Who Watches the Watchers - Forum for the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe & Similar Works 20 YEARS! 2004-2024

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/06/2020 6:16 am  #1

Secret Invasion: Skrulls!

Historical text from Comixfan

Stuart V

Jul 26, 2008, 08:04 pm

Not strictly a handbook, but somewhat related, this newly released title tells you all you need to know about pretty much every prior encounter mankind and Skrulls have had, and covers virtually every individual Skrull who was running around the Marvel universe prior to the Secret Invasion.

slevin87

Aug 2, 2008, 08:04 pm

It was great. I had actually thought a Skrull-related handbook might be pretty cool. The entry for Kholdsor was a hoot (I'm sure you can guess why). [img]file:///E:/To%20Move%20to%20External%20Hard%20Drive/MU/Secret%20Invasion%20%20Skrulls%21_files/wink.gif[/img]

Andy E. Nystrom

Aug 5, 2008, 08:48 pm

It was a pretty fun issue overall.

Two nitpicks: While the nature of the beast couldn't really allow Skippi to get an entry, it would have been nice to see a reference to the second Hercules mini in the back; conversely while the Dire Wraiths deserved an entry I wouldn't have included every appearance by them in the back section (though certainly key issues of Rom such as #50 deserve to be there).

The other nitpick is that of consistency: the narrator's opinions on some characters (Dorrek VII, Kl'rt) change depending on who's writing a particular entry, and while the analysis is always by the narrator, the background blurb seems to be the narrator for some entries but not others.

DrGoodwrench

Sep 4, 2008, 12:41 pm

My LCS failed to get this for me but I finally managed to pick it up last week. It's generally excellent, but the Wassily Kurov Imposter part has a few mistakes.

Firstly, Slovenia is spelt two different ways (Slovenia and Slovinia) in the text. Secondly, and to my mind this is a bigger mistake, the location of Slovenia is wrong. Slovenia is not a Baltic nation. Also, the text says that Slovenia has received little attention partly because of events in the Balkans, which is weird given Slovenia's location and former membership of Yugoslavia.

EDIT: Obviously, all this could be a result of poor Skrull intelligence. Can I have a no-prize?

fesak

Sep 26, 2008, 10:59 am

DrGoodwrench wrote:

Firstly, Slovenia is spelt two different ways (Slovenia and Slovinia) in the text. Secondly, and to my mind this is a bigger mistake, the location of Slovenia is wrong. Slovenia is not a Baltic nation. Also, the text says that Slovenia has received little attention partly because of events in the Balkans, which is weird given Slovenia's location and former membership of Yugoslavia.

The same mistakes was in the Marvel Atlas, but i was told by the writers it's supposed to be like that, so apparently Slovenia is a former Soviet state in Earth-616

DrGoodwrench

Sep 26, 2008, 01:22 pm 

fesak wrote:

The same mistakes was in the Marvel Atlas, but i was told by the writers it's supposed to be like that, so apparently Slovenia is a former Soviet state in Earth-616

I wonder if they've lost any Slovene readers because of this. I suppose it's a good thing Slovenia is so small. Maybe they just read the Ultimate stuff.

My photostream (over 7.5 million photos!)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24917258@N05/

Board footera