Who Watches the Watchers - Forum for the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe & Similar Works 20 YEARS! 2004-2024

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/14/2021 12:34 pm  #61

Re: General speculative fiction trivia

zuckyd1 wrote:

5. Amber?

Yep. Amber, from the series that began with Nine Princes in Amber. Excellent series, well worth checking out.

8/16/2021 6:11 am  #62

Answers.

Loki wrote:

Last clues for the remaining, Answers tomorrow otherwise.

Loki wrote:

Location, location, location. Answers may come from comics, books, movies, TV shows, and more!
4. What fantasy world is home to the Empire of the Petal Throne?
From tabletop rpg. Not sure it will help much, but it was a 1970s RPG, one of the very first after Dungeons and Dragons.

Originally self-published in 1974, then republished by TSR, the company responsible for D&D a year later. In 2005 Guardians of Order reprinted it.

Tekumel. 

Loki wrote:

Loki wrote:

6. What planet are Crashlanders residents of? From a series of SF stories, though only one novel in the series is set there iirc. Humanity originally settled worlds using slower-than-light sleeper ships, sent to where probes had detected habitable planets. Trouble is, those probes were happy if they found even a tiny patch that was habitable on an otherwise utterly inhospitable planet, and colonists had no way to leave once they arrived, forcing them to find some way to survive on these unsuitable worlds. The original Crashlanders were called that because they literally crashlanded on their world; the world is a named with a three words phrase in ironic recognition that they survived to get there.

It's in Larry Niven's Known Space.

Named for some of the first words said by the colonists. As the name used for residents might suggest, the colony ship crashed. The world is "We Made It."

Loki wrote:

Loki wrote:

7. Where are you if your neighbor keeps shouting "Yngvi is a louse!" every hour? I'll accept the general world, though bonus points if you can narrow it down. From an older set of fantasy stories. The stories are some of the first multiversal travel fictions, and the world in question is the first they visited, and not unique to this series.

The first location visited in the Incomplete Enchanter stories. The travelers arrived in the middle of an historic event for this place, resulting in it being very, very cold.

The neighbor would be the guy in the next cell over, while you are imprisoned in Surt's dungeon in the lands of the Aesir (I would have accepted Asgard or the Nine Realms); the first reality visited by the dimension hoppers of the tale was that of Norse mythology, and they arrived during Fimbulwinter, the immediate precursor to Ragnarok.

Loki wrote:

Loki wrote:

​8. Kelewan invaded what other world? From a series of fantasy novels, the first one being most focused on said invasion. Kelewan is based on an east Asian template, while the world they invaded is much more standard Western fantasy-styled.

From Raymond Feist's Magician and subsequent books in that series.

Midkemia.

Loki wrote:

Loki wrote:

11. On what alien world might you visit the Leisure Hive? From a long running TV series, though the location mentioned only features in a tiny portion of said show. From Doctor Who - heck, I'll narrow it further, from the fourth Doctor era.

I've already narrowed the Doctor Who story right down, as The Leisure Hive is the name of the story itself, so I'll give a clue based on the planet name. If the third Doctor told one of his companions where Supergirl was from, he might inadvertently name the planet of the Leisure Hive.

Argolis (Argo, Liz)

Loki wrote:

Loki wrote:

13. On which world did a human archaeological dig uncover the Shadows?
From a SF tv series.
"The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."

From Babylon 5. It's also the name of an episode of the series.

Z'ha'dum.

Loki wrote:

Loki wrote:

​14. On which planet might you meet Robby the Robot?
From a movie.
Already identified as Forbidden Planet. The planet is named using star system and position from its sun, the same way Earth is sometimes called Sol III, and the star in question is genuine one, also mentioned in Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and Star Trek; in the former it's mentioned in terms of money, and in the latter the Enterprise nearly visits sister planets to the one you want on more than one occasion across both series and movies.

The planet shares the non-numerical part of its name with an assassin from Assassin's Creed who has one of the games in the series named after him.

Altair IV

8/19/2021 8:39 am  #63

Calling a day on the following:
3. Who said the following (and what was the context)?: "May I make a suggestion? You can all... eat lead and die!"
5. What is the code name and real name of the main villain of the games Police Quest 1-2?
8. Who played Catwoman in Batman: The Movie?
9. What novel and subsequent movie was about a dinosaur PI?
10. For what series and character was it intended (but not revealed on screen) that a character's final appearances were actually an imposter?
12. One movie had this dialogue: "Do you know why you lost the war? You got greedy?" Which movie, who is speaking to whom, and which war is being alluded to?
13. What rather distracting naming error appears throughout Marv Wolfman's novelization of Crisis on Infinite Earths?
14. Which book by which author has a vampire commenting that he can't reflect and thus always cuts himself shaving? The author is someone who is probably well known to everyone on this forum
16.Where does a teacher have a breakdown and starts teaching his class at gunpoint?
17. Whose favourite show is Psycho Dad?
20. Who decided to sit on the bride's side at a wedding because he had tried to kill the groom a few times?

My photostream (over 7.5 million photos!)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24917258@N05/

8/19/2021 11:24 am  #64

10. Twin Peaks, Agent Dale Cooper?

8/19/2021 6:18 pm  #65

Incorrect, at least to my knowledge.

8/20/2021 6:27 am  #66

Remaining answers:

3. Who said the following (and what was the context)?: "May I make a suggestion? You can all... eat lead and die!"
Scourge at the bar with No name massacre. Rather rudely he didn't give the villains present the opportunity to discuss and weigh the pros and cons of his suggestion before he implemented it.

5. What is the code name and real name of the main villain of the games Police Quest 1-2?
Death Angel, who turned out to be

Jesse Bains

6. Prior to the first issue in comic book form, which series first debuted in a story made entirely of trading cards?
Plasm, which led into Warriors of Plasm

9. What novel and subsequent movie was about a dinosaur PI?
Anonymous Rex

10. For what series and character was it intended (but not revealed on screen) that a character's final appearances were actually an imposter?
Maximilian Arturo on Sliders.

There was an episode where they visited a parallel Earth where another Arturo seemed particularly keen on visiting other worlds. He and the main Arturo fought and one joined others at the last minute, no time to ensure they had the right one, while another Arturo watched them leave in dismay. Then later Arturo got killed. The showrunner has confirmed that the wrong Arturo game with them and the door was being left open for their Arturo to be able to rejoin the team.

I'd include a link but the article has since been taken down.

12. One movie had this dialogue: "Do you know why you lost the war? You got greedy?" Which movie, who is speaking to whom, and which war is being alluded to?
Dead Snow 2: Red vs. Dead, Martin to Herzog, World War II

13. What rather distracting naming error appears throughout Marv Wolfman's novelization of Crisis on Infinite Earths?
John Stewart is called Jon Stewart, thus creating the mental image of a late night talk show host (who still had his own show at the time) joining the Green Lantern Corps.

14. Which book by which author has a vampire commenting that he can't reflect and thus always cuts himself shaving? The author is someone who is probably well known to everyone on this forum
Howling Mad by Peter David

16.Where does a teacher have a breakdown and starts teaching his class at gunpoint?
Class of 1984

17. Whose favourite show is Psycho Dad?
Al Bundy on Married... with Children

20. Who decided to sit on the bride's side at a wedding because he had tried to kill the groom a few times?
Arrowverse version of Mick Rory, at the wedding of Barry Allen and Iris West.

8/20/2021 7:11 am  #67

1. Afrer the Little Orphan Annie strip ended, where was the storyline concluded?
2. Which three Breaking Bad characters appear in the first episode of Better Call Saul?
3. In the novel Created, the Destroyer, which martial art did Chiun claim he was teaching Remo, and what was it later revealed that he was actually teaching him>
4. Where can you find the line, "Look! Fresh brains!"
5. What aspect of the Hulk/Banner transformation was unique to the 1982 cartoon series?
6. Where can you find the line, "That knife wouldn't cut through hot butter"?
7. What DC related Easter Egg is in King's Quest 2?
8. Who were the characters in the commercial where two men, feeling bad about their wives doing all the housework, decide to hide from them and take a cigarette break? And which brand of cigarette?
9. In the original books, who took over as the ruler of the West region of Oz after the Wicked Witch of the West died?
10. In which early computer game did players enter a name, which caused another character to mutter about strange Saxon names?
11. Who once said, "Just another victim of Reaganomics, that me" and as part of which storyline?
12. Who once said "My mutant brain senses danger!" and what was the situation?
13. Who said, "Come into my lab, and see what's on the slab" and where is this quote from?
14, Finish this sentence (and where can you find it, and who's speaking?): "It's a word, it's a plan, it's ____"
15. Who said that that their parents didn't name them Evil; they added that later? And who awere they talking to and where is this reply from?
16. Who once said, "Now he's a fryer, a real southern fryer. they say those fryers cook up real well. I like mine extra crispy"?
17. Which two minor comic book thugs appear in the introductory adventure for the original Marvel Superheroes RPG?
18. What pop culture reference can be found in the original Dumbo movie?
19. Which fictional organization has a real life YouTube channel with in-universe content, tying into which series?
20. In which series would a Seldon Crisis occasionally occur?

8/20/2021 8:53 am  #68

9. The Tin Woodman

8/20/2021 9:04 am  #69

9 is correct.

8/20/2021 11:49 pm  #70

1 Dick Tracy?
3 Actually teaching sinanju.
13 Frank N Furter, Rocky Horror

8/21/2021 4:53 am  #71

1 is correct. Mentioned in the latest Overstreet guide.
3 is correct so far; that just leaves the claimed martial art.
13 is correct.

8/21/2021 5:46 am  #72

3 Karate

8/21/2021 6:19 am  #73

3 is correct.

8/26/2021 4:12 am  #74

Calling a day on the following:

2. Which three Breaking Bad characters appear in the first episode of Better Call Saul?
5. What aspect of the Hulk/Banner transformation was unique to the 1982 cartoon series?
8. Who were the characters in the commercial where two men, feeling bad about their wives doing all the housework, decide to hide from them and take a cigarette break? And which brand of cigarette?
10. In which early computer game did players enter a name, which caused another character to mutter about strange Saxon names?
11. Who once said, "Just another victim of Reaganomics, that me" and as part of which storyline?
14, Finish this sentence (and where can you find it, and who's speaking?): "It's a word, it's a plan, it's ____"
15. Who said that that their parents didn't name them Evil; they added that later? And who awere they talking to and where is this reply from?
16. Who once said, "Now he's a fryer, a real southern fryer. they say those fryers cook up real well. I like mine extra crispy"?
17. Which two minor comic book thugs appear in the introductory adventure for the original Marvel Superheroes RPG?
19. Which fictional organization has a real life YouTube channel?

8/27/2021 5:11 am  #75

Jimmy McGill, Mike Ehrmantraut, Tuco Salamanca

Return of the Living Dead Part II

His torn/destroyed clothes grow back when he reverts to Banner.

King's Quest IV

Batmobile

Original version:

VGA version (better graphics but somehow not as charming):

Fred Flintstone and Barney Rubble; Winston

Eamon

Joker; A Death in the Family

Professor X; wedding of Reed and Sue (or if you go by the Marvel Superheroes cartoon version, during Namor's war with humanity).

Letterman, Electric Company, Joan Rivers

15. Who said that that their parents didn't name them Evil; they added that later? And who were they talking to and where is this reply from?
Evil to Orko, Masters of the Universe: Revelation

Punisher

Turk & Grotto

Going up a mountain, the engine says, "I think I can, I think I can", thus referencing the book The Little Engine that Could

19. Which fictional organization has a real life YouTube channel?
Vought International from The Boys (TV version)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCekYgu4qTiqVtLcxgBbhjnw

Includes Starlight's touching tribute to her late kind-hearted teammate Transluscent

12/14/2022 10:17 am  #76

A small round of "what have all of these things, characters or real world people got in common?" No Googling allowed, as that would make things too easy. While identifying the common theme is required, it's not vital to identify how, where and when each person, thing or character fits the theme, though obviously that's encouraged.

1. Lee Tully, Peter Hale, Mr. Dunleavy, Ray (surname unrevealed), Ted Nichols
2. John Call, David Harbour, James Cosmo, Mel Gibson, Kurt Russell
3. Andy Serkis, Patton Oswalt, Henderson Wade, Adrienne Barbeau
4. Vladimir Harkonnen, Tarzan, Kurt Wallander, Pennywise the Dancing Clown
5. Idris Elba, Kirk Jones, Terence Maynard, D.B. Woodside
6. Teacher, Nurse, Cowboy, Loving, Screaming!
7. Haruo Nakajima, Kenpachiro Satsuma, T.J. Storm, Toru Kawai
8. Harry Harrison, A.E.Moorat, Christopher Bulis, Kim Newman
9. Caroline Hubbard, Alfred Inglethorp, James Sheppard, Simon Doyle
10. Sanctuary, Hell, Merovin, Haven, Liavek

12/16/2022 10:41 am  #77

Since there's been no guesses in a couple of days, I'm assuming some clues are required.

Loki wrote:

A small round of "what have all of these things, characters or real world people got in common?" No Googling allowed, as that would make things too easy. While identifying the common theme is required, it's not vital to identify how, where and when each person, thing or character fits the theme, though obviously that's encouraged.

All are fictional characters with a similarity in who or what they are, but also similar in terms of something they did.

Loki wrote:

All actors with similarity in terms of a role or roles.

Loki wrote:

As #2 - all actors with similarity in terms of a role or roles.

Loki wrote:

All fictional characters with a connection via their adaptations to film or TV.

Loki wrote:

Actors with a similarity in terms of a role or roles.

Loki wrote:

Clearly no one British over a certain age on the forums, or this one would have been spotted very quickly. No clue that wouldn't be too obvious springs to mind, so instead I'll add a few more items to that list:
Teacher, Nurse, Cowboy, Loving, Screaming!, Sergeant, Spying, Constable, Henry, Matron, England

Loki wrote:

Loki wrote:

Authors with a similarity in terms of a story, stories, novel or novels.

Loki wrote:

Characters with something in common.

Loki wrote:

Fictional places with a similar literary connection.

12/17/2022 12:40 pm  #78

More clues.

Loki wrote:

All are fictional characters with a similarity in who or what they are, but also similar in terms of something they did.

All are similar in terms of what very specific type of individual they are, as well as an action they took that had major consequences for the TV shows they appeared in.

Loki wrote:

The role or roles in question were fantastical in nature.

Loki wrote:

The role or roles in question all share the same setting/world/universe.

Loki wrote:

The connection involves actors who have portrayed them. 

Loki wrote:

The connection involves the activities the similar role or roles partake in.

Loki wrote:

Clearly no one British over a certain age on the forums, or this one would have been spotted very quickly. No clue that wouldn't be too obvious springs to mind, so instead I'll add a few more items to that list:
Teacher, Nurse, Cowboy, Loving, Screaming!, Sergeant, Spying, Constable, Henry, Matron, England

The connection is franchise related. 

Loki wrote:

The connection is a specific character.

Loki wrote:

The similarity has to do with an individual normally associated with a very specific era; said character has featured prominently in at least one book by each author.

Loki wrote:

All four are literary characters, though they've also been adapted to the screen, and all four did something very wrong.

Loki wrote:

Four of the places are fantasy, one is SF, but all are used in multiple books and stories.

12/17/2022 1:15 pm  #79

Complete shots in the dark.
5. Vampire hunters? I know Elba was in Ultraviolet
8. Jack the Ripper?

12/17/2022 1:37 pm  #80

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

Complete shots in the dark.
5. Vampire hunters? I know Elba was in Ultraviolet
8. Jack the Ripper?

5 is halfway there - they are all vampire hunters, specifically Idris Elba as Vaughan Rice in Ultraviolet (well worth tracking down to see if you haven't already; Elba also appeared as Rice in the US pilot); Kirk "Sticky" Jones as Blade in Blade: The Series, Terence Maynard as Eric Van Helsing in Young Dracula; and D.B. Woodside as Robin Wood in Buffy the Vampire Slayer. There's another minor element needed to complete their connection, but I doubt that will be too hard to figure out.

For 8, no (though I had to double check just in case - while not the link I intended, I wanted to make sure they hadn't also all written about Jack), but you are in roughly the right historical era and even general geographical location.

12/17/2022 1:40 pm  #81

5. Hunting Dracula? I've seen Ultraviolet but it's been so long ago that I've watched that I don't recall if Dracula himself was in it
8. Sherlock Holmes? That was going to be my next guess even if you hadn't mentioned similar era/location.

12/17/2022 1:45 pm  #82

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

5. Hunting Dracula? I've seen Ultraviolet but it's been so long ago that I've watched that I don't recall if Dracula himself was in it

Nope, it's a much more obvious, albeit superficial similarity. I hadn't even intended to include it as a factor until I'd picked the first two characters and realised that both shared this on top of being vampire hunters, at which point I wondered if I could find at least two more.

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

8. Sherlock Holmes? That was going to be my next guess even if you hadn't mentioned similar era/location.

Not Holmes either. In at least two of the books featuring the character the name of the novel includes the character's name. In the other two cases the name is to some degree implicit in the title.

12/17/2022 2:10 pm  #83

5. black vampire hunters?
8. Dracula?

12/18/2022 4:04 am  #84

zuckyd1 wrote:

5. black vampire hunters?

Yep. Like I said, them all being black didn't start as a deliberate thing, but once I realised my first two choices (Elba and Jones) also fitted that remit I decided to pick two more black guys rather than vampire killers of other ethnicities.

zuckyd1 wrote:

8. Dracula?

Not Dracula either. The individual in question was a real person, rather than fictional, though obviously the authors in question used them in a fictional tale. The character isn't necessarily physically present for large amounts of each story, but at minimum their presence is heavily felt.

12/18/2022 4:18 pm  #85

Another shot in the dark.
6. Avengers episode titles?

12/19/2022 8:09 am  #86

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

Another shot in the dark.
6. Avengers episode titles?

Not Avengers related, no.

12/19/2022 8:25 am  #87

More clues.

Loki wrote:

All are similar in terms of what very specific type of individual they are, as well as an action they took that had major consequences for the TV shows they appeared in.

All are the same type of supernatural individual.

Loki wrote:

The role or roles in question were fantastical in nature.

The role or roles are specific to a time of year.

Loki wrote:

The role or roles in question all share the same setting/world/universe.

The role or roles belong to a specific comic universe.

Loki wrote:

The connection involves actors who have portrayed them.

While many people have portrayed Tarzan, far fewer have done so for the others. It might help to consider those options to narrow down the connection.

Loki wrote:

The connection involves the activities the similar role or roles partake in.

Correctly identified as all being vampire hunters who are also black (I would have said black vampire hunters, but that could also be read as hunters of black vampires).

Loki wrote:

The connection is franchise related.

All in order:
Sergeant, Nurse, Teacher, Constable, Regardless, Cruising, Cabby, Jack, Spying, Cleo, Cowboy, Screaming!, Don't Lose Your Head, Follow that Camel, Doctor, Up the Khyber, Camping, Again Doctor, Up the Jungle, Loving, Henry, At Your Convenience, Matron, Abroad, Girls, Dick, Behind, England, That's, Emmanuelle, Columbus. 

Loki wrote:

The connection is a specific character.

That specific character is not human.

Loki wrote:

The similarity has to do with an individual normally associated with a very specific era; said character has featured prominently in at least one book by each author.
Not Sherlock Holmes, Jack the Ripper or Dracula, although all three are approximately the right era. The person you want is not fictional.

A British individual.

Loki wrote:

All four are literary characters, though they've also been adapted to the screen, and all four did something very wrong.

All four are from the same author.

Loki wrote:

Four of the places are fantasy, one is SF, but all are used in multiple books and stories.

Correcting myself slightly - three places are fantasy, one SF, one SF that feels much like fantasy. Two are cities, two are planets, and one is a plane of existence (no prizes for guessing which, given the names on the list). All feature multiple protagonists and antagonists; which is which shifts from story to story.

12/19/2022 8:32 am  #88

6: Carry On movie titles, minus the Carry On bit.

12/19/2022 8:37 am  #89

3. I know Serkis and Oswalt have appeared in the MCU (as Klaw and the male Koening siblings respectively). I don't recall anything with Barbeau but i might as well guess MCU anyway.

4. I imagine it's whoever played Pennywise in the newer version of It (I don't think Tim Curry played Tarzan) but I want to play fair and not look things up and I have no idea who the actors were in the newer version, just that there was a newer version.

12/19/2022 1:55 pm  #90

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

6: Carry On movie titles, minus the Carry On bit.

Correct. The Carry On series of comedy movies, which ran from 1958 through to 1978, with a one-off revival in 1992 (which was hoped to be a restart for the series, but it didn't do well enough). Many cast members carried over from film to film, but always playing new characters in new situations. Many, many famous British actors were Carry On alumni, whether for a single movie or several.

Board footera