Who Watches the Watchers - Forum for the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe & Similar Works 20 YEARS! 2004-2024

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/03/2020 1:49 pm  #31

Re: Strange visitor from another canon - You seem strangely familiar

Going through The Official Teen Titans Index series:
Teen Titans #13: Ebenezer Scrounge, Bob Ratchet, Tiny Tom Ratchet, and Jacob Farley are all counterparts of characters from Charles Dickens’ A Christmas Carol (Ebenezer Scrooge Bob Cratchit, Tiny Tim Cratchit, and Jacob Marley, respectively).
Teen Titans #46: Peter McCarthy of the Flyers are based in Paul McCartney of Wings (Laura McCarthy is likely based on Linda McCartney). Ricky and Kathy Woodworker of the Woodworkers are based on Richard and Karen Carpenter of the Carpenters.

My photostream (over 7.5 million photos!)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24917258@N05/

2/08/2020 7:34 am  #32

Strictly speaking this one should go in the book section, but...
In the 1990s Virgin Books were publishing both licensed Doctor Who novels and licensed Judge Dredd novels, and they planned a crossover novel written by Dave Stone, who'd penned books for both series. He wrote the book, Burning Heart, but then Virgin decided (thanks I believe to the poor reception the Judge Dredd movie had received) to drop the crossover aspect; Stone re-wrote the story to have the Doctor encounter "Adjudicator Joseph Craator" rather than "Judge Joseph Dredd". But if there was any doubt who Craator really was, one look at the cover art would dispel it:

2/14/2020 12:14 pm  #33

One that strictly speaking should go in either movies or TV: Wonder Princess, from a 1978 Korean animated movie. The appearance alone should make it clear who she's clearly based on, but when you add in the name and that she transforms into her hero form by twirling around on the spot...

2/23/2020 12:44 pm  #34

Loki wrote:

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

Mantis appeared as Willow in Justice League of America #142 (Hmm, maybe you should make a note of those instances where the analogue and the original share the same creator).

Willow

and Lorelei from Scorpio Rose #2,
which was also written by Steve Englehart, is, of course, Mantis

A Lorelei is also mentioned in Englehart's novel The Long Man, and he has confirmed that it is meant to be the same character. 

2/23/2020 4:21 pm  #35

zuckyd1 wrote:

A Lorelei is also mentioned in Englehart's novel The Long Man, and he has confirmed that it is meant to be the same character. 

"This One gets around quite a bit."

2/24/2020 9:18 am  #36

Following on from the mention of Adjudicator Craator in Doctor Who, there are a few other Judge Dredd/Mega City Judges homages. 
For visual comparison, the actual Judge Dredd:

Justice Peace, who originally debuted in Walt Simonson's Thor run.

The Arbites from Warhammer 40K

The Justicers of Marvel's Earth-58163

Oh, and in case anyone hadn't realized - our most prominent Justicer, Cassandra Bull, gets her first name from Dredd's fellow Judge, Cassandra Anderson.
Judge Elmer Dwedd from the Howard the Duck Holiday Special 

Obviously he's also, in name and speech impediment, Elmer Fudd.
Judge Dreadz from the small press British series Ganjaman (guest written by Dredd co-creator John Wagner)

Probably the best known riff on Dredd however is Robocop, a connection http://www.xi-online.nl/feature/28">confirmed by Paul Verhoeven in interview: "Je weet dat Robocop (1987) natuurlijk heel erg beïnvloed is door de Engelse comic Judge Dredd, dat vind ik helemaal geen probleem," (You know that Robocop (1987) is of course very much influenced by the English comic Judge Dredd, I find that no problem at all,) To be fair on Robocop, Dredd's not the only influence that formed him - he's also part Rom, and allegedly part Space Sheriff Gavan.

2/24/2020 9:45 am  #37

The Warhammer 40K image is showing up as lots of lines of code on my end.

2/24/2020 11:48 am  #38

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

The Warhammer 40K image is showing up as lots of lines of code on my end.

Hopefully fixed now.

9/22/2020 11:13 am  #39

British sitcom Steptoe and Son ran eight series (what Americans call seasons, we Brits call series), from 1962-1965 and then 1970-1974.

It starred Wilfrid Brambell and Harry H. Corbett, who played father and son rag-and-bone men (junkyard owners being the closest American equivalent) Albert and Harold Steptoe.

The US adapted the series into the similarly successful Sanford and Son.

But there's also been a few nods in the comics to Steptoe and Son. In Doctor Who Magazine's strip Junk-Yard Demon, Albert and Harold Steptoe became space junkyard owners Halbert Jetsam and Arrold Flotsam:

and in the comic Jack Staff we met Albert and Harold Bramble, vampire hunters:

9/29/2020 8:37 am  #40

The mention of Dragnet in the TV section's quiz reminded me of this one. So you've got Joe Friday from Dragnet
and then in 2000AD's hilarious one-off story Chrono-Cops, written by Alan Moore, you've got this guy:

12/29/2020 5:52 am  #41

DC Thomson's Dandy#2502, and the character Smasher visits a haunted house which is clearly IPC's Scream Inn. I'll discuss this in more detail in the Omniverse thread.

1/22/2021 3:22 pm  #42

DC's Star Trek#2 (1989), and a member of the Federation counsel who thinks the Klingons are barbarians looks somewhat familiar.
Artist James Fry has confirmed that isn't just any Kryptonian - it's Jor-El.

1/22/2021 5:38 pm  #43

No mention of Fastforward from Quasar? http://www.marvunapp.com/Appendix/fastforw.htm

2/28/2021 7:39 am  #44

Sidney Osinga wrote:

No mention of Fastforward from Quasar? http://www.marvunapp.com/Appendix/fastforw.htm

Yes, he'd fall under this category.

Board footera