Who Watches the Watchers - Forum for the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe & Similar Works 20 YEARS! 2004-2024

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/15/2021 12:18 pm  #31

Re: Gotta Catch 'em All Challenge #32 Marvel Animated Superheroes 1 of 3

125. She-Hulk, FF: World's Greatest Heroes

6/15/2021 12:20 pm  #32

118. Scarlet Witch, X-Men: The Animated Series

6/15/2021 12:22 pm  #33

120. Madame Web, Spider-Man: The Animated Series

6/15/2021 12:23 pm  #34

143. Beta Ray Bill, Yostverse

6/15/2021 12:25 pm  #35

148. Zabu, Super Hero Squad

6/15/2021 12:27 pm  #36

155. Hogun, Hulk and the Agents of S.M.A.S.H.

6/15/2021 12:29 pm  #37

181. Bishop, X-Men: The Animated Series—Reality-121193

6/15/2021 12:31 pm  #38

176. Sunfire, Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends

6/15/2021 12:32 pm  #39

292. Pip the Troll, Silver Surfer: The Animated Series

6/15/2021 12:33 pm  #40

207. Misty Knight, Super Hero Squad

6/15/2021 12:34 pm  #41

225. Ka-Zar, Super Hero Squad

6/15/2021 12:36 pm  #42

200. Darkstar, Ultimate

6/15/2021 4:52 pm  #43

zuckyd1 wrote:

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

11. You can also use Marvel Fandom's Temporary Reality Numbers (TRNs) for cases where an official reality number has not yet been given.

You're risking the ire of Loki there 

About to go through your answers but the reason I like them is that they have a designator to indicate they're fanmade and make no claim about being real. They just help locate characters of a specific reality until they're given a real number.

Last edited by Andy E. Nystrom (6/15/2021 5:44 pm)

My photostream (over 7.5 million photos!)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24917258@N05/

6/15/2021 5:44 pm  #44

All those are correct. List updated.

6/15/2021 10:39 pm  #45

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

zuckyd1 wrote:

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

11. You can also use Marvel Fandom's Temporary Reality Numbers (TRNs) for cases where an official reality number has not yet been given.

You're risking the ire of Loki there 

About to go through your answers but the reason I like them is that they have a designator to indicate they're fanmade and make no claim about being real. They just help locate characters of a specific reality until they're given a real number.

That indicator hasn't stopped licensees from trying to use them in licensed products, probably in part because they assume the fan wiki is Marvel's actual official wiki. 

6/16/2021 4:47 am  #46

Clearly the licensees are clueless and/or unwilling to look up what TRN means.  From their site.

https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/List_of_Current_Temporary_Reality_Numbers
The Temporary Reality Numbers (TRN for short) represent a means designed and used by the Marvel Database to aid in the categorization of alternate universes which have yet to receive an official numeric designation by Marvel. Please take notice that TRNs are entirely unofficial and only serve an utility purpose within this site.

Me again: It also strikes me as unlikely that if it was Marvel's own site, they would state that they don't know the actual number but here is a placeholder number, nor would they want a placeholder number to be used in licensed products. I'm guessing they probably went "I don't know what TRN means but it's probably not important enough to look up".

6/16/2021 6:49 am  #47

Just noticed (working on Villains 1) that in some cases the image that turns up in a keyword search for Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes is actually for the comic tie-in (the comic is the same continuity and some characters who appear in both are probably more prominent in the comic). If they're already in the collage they're grandfathered in unless I have time later to go back and doublecheck every image from that show but from the point I found them I'll make sure it's always the cartoon or not at all. So if such images do turn up, I'm aware of the issue now.

6/16/2021 10:23 am  #48

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

Clearly the licensees are clueless and/or unwilling to look up what TRN means.  From their site.

https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/List_of_Current_Temporary_Reality_Numbers
The Temporary Reality Numbers (TRN for short) represent a means designed and used by the Marvel Database to aid in the categorization of alternate universes which have yet to receive an official numeric designation by Marvel. Please take notice that TRNs are entirely unofficial and only serve an utility purpose within this site.

Me again: It also strikes me as unlikely that if it was Marvel's own site, they would state that they don't know the actual number but here is a placeholder number, nor would they want a placeholder number to be used in licensed products. I'm guessing they probably went "I don't know what TRN means but it's probably not important enough to look up".

Oh, it's undoubtedly laziness or cluelessness on the part of said licensees, but that doesn't obviate the fan wikis responsibility in not making it clear that they are an unofficial site. They do have a disclaimer that they are a fan site - there is a single disclaimer last I checked way down a very long FAQ page where the vast majority of people visiting the site will never stumble across it.

I've had the discussion with moderators there a number of times - I suggest they simply add a clear disclaimer, either on their front page or ideally in the header image they use that appears on every page (the one that says "Marvel Database"), just stating that they are an unofficial fan site unaffiliated with Marvel itself (literally all they need to do to make it appear on every page would be to change the header to "Unofficial Marvel Database"). They keep responding that they don't see the need - "it's already clear we're not official, no one could think otherwise, so there's no need to add any further disclaimers."

I point out that people not only could mistake them for an official site (even now that the site address was changed, by the wiki company rather than them, to include the word fan), but that they have and continue to do so, and that this causes problems - we've had writers and artists working for Marvel who have seen erroneous information on the fan site and then used or nearly used (sometimes we've been in the loop early enough and caught it) said info in comics, and when asked they've outright told us that they assumed it was correct because it was on "Marvel's official wiki" - and in case there's any doubt, when we ask them if they mean the wiki on Marvel.com they say no, and give the address of the unofficial fan wiki. 

And when I say this, I either get tumbleweed or a repeat of "it's already clear we're not official, no one could mistake us for being official, so there's no need to add further disclaimers." Never mind I've pointed out that it's obviously not clear because people have made that mistake and continue to do so. It would be easy for them to add a clearer disclaimer and would be in no way detrimental to their site. Unless of course they actually do want it to be unclear and for people to mistake them for the official site. 

Am I being unfair by suggesting that some over at the fan wiki want to mislead people into thinking they are official? Maybe. And they could prove me wrong in my suspicions so very easily. All they would need to do is add a clearer disclaimer.

6/16/2021 11:16 am  #49

Are there any Fandom/Wikia sites that are official? Just their very nature (editing open to all) would seem to disqualify them.
Even the wiki on Marvel.com itself—and the new character pages that have replaced it—state "Take note, True Believer! This crowd-sourced content has not yet been verified for accuracy by our erudite editors!"

6/16/2021 1:12 pm  #50

265. Darkstar, X-Men: The Animated Series

6/16/2021 1:14 pm  #51

258. Black Knight, Spider-Man & His Amazing Friends

6/16/2021 1:15 pm  #52

257. Destroyer, Spider-Man: The Animated Series

6/16/2021 1:17 pm  #53

274. Thunderer, Spider-Man: The Animated Series