Who Watches the Watchers - Forum for the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe & Similar Works 20 YEARS! 2004-2024

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/31/2020 5:42 am  #121

Re: General Comics Trivia

Continuing the animal theme, the next quiz is devoted to Captain Carrot and His Amazing Zoo Crew.
1. Where did the Zoo Crew first appear, albeit most of them in cameo?
2. How specifically did Captain Carrot’s powers work differently than those of his teammates?
3. What is the full real name of Captain Carrot?
4. What is the real name of Rubberduck and who is he based on?
5. What is the real name of Yankee Poodle and who is she based on?
6. Who was the first super-villain that the Zoo Crew faced?
7. Who was the first human to team with the Zoo Crew?
8. Who was the second human to team with the Zoo Crew?
9. What two Earth designations have been given to the Zoo Crew's world?
10. Which other animal team did the Zoo Crew team with and what is their Earth designation?
11. Who is the team’s most recent member?
12. What was the first mini-series devoted to the team?
13. What was the second mini-series devoted to the team?
14. What was the entire 1980s run, including the first mini-series collected as?
15. What member of the team is related to another superhero?
16. In the first Zoo Crew mini-series, who called it a “guarded pleasure” to meet another character?
17. What is the name of the Zoo Crew’s headquarters?
18. The ending to their second mini-series was modified to shoehorn them into which crossover (that they barely appeared in)?
19. Which artist drew their earliest adventures and their most recent mini-series?
20. One story was an homage to which movie?

My photostream (over 7.5 million photos!)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24917258@N05/

7/31/2020 11:05 am  #122

18. Final Crisis.  God, I hated that story.

7/31/2020 5:51 pm  #123

skippcomet wrote:

18. Final Crisis.  God, I hated that story.

Correct, and I would have to agree it was pretty terrible, and probably rushed. The Zoo Crew bit is a good case in point: The Captain Carrot mini had to be wrapped up in a certain way to allow then to be used in Final Crisis, but it's clear from how little they were used that there was a charge of plans once things were already in play. Had there been the realization sooner that they didn't really fit into the story, the Captain Carrot mini could have had a better ending, and you could have tightened up Final Crisis by leaving such extraneous stuff out entirely.

8/05/2020 2:45 am  #124

Loki wrote:

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

6. Who were the most prominent members of the Junior Woodchucks, i.e. the ones who had their own title?

Huey, Dewey and Louie, Donald's nephews. But a counter question - can you name the fourth nephew, who appeared intermittently until a story finally confirmed him in canon (even if later ones try to ignore that)?

Bump. I'll give this one another 24 hours or so.

8/06/2020 5:15 am  #125

Calling a day on the following. All but one question still on the board.
2. How specifically did Captain Carrot’s powers work differently than those of his teammates? [His original teammates I mean]
10. Which other animal team did the Zoo Crew team with and what is their Earth designation?
14. What was the entire 1980s run, including the first mini-series collected as?
16. In the first Zoo Crew mini-series, who called it a “guarded pleasure” to meet another character?
19. Which artist drew their earliest adventures and their most recent mini-series?

8/06/2020 10:22 am  #126

Loki wrote:

Loki wrote:

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

6. Who were the most prominent members of the Junior Woodchucks, i.e. the ones who had their own title?

Huey, Dewey and Louie, Donald's nephews. But a counter question - can you name the fourth nephew, who appeared intermittently until a story finally confirmed him in canon (even if later ones try to ignore that)?

Bump. I'll give this one another 24 hours or so.

The fourth nephew is Phooey. He originated because artists would occasionally mistakenly draw in a fourth duck among the nephews in instances where that fourth young duck could not be explained away as being (for example) just a pal of the known trio. Since he was a mistake, people began jokingly referring to him as Phooey - as in "So, Mr. Artist, can you name me the three nephews in the picture you've just drawn"; "Sure. That's Huey, that's Dewey, that's Louie, and that's....oh. Phooey." His first (accidental) appearance was allegedly the 1959 story "Mastering the Matterhorn"; as he accumulated more appearances, artists began adding him deliberately as an in-joke, until the 1999 Danish Disney story "Much Ado About Phooey" provided an explanation for him, confirming that he randomly pops in and out of existence. 

In 2019 the American Disney cartoons finally acknowledged his existence when the Duck Tales episode "Whatever happened to Donald Duck?" name checked him, though he didn't actually appear until the episode "A Nightmare on Killmotor Hill."

8/07/2020 2:16 am  #127

Quick challenge - what's unusual about this Marvel UK cover?

8/07/2020 5:55 am  #128

Here are the answers for the previous round of questions. Next round will be an easier challenge hopefully.

The preview in New Teen Titans #16; most of the team appeared on the last page.

2. How specifically did Captain Carrot’s powers work differently than those of his teammates? [His original teammates I mean]
The meteorite powered his carrot patch, not him, so he had to consume carrots to gain powers temporarily; for his teammates the powers were permanent.

Roger Rodney Rabbit. Originally called Roger Rabbit, then later more often referred to as Rodney Rabbit apparently to avoid confusion with the other Roger Rabbit. To give a sense of timeline, the other Roger Rabbit first appeared in the novel Who Censored Roger Rabbit in 1981; Captain Carrot appeared in cover date February 1982, so he almost for sure also debuted in 1981; probably the prose version came out first but there's a chance that Captain Carrot barely came out sooner), then the more familiar to the public movie version (based on the novel version but heavily modified) came out in 1988.

Byrd Rentals/actor Burt Reynolds

Rova Barkitt/gossip columnist Rona Barrett

Starro the Conqueror, in the above preview then the first issue of the ongoing.

Superman, same as above

Changeling, in the firnal story of the ongoing

Normally Earth-C; during the time when DC had exactly 52 Earths, around the start of that company's strange obsession with that number, it was re-designated Earth-26.

Just'a Lotta Animals; Earth-C-Minus; IIRC Eahrt-C-Minus was not given a second designation when they reappeared during the 52 Earths era.

American Eagle

Oz-Wonderland War

Captain Carrot and the Final Ark

Showcase Presents: Captain Carrot and His Amazing Zoo Crew

Fastback is the nephew of the Terrific Whatzit from the previous quiz.

Dorothy Gale (to the Red Queen)

The Z-Building (just as Titans Tower is T-shaped, the Z-Building is Z-shaped).

Scott Shaw!

Cannonball Run

8/07/2020 6:43 am  #129

Crossing over with the TV Trivia, this one is devoted to the easier topic of Spider-Man. Questkions refer to 616/Prime Spider-Man unless the question makes it obvious to the contrary.

1. What did Easy Reader claim on the covers of Spidey Super-Stories?

2. What is Spider-Man's middle name?

3. Which character from Spider-Man's first appearance was largely if not completely ignored thereafter until Untold Tales of Spider-Man?

4. Who was Spider-Man's co-star in the earliest issues of  Marvel Team-Up?

5. Who was the first super-villain to face Spider-Man, as opposed to a garden variety criminal, regardless of impact on his life? I don't think there's been any retcons here, but if so, ignore them.

6.Which supporting cast member was murdered in Spider-Man vs. Wolverine?

7. What supporting cast member is it heavily implied that Spider-Man accidentally killed, albeit with very good intentions?

8. Which superhero was a recurring ally in early issues of Peter Parker, the Spectacular Spider-Man?

9. Which member of the X-Men did "Ultimate" Spider-Man date?

10. For a time Spider-Man had a mutual dislike of this member of the Avengers (the latter was already a member of the Avengers upon first encountering Spider-Man)

11. Around the same that the 616 version married Mary Jane, which other version did the same? (description okay; no need to hunt down the Earth number; not counting the real world publicity stunt)

12. In Giant Size Super Heroes #1, Spider-Man shared an adventure with someone else with their own title, but didn't actually encounter them. Who?

13. Who did Spider-Man stop Scourge from killing?

14. One issue of Marvel Tales had dialogue changed to have Aunt May express an interest in which then more recent series?

15. Which super-villain had a role in Spider-Man's parents' death?

16. While we may never know exactly why Steve Ditko left Spider-Man, which common urban legend about his leaving has been debunked?

17. Who was Spider-Man's foe in Web of Spider-Man #1?

18. While never confirmed, what is likely the Burglar's last name?

19. Where did Spider-Man encounter the Chief Examiner (exact issue)?

20. Which drink mix character teamed with Spider-Man (possibly not 616)?         

8/07/2020 7:31 am  #130

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

2. What is Spider-Man's middle name?

Benjamin. 

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

3. Which character from Spider-Man's first appearance was largely if not completely ignored thereafter until Untold Tales of Spider-Man?

Sally Avril, aka Bluebird

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

4. Who was Spider-Man's co-star in the earliest issues of  Marvel Team-Up?

Human Torch.

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

6.Which supporting cast member was murdered in Spider-Man vs. Wolverine?

Ned Leeds, by the Foreigner's men.

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

7. What supporting cast member is it heavily implied that Spider-Man accidentally killed, albeit with very good intentions?

Gwen Stacy.

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

8. Which superhero was a recurring ally in early issues of Peter Parker, the Spectacular Spider-Man?

White Tiger.

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

9. Which member of the X-Men did "Ultimate" Spider-Man date?

Kitty Pryde

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

11. Around the same that the 616 version married Mary Jane, which other version did the same? (description okay; no need to hunt down the Earth number; not counting the real world publicity stunt)

Newspaper Strip Spidey.

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

12. In Giant Size Super Heroes #1, Spider-Man shared an adventure with someone else with their own title, but didn't actually encounter them. Who?

Doc Savage.

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

15. Which super-villain had a role in Spider-Man's parents' death?

Communist Red Skull Albert Malik. Though at the time of publication he was believed to be just regular Nazi Red Skull.

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

18. While never confirmed, what is likely the Burglar's last name?

Carradine, and no, it's not likely that it's his last name. While we've never learned his surname, Peter Parker doubtless would know it, and yet he was surprised to learn that Jessica Carradine was the Burglar's daughter. I'd lay better odds that his daughter changed her surname, and the Burglar is Costas, like his apparent nephew.

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

19. Where did Spider-Man encounter the Chief Examiner (exact issue)?

Questprobe#2

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

20. Which drink mix character teamed with Spider-Man (possibly not 616)?         

Quik Bunny.

8/07/2020 7:38 am  #131

Most of those are correct (thx for the clarification regarding the Burglar). However, 12 is Incorrect.

With 7, although the Goblin knocked her off the bridge, a courtroom jury would likely rule that when Spider-Man intervened, he became the murderer when he shot a webline at her and her neck snapped.

8/07/2020 7:43 am  #132

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

5. Who was the first super-villain to face Spider-Man, as opposed to a garden variety criminal, regardless of impact on his life? I don't think there's been any retcons here, but if so, ignore them.
10. For a time Spider-Man had a mutual dislike of this member of the Avengers (the latter was already a member of the Avengers upon first encountering Spider-Man)
17. Who was Spider-Man's foe in Web of Spider-Man #1?

5. Chameleon
10. Wasp
17. the Symbiote?

8/07/2020 7:45 am  #133

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

Most of those are correct (thx for the clarification regarding the Burglar). However, 12 is Incorrect.

Feh. Doc is in #3. Dracula was in #1. Trouble is, he did encounter Spider-Man, albeit very briefly and when Spidey was out of costume. 

8/07/2020 7:51 am  #134

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

11a. Where did the "real world" wedding take place, and who officiated?

8/07/2020 8:20 am  #135

5, 10, 17 are correct. Correct about the revised #12. I did wonder about them meeting briefly but was too sleepy to pull out my Essential Tomb of Dracula.

11a. I can't recall where, but I think it was a baseball field (Yankees?) with Stan officiating

8/08/2020 10:52 am  #136

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

11a. I can't recall where, but I think it was a baseball field (Yankees?) with Stan officiating

It was the Mets' Shea Stadium. And of course it was Stan officiating lol.

8/10/2020 9:02 am  #137

Loki wrote:

I'll give this until tomorrow to see if anyone wants to hazard a guess. If no one gets it by then, I'll reveal the answer.

8/10/2020 5:59 pm  #138

I suspect this isn't the answer, but it's interesting that it says Avengers Starring Shang-Chi, and Shang-Chi later did join the Avengers. And that one green suit kind of resembles Rogue's first costume coincidentally.

8/11/2020 1:34 am  #139

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

I suspect this isn't the answer, but it's interesting that it says Avengers Starring Shang-Chi, and Shang-Chi later did join the Avengers. And that one green suit kind of resembles Rogue's first costume coincidentally.

Nope, and though the suit was recolored from the original version for this cover, nope, that's not what I was looking for. Answer later today.

8/11/2020 8:16 am  #140

Loki wrote:

Okay, original cover to compare with. As you can see, the colors of his opponents' outfits has changed, and the dialogue was tweaked. There's something else they altered, but I can't quite put my finger on it.

8/13/2020 7:01 am  #141

Calling a day on the following:
14. One issue of Marvel Tales had dialogue changed to have Aunt May express an interest in which then more recent series?
16. While we may never know exactly why Steve Ditko left Spider-Man, which common urban legend about his leaving has been debunked?

8/14/2020 6:17 am  #142

Here are the rest:
This comic is easy to read.

Flash Thompson, who was being held without bail for the Hobgoblin crimes.

Dukes of Hazzard

Some people believe he didn't like that the Green Goblin was going to be an established character. He actually liked that idea and may have even suggested it.

8/14/2020 6:29 am  #143

The questions below relate to the Fawcett/DC Captain Marvel and his family/foes. All questions are pre-New 52 so any answer that results in the Captain himself being called Shazam will be incorrect. Questions are Pre-Crisis unless the wording says otherwise.

1. Aside from being that word that transforms Billy Batson into Captain Marvel, Shazam is the name of who?
2. What are the real names of the Lieutenant Marvel (include nicknames)?
3. What ailment did Dudley claim prevented him from using his (non-existent) powers and under what code name?
4. What mystical location was the most frequently visited by Captain Marvel?
5. What was Mary Marvel’s real name prior to learning she was Billy’s sister?
6. How many stories did Black Adam appear in the Fawcett era (full stories, not passing references if any)?
7. Although retconned away less than a decade later, which mini-series initially detailed the origin of the Post-Crisis Captain Marvel?
8. Which graphic novel erased the continuity of the previous question?
9. What was the final appearance of the Pre-Crisis Captain Marvel (as active participant; ignore any quick glimpses in Hypertime or similar things that may have occurred since)?
10. What is Dr. Sivana’s full name?
11. Which storyline, despite being collected in the past, had a new collection cancelled recently due to racist elements?
12. Which artist is most associated with the Fawcett era Captain Marvel?
13. Which Captain Marvel ally couldn’t identify himself without transforming and how was that addressed in the 1990s series?
14. Which villain’s lawyer refused to defend him after hearing Captain Marvel’s testimony?
15. Which Earth-1 villain did Captain Marvel face in the 1970s Shazam! comic series?
16. Pre-Crisis, what Earth was Captain Marvel on?
17. Name all of Sivana’s offspring Pre-Crisis.
18. Who is Captain Marvel’s feline friend?
19. SHAZAM is also an acronym for people (often deities) who provide/enhance traits in the Marvel Family and a few others such as Black Adam and Marvel Bunny, though different people are used for different Marvels.  For Captain Marvel (and I think also the Lieutenant Marvels), who is the S and what trait do they provide/enhance?
20. What was Captain Marvel’s first appearance?

8/14/2020 4:24 pm  #144

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

1. Aside from being that word that transforms Billy Batson into Captain Marvel, Shazam is the name of who?
7. Although retconned away less than a decade later, which mini-series initially detailed the origin of the Post-Crisis Captain Marvel?
11. Which storyline, despite being collected in the past, had a new collection cancelled recently due to racist elements?
12. Which artist is most associated with the Fawcett era Captain Marvel?
16. Pre-Crisis, what Earth was Captain Marvel on?
19. SHAZAM is also an acronym for people (often deities) who provide/enhance traits in the Marvel Family and a few others such as Black Adam and Marvel Bunny, though different people are used for different Marvels.  For Captain Marvel (and I think also the Lieutenant Marvels), who is the S and what trait do they provide/enhance?

1. the wizard who gave him his powers?
7. Power of Shazam?
11. Dr. Mind saga?
12. C. C. Beck
16. Earth-S?
19. Solomon/wisdom?
20. Whiz Comics #1 (or, technically, Flash Comics #1)

Last edited by zuckyd1 (8/14/2020 4:48 pm)

8/14/2020 10:26 pm  #145

1. Correct
7. Incorrect
11. Close enough since I know what you are getting at: The Monster Society of Evil storyline featuring Mr. Mind.
12. Correct
16. Correct
19. Correct. Trick question there since Solomon wasn't a deity, but he is indeed the S
20. I can't quite give you that one. There was no Whiz Comics #1, and Fawcett's ashcan Flash Comics #1, not to be confused with All-American's Flash Comics #1, was strictly speaking the first appearance of Captain Thunder rather than Captain Marvel. though their origins and looks are identical. Flash Comics #1 was also limited to only eight copies (though other copies exist under a different name, which I'll save for a later quiz). So another comic is generally considered the true first appearance of Captain Marvel.

8/20/2020 3:17 am  #146

Holey Moley, a lot of the questions are still on the board. Sorry, this was suppose to have been a relatively easy quiz, with a few touch questions thrown in. Calling a day on the following (see initial post for caveats):

2. What are the real names of the Lieutenant Marvel (include nicknames)?
3. What ailment did Dudley claim prevented him from using his (non-existent) powers and under what code name?
4. What mystical location was the most frequently visited by Captain Marvel?
5. What was Mary Marvel’s real name prior to learning she was Billy’s sister?
6. How many stories did Black Adam appear in the Fawcett era (full stories, not passing references if any)?
9. What was the final appearance of the Pre-Crisis Captain Marvel (as active participant; ignore any quick glimpses in Hypertime or similar things that may have occurred since)?
10. What is Dr. Sivana’s full name?
13. Which Captain Marvel ally couldn’t identify himself without transforming and how was that addressed in the 1990s series?
14. Which villain’s lawyer refused to defend him after hearing Captain Marvel’s testimony?
15. Which Earth-1 villain did Captain Marvel face in the 1970s Shazam! comic series?
18. Who is Captain Marvel’s feline friend?

8/20/2020 7:35 am  #147

2) All were Billy Batson Tall Marvel, Fat Marvel and Hill or Hill Billy Marvel.
4) Rock of Eternity or Train/Subwaty Tunnel.
5) Mary Bromfield
10) Dr. Thaddeus Bodog Sivana
13 Freedy Freeman/Captain Marvel, Jr who shortened his name to CM3.
18) Tawky Tawny

8/20/2020 8:15 am  #148

Those are correct. More:
For #1 I believe their nicknames were also used with their real names, e.g. Tall Billy Batson
For #4 I was specifically thinking of the Rock. Sometimes they fly to the Rock directly without going through the tunnel system, e.g. when they are using it to time travel.
13. Freddy transforms by saying "Captain Marvel". In the 1990s run he never used Captain Marvel Jr. as a code name. The CM3 refers to Billy and Mary both using the Captain Marvel code name at the time, making him the third Captain Marvel.
18. His name is sometimes hyphenated, and he is also called Mr. Tawny or Mr. Tawky Tawny; he is specifically a tiger.

8/21/2020 6:12 am  #149

Shazambago; Uncle Marvel

One; he died in his first appearance.

Shazam! The New Beginning

Power of Shazam! So that was the name of the graphic novel and subsequent ongoing series, not the limited series

Secret Origins #3; for a time Secret Origins occasionally covered the origins of Golden Age characters who had been erased from existence by the Crisis

Mister Mind; this case should have actually been tied up in courts for years as Mr. Mind is an extra-terrestrial and not a human. Furthermore, his lawyer refusing to defend him based on testimony from a witness should have gotten the lawyer charged with contempt of court, and potentially a mistrial could have been declared.

Lex Luthor

Beautia, Magnificus, Sivana Jr., Georgia; he may be one off comics' creepiest looking villains but evidently he has something going for him.

Here's why I couldn't accept the previous answer: the first widespread published appearance of Captain Marvel, as opposed to appearances as Captain Thunder in "ashcan" comics sent to a very limited audience was Whiz Comics #2 not 1. So the ashcans apparently constituted the first issue even though only a few people saw them, and even though names were changed for the mass-distributed series, making Whiz Comics #2 where the general public was concerned the first issue.

8/21/2020 7:01 am  #150

This quiz is devoted to Doctor Doom. Due to the nature of the character, some of these questions attributed to him may be unrevealed appearances of a Doombot.
1. For what series was Doctor Doom the lead character in some stories?
2. Who was most often his co-star in Super-Villain Team-Up?
3. Which miniature town did Doctor Doom once trap the Fantastic Four in?
4. Which villain was it for a time speculated that Doom might either be related to or actually be?
5. Which character may or may not be Doctor Doom in the future?
6. According to a Secret Wars toy ad, what did Doctor Doom want to make the Earth? I’ll count the answer right even if you get the number of o’s wrong.
7. Who was the first character with the Power Cosmic to have their power stolen by Doctor Doom?
8. Whose power did Doctor Doom steal during the first Secret Wars?
9. Which superhero went after Doctor Doom for defaulting on a payment?
10. A long time goal of Doctor Doom was to rescue his mother from where?
11. Doctor Doom briefly assumed which hero’s mantle (not including mind transfers)?
12. Doctor Doom was for a time a member of which team on the side of good?
13. Doctor Doom teamed with which DC villain in the second Spider-Man/Superman crossover?
14. Which alien race gave him the ability to mind transfer?
15.  Doctor Doom’s country of Latveria, on the map of the Marvel Atlas can be found where part of which country is in the real world?
16. Other than Doctor Doom’s robots, who believed himself to be Doctor Doom for a time?
17. One of Doctor Doom’s robots worked with whom against the X-Men?
18. What has been heavily implied to be the extent of the damage to his face due to the university explosion he blames Reed Richards for?
19. The Fantastic Four’s first encounter with Doctor Doom connected the Thing to whose legend?
20. Which organization went after Doctor Doom for defaulting on a payment, though apparently in this instance it was not intentional on Doom’s part?
EDIT: Overlooked a question I really wanted to ask:
21. Whose "offspring" once infested Doctor Doom's armour?

Last edited by Andy E. Nystrom (8/21/2020 11:29 am)

Board footera