Handbook out today and the gods Handbook coming up. Also there's the Golden Age handbook for September. Those three are bound to expand the list considerably.

Spidey, Wolverine, and Storm will be at least 8 pages each. The X-men entry will be probably huge to accomodate history and roster. And we still have guys like Thing, Thor, Thanos, Sabretooth, Spider-Woman (Drew), Wasp (Pym), and Wasp (Van Dyne) who will no doubt have at least 4 pages of not more to cover their histories. You're not kidding in saying that volume 12 is looking like a rather tight fit.




ToddCam

Jun 17, 2009, 02:49 pm


Here's hoping for lucky Volume 13 with dozens of new entries!




bigvis497

Jun 17, 2009, 03:13 pm


Just a suggestion, I would like to see all of the "missed" entries in a Volume 13 and let Volume 12 end with Z, it would look nicer as a collection if they were sorted that way. Volume 13 could be kind of like an appendix. If there aren't enough missed entries to fill the whole Volume, then maybe some of the major guys like Shaw, Diablo, Dreadknight could get all-new entries to fill the pages. I know I would DEFINITELY be on board for that!




Eduardo M.

Jun 17, 2009, 04:06 pm

  bigvis497 wrote:

Just a suggestion, I would like to see all of the "missed" entries in a Volume 13 and let Volume 12 end with Z, it would look nicer as a collection if they were sorted that way. Volume 13 could be kind of like an appendix. If there aren't enough missed entries to fill the whole Volume, then maybe some of the major guys like Shaw, Diablo, Dreadknight could get all-new entries to fill the pages. I know I would DEFINITELY be on board for that!

Another thing that could be done for a vol.13 could be pages ala the back of Ultimate Secret and the "Where Are They Now?" pages in the Legacy books that could bring us up to date on changes that have occured since the start of the hardcovers like Captain America (Barnes) joining the Avengers, Angel (Worthington) transforming back into Archangel, etc, etc.




Sidney Osinga

Jun 17, 2009, 11:29 pm

  bigvis497 wrote:

Just a suggestion, I would like to see all of the "missed" entries in a Volume 13 and let Volume 12 end with Z, it would look nicer as a collection if they were sorted that way. Volume 13 could be kind of like an appendix. If there aren't enough missed entries to fill the whole Volume, then maybe some of the major guys like Shaw, Diablo, Dreadknight could get all-new entries to fill the pages. I know I would DEFINITELY be on board for that!

I don't believe that Z will be vol. 12 as the entries are being pushed back. If we use the 2006 series as a measure, then the entries in this book only go up to the middle of #10. I don't think that two books will be enough for the rest of the S's and T, U, V W, X, Y, and Z entries, as well as the ones that came after #1.

And Eduardo M., Storm had a fairly complete 4 page entry in the Update, so I doubt it will be 8 pages, although a 5th probably will be added.




Eduardo M.

Jun 18, 2009, 01:38 pm

Sidney Osinga wrote:

And Eduardo M., Storm had a fairly complete 4 page entry in the Update, so I doubt it will be 8 pages, although a 5th probably will be added.

Oops. For some reason I though she had 8 pages. Still, a 4-page minimum entry for Storm still adds alot.

Getting back to Volume 10, I'm pleasantly surprised to see that the Serpent Squads are in this volume. i wonder if they'll get individual entries or one massive group entry. The latter seems to make more sense since doing one at a time would mean 4-5 different entries.




Sidney Osinga

Jun 23, 2009, 04:51 am

  Zachary J. Morrison wrote:

 
and not one, but two alien races from the 60’s (can you guess?)

Well, one is the Skrulls obviously, but the other one stumps me. It couldn't be the Shi'ar or the Snarks, as they first appeared in the 70s and 80s respectively. Possible races are the Sirians, the Siris, or the Sneepers. Me, I'm hoping for the Sneepers, just because of their name.




skippcomet

Jun 23, 2009, 09:14 pm

Sidney Osinga wrote:

Well, one is the Skrulls obviously, but the other one stumps me. It couldn't be the Shi'ar or the Snarks, as they first appeared in the 70s and 80s respectively. Possible races are the Sirians, the Siris, or the Sneepers. Me, I'm hoping for the Sneepers, just because of their name.

My guess would be the Space Phantoms.




Sidney Osinga

Jun 24, 2009, 04:00 am

  skippcomet wrote:

My guess would be the Space Phantoms.

That's a good possibility. I didn't think of it because a) I was think of the Space Phantom as a individual, not a race, b) I don't consider them an alien race since they originate in Limbo, and c) I was only looking at races that started with letters that came before So...




Eduardo M.

Jun 26, 2009, 04:52 pm

Sidney Osinga wrote:

That's a good possibility. I didn't think of it because a) I was think of the Space Phantom as a individual, not a race, b) I don't consider them an alien race since they originate in Limbo, and c) I was only looking at races that started with letters that came before So...

Makes sense. Judging by the solicts, we get at least up to Speed. However, looking at who is on the cover, We can safely say the volume goes up to Songbird. This means the Skrulls are a lock. Whoever the second race is, they would have to come between at least Sal (Salem's Seven are mentioned in the solicts) to Son (Songbird)




bigvis497

Jul 2, 2009, 02:33 pm


Hopefully in the Shuma-Gorath entry the text about him hunting the Infinity Gems from one of those Capcom video games gets taken out, I never thought that should have been considered "in-continuity."




slevin87

Aug 24, 2009, 05:23 pm


Here's hoping that the Shocker (Schultz)'s history is fleshed out more, since in Spidey 2004 it was shorter than the description of his powers. I know he doesn't have a lot of twists and turns in his backstory, but it would be nice to see a little more detail.




Moira Brandon

Sep 15, 2009, 05:32 am


cant wait to see an extense profile of skrulls, with new pictures!!! In two weeks! ;)




Captain Morgan

Sep 29, 2009, 10:40 pm

I won't be able to get this till Monday but if somebody gets this can they tell me what strength level they gave Sasquatch in tons?




Eduardo M.

Sep 30, 2009, 09:22 pm


So who is in this volume. I need to settle a bet and alas I can't find this at LCS.




Sidney Osinga

Sep 30, 2009, 11:56 pm

  Eduardo M. wrote:

So who is in this volume. I need to settle a bet and alas I can't find this at LCS.

Ask and you shall receive.

Salem's Seven (2 pgs)
Salome (1 pg)
Sandman (Baker) (3 pgs)
Santa Claus (4 pgs)
Santerians (1 pg)
Sasquatch (Langkowski) (3 pgs)
Satan (Kurios) (2 pgs)
Satana (Hellstrom) (3 pgs)
Satannish (2 pgs)
Saturnyne (2 pgs)
Sat-Yr9 (1 pg)
Saurians (2pgs)
Sauron (1 pg)
Savage Land (including Savage Lands races) (8 pgs)
Savage Land Mutates (3 pgs)
S'Byll (1 pgs)
Scarecrow (Laughton) (3 pgs)
Scarlet Centurion (Richards) (2 pgs)
Scarlet Centurion (Marcus Kang) (1 pg)
Scarlet Witch (Maximoff) (6pgs)
Schutz Heiliggruppe (1 pg)
Scorcher (1 pg)
Scorpia (1 pg)
Scorpio (Fury) (1 pg)
Scorpion (Black) (2 pgs)
Scourge of the Underworld (3 pgs)
Nicholas Scratch (1 pg)
James Scully (2 pgs)
Secret Defenders (2 pgs)
Secret Empire (3 pgs)
Amanda Sefton (2 pgs)
Selene (2 pgs)
Sentinels (4 pgs)
Sentry (Reynolds) (2 pgs)
Seraph (1 pg)
Serpent Society (2 pgs),
Serpent Squad (2 pgs)
Sersi (2 pgs)
Set (3 pgs)
Seth (2 pgs)
Juston Seyfert (1 pg)
Shadow King (3 pgs)
Shadowline (3 pgs)
Shadowoman (1 pg)
Shadowqueen (1 pg)
Shaman (Twoyoungmen) (2 pgs)
Shamrock (Fitzgerald) (1 pg)
Shang-Chi (3 pgs)
Shanna the She Devil (O'Hara) (2 pgs)
Shanzar (1 pg)
Shaper of World (1 pg)
Shard (Bishop) (1 pg)
Shathra (1 pg)
Shatterstar (Gaveedra 7) (2 pgs)
Shazana (1 pg)
She-Hulk (Walters) (5 pgs)
Shi'ar (5 pgs)
Shi'ar Death Commandos (1 pg)
SHIELD (5 pgs)
SHIELD Helicarrier (2 pgs)
SHOC (1 pg)
Shocker (Schultz) (2 pgs)
Shockwave (Sneed) (1 pg)
Shriek (Barrison) (1 pg)
Shroud (2 pgs)
Shuma-Gorath (1 pg)
Siege Perilous (1 pg)
Sif (3 pgs)
Silhouette (Chord) (2 pgs)
Sammy Silke (1 pg)
Silver Dagger (1 pg)
Silver Fox (1 pg)
Silver Sable (3 pgs)
Silver Samurai (2 pgs)
Silver Scorpion (1 pg)
Silver Surfer (Radd) (4 pgs)
Silverclaw (1 pg)
Silvermane (2 pg)
Sin (Shmidt) (2 pgs)
Sinister Six (2 pgs)
Siryn (2 pgs)
Jasper Sitwell (2 pgs)
Six Pack (2 pgs)
Six-Fingered Hand (2 pgs)
Skien (2 pgs)
Skids (2 pgs)
Skin (1 pg)
Skreet (1 pg)
Skull Kill Krew (2 pgs)
Skrulls (7 pgs)
Slapstick (2 pgs)
Slaymaster (1 pg)
Sleepers (2 pgs)
Sleepwalker (3 pgs)
Slingers (2 pgs)
Slug (Lugman) (1 pg)
Slyde (1 pg)
Joe Smith (1 pg)
Tabitha Smith (2 pgs)
Smuggler (Conrad Josten) (1 pg)
Alistaire Smythe (1 pg)
Snarks (2 pgs)
Snowbird (2 pgs)
Solo (1 pg)
Snowbird (4 pgs)
Sons of the Serpent (3 pgs)
Sons of the Tiger (3 pgs)
Sons of Yinsen (1 pg)
Sorrow (1 pg)
Soul-Eater (1 pg)
Southpaw (1 pg)
Space Parasite (1 pg)
Space Phantoms (3 pgs)
Spaceknights (5 pgs)
Randall Spector (1 pg)
Speed (1 pg)

It was interesting to see all the entries that were expanded. However, it would have been nice to see a larger map of the Savage Land and larger pictures of the Sentinels, and I'm disappointed that Sauron was only given one page.

  Captain Morgan wrote:

I won't be able to get this till Monday but if somebody gets this can they tell me what strength level they gave Sasquatch in tons?

90 tons




ToddCam

Oct 1, 2009, 01:21 am


I'm guessing that second Snowbird is actually Songbird?




Sidney Osinga

Oct 1, 2009, 06:41 am

ToddCam wrote:

I'm guessing that second Snowbird is actually Songbird?

D'oh!

:bag:

You guessed correctly.




Eduardo M.

Oct 1, 2009, 12:35 pm

Sidney Osinga wrote:

D'oh!

:bag:

You guessed correctly.

haha!

I was wondering why Snowbird was listed twice.

BTW, thanks for posting the list. Now someone owes me lunch.




ToddCam

Oct 1, 2009, 04:22 pm


That appendix is pretty cool. I especially enjoyed learning that Stephen Drew and Vance Hawkins, who are also recurrent characters in the ebook Star Trek series Star Trek: Corps of Engineers, have counterparts on Earth-616 (or at least the Marvel Multiverse), albeit 400 years in the past.




TMFGC

Oct 1, 2009, 05:11 pm

ToddCam wrote:

That appendix is pretty cool. I especially enjoyed learning that Stephen Drew and Vance Hawkins, who are also recurrent characters in the ebook Star Trek series Star Trek: Corps of Engineers, have counterparts on Earth-616 (or at least the Marvel Multiverse), albeit 400 years in the past.

Whoa, whoa...what is the theme of this appendix?




RVcousin

Oct 1, 2009, 05:52 pm

I've got a question about he Tabitha Smith entry : is she listed as a X-Men member in her Group Affiliations ?




bigvis497

Oct 2, 2009, 09:34 am

TMFGC wrote:

Whoa, whoa...what is the theme of this appendix?

Marvel Novelizations.

Glad to see Sif got a decent sized entry, which gives me hope for Balder and the Warriors Three




ToddCam

Oct 2, 2009, 11:32 am

  bigvis497 wrote:

Marvel Novelizations.

Glad to see Sif got a decent sized entry, which gives me hope for Balder and the Warriors Three

Actually, no. It specifically omits novelizations. It's about original Marvel licensed novels.




Andy E. Nystrom

Oct 2, 2009, 12:31 pm

ToddCam wrote:

Actually, no. It specifically omits novelizations. It's about original Marvel licensed novels.

Also short stories and "choose your own path" stories. Since the latter is being summarized, I wonder if one of the final hardcovers will cover role-playing game adventures. Of course I'd also like an appendix to be devoted to alien races. Yes, we definitely need two more volumes at least. We already know the hardcovers won't end with volume 13 (unless things have changed since a previous thread), but that doesn't necessarily mean that volume 12 is it.




rplss

Oct 2, 2009, 05:29 pm


In the Sasquatch entry, it mentions events that took place in Cat's Paw, a module in TSR's Marvel Super-Heroes Role Playing Game. (the events with The Leader, Cascade and Kimara).
I was surprised by that. I thought the RPG stuff wasn't included in the 616 continuity so casually like that. Were all the other modules and expansion sets included in other entries?




skippcomet

Oct 2, 2009, 06:44 pm


Missing entries: Slipstream, Admiral Salo, She-Thing/Ms. Marvel II/Sharon Ventura

I can see Slipstream and Salo getting half-page entries, but I was surprised to see no entry for She-Thing after she didn't get an entry under Ms Marvel. I suppose she's being held for the V's under Ventura.




Sidney Osinga

Oct 3, 2009, 08:59 pm

  Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

Also short stories and "choose your own path" stories. Since the latter is being summarized, I wonder if one of the final hardcovers will cover role-playing game adventures. Of course I'd also like an appendix to be devoted to alien races.

Of course, we're also waiting on the appendix for the remainder of the Golden Age heroes, the prisons (from New Avengers: Most Wanted Files), and the swords, talismans, and tomes, although the magical ones might be included in an expanded version of the main Handbook entries. And that's not counting part 2 of the magic one from #7.




Captain Speedbump

Oct 7, 2009, 02:58 pm


Hello, everyone. Fantastic job on the Handbooks as usual. I can't believe we're almost at the end!

Anyway, I had a question, but I don't know if anyone here would have the answer. I mean, if someone knows and answers, great, but no one has to knock themselves out asking Marvel staffers just to placate me (I promise I won't be obnoxious like I was with that "took his measure and found him wanting" question from way back when).

Anyway, in the Silver Samurai's entry, it mentions the battle he and Spider-Man had that involved actors from a comedy TV show. Obviously, this was a reference to Marvel Team Up 74, with the cast of Saturday Night Live, which to my dissapointment was not recently reprinted in Essential Marvel Team Up 3.

I can understand why this reference was left vague for Vol. 10, since mentioning Spidey interacted with the original Not-Yet-Ready-for-Primetime-Players (especially John Belushi who died in 1982) would wreak havoc with Marvel continuity (if Spidey were 18ish then, he would be in his late 40's/early 50's now), but why wasn't it included in the Essential? Was it due to legal matters with NBC and the like, or did Marvel just not want to date Spider-Man, even though everyone knows the Essentials cover stoies from past decades? I'd understand if it was a legal matter, but from a purely nostalgic perspective, I'd have included it. I know nobody here works on the Essentials, but it seems you folks are constantly mired in what can and can't be included in the Handbooks for legal purposes, so I was just wondering if anyone heard anything.

Again, if no one knows, don't push anyone to get the answers on my account. If I get an answer, great. If not, I'll live.

In any event, keep up the good work, and I hope there will be more Handbooks in the future after the Hardcovers!

Capt. Speedbump




Andy E. Nystrom

Oct 7, 2009, 03:41 pm

  Captain Speedbump wrote:

I can understand why this reference was left vague for Vol. 10, since mentioning Spidey interacted with the original Not-Yet-Ready-for-Primetime-Players (especially John Belushi who died in 1982) would wreak havoc with Marvel continuity (if Spidey were 18ish then, he would be in his late 40's/early 50's now), but why wasn't it included in the Essential? Was it due to legal matters with NBC and the like, or did Marvel just not want to date Spider-Man, even though everyone knows the Essentials cover stoies from past decades? I'd understand if it was a legal matter, but from a purely nostalgic perspective, I'd have included it. I know nobody here works on the Essentials, but it seems you folks are constantly mired in what can and can't be included in the Handbooks for legal purposes, so I was just wondering if anyone heard anything.

It's a safe bet that it was a legal matter (with NBC, Universal, the actors/next of kin, etc. or some combo of the above). A Thing/Doc Savage team-up was omitted from Essential Marvel Two-in-One v1 while a Rom crossover was omitted from Essential Power Man & Iron Fist v1.

This is also why there was no Essential Conan v2 and why Dark Horse (the current license holder) is producing the rough equivalent to Essentials with Savage Sword of Conan and Solomon Kane. The one exception to all this is Marvel did strike a deal with Toho re; Godzilla, which is probably why the Godzilla logo Toho currently uses appears at the bottom of the spine instead of a volume number.




Captain Speedbump

Oct 8, 2009, 10:08 pm

  Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

It's a safe bet that it was a legal matter (with NBC, Universal, the actors/next of kin, etc. or some combo of the above). A Thing/Doc Savage team-up was omitted from Essential Marvel Two-in-One v1 while a Rom crossover was omitted from Essential Power Man & Iron Fist v1.

This is also why there was no Essential Conan v2 and why Dark Horse (the current license holder) is producing the rough equivalent to Essentials with Savage Sword of Conan and Solomon Kane. The one exception to all this is Marvel did strike a deal with Toho re; Godzilla, which is probably why the Godzilla logo Toho currently uses appears at the bottom of the spine instead of a volume number.

Thanks for the info, Andy! It's a shame that some of these stories can't be reprinted, because aside from the non-marvel characters, some of those issues did have important moments in the Marvel Canon (such as Thomas Lightner first appearing in MTIO #21, which as you mentioned, featured Doc Savage).

Capt. Speedbump




rplss

Oct 8, 2009, 11:41 pm

Ah, Sasquatch entry, a great improvement over the A-Z #9 entry. Wow it's really very nicely done and much better. The typographical error misspelling his wife's name as "Veronica Langkowsi" remains, though. In the next hardcover series, please fix that!

I had a chronology question though: the events of Alpha Flight #1 are placed before MTIO #83 and #84 (Ranark the Ravager). I always thought it was the other way around, based on the phrase "half your team" uttered by Ben Grimm at 138A Laurier Drive, referring to 3 members of a 6 member team. 3 members of an 8 member team isn't half. Also, the active roster cards only show six members total as James Hudson says, "We'll need our full team", where's Puck and Marrina who joined in AF #1? Why is it written so that AF#1 takes place before MTIO #83 and #84?




Andy E. Nystrom

Oct 9, 2009, 10:20 am

  Captain Speedbump wrote:

Thanks for the info, Andy! It's a shame that some of these stories can't be reprinted, because aside from the non-marvel characters, some of those issues did have important moments in the Marvel Canon (such as Thomas Lightner first appearing in MTIO #21, which as you mentioned, featured Doc Savage).

Capt. Speedbump

Agreed on that one. Keep in my that I have no firsthand knowledge so am only speculating on much of the above, but Marvel's been pretty consistent on omitting licensed properties from Essentials so I think I'm treading in safe waters here. It wouldn't surprise me if Marvel at some point makea a Godzilla-like deal with Parker Brothers or whoever owns Rom now, and between the Marvel solo series and 2 in 1 there's probably enough material for an Essential Doc Savage as well. However I doubt that the MTU story will get reprinted because of the costs of licensing just for one story. In fact now that I think of it, I'm surprised that the David Letterman issue made it onto the Gitcorp Avengers DVD-ROM




Stuart V

Oct 10, 2009, 08:34 am

rplss wrote:

I had a chronology question though: the events of Alpha Flight #1 are placed before MTIO #83 and #84 (Ranark the Ravager). I always thought it was the other way around, based on the phrase "half your team" uttered by Ben Grimm at 138A Laurier Drive, referring to 3 members of a 6 member team. 3 members of an 8 member team isn't half. Also, the active roster cards only show six members total as James Hudson says, "We'll need our full team", where's Puck and Marrina who joined in AF #1? Why is it written so that AF#1 takes place before MTIO #83 and #84?

Though written and published well after MTIO #84, Alpha Flight #1 is set almost immediately after UXM #140, when the team loses government funding. You can't have an adventure between the two, because Alpha had effectively broken up, and it wasn't until fighting Tundra that they agree to stick together. AF #1 is set months in the past compared to other comics published the same month; there's a big time gap openly mentioned in AF #2 which brings the comic back into line chronologically with the rest of the Marvel line, and it's in this gap that the Ranark battle takes place. Ben says "half the team" but he's either rounding off, or simply doesn't know about Puck and Marrina (because, in real world terms, they didn't exist yet, and in fictional terms, they aren't well known internationally). The active roster cards don't show them because the characters hadn't been created yet; effectively the events of AF #1 require you to retcon MTIO to assume Hudson was referring to Puck and Marrina too, but that we simply didn’t see their roster cards, and they failed to get to the scene of the action.

  Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

Agreed on that one. Keep in my that I have no firsthand knowledge so am only speculating on much of the above, but Marvel's been pretty consistent on omitting licensed properties from Essentials so I think I'm treading in safe waters here. It wouldn't surprise me if Marvel at some point makea a Godzilla-like deal with Parker Brothers or whoever owns Rom now, and between the Marvel solo series and 2 in 1 there's probably enough material for an Essential Doc Savage as well. However I doubt that the MTU story will get reprinted because of the costs of licensing just for one story. In fact now that I think of it, I'm surprised that the David Letterman issue made it onto the Gitcorp Avengers DVD-ROM

I believe (without being a lawyer, so don't hold me to this) that there's no copyright issues showing public figures - hence Letterman isn't an issue. However, in MTU #74 with the SNL guys, John Belushi doesn't appear, but his copyrighted character Samurai Futaba does.




Andy E. Nystrom

Oct 10, 2009, 12:00 pm

  Stuart V wrote:

I believe (without being a lawyer, so don't hold me to this) that there's no copyright issues showing public figures - hence Letterman isn't an issue. However, in MTU #74 with the SNL guys, John Belushi doesn't appear, but his copyrighted character Samurai Futaba does.

I recall actually reading the indica of the Letterman issue when it came out and it mentioned that Letterman and Paul Shafer were used with their permission. Not sure if Marvel had to do so because of the extended role or if they were simply being polite, but since it made the indica it would suggest that there was some legal reason. It may simply be a case that Gitcorp either asked permission or that Letterman and Shafer don't know/don't care if the story's reprinted.




Eduardo M.

Oct 14, 2009, 06:37 pm


just got this in the mail. Looks good so far. I like that people like Songbird, Sandman, and Shocker got more pages. Nice to see Serpent squad finally get some Handbook coverage. Nice appendix although I was hoping for an updated and expanded list of either mystic artifacts or Golden Age heroes. Then again we still a couple of volumes to go so who knows, maybe I'll get my wish




Sidney Osinga

Oct 15, 2009, 09:38 pm


I found a couple of mistakes in the Sinister Six entry:

First, under the Chameleon head shot it said he was first active Spider-Man Unlimited #9. However, that was the appearance of the Sinister Seven, which he wasn't a part of, so it's obviously in error.

Also, Pitty was listed as a member (specially of the Sinister Six organized by the Gentleman), so why didn't she get a head shot?
EDIT: Turns out that this version of the S6 appeared in a novel, so it could have been that there wasn't one.
EDIT #2: Actually, checking again, there was at least one picture of Pity, so my original question still stands.




Eduardo M.

Oct 15, 2009, 11:34 pm

Sidney Osinga wrote:

I found
Also, Pitty was listed as a member (specially of the Sinister Six organized by the Gentleman), so why didn't she get a head shot?
EDIT: Turns out that this version of the S6 appeared in a novel, so it could have been that there wasn't one.
EDIT #2: Actually, checking again, there was at least one picture of Pity, so my original question still stands.

Its a pity Pity didn't get a headshot.

Sorry. couldn't help myself. I'll go sit in a corner now.




Andy E. Nystrom

Oct 16, 2009, 01:05 pm

  Eduardo M. wrote:

Its a pity Pity didn't get a headshot.

Sorry. couldn't help myself. I'll go sit in a corner now.

I'm pretty sure she was in Canada at the time the headshot was scheduled: at the end of an old commercial for Red Rose tea, they would always say "Only in Canada? Pity!"

Sorry, had to sink this even further.




golden_guardian

Oct 16, 2009, 06:47 pm

In Shuma-Gorath's profile, it says he tried to conquer Earth and other realms via acquisition of the Infinity Gems. Which comic was that in?

Also in the last paragraph of the Scarlet Witch's profile, it says that Clint Barton is the only one that knows where she is but that is not true. Beast sought her out in Transia and spoke with her during the Endangered Species storyline.




Eduardo M.

Oct 16, 2009, 08:28 pm

golden_guardian wrote:

In Shuma-Gorath's profile, it says he tried to conquer Earth and other realms via acquisition of the Infinity Gems. Which comic was that in?

I think that's a reference to a video game.

Back to tabitha Smith for a sec. At the end of her history it says that X-Force saved her from death. HOWEVER, in describing her powers, its in past tense, something usually reserved for deceased characters.




Rayeye

Oct 17, 2009, 06:58 pm


Got this handbook this week finally. Again it is a great piece of work!

Some questions:
- I was wondering why some characters have got a older picture instead of the ones used in the previous handbooks (2004-2008), like Sasquatch, Amanda Sefton, Shanna the She-Devil and Shocker?
- Weren't Angel, Iceman, Iron Fist, Giant-Man (Henry Pym), and USAgent also members of the Secret Defenders? They were not included in the Secret Defenders profile. But Angel and Iceman were listed as former members in their own individual profiles. Giant-Man and Iron Fist were starring in Secret Defenders #18 (and perhaps other issues).




Madison Carter

Oct 18, 2009, 11:12 am

  Rayeye wrote:

Got this handbook this week finally. Again it is a great piece of work!

Some questions:
- I was wondering why some characters have got a older picture instead of the ones used in the previous handbooks (2004-2008), like Sasquatch, Amanda Sefton, Shanna the She-Devil and Shocker?
- Weren't Angel, Iceman, Iron Fist, Giant-Man (Henry Pym), and USAgent also members of the Secret Defenders? They were not included in the Secret Defenders profile. But Angel and Iceman were listed as former members in their own individual profiles. Giant-Man and Iron Fist were starring in Secret Defenders #18 (and perhaps other issues).

I can't answer for all the writers, but I can definitely answer the Shanna question. The reason a different image was used for her was because that wasn't Shanna that was originally depicted in her first profile years ago; it was the clone Shanna from that Frank Cho mini, not the real Shanna.




drmick

Nov 1, 2009, 11:22 am


Anybody disappointed by the cover on this volume?




bigvis497

Nov 2, 2009, 10:53 am

  drmick wrote:

Anybody disappointed by the cover on this volume?

Can you possibly elaborate on this? I thought the cover featured the usual rock-solid artwork from Grummett, and the character selection had no major omissions.




drmick

Nov 5, 2009, 01:48 pm


Poor artwork overall, and a few characters looked deliberately obstructed, as if the artist couldn't be bothered to draw them a bit more fully.

Andy E. Nystrom

Nov 5, 2009, 04:46 pm

  bigvis497 wrote:

Poor artwork overall, and a few characters looked deliberately obstructed, as if the artist couldn't be bothered to draw them a bit more fully.

I just took a look at the cover a bit more closely and the only flaw that jumps out is that there probably should have been Sentinel legs in the background. I think the obstruction is simply due to there being 15 characters on the cover. The little sand piles were a nice touch.

BTW on a more general note I haven't forgotten about my lists of changes. The real world's been intruding on my fun of late and I want to get caught up on what's I haven't examined from previous volumes before tackling the latest volume.
 


My photostream (over 5.6 million photos!)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24917258@N05/
 

Board footera

 

Powered by Boardhost. Create a Free Forum