Who Watches the Watchers - Forum for the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe & Similar Works 20 YEARS! 2004-2024

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/05/2020 2:10 pm  #31

Re: The OHOTMU Trivia Game

Here's the ones that no one got:
1. Who had two separate entries in the Spider-Man: Brand New Day under different names?
Menace. At the time she had not yet been revealed to be Lily Hollister so she also appears under the latter.

2. Which issue's cover of the first series was used as the cover for the Essential volume for the first series?
#15. Being the Weapons etc. issue, more major characters could be shown on the front, which was likely one of the reasons.

3. The Appendix in first series #3 accidentally assigned a hero's name to two villains (the same correct code name is used by both villains), What is the hero's name used in error and what is the correct shared villain's name?
Crimebuster was the hero's name but the description refers to the two villains called Crime-Master. An understandable mistake but of course Crimebuster would not exactly have gotten along with either Crime-Master.

4. What was the first time in the Deluxe Edition that two characters with the same code name had back to back entries?
Iron Man; at the time both Stark and Rhodes were active as such.

5. What is interesting about the art for the J. Jonah Jameson and John Jameson entries in the Deluxe Edition?
J. Jonah Jameson was drawn by John Romita, while his son John Jameson was drawn by Romita's son John Romita Jr. So father and son drew father and son for the Handbooks

7. What colour was used for the background of both OHOTMU: Spider-Man 2004 and 2005?
Red

11. Under which alias was James Barnes listed under in the hardcover series?
James "Bucky" Barnes appears under Captain America.

16. What organized crime group got an entry in Mighty Avengers: Most Wanted?
Yakuza.

My photostream (over 7.5 million photos!)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24917258@N05/

3/06/2020 6:19 pm  #32

New rou8nd:
1. Other than the Howling Commandos, what other non-super military WW2 team got an entry in original series #13?
2. Who drew pencilled Gladiator (Shi'ar version) for Deluxe Edition?:
3. Who drew most of the characters for the Master Edition?
4. What was the background cover for Marvel Knights 2005?
5. In Update '89, whose entry was replaced by a new one in the very next issue?
6. In what way were fictional countries handled differently than real world countries for Marvel Atlas?
7. For the Incredible Hulk/Iron Man 2 Guidebook, who gets an entry on both sides?
8. Which character created to sell toys appeared in Marvel Legacy: 1980s?
9, Who was the first Hostess character to get a handbook profile?
10.Which section of a larger series got an entry in the first two handbooks?
11. Which character from Marvel Monsters (not previously from a Handbook) got a half-pager in the Hardcovers under the letter C? (A bit hard to spell from memory so if you seem to have the right answer, I'll give you it).
12. Which entry in Iron Manual Mark 3 had a number of Easter Eggs related to Who Watches the Watchers participants?
13. One hardcover ended with an armour worn by a number of characters while the next volume had a entry for the most recent wearer of said armour (same code name as the armour name). Which name?
14. Which Handbook series first had a specific Appendix to Other Dimensions?
15. Who drew most or all of first series #15?

3/06/2020 6:40 pm  #33

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

1. Other than the Howling Commandos, what other non-super military WW2 team got an entry in original series #13?
7. For the Incredible Hulk/Iron Man 2 Guidebook, who gets an entry on both sides?
12. Which entry in Iron Manual Mark 3 had a number of Easter Eggs related to Who Watches the Watchers participants?

1. Captain Savage and His Leatherneck Raiders
2. Curt Swan
7. Tony Stark?
8. Crystar?
12. Project Pegasus?
15. Ellliot R. Brown

3/06/2020 8:07 pm  #34

zuckyd1 wrote:

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

1. Captain Savage and His Leatherneck Raiders
2. Curt Swan
7. Tony Stark?
8. Crystar?
12. Project Pegasus?
15. Ellliot R. Brown

All of those are correct. For the first one, the entry is simply called Leatherneck Raiders, but lead character Savage is of course mentioned in the entry.

The Imperial Guard resemble the Legion of Super-Heroes, with Gladiator corresponding to Superboy, Superman's younger self. Curt Swan is considered by many (myself included) to be the definitive Superman artist.

Tony of course is listed as Iron Man on the Iron Man 2 side.

Last edited by Andy E. Nystrom (3/06/2020 8:08 pm)

3/12/2020 6:38 am  #35

If you want to play in the current round, you have until tomorrow!

3/12/2020 1:54 pm  #36

Since it's not looking like anyone else is going to take a shot:

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

New rou8nd:
3. Who drew most of the characters for the Master Edition?

Keith Pollard.

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

9, Who was the first Hostess character to get a handbook profile?

Icemaster.

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

11. Which character from Marvel Monsters (not previously from a Handbook) got a half-pager in the Hardcovers under the letter C? (A bit hard to spell from memory so if you seem to have the right answer, I'll give you it).

Chicken cow. Okay, that's not his official name, but like you said that's a pain to spell - Chtylok (?)

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

13. One hardcover ended with an armour worn by a number of characters while the next volume had a entry for the most recent wearer of said armour (same code name as the armour name). Which name?

Crimson Dynamo. The solo entry was the one from the short lived reboot of Epic comics.

3/12/2020 3:41 pm  #37

All guesses correct, including the spelling of the chicken cow monster (I just doublechecked the spelling from the hardcover). You could tell even from the spelling that it wasn't a Stan Lee monster; he would have come up with a name that was much easier to remember.

While other Hostess characters have appeared briefly since the ads ended, I think Icemaster is so far still the only Marvel Hostess character to really be a recurring character.

Last edited by Andy E. Nystrom (3/12/2020 3:41 pm)

3/13/2020 6:59 am  #38

Here are the ones no one got:
4. What was the background cover for Marvel Knights 2005?
Black

5. In Update '89, whose entry was replaced by a new one in the very next issue?
Chameleon. Even his profile proved to be false.

6. In what way were fictional countries handled differently than real world countries for Marvel Atlas?
First appearances (too hard to determine for real world cases).

10.Which section of a larger series got an entry in the first two handbooks?
One wrong word screwed up this question so will rewrite for next round.

14. Which Handbook series first had a specific Appendix to Other Dimensions?
Deluxe Edition.

Last edited by Andy E. Nystrom (3/13/2020 7:19 am)

3/13/2020 10:37 am  #39

New round!

0. Rewritten from last round:  Which section of a larger city got an entry in the first two handbooks?
1. Who inked most of the profiles Original through Master Edition?
2. How long was the Appendix in first series #12?
3. Which weapon got an entry in first series #15 despite the wielder(s) not getting a full profile until the 21st century Handbooks?
4. What was the first profile in the Deluxe Edition to have ¼-page sub-entries?
5. What was the first profile in Update ‘89 to have ¼-page sub-entries?
6. For which issue of Deluxe Edition was at least half the issue excised for the original trades?
7. Which member of the Squadron Supreme made it to the cover of Alternate Universes 2005?
8. In the 21st century Handbooks, one character’s dog made it to the Handbooks in an earlier book than they did. Name both characters.
9. Which member of Dazzler’s supporting cast got a profile in Marvel Legacy: 1980s?
10. Which character who received a ¼ page sub-entry in the Deluxe Book of the Dead’s Vampires entry has not directly been covered directly at all in the 21st century books, not even in the Vampires Handbook’s Appendix?
11. One of the monsters in the Doctor Demonicus entry in the hardcover series is deliberately missing a caption. Which monster?
12. Who drew the main image for Leonard McKenzie in the Marvel Mystery Handbook?
13. Where can you find a profile for AIDA (MCU)?
14. Which character in the Fantastic Four Encyclopedia made their only appearance during Assistant Editor’s Month?
15. If you have one of the two known variants of X-Men: Earth’s Mutant heroes with pages out of order, the second page of which profile appears at the start? Same answer whether it’s the one with all the pages intact or if it’s the one with missing/duplicated pages

Last edited by Andy E. Nystrom (3/13/2020 10:40 am)

3/13/2020 10:46 am  #40

1. Manhattan?
2. Joe Rubinstein?
3. 1 page?
5. Asgardians?
8. Hyperion
10. O.Z. Chase?
12. Godzilla

3/13/2020 11:11 am  #41

zuckyd1 wrote:

1. Manhattan?
2. Joe Rubinstein?
3. 1 page?
5. Asgardians?
8. Hyperion
10. O.Z. Chase?
12. Godzilla

Digits off by 1 because I used 0. for the carry-over question but mostly basically correct except... I overlooked that there are actually two Dazzler characters in 1980s Handbook, so I was thinking of the other one. Can you guess?

Also, the Appendix in #12 though is not 1 page so that one's also still up for grabs.

Manhattan of course is part of New York City. Rubenstein goes by both Joe and Josef (nowadays more the letter) so i would have accepted either answer. While there are other 1/4-pagers in Deluxe #1, Asgardians come first alphabetically and are thus the correct answer. Godzilla could not be named because Marvel no longer had the license, though they did briefly arrange a special license to reprint the Godzilla series in the Essential volume.

3/13/2020 11:45 am  #42

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

I overlooked that there are actually two Dazzler characters in 1980s Handbook, so I was thinking of the other one. Can you guess?

Roman Nebokah?

3/13/2020 1:21 pm  #43

zuckyd1 wrote:

Roman Nebokah?

He's a fun character but sadly no profile so far.

3/15/2020 11:56 am  #44

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

zuckyd1 wrote:

Roman Nebokah?

He's a fun character but sadly no profile so far.

Lois London.

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

2. How long was the Appendix in first series #12?
3. Which weapon got an entry in first series #15 despite the wielder(s) not getting a full profile until the 21st century Handbooks?
5. What was the first profile in Update ‘89 to have ¼-page sub-entries?
6. For which issue of Deluxe Edition was at least half the issue excised for the original trades?
7. Which member of the Squadron Supreme made it to the cover of Alternate Universes 2005?
8. In the 21st century Handbooks, one character’s dog made it to the Handbooks in an earlier book than they did. Name both characters.
10. Which character who received a ¼ page sub-entry in the Deluxe Book of the Dead’s Vampires entry has not directly been covered directly at all in the 21st century books, not even in the Vampires Handbook’s Appendix?
12. Who drew the main image for Leonard McKenzie in the Marvel Mystery Handbook?

2. 2 1/2 pages
3. Doctor Spectrum's Power Prism (Prime Earth/Earth-616 version)
5. Alliance of Evil
6. Issue 15  (Appendix of Alien Races was left out of the collected TPBs)
10. Lianda?
12. Gus Vasquez

3/15/2020 1:12 pm  #45

skippcomet wrote:

Lois London.
2. 2 1/2 pages
3. Doctor Spectrum's Power Prism (Prime Earth/Earth-616 version)
5. Alliance of Evil
6. Issue 15  (Appendix of Alien Races was left out of the collected TPBs)
10. Lianda?
12. Gus Vasquez

Most of these are correct. Only one wrong. It was indeed Lois who I originally thought of.

Technically with the original Appendix an Announcement cuts into it a little but I wasn't expecting anyone to calculate that out. The Appendix fell behind pretty quickly so the last issue played catch-up.

Dr. Spectrum's Power Prism was a bit of a trick question because Joe Ledger did get a full profile in Update '89, but his prism isn't known to be linked to Krimmon..

Lianda is a good guess but she's one of the resosns I put in the Vampires Appendix caveat. She's covered in that section unlike the character I'm thinking of.

3/20/2020 11:02 am  #46

Here are the ones no one got:

8.In the 21st century Handbooks, one character’s dog made it to the Handbooks in an earlier book than they did. Name both characters.
Because I limited the scope of the question to 21st century, Saint (Marvel Pets, then Hardcover) beat Quincy Harker (Vampires). Harker had previously appeared in Deluxe Edition, but that was 20th century.

Blade Doppleganger. Perhaps not a vampire in the ordinary sense, but then a vampire house made it to the Appendix.

13. Where can you find a profile for AIDA (MCU)?
It's All Connected hardcover, which covered Agents of SHIELD season 4, where she was a key player throughout.

14.Which character in the Fantastic Four Encyclopedia made their only appearance during Assistant Editor’s Month?
Goody Two-Shoes, who battled the Thing in his solo comic, though the Thing insists it was not a very long fight.

15. If you have one of the two known variants of X-Men: Earth’s Mutant heroes with pages out of order, the second page of which profile appears at the start? Same answer whether it’s the one with all the pages intact or if it’s the one with missing/duplicated pages
Page 2 of Madison Jeffries.

3/20/2020 6:00 pm  #47

New round! Other people can also ask questions.Doesn't matter how many.

1. What colour was the background of first series #1’s cover?
2. Which duo had separate entries in the Appendix to the original series but were covered together in the Deluxe Edition?
3. For most of the headshots in the first two series’ Avengers entries, what was their original intended use?
4. What was interesting about the new sub-entries in the Deluxe trade’s Zodiac entry?
5. For the Master Edition’s Supporting Cast entries, the flip side usually said [Character name] _________; what are the two missing words?
6. What was the indicia title for Conan’s book?
7. How long was Aqueduct’s entry in the Hardcover series?
8. Which team covered in All-New A-Z had a member called the Spanker?
9. Where in the 2004-2005 handbooks could you find Deadpool?
10. Which Earth covered in the Fantastic Four Encyclopedia had Stan Lee as a superhero?
11. Which event covered in Blockbusters was Howard the Duck related?
12. Which character who had an entry in the original series was dead at the start of the Deluxe but alive at the time of the Book of the Dead, pushing their deluxe entry to Update ’89?
13. What was the first handbook to have a profile on Bambi Arbogast?
14. What was the first book to cover the villain Doctor Strange?
15. Which team was paired with Spider-Man for their Ultimate Handbook? That is, the entire handbook was devoted to Spider-Man and this team.

3/20/2020 6:28 pm  #48

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

1. What colour was the background of first series #1’s cover?
11. Which event covered in Blockbusters was Howard the Duck related?
14. What was the first book to cover the villain Doctor Strange?
15. Which team was paired with Spider-Man for their Ultimate Handbook? That is, the entire handbook was devoted to Spider-Man and this team.

1. yellow
11. Star Wauggh
14. 60s Legacy?
15. Fantastic Four?

3/21/2020 6:28 am  #49

The above four are correct. The Farce was with you! Doctor Strange is one case that shows how tricky the Roman numerals thing is and why it's probably good that it's no longer used. Carlo first appeared before Stephen but chronologically things get trickier. Stephen began his hero career and Carlo his villain career prior to their first appearances so it's hard to determine when they first became active as Doctor Strange. In addition, you have to decide whether Doctor Strange the medical doctor counts for Stephen or just Doctor Strange the magician. If so Stephen probably beats Carlo but we still can't say for sure.

3/26/2020 6:17 am  #50

Answers tomorrow. Still 11 left on the table. Will the Farce (from #11) be with you?

3/27/2020 3:08 am  #51

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

8. Which team covered in All-New A-Z had a member called the Spanker?

I'd left off responding since I wrote the entry in question, but since it looks like no one else is going for it:
8. Band of the Bland.

3/27/2020 7:38 am  #52

Obviously 8 is correct. That was the team from Howard the Duck's Treasury Edition where he met the Defenders. Steve Gerber was of course the original writer.

The other ones:

2. Which duo had separate entries in the Appendix to the original series but were covered together in the Deluxe Edition?
Hammer and Anvil. Anvil appeared in first series #1's Appendix, Hammer same but #5 (though hammer's entry was minimal). Both appeared together in Deluxe Edition #17

3. For most of the headshots in the first two series’ Avengers entries, what was their original intended use?
Upper left corner boxes of Avengers comics covers.

4. What was interesting about the new sub-entries in the Deluxe trade’s Zodiac entry?
They covered the androids. The regular Deluxe entry only covered the humans.

5. For the Master Edition’s Supporting Cast entries, the flip side usually said [Character name] _________; what are the two missing words?
..;. in Action

6. What was the indicia title for Conan’s book?
Handbook of the Conan Universe.

7. How long was Aqueduct’s entry in the Hardcover series?
2 pages.

9. Where in the 2004-2005 handbooks could you find Deadpool?
Wolverine 2004.

10. Which Earth covered in the Fantastic Four Encyclopedia had Stan Lee as a superhero?
I'm surprised no one got this one. Stan Lee as superhero in a book devoted to the FF? Earth-Bullpen. That was the Earth from What If? where Marvel staffers became the FF.

12. Which character who had an entry in the original series was dead at the start of the Deluxe but alive at the time of the Book of the Dead, pushing their deluxe entry to Update ’89?
Iron Fist. After the first series, Captain Hero killed him, only CH proved to be an amnesiac Super-Skrull and IF one of the Cotati. Actually I can't recall if he was already alive again come Book of the Dead, but if not, clearly by then there were plans to bring him back or he'd have been covered. His absence was rectified for Update '89

13. What was the first handbook to have a profile on Bambi Arbogast?
All-New Iron Manual, the first themed Handbook to be devoted to Iron Man.

3/29/2020 9:34 am  #53

All the questions this time are for the original series

1. Who was the penciller for Hawkeye?
2. What was covered on the bottom of the page containing the Europe entry?
3. If you add up all the pages of the Appendix, what is the total page count?
4. Who shared the same page as Frankenstein's Monster?
5. What was Kitty Pryde listed under?
6. What Alien Race covered was subsequently revealed to be other dimensional beings, not extraterrestrials (well after the 1980s had ended)?
7.How did the Alien Races handle extraterrestrial races that normally wore clothing?
8.Who had an entry for their apartment?
9. Who was the first character who first appeared in Marvel Superhero Contest of Champions to get an entry?
10. For the first Olympian to get an entry, what were they listed as?
11. What was the first entry in #14, the second Book of the Dead and the Inactive issue?
12. What were the two entries on the inside back cover of #15?
13. Who drew the Kingpin entry?
14. Which alias of the villain later revealed to be Nathaniel Richards did not get a full entry, just a mention in the Appendix?
15. Who was the first character to get an entry out of order, different letter of the alphabet even? Not counting surnames.

3/29/2020 10:45 am  #54

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

All the questions this time are for the original series

1. Who was the penciller for Hawkeye?
5. What was Kitty Pryde listed under?
9. Who was the first character who first appeared in Marvel Superhero Contest of Champions to get an entry?
14. Which alias of the villain later revealed to be Nathaniel Richards did not get a full entry, just a mention in the Appendix?

1. Mark Gruenwald?
5. Ariel?
9. Blitzkrieg?
14. Scarlet Centurion?

3/29/2020 11:01 am  #55

zuckyd1 wrote:

1. Mark Gruenwald?
5. Ariel?
9. Blitzkrieg?
14. Scarlet Centurion?

All those are correct. It's easy to forget that Gru, aside from being the creator of the Handbooks and a writer and editor, was also to a lesser degree an artist. While Kitty wasn't Ariel for very long, she was at that time.  All the new Contest characters appeared in that Handbook run; Blitzkrieg happened to begin with an early letter and so got in first. At the time the Centurion identity wasn't used very much, though Gru himself soon after revived that alias.

4/04/2020 7:20 am  #56

One day left in the current round. Still 11 questions on the board!

4/05/2020 2:08 pm  #57

The remaining answers:

2. What was covered on the bottom of the page containing the Europe entry?
The Balkan States

3. If you add up all the pages of the Appendix, what is the total page count?
13. #1's Appandix was half a page, #2-11's Appendix were 1 page each, #12's Appendix as per a previous question was 2 1/2 pages.

4. Who shared the same page as Frankenstein's Monster?
Frog-Man. Two very different characters that happened to begin with "Fr"

6. What Alien Race covered was subsequently revealed to be other dimensional beings, not extraterrestrials (well after the 1980s had ended)?
Phantoms, later reworked as Space Phantoms

7.How did the Alien Races handle extraterrestrial races that normally wore clothing?
The aliens (always males), all wore black briefs.

8.Who had an entry for their apartment?
Daredevil

10. For the first Olympian to get an entry, what were they listed as?
Ares, God of War (so not simply "Ares")

11. What was the first entry in #14, the second Book of the Dead and the Inactive issue?
Marvel Boy

12. What were the two entries on the inside back cover of #15?
Adamantium and Vibranium

13. Who drew the Kingpin entry?
Frank Miller, drawn very film noir.

15. Who was the first character to get an entry out of order, different letter of the alphabet even? Not counting surnames.
Dagger had a half-page entry right below her partner Cloak. The caveat was because early Handbooks listed Arnim Zola under his first name,

4/08/2020 7:07 am  #58

All the below are questions on the Deluxe Edition
1. Which villain got a ¼ page sub-entry under Champions of Xandar?
2. How did the Deluxe Edition usually handle the kind of equipment stats found in vol. 1 #15?
3. What entry appears between Avengers and Avengers Mansion in #1?
4. What three Captain America-related entries immediately follow Cap’s own entry?
5. Who is the first character to appear in both the “living” section and in the Book of the Dead section?
6. How many volumes did it take for the Essential series to reprint the Deluxe Edition?
7. What is the real name of the Ghost Rider who got an entry under that name?
8. Which character had 1 page in the living section followed by 3 pages in the Book of the Dead?
9. Which entry in the Book of the Dead covered characters killed by the essentially the same source? That is, their being killed by that source was the focus of the entry.
10. What was the ½ page sub-entry (as opposed to the many 1/4-pagers) under Squadron Supreme?
11. What were the two entries that began with “Savage Land”?
12. Why did John Byrne stop doing the covers?
13. Which two Vision and the Scarlet Witch characters have never been covered in any other Handbook?
14. Which entry has a headshot of a character from Savage Sword of Conan?
15. Why did #9 reprint pages from #8?

4/08/2020 10:38 am  #59

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

All the below are questions on the Deluxe Edition
6. How many volumes did it take for the Essential series to reprint the Deluxe Edition?
9. Which entry in the Book of the Dead covered characters killed by the essentially the same source? That is, their being killed by that source was the focus of the entry.

6. two
9. Scourge?

4/08/2020 5:06 pm  #60

zuckyd1 wrote:

6. two
9. Scourge?

Both are incorrect but 9 is in the ballpark.

Board footera