Who Watches the Watchers - Forum for the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe & Similar Works 20 YEARS! 2004-2024

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/03/2023 10:04 am  #1

Manimal

MANIMAL

Identity/Class: Human with the ability to transform into animals

Group Membership: None

Affiliations: Ty Earl, Brooke McKenzie, Lt. Rivera

Enemies: Various criminals and villains

Known Relatives: Sir Johnathan Chase (father, deceased)

Aliases: None

Base of Operations: Mobile, primarily Los Angeles

First Appearance: Manimal #1 (Marvel Comics, September 1984)

Height: Variable

Weight: Variable

Eyes: Variable

Hair: Brown

Powers/Abilities: Dr. Jonathan Chase has the ability to shapeshift into any animal that he can visualize in his mind. He can transform into birds, fish, insects, reptiles, and mammals, and has demonstrated an impressive range of physical abilities in each form. His transformations are accompanied by a flash of light and a roar. He is also a skilled criminologist and detective, with knowledge of forensic science and combat training.

History: Dr. Jonathan Chase is a renowned criminologist who gained the ability to shapeshift after studying with various shamans and mystics in Africa. Using his newfound powers, he became the vigilante hero known as Manimal, using his animal forms to fight crime and protect the innocent. Alongside his allies Ty Earl and Brooke McKenzie, as well as police Lieutenant Rivera, Manimal tackled various villains and criminal organizations.

Despite his heroic efforts, Manimal remained a mystery to the public, with few people aware of his true identity. He eventually became disillusioned with his life as a vigilante and returned to his work as a criminologist, occasionally using his powers to assist the police in solving cases.

Strength Level: Manimal's strength varies depending on his animal form, with his strongest forms being those of large mammals such as bears, lions, and elephants.

Miscellaneous: Manimal is a character from a short-lived Marvel Comics series of the same name, which ran for eight issues from 1984 to 1985. Despite its brief run, the series gained a cult following and has been referenced in various media over the years. Dr. Jonathan Chase's father, Sir Johnathan Chase, was a wealthy English aristocrat and big game hunter who died in Africa when Jonathan was young.

My photostream (over 7.5 million photos!)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24917258@N05/

3/03/2023 10:07 am  #2

Re: Manimal

Not entirely wrong but short lived series not Marvel comic.

3/05/2023 3:49 am  #3

If I recall correctly, 1984-85 was the year that every single new series that debuted on NBC was cancelled due to low ratings and worse reviews, including the orangutang-led "Mr. Smith" and "The Yellow Rose of Texas."  Or maybe those are the only ones I still remember nearly 40 years later.

3/05/2023 8:17 am  #4

skippcomet wrote:

If I recall correctly, 1984-85 was the year that every single new series that debuted on NBC was cancelled due to low ratings and worse reviews, including the orangutang-led "Mr. Smith" and "The Yellow Rose of Texas."  Or maybe those are the only ones I still remember nearly 40 years later.

Checking The Complete Directory  to Prime Time Network and Cable Shows (9th and I believe final edition), all three shows were 1983-1984 not 1984-1985 (I remember Mr. Smith). But doing with 1983-1984 it appears you are right. The A-Team and Mama's Family were the closest, but they debuted in Jan 1983, making them part of the 1982-1983 season. I also remember Jennifer Slept Here. One other caveat: We Got it Made returned three years later in syndication with new episodes.

Board footera