Who Watches the Watchers - Forum for the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe & Similar Works 20 YEARS! 2004-2024

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/21/2021 9:25 am  #1

Changes Made in Reprints

I thought it might be interesting to look at cases when things were changed in some manner when I title got reprinted. Some of the changes will be pretty minor but others can be pretty eye opening.

Colour is a special case. Since colour to B&W is pretty common, I don't think we need to list all titles, but at the bottom of the list I'll maintain a broad list of such material. In terms of recolouring, skip if the basic colour scheme is the same but just "pops" more, but okay to list of there are substantial differences in the colours.

Amazing Adventures (third series), Splits original issues of X-Men into two (so each issue of X-Men is split in two) with new splash pages for the second halves.
Crisis on Infinite Earths hc/tpb: Instead of the Earth-2 Green Arrow defeating the Shaggy Man in #10, it's now Speedy
Daughters of the Dragon #1 censors nudity from Deadly Hands of Kung Fu
Marvel Tales #159: In its reprint from Amazing Spider-Man #21, May is watching Dukes of Hazzard instead of Beverly Hillbillies
Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe tpb: changes from Deluxe Edition discussed here: https://whowatchesthewatchers.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=355
Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe A-Z hardcovers: many of the 2004-2009 profiles are rewritten to be essentially new. but others are mainly just slightly altered versions. I've consolidated such changes here:
https://whowatchesthewatchers.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=376
Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe A-Z softcovers 1-5: Aside from a new 16-page Appendix section, Sidney has covered various additional changes in the various softcover threads and RVcousin also covers such changes in a single thread: https://whowatchesthewatchers.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=356
Squadron Supreme Omnibus: at least the original Omnibus and likely the trade has different colour choices than the original issues, more in backgounds than on characters themselves

Colour to B&W:
[subject name]: from the 30s (or 40s) to the 70s (or 80s): aside from glossy sections, all material
Essential..; all titles not originally B&W
Showcase Presents; all titles not originally B&W

My photostream (over 7.5 million photos!)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24917258@N05/

3/21/2021 12:09 pm  #2

Re: Changes Made in Reprints

A few pre-FF anthology stories were integrated into 616 when they were reprinted. In one story a scientist's name was changed to Henry Pym. And in at least two stories S.H.I.E.L.D. agents was added to the law enforcement personnel.

3/21/2021 12:10 pm  #3

There's a ton of such edits made for British reprints of US comics, including (but not limited to) Marvel UK titles. 

The single most common would of course be changing from color to black and white, but sometimes it was more complex - the UK publications apparently got black and white art to work from, and on the occasions it did get colored, they clearly didn't bother to tell the UK colorists what the originals looked like. Hence you got gems like this:

and this

and this

3/21/2021 12:10 pm  #4

There were a few Savage Sword of Conan stories that were reprinted in Conan the Barbarian colorized and sometimes censored.

3/21/2021 12:12 pm  #5

The UK title Future Tense #12 and 13 reprinted Annie Mae: A Love Story from Marvel Preview#23, but left out the two page fumetti style introduction which included the title, and the one page fumetti conclusion, and added shadows and hair to cover over originally bare female nipples.

3/21/2021 12:13 pm  #6

Sometimes when issues are reprinted in a collection some new pages are added. Daredevil: Fall from Grace is one example.

3/21/2021 12:27 pm  #7

Pep #303 (1975)

reprinted in Jughead and Archie Double Digest #6 (2014)

3/21/2021 12:32 pm  #8

New panels and reworded dialogue were added to Thor #169 when it was reprinted in Super-Villain Classics #1 in order to establish that Galan wasn't just from the ancient past but from the previous universe.

3/21/2021 12:49 pm  #9

Killraven reprinted as Apeslayer.

12/18/2022 12:11 am  #10

zuckyd1 wrote:

Sometimes when issues are reprinted in a collection some new pages are added. Daredevil: Fall from Grace is one example.

Do you have other examples like this one? Of reprints with new pages added? Thanks

12/18/2022 1:01 pm  #11

mal32 wrote:

zuckyd1 wrote:

Do you have other examples like this one? Of reprints with new pages added? Thanks

I see now, sorry, that you talked about this also in the following thread:Additions and Retcons from Reprints/Letter Pages or Outside Sources... in the "Raw Data on Official Marvel Works" section.
I think we can fuse them together and add a list of the TPB comics with new pages or stuff, I am working about it and soon I will add a list here to be improved from you people, thanks

Last edited by mal32 (12/18/2022 1:01 pm)

12/24/2022 5:52 am  #12

mal32 wrote:

mal32 wrote:

zuckyd1 wrote:

I see now, sorry, that you talked about this also in the following thread:Additions and Retcons from Reprints/Letter Pages or Outside Sources... in the "Raw Data on Official Marvel Works" section.
I think we can fuse them together and add a list of the TPB comics with new pages or stuff, I am working about it and soon I will add a list here to be improved from you people, thanks

It wouldn't be a bad idea to have some kind of combined thread. Heck, it'd be a useful resource to be able to take some of the info posted in various threads tracking various things we find interesting, and put them somewhere we can keep track of it all.

Additional change/new bit in reprints: The Korvac Saga, where some (but not all) of the collected volumes include a new page post-script to the story. 

Board footera