Who Watches the Watchers - Forum for the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe & Similar Works 20 YEARS! 2004-2024

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/07/2020 4:25 pm  #1

Secret Wars: Official Guide to the Multiverse #1

Historical text from CxPulp:

Angelicknight
04-21-2015, 12:39 PM
SECRET WARS: OFFICIAL GUIDE TO THE MARVEL MULTIVERSE #1
Written by THE OHOTMU TEAM, LED BY MIKE O’SULLIVAN & JEFF CHRISTIANSEN
Cover by MIKE McKONE
Worlds are colliding! Both on Battleworld, and in the SECRET WARS OFFICIAL GUIDE TO THE MARVEL MULTIVERSE #1 – a collection of all-new Profiles! Journey through Marvel’s multiverse:
Old Man Logan! The Ultimate Universe’s Spider-Man (Miles Morales)! The Age of Ultron! Weirdworld! The Spider-Verse event! The Age of Apocalypse’s Nightcrawler! Plus: profiles of the characters and events at the core of the Secret Wars: the Incursions of Earths, Namor’s Cabal, the Future Foundation kids and more! Also featuring key participants in previous Secret Wars: Volcana (Marsha Rosenberg), Thunderball (Eliot Franklin), the healer Zsaji, the Dark Elf Kurse, original Battleworld refugee Puff the dragon, and the Secret Wars II event itself! And because we love you: the Pet Avengers’ Throg, Lady Deadpool, Teen Hulk…and Obnoxio the Clown?!
64 PGS./Rated T+ …$4.99

Andy E. Nystrom
04-21-2015, 07:22 PM
Excellent news! It also bodes well for Marvel keeping some of their older continuity if they're having a Handbook during this (unlike when DC cancelled Who's Who due to Flashpoint).

Sidney Osinga
04-21-2015, 08:28 PM
Interesting to see AoA Nightcrawler in there, since he's been covered before in the X-Men: AoA Handbook 10 years ago.

mal32
04-21-2015, 11:29 PM
WOW!!! We will have a happy July!!!

vanhornluke
04-22-2015, 10:07 AM
Sweet!!! Can't wait for this!

Stuart V
04-22-2015, 10:20 AM

Sidney Osinga wrote:

Interesting to see AoA Nightcrawler in there, since he's been covered before in the X-Men: AoA Handbook 10 years ago.

A lot has happened to him since then.

Andy E. Nystrom
04-22-2015, 07:12 PM
Nice that at least two on my wish list (Obnoxio and Teen Hulk) will get crossed off. It's funny though that two characters from the same humour magazine made it in. Downright crazy in fact.

JusticeGMH
04-22-2015, 09:28 PM
Yay! More OHOTMU-y goodness! Can't wait.

zuckyd1
04-23-2015, 07:46 AM

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

Nice that at least two on my wish list (Obnoxio and Teen Hulk) will get crossed off. It's funny though that two characters from the same humour magazine made it in. Downright crazy in fact.

I see what you did there. ;)

vanhornluke
04-23-2015, 12:15 PM

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

Now if only more of the humor characters could get handbook entries (Kathy Carter, Jeanie, Margie, Willie, Tessie, Nellie, Sherry, Pearl, Irma...). ;-)

skippcomet
04-23-2015, 03:37 PM

Stuart V wrote:

A lot has happened to him since then.

Really? I had absolutely no idea. I just looked him up on the Marvel wikia and see he's now yet another 'immigrant' from Earth-295 to -616.

I knew that one of the reasons the new SECRET WARS was being done was so Marvel could bring an end to the Ultimate line of comics and bring Miles Morales (and possibly a few other survivors of that Universe) into whatever its "main" universe is going to be (I suppose we won't be able to call it 'Earth-616' for much longer); it reminds me, after a fashion, of the lengths DC went to to "acquire" Static from Milestone Media (and apparently, only Static), only to really botch up his aborted New 52 title, so here's hoping Marvel has better luck with Miles Morales. But it's interesting to see that with Secret Wars upon us, the OHOTMU teams's practice of keeping entries on Ultimate Marvel characters completely separate from the rest of the Marvel Universe is being deviated from.

Angelicknight
04-23-2015, 04:34 PM

skippcomet wrote:

Really? I had absolutely no idea. I just looked him up on the Marvel wikia and see he's now yet another 'immigrant' from Earth-295 to -616.

I knew that one of the reasons the new SECRET WARS was being done was so Marvel could bring an end to the Ultimate line of comics and bring Miles Morales (and possibly a few other survivors of that Universe) into whatever its "main" universe is going to be (I suppose we won't be able to call it 'Earth-616' for much longer); it reminds me, after a fashion, of the lengths DC went to to "acquire" Static from Milestone Media (and apparently, only Static), only to really botch up his aborted New 52 title, so here's hoping Marvel has better luck with Miles Morales. But it's interesting to see that with Secret Wars upon us, the OHOTMU teams's practice of keeping entries on Ultimate Marvel characters completely separate from the rest of the Marvel Universe is being deviated from.

Most likely it will still be 616 just with more alternate universe characters but that's nothing new 616 has numerous alternate Earth characters already on it Thundra, Howard the Duck, Devil Dinosaur, Moon Boy, Marvel Boy, Marvel Girl, Speedball (Marvel Apes), Black Swan, Avengers Next, Kymera, She-Hulk (Lyra), Hyperion (Avengers) to name just a few of the more well known ones.

skippcomet
04-24-2015, 11:25 AM
I don't know how many new or previously uncovered alternate realities will be covered in this...but I hope there will be room for one or two entries to cover characters and stuff from such worlds as Earth-712 (the Squadron Supreme), Earth-982 (MC2), Earth-928 (Marvel 2099), the New Universe, or Earth-691 (the original Guardians of the Galaxy), for example. Only a handful of the Squadron (including the Redeemers and the Institute of Evil as members) have been covered, for instance. Doom 2099 still hasn't gotten an entry, and surely there are heroes, villains, and supporting characters from all these realities who could be covered. One or two entries on, say, Skylark or Amphibian from the Squadron Supreme, Talon or Replica from the Guardians, Tyler Stone or Bloodhawk from 2099, or Freebooter or Earth Sentry, for example. I'm not asking for the whole book to be like this, just saying it's be nice to get, say, one more new entry on a member of the Squadron Supreme in a book called "the Guide to the Multiverse."

Andy E. Nystrom
04-24-2015, 05:56 PM
In terms of alternate universe characters, I'd love to see Punisher-MAX, but I'm not expecting him because he hasn't to my knowledge been promoted as being involved in the event, and Marvel for now at least seems to have closed the door on his adventures except in stories set in the past. No one's fault really, but he does deserve a Handbook entry. In terms of Squadroners, the two I'd most love to see get entries are Dr Spectrum and Whizzer. And Earth-Ecch and/or Forbush Man needs an entry. Also Guardians of the Galaxy's Hollywood or Replica. Queen's Vengeance. Youth oriented lines (Marvel Age, Marvel Adventures, etc). Sister Voodoo & Voodoo Chile. Speedball (Marvel Apes). Spider-Man (Prabhakar or zombie). You might notice I'm going through my old wish list and seeing what's applicable, minus the odd longshot (more so than Earth-Ecch).

frogoat
04-27-2015, 01:23 AM
I'd also love to see more MC2 and 2099 profiles, for what it's worth. The more alternate world characters spotlighted, the better. I'm so happy to see another new handbook out this year. Congratulations to everyone involved.

Eduardo M.
07-01-2015, 04:26 PM
do we know when in July this will come out?

Angelicknight
07-01-2015, 04:31 PM
Diamond has it coming out next wed.

Sidney Osinga
07-02-2015, 10:12 PM

Angelicknight wrote:

Diamond has it coming out next wed.

Actually, they don't http://www.previewsworld.com/Home/1/1/71/954 Comic Shop News has it listed for the 29th.

Angelicknight
07-03-2015, 12:12 AM

Sidney Osinga wrote:

Actually, they don't http://www.previewsworld.com/Home/1/1/71/954 Comic Shop News has it listed for the 29th.

I stand corrected. I could have sworn i seen it listed on there for next week.

Andy E. Nystrom
07-03-2015, 09:11 AM

Angelicknight wrote:

I stand corrected. I could have sworn i seen it listed on there for next week.

I know I saw it listed on the 8th somewhere. Might have gotten slightly delayed for one reason or another.

Angelicknight
07-18-2015, 11:13 AM
Diamond now has this listed to come out October 7th.

skippcomet
07-18-2015, 01:56 PM
Link, please?

Angelicknight
07-18-2015, 02:49 PM
http://www.previewsworld.com/Home/1/...emID=MAY150648

mal32
07-20-2015, 01:34 AM

Angelicknight wrote:

Diamond now has this listed to come out October 7th.

This is awful...

Andy E. Nystrom
07-27-2015, 03:53 PM

mal32 wrote:

This is awful...

Agreed but I can kind of understand the logic. Some status quos might not have settled yet for characters etc covered so this month would mean having incomplete info that would change very shortly or revealing stuff that will happen in the other Secret Wars titles

frogoat
07-28-2015, 01:41 AM
They have delayed Secret Wars, so it stands to reason they'd delay the handbook related to it. Either that, or it's delayed for a completely unrelated reason.

mal32
07-28-2015, 09:15 AM

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

Agreed but I can kind of understand the logic. Some status quos might not have settled yet for characters etc covered so this month would mean having incomplete info that would change very shortly or revealing stuff that will happen in the other Secret Wars titles

I accept your logic but I suffer to wait for a Handbook... I need at least a Handbook every month or two...

frogoat
07-29-2015, 01:04 AM
Hang in there, mal32!

mal32
07-29-2015, 05:18 AM

frogoat wrote:

Hang in there, mal32!

I will!!!!!!!!

Sidney Osinga
07-29-2015, 08:50 PM
My opinion of the delay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07So_lJQyqw

mal32
07-31-2015, 12:28 PM

Sidney Osinga wrote:

My opinion of the delay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07So_lJQyqw 

What does this mean?

mal32
08-03-2015, 01:09 PM

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

May we hope that Marvel will await to publish this Handbook because, this way, they will publish a complete and updated 0-9 / A-Z Handbook covering all the New Marvel Universe/Multiverse? (is it only a dream?)

Eduardo M.
08-03-2015, 02:19 PM

mal32 wrote:

May we hope that Marvel will await to publish this Handbook because, this way, they will publish a complete and updated 0-9 / A-Z Handbook covering all the New Marvel Universe/Multiverse? (is it only a dream?)

One can only hope

Andy E. Nystrom
09-19-2015, 09:33 AM
Current online sources now have it this at October 28 rather than October 7. I couldn't find an exact date for the first Guidebook to the Marvel Universe, but this will obviously come out either later or on the same day. On the plus side we're getting two Handbooks of sorts next month, albeit one more a traditional Handbook than the other.

Angelicknight
09-19-2015, 11:35 AM
I assumed when Secret Wars was extended it would be pushed back further as to avoid some spoilers that might be contained within.

Andy E. Nystrom
09-19-2015, 06:23 PM
Comic Shop News #1474 list both this and the Iron Man Guidebook as due on Oct. 24.

Sidney Osinga
09-20-2015, 06:15 AM

Sidney Osinga wrote:

Comic Shop News #1474 list both this and the Iron Man Guidebook as due on Oct. 24.

Son of a biscuit! I misread it. It's actually the 28th.

Andy E. Nystrom
09-21-2015, 05:54 PM

Sidney Osinga wrote:

Son of a biscuit! I misread it. It's actually the 28th.

S'okay. So then at this stage online and print sources are both saying October 28. Barring any new delays that seems like the probable date to look forward to.

Andy E. Nystrom
10-02-2015, 06:28 AM
Has anyone been able to find the actual cover? I've checked and can only find the preview image in the first post. It would be fun to do the usual guessing from the cover image who else is in it.

Andy E. Nystrom
10-19-2015, 02:38 PM
Okay. We don't have a cover to go by unfortunately, but now that it's nine days away, anyone want to make an educated guess on who's in it (other than who is listed in the solicitations)? Whoever gets the most right I'll send a No-Prize to once we see who's in it. In the event of a tie, the winners get to share the No-Prize.

Angelicknight
10-19-2015, 03:25 PM
Black Vortex (event)
Circuit Breaker (Secret Wars II)
Eye-Scream (Obnoxio/X-Men foe)
Fastforward
Golden Society (Incursions)
Guillotine (Contest of Champions)
Legion Accured (Secret Wars II)
Miracleman
Ms. Marvel (Kamala)
Original Sin (event)
Regent
Secret War (SHIELD event)
Singularity (A-Force)
Thane
Unseen/Nick Fury update
White Fox (Contests of Champions)
X-Men (past versions)

skippcomet
10-20-2015, 03:49 AM
Civil War was covered in the Blockbusters of the Marvel Universe Handbook.

Bentley (Wizard clone)
Bulldozer (Henry Camp) (Secret Wars [first one] participant)
Piledriver (Secret Wars [first one] participant)

I honestly haven't been keeping up with any of this year's Secret Wars shenanigans. Too many minis, too much damn money, too much Jonathan Hickman for my taste.

Angelicknight
10-22-2015, 10:56 PM
Cover and 5 page preview  http://www.comicbookresources.com/comic-previews/secret-wars-official-guide-to-the-marvel-multiverse-1-marvel-comics-2015

Andy E. Nystrom
10-23-2015, 06:48 AM

Anyone want to speculate on the cover? Normally that would knock off characters from predictions, but since the series involves multiple versions of characters, ok to add to guesses.

Obviously, however, characters and concepts in the preview pages are now off limits if they weren't already. Pages include Incursions, Maker (former Ultimate Mr Fantastic), Old Man Logan (previously announced), Shiklah, Weirdworld (previously announced). No No-Prizes for these.

Andy E. Nystrom
10-25-2015, 03:30 PM
Only two people have taken a crack at the No-Prize contest so it's still pretty much anyone's game. So keep guessing people! I'll make the cut-off time 6 am Pacific/9 am Eastern to ensure no guesses after purchasing.

Angelicknight
10-25-2015, 03:41 PM
Thought they would be more interest in this.

vanhornluke
10-25-2015, 03:58 PM
I'm very interested in the handbook. However, I haven't read many of the Secret Wars comics, so I don't know enough to hazard guesses about who might be included beyond what's already been announced.

Angelicknight
10-25-2015, 04:04 PM
not sure how much of actual secret wars will be covered when you have characters like obnoxio the clown and Teen Hulk which was characters only seen on covers. I imagine it will have more building up to Secret Wars than actual secret Wars itself but who knows?

skippcomet
10-25-2015, 04:38 PM

vanhornluke wrote:

I'm very interested in the handbook. However, I haven't read many of the Secret Wars comics, so I don't know enough to hazard guesses about who might be included beyond what's already been announced.

When the solicits came out, I came away with an impression that it would be kind of a hodgepodge of entries tangentially related to the two 80s Secret Wars minis, the major actors in this year's Secret Wars (and I really wasn't expecting any "update" entries, let alone of characters from Earth-1610, as it's been apparently the policy to keep characters from the Ultimate Universe and Supreme Power VERY separate from the rest of the handbooks, or at least that's the impression that's been created), and something of a spiritual successor to the 2005 Alternate Universes Handbook, covering new and previously uncovered AUs and characters from them. Also, my comics buying has drastically been reduced for several reasons in the last year or two, and I just found this year's Secret Wars to be...too much to follow.

It would be kinda neat if, in the spirit of all things tangential, Bendis's Secret War and the uncovered members of the Secret Warriors were somehow included. Lucia von Bardas, anyone?

Are there any potential characters from Secret Wars II not yet covered nor mentioned in the solicits?

And if Maker/Reed Richards-1610 is getting an updated entry, who else is getting an updated entry? Molecule Man? Dr. Doom? Thanos? The Illuminati?

Ultimately I just hope for some kind of (even irregularly scheduled) future Handbook goodness, and not just the random entry or two at the back of another comic or selection of updated entries at the back of a random trade. Not everything can be fit into another Avengers-centric handbook, no matter how tangential the connection made between a potential entry and the Avengers, can it?

vanhornluke
10-25-2015, 04:42 PM

skippcomet wrote:

Not everything can be fit into another Avengers-centric handbook, no matter how tangential the connection made between a potential entry and the Avengers, can it?

I think all my suggestions in the other thread show that you're right. I very much doubt an Avengers-themed handbook would cover humor/romance/crime/war characters from the 40s and 50s. :-P

Angelicknight
10-25-2015, 05:32 PM
I will add a few to my previous list maybe get the guessing starting again

Banshee Squadron (new Secret Wars)
Black Ant
Combat Kelly and the Deadly Dozen (new Secret Wars)
Doctor Midas (Original Sin)
Secret Wars update (original covering the Deadpool retcon)
Silk
Yotat the Destroyer (new Secret Wars)

Andy E. Nystrom
10-25-2015, 08:03 PM

skippcomet wrote:

When the solicits came out, I came away with an impression that it would be kind of a hodgepodge of entries tangentially related to the two 80s Secret Wars minis, the major actors in this year's Secret Wars

That's my impression as well (also Secret War/Nick Fury). I usually buy all my comics during Boxing Week (except for Handbooks, Essentials and Showcase Presents) so I'm a bit behind on the event itself, but Zsaji getting an entry is a definite nod to the first Secret Wars.

I doubt I'll win with just one pick but I can't resist this one:
Beyond (event)

Andy E. Nystrom
10-26-2015, 07:07 AM
Two days away. Other than my own guess only two people have made an attempt at the No-Prize contest yet so I'll dangle a new rule: if no one gets any right, everyone who made guesses will get a No-Prize just for playing.

I'll add one more guess: I'm pretty sure that the Yellowjacket in the thematically-related Beyond mini-series was the Skrull Criti Nol so he'll be my second guess.

Blue_Shield
10-26-2015, 08:21 AM
Comic Book Resources has a preview up. The cover, credits, and entries for Incursions, Maker, Old Man Logan, Shirkah, and Weirdworld are shown.

Andy E. Nystrom
10-26-2015, 11:46 AM

Blue_Shield wrote:

Comic Book Resources has a preview up. The cover, credits, and entries for Incursions, Maker, Old Man Logan, Shirkah, and Weirdworld are shown.

Yes, link on page 5 on this thread (but it's a good reminder for lurkers who are on the fence about buying).

mal32
10-26-2015, 03:21 PM
Doctor Doom
Supreme Squadron
Beyonders
Molecule Man

zuckyd1
10-26-2015, 06:50 PM

Angelicknight wrote:

Is this now canon, or is it an AU like many of Bunn's other Deadpool minis?

Angelicknight
10-26-2015, 07:01 PM

zuckyd1 wrote:

Supposedly cannon but i have to see it in print first.

Sidney Osinga
10-26-2015, 07:55 PM
Interesting.....

Andy E. Nystrom
10-27-2015, 07:23 AM
Out tomorrow! Remember, the contest ends tomorrow at 6 am Pacific/9 am Eastern and equivalent overseas. The drought is almost over, and with two books the same day!

zuckyd1
10-27-2015, 09:42 AM
My LCS opens at 8AM Eastern (not that I ever get there that early).

Angelicknight
10-27-2015, 10:03 AM

zuckyd1 wrote:

My LCS opens at 8AM Eastern (not that I ever get there that early).

Same here shops opens at 8AM Eastern as well.

Andy E. Nystrom
10-27-2015, 10:59 AM

Angelicknight wrote:

Same here shops opens at 8AM Eastern as well.

If the comic shops are open and the new comics are available available that early, I'll let people using the honour system for that one hour. If you have a copy or were involved in making the Handbook, you know the right thing to do is to not post guesses.

Sidney Osinga
10-27-2015, 05:38 PM

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

If the comic shops are open and the new comics are available available that early, I'll let people using the honour system for that one hour. If you have a copy or were involved in making the Handbook, you know the right thing to do is to not post guesses.

That's why I haven't

JusticeGMH
10-28-2015, 01:41 AM
Contents
Ok, well hopefully no one's too mad if I jeopardize the No-Prize contest, but the book is now up on the Marvel App, so here's the list:

SPOILERS

Adolf Impossible (1/2)
Age of Ultron (2)
Amphibian (1)
Bentley-23 (1)
Cabal (Thanos' team) (1)
Chief Examiner (1)
Children of the Secret Wars (What If? #114) (1)
Egyptia (2)
Fearsome Four (House of M) (1)
Ghost Rider (Alejandra Jones) (2)
Incursions (3)
Iron Avengers (1)
Killraven's Freemen (1)
Kurse (2)
Lady Deadpool (1)
Magni (The Reigning) (1)
Maker (Reed Richards) Update (2)
Moloids (Future Foundation) (1)
Nightcrawler (AOA) (1)
Obnoxio the Clown (1)
Old Man Logan (1)
Onome (1/2)
Puff (1/2)
Red King (Planet Hulk) (2)
Ruby Summers (1/2)
James Scully Update (1)
Secret Wars II (3)
Shiklah (1)
Spider-Man (Morales) (2)
Spider-Man (Prabhakar) (1)
Spider-Verse (3)
Tarianna (1/2)
Tyler Stone (1)
Teen Hulk (2)
Throg (Walterson) (1)
Thunderball (2)
Uhari Kids (1)
Ultimate Universe (5)
Volcanna (2)
Weirdworld (3)
Wild Thing (Doyle) (1)
Zsaji (1/2)

Andy E. Nystrom
10-28-2015, 07:06 AM
I haven't looked at the list because I scrolled down very, very carefully (I prefer to have a copy myself before seeing who's in it), but predictions are locked at the point where the list was posted on the thread. Once I have a copy myself I'll tally the results.

skippcomet
10-28-2015, 08:44 AM
Quick question: some entries appear to be listed as names, i.e., Firstname Lastname, but it looks like they're listed in alphabetical order by first name instead of last name. Example: Old Man Logan is apparently listed by the O in Old and not the L in Logan. Is this intentional?

vanhornluke
10-28-2015, 10:14 AM
I'm a little disappointed that the Spider-Verse entry doesn't explain how that storyline is related to the Spider-Verse storyline in the Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon, particularly since the Spider-Man from that cartoon is supposed to have participated in both events.

Trion
10-28-2015, 11:28 AM
I just went to pick this up on my lunch break. I think my comic store is sold out already!

Eduardo M.
10-28-2015, 02:42 PM
are there any clues in the book that may explain why it was delayed?

Andy E. Nystrom
10-28-2015, 03:23 PM

skippcomet wrote:

Civil War was covered in the Blockbusters of the Marvel Universe Handbook.

Bentley (Wizard clone)
Bulldozer (Henry Camp) (Secret Wars [first one] participant)
Piledriver (Secret Wars [first one] participant)

I honestly haven't been keeping up with any of this year's Secret Wars shenanigans. Too many minis, too much damn money, too much Jonathan Hickman for my taste.

Nevertheless you got the only correct guess (Bentley) so your No-Prize is on the way!

The entry I was most pleasantly surprised to see was Spider-Man from Spider-Man India. He may not have set sales on fire but he's a good character.

Angelicknight
10-28-2015, 04:20 PM
Congrats skippcomet! Nicely done.

rplass
10-28-2015, 04:51 PM
Got my copy. Feels good to buy an OHOTMU book again. It's been too long. I did have one question... the illustration by Ron Wilson for the Secret Wars II entry.... Is that an original piece or have we seen that before? It looks like cover art but I can't place it.

Sidney Osinga
10-28-2015, 06:24 PM
Just a few thoughts about what I've seen so far:

I have noticed a number of typos in the profiles, moreso than what I've seen in the past. I wonder if there's a reason for that. (For example: Fearsone Four " It was greatly troubled by this. It was In Genosha..." Ghost Rider "...Blackheart, who tempted her Nicaraguan sins she had been searching for.")

I don't remember the names Torrent, Chokehold, and Moleculon being use in What if? #114. Were they supplied by the writer of that book?

The update for James Scully makes me scratch my head. Sure, enough happened to warrent it, but aren't there more important characters who could have been done instead, not to mention ones who never had a profile? (Ghost Driver and Phantom Eagle spring to mind)

The fact that
Deadpool wasn't mentioned in Zsaji's profile
. Does that mean the recent limited series didn't take place in the regular continuity? That would make sense due to the number of revolutions it brought up about the first Secret Wars.

Andy E. Nystrom
10-28-2015, 06:47 PM
I noticed something in the Killraven's Freeman entry that some would claim is an error but let me try for a No-Prize according to traditional rules: in the lower left section of images Carmilla Frost's active issue is stated as Amazing Adventures #19, but on the right it says Amazing Adventures #21. But here's why it's not an error: Frost joined in #19, but in an untold story after #20 she left the team. Killraven convinced her to return immediately before the events of #21, thus restarting her membership in the Freemen. Does that work?

Sidney Osinga
10-28-2015, 08:02 PM

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

I noticed something in the Killraven's Freeman entry that some would claim is an error but let me try for a No-Prize according to traditional rules: in the lower left section of images Carmilla Frost's active issue is stated as Amazing Adventures #19, but on the right it says Amazing Adventures #21. But here's why it's not an error: Frost joined in #19, but in an untold story after #20 she left the team. Killraven convinced her to return immediately before the events of #21, thus restarting her membership in the Freemen. Does that work?

I think that is was referring to Arrow's first active on the left.

A ROM Curator
10-28-2015, 08:10 PM

rplss wrote:

[img]file:///C:\Users\Andy\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image001.png[/img]
Got my copy. Feels good to buy an OHOTMU book again. It's been too long. I did have one question... the illustration by Ron Wilson for the Secret Wars II entry.... Is that an original piece or have we seen that before? It looks like cover art but I can't place it.

It was Marvel Press Poster #18 in 1985, and has been printed inside a few other books recently such as the Secret Wars II Omnibus, the Marvel Super Heroes Secret Wars Battleworld Box Set (Behind The Scenes HC), and Twomorrow's Back Issue magazine #82. Most of those show the original black-and-white artwork though, I think the Battleworld Box was the only color version until now.

Andy E. Nystrom
10-28-2015, 08:26 PM

Sidney Osinga wrote:

I think that is was referring to Arrow's first active on the left.

Yeah, on closer examination, that probably is the case, which means that stuff before semi-colons don't count. Which means Mint Julep, Volcana Ash, and Eve 3,031 are missing Active issues. Possibly also Adam 3,301 (before a comma). It's a confusingly written section.

Sidney Osinga
10-28-2015, 08:43 PM

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

Yeah, on closer examination, that probably is the case, which means that stuff before semi-colons don't count. Which means Mint Julep, Volcana Ash, and Eve 3,031 are missing Active issues. Possibly also Adam 3,301 (before a comma). It's a confusingly written section.

I assume that all the characters you mentioned were included becuse they were allies, and you're right about how that part was written.

Andy E. Nystrom
10-28-2015, 08:56 PM

Sidney Osinga wrote:

I assume that all the characters you mentioned were included becuse they were allies, and you're right about how that part was written.

Okay, I think I understand it now. It was the mixing of members (with Active issues) and non-members (thus no Active issues but also no First Appearances) that threw me off. On the Master List I'll only include characters with the Active issues.

Andy E. Nystrom
10-29-2015, 12:43 PM
One question: For Egyptia, the Significant Inhabitants section implies Emma Frost had no codename but she is shown in one illo as White Queen. Does that version of her go by White Queen?

For Secret Wars II, nice touch giving Dave the surname Shooter.

skippcomet
10-30-2015, 03:17 AM

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

Nevertheless you got the only correct guess (Bentley) so your No-Prize is on the way!

The entry I was most pleasantly surprised to see was Spider-Man from Spider-Man India. He may not have set sales on fire but he's a good character.

Confession time: I remembered the solicits mentioning "the kids from the Future Foundation" or something, so I figured that meant that the kids who hadn't received entries yet were going to get covered (or the Foundation was getting an update entry, also possible)...and Bentley was the only one whose name I could remember off the top of my head. Eek. All anybody had to do to beat me was post one more Future Foundation kid's name.

Melou
11-03-2015, 04:02 PM

Pretty great handbook. Just not fan of the many "or an alternate counterpart" each time a character is dragged into the Battleworld. That's a just a trivia point, but I like clear stuff and I think of the handbook a clarification mean too...

Stuart V
11-04-2015, 01:30 PM

Angelicknight wrote:

I assumed when Secret Wars was extended it would be pushed back further as to avoid some spoilers that might be contained within.

Sadly, no. Originally we were only meant to cover events up to the start of the end of the multiverse/creation of Battleworld, as we should have come out before the event had really gotten underway. Hence the choice of entries including stuff tied to the original SW, stuff leading up to this latest one, and stuff related to the multiverse in general, but not realms or characters introduced in the new event. Then we got delayed, but we'd already written the entries, so there was no option for changing to different entries. We did manage to get the okay to at least partially update entries to cover what had happened in the published parts of the current event, but since those storylines were still ongoing, we had to be very careful as to what we could say.

frogoat wrote:

They have delayed Secret Wars, so it stands to reason they'd delay the handbook related to it. Either that, or it's delayed for a completely unrelated reason.

Unrelated, though perhaps not completely. I really don't know the specifics of why we got delayed, but it wasn't a "creative" decision (e.g. timing publication to what the entries said in terms of spoilers and current storylines). It might simply have been that Marvel only has so many staffers who can do things like prep books for publication, and if something arises that ties up some of them working on a high priority project, then they aren't available to spare working on a lower priority project, such as the handbooks. In those cases, the lower priority book would get pushed back in the schedules.

Angelicknight wrote:

not sure how much of actual secret wars will be covered when you have characters like obnoxio the clown and Teen Hulk which was characters only seen on covers. I imagine it will have more building up to Secret Wars than actual secret Wars itself but who knows?

Pretty much as you say - covering the build up, rather than the event itself.

skippcomet wrote:

When the solicits came out, I came away with an impression that it would be kind of a hodgepodge of entries tangentially related to the two 80s Secret Wars minis, the major actors in this year's Secret Wars (and I really wasn't expecting any "update" entries, let alone of characters from Earth-1610, as it's been apparently the policy to keep characters from the Ultimate Universe and Supreme Power VERY separate from the rest of the handbooks, or at least that's the impression that's been created), and something of a spiritual successor to the 2005 Alternate Universes Handbook, covering new and previously uncovered AUs and characters from them.

Yes, we used to keep Ultimate (and Supreme Power to a slightly lesser extent) separate - but that was when Marvel was insisting that never the twain would meet. That's changed and then some.

Angelicknight wrote:

I will add a few to my previous list maybe get the guessing starting again

zuckyd1 wrote:

As Zsaji's entry might have made clear, it's not canon, or at least suspect. I'm sure Deadpool thinks it all really happened, but he's nuts, so we can't take his belief as gospel.

skippcomet wrote:

Quick question: some entries appear to be listed as names, i.e., Firstname Lastname, but it looks like they're listed in alphabetical order by first name instead of last name. Example: Old Man Logan is apparently listed by the O in Old and not the L in Logan. Is this intentional?

Yes - Old Man Logan was virtually the guy's codename.

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

He's a fun entry. He nearly got cut though, as we already had Miles Morales and Spider-verse in there to represent the Spider-Man side of Marvel.

Sidney Osinga wrote:

Just a few thoughts about what I've seen so far:

I have noticed a number of typos in the profiles, moreso than what I've seen in the past. I wonder if there's a reason for that. (For example: Fearsone Four " It was greatly troubled by this. It was In Genosha..." Ghost Rider "...Blackheart, who tempted her Nicaraguan sins she had been searching for.")

Those are quite frustrating because they were fine in the proofs we worked from - something seems to have gone awry after our final proofchecking. Cutting and pasting what I think is the relevant passage from the proofs, I think the Fearsome Four should read
"Doom’s quartet decimated that realm’s native population and he announced his plan to the others while there, but It was troubled that Doom had not only lied about researching a cure for his disfigurement, but instead intended to enhance it. In Genosha, although suspecting treachery, Magneto and Quicksilver (Pietro Magnus) accepted Doom’s invitation to inspect the dimension with his team, traveling there through a portable EDT."

while the Ghost Rider passage should be
"Blackheart, who tempted her with the Nicaraguan souls she had been searching for."

Melou wrote:

[img]file:///C:\Users\Andy\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image001.png[/img]
Pretty great handbook. Just not fan of the many "or an alternate counterpart" each time a character is dragged into the Battleworld. That's a just a trivia point, but I like clear stuff and I think of the handbook a clarification mean too...

Given we were discussing a storyline in progress, we couldn't make rulings about whether characters were the same individual or a similar looking counterpart, unless the story itself had already made that clear.

Stuart V wrote:

He's a fun entry. He nearly got cut though, as we already had Miles Morales and Spider-verse in there to represent the Spider-Man side of Marvel.

Glad he (Spider-Man India) made it in. I've always liked the character because he has some unique aspects to him while still being recognizably a Peter Parker counterpart. I thought it was a pretty good attempt at adapting the character for a new audience.

JusticeGMH
11-04-2015, 08:45 PM
Thanks for the background, Stuart. Helps keep things clear and is just interesting to Handbook nerds. And thanks for everyone's hard work on the book...so nice to have a handbook in my hands (and on my iPad) again.

zuckyd1
11-09-2015, 03:37 PM
So the Secret Wars handbook wound up selling almost twice as many copies as the Avengers Now handbook (22.7K vs. 12.5K).
The Iron Man MCU handbook sold 12.5K.

Andy E. Nystrom
11-09-2015, 06:38 PM

zuckyd1 wrote:

So the Secret Wars handbook wound up selling almost twice as many copies as the Avengers Now handbook (22.7K vs. 12.5K).
The Iron Man MCU handbook sold 12.5K.

Hmm, I'm torn on this news. On the one hand it's one of the more fun Handbooks so I'm glad it did well. Plus I'm glad that the better format won out by a considerable margin, suggesting there's still live in it as long as it's tie to a major event. On the flip side I want the MCU books to go on at least to Agents of SHIELD. I *really* want an AoS Guidebook. After a shaky start the show has turned into something amazing and the characters deserve their due.

vanhornluke
11-09-2015, 07:11 PM

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

Hmm, I'm torn on this news. On the one hand it's one of the more fun Handbooks so I'm glad it did well. Plus I'm glad that the better format won out by a considerable margin, suggesting there's still live in it as long as it's tie to a major event. On the flip side I want the MCU books to go on at least to Agents of SHIELD. I *really* want an AoS Guidebook. After a shaky start the show has turned into something amazing and the characters deserve their due.

Yeah, I'm also really looking forward to guidebooks for the various Netflix series.

zuckyd1
11-09-2015, 07:45 PM
I suspect the Iron Man sales figures won't be seen as all that disappointing, considering that it's a tie in to a movie from 2008 and thus a lot of the information is 7 years out of date.

Eduardo M.
11-10-2015, 03:14 PM
Are there any plans for a handbook once Secret Wars is done? Given all the changes going on it seems like we'll need one.

vanhornluke
11-10-2015, 03:24 PM

Eduardo M. wrote:

Are there any plans for a handbook once Secret Wars is done? Given all the changes going on it seems like we'll need one.

Secret Wars gave us a romance comic, which is just the latest in a long history of romance comics (most of which are 616). We're overdue for a handbook covering all these characters. :-)

My photostream (over 7.5 million photos!)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24917258@N05/

Board footera