Who Watches the Watchers - Forum for the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe & Similar Works 20 YEARS! 2004-2024

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/31/2021 8:12 am  #151

Re: Movie Trivia

14 1984

10/31/2021 8:52 am  #152

My mistake with 16. 14 is incorrect (though haven't seen that one so it's possible it also works). The rest are correct. The full time of 2001 is of course 2001: A Space Odyssey.

My photostream (over 7.5 million photos!)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24917258@N05/

10/31/2021 9:00 am  #153

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

My mistake with 16. 14 is incorrect (though haven't seen that one so it's possible it also works). The rest are correct. The full time of 2001 is of course 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Which 14 is incorrect? Mine, zuckyds or both?

10/31/2021 9:12 am  #154

Whoops, missed the page switch. 1984 is correct.

11/06/2021 6:32 am  #155

Calling a day on the following:
Every answer below has a number in its title. The number may be in numerical form or spelled out. Numbers don't repeat between questions. The number is not part of a larger word, so if a movie was called "The 2nd One", one, not two would be the number. Numbers never denote sequels, so no Superman 2 and the like.

1. Bobcat Goldthwaite played Godzilla (kind of) in this movie
6. These two 2015 movies tied for Worst Picture in the 2016 Razzies.
7. This animated superhero movie won an Oscar for Best Animated Feature.
10. This action movie starred Denzel Washington and Mark Wahlberg
12. The mock documentary (though played seriously, not for laughs) was about two youth planning a Columbine style killing. [probably more accurately described as "found footage", albeit a case where the main characters intended the footage to be found from the get-go].
13. For this horror movie anthology, the number is in the form of a Roman numeral
15. This movie was about a sentient rag doll.
17. This movie about someone who was granted a wish has a highway in the title.
19. This movie fitting this theme featured the character of Captain Spaulding

11/06/2021 6:55 am  #156

6 Fant4stic Four, 5 Shades of Grey
7 Big Hero 6
10 2 Guns
15 9

11/06/2021 7:00 am  #157

6 is close enough (the latter is 50 Shades of Grey). The rest are correct.

11/06/2021 2:29 pm  #158

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

6 is close enough (the latter is 50 Shades of Grey). The rest are correct.

Look, if you want to sit through all fifty shades, more power to you. I'm only willing to acknowledge 10% of that movie even exists, and to watch even less.

11/07/2021 6:38 am  #159

I don't think I could sit through 50 Shades either.

1. Bobcat Goldthwaite played Godzilla (kind of) in this movie
One Crazy Summer

12. The mock documentary (though played seriously, not for laughs) was about two youth planning a Columbine style killing. [probably more accurately described as "found footage", albeit a case where the main characters intended the footage to be found from the get-go].
Zero Day (a great movie that deserves to be better known than it is).

13. For this horror movie anthology, the number is in the form of a Roman numeral
III Slices of Life (the Roman numeral resembles claw marks, so until I corrected it, DVD Profiler had it listed as simply Slices of Life).

17. This movie about someone who was granted a wish has a highway in the title.
Interstate 60

19. This movie fitting this theme featured the character of Captain Spaulding
House of 1,000 Corpses

11/14/2021 7:12 am  #160

Who played...
1. Kat Debrofkowitz in Defendor?
2. Jack Morell in Can't Stop the Music?
3. Captain Zoom in Zoom: Academy for Superheroes?
4. Ralph (the cameraman) in All in Good Taste?
5. Alferd Packer in Cannibal! The Musical?
6. Larry Benjamin in Terror Firmer?
7. Victoria (surname presumably Shand) in The Long Good Friday?
8. Andrea Beaumont in Batman: Mask of the Phantasm?
9. Choda Boy in Orgazmo?
10.  The Scarecrow in The Wizard of Oz (1939)?
11. Pat in It's Pat: The Movie?
12. Stuart Smalley in Stuart Saves His Family?
13. Hannibal Smith in The A-Team (2010)?
14. Joe in Joe's Apartment?
15. Winston Deavor in Incredibles 2?
16. Batgirl in Batman and Robin?
17. Hannibal King in Blade: Trinity?
18. Sue Storm in Fantastic Four (2015)?
19. Dum Dum Dugan in Captain America: The First Avenger?
20. Captain Spaulding in The Devil's Rejects?
21, Captain Spaulding in Animal Crackers?
22. Jim Cunningham in Donnie Darko?
23. Graf Orlok in Nosferatu, eine Symphonie des Grauens?
24. Honey Ryder in Dr. No? (name both physical actress and voice actress)?
25. Martin in Død snø (Dead Snow)?
26. Tony the Tiger in Married to the Mob?

11/14/2021 7:47 am  #161

3 Tim Allen
13 Liam Neeson
14 Jerry O'Connell
16 Alicia Silverstone
17 Ryan Reynolds
18 Kate Mara
19 Neal McDonough
21 Groucho Marx
23 Max Shrek
24 Ursula Andress for physical
26 Dean Stockwell

11/14/2021 8:18 am  #162

Those are all correct

11/14/2021 8:22 am  #163

10. Ray Bolger
11. Julia Sweeney
12. Al Franken

11/14/2021 8:52 am  #164

Those are correct.

11/20/2021 7:13 am  #165

Calling a day on the following:

Who played...
1. Kat Debrofkowitz in Defendor?
9. Choda Boy in Orgazmo?
22. Jim Cunningham in Donnie Darko?

11/20/2021 7:44 am  #166

1 Kat Dennings
22 Patrick Swayze

11/20/2021 8:02 am  #167

Those two are correct

11/20/2021 9:20 pm  #168

8.Adrienne Barbeau?

11/20/2021 10:33 pm  #169

8 is incorrect.

11/21/2021 8:28 am  #170

Remaining answers:
Steve Guttenberg

Jim Carrey

Trey Parker

Lloyd Kaufman

Helen Mirren

Dana Delaney

9. Choda Boy in Orgazmo?
Dian Bachar

Bob Odenkirk

Sid Haig

Vegar Hoel

Feel like taking a break from trivia (not feeling inspired at the moment) but will come back some time when more energized for that. And of course will participate in others' trivia if I know the answer.

11/21/2021 9:14 am  #171

Okay, in that case, here's some UK SF TV trivia questions.

1. In what 1980s TV show did Kenny Baker play an alien disguised as an aspidistra plant?
2. Being Human was a show about a vampire, a werewolf and a ghost sharing a house together. What was the brief spin-off about their teenage equivalents called?
3. Who was shown by the Ghost of Christmas Past that if he turned evil his descendent would end up taking over the universe? Surname only is fine.
4. What show saw drivers racing one another from London to the north of Scotland through a Britain overrun with zombies?
5. Name the individual who found a passage back in time to Blitz-era WWII London, and used it as a way to cheat on his wife.
6. Name the show that teamed up a famous real-world author of detective fiction with an also famous real-world escapologist as a pair of mismatched crime solvers.
7. Name the CBBC show where teenage spies were operating out of an underground base beneath their school.
8. According to the theme tune of the series Robin of Sherwood, what was Robin's alias/description?
9. Based off a children's book and adapted to TV at least twice, what was the name of a caveman who lived in the modern day at a garbage dump?
10. Which crime drama named for its location and previously rooted in macabre but seemingly "normal" murderers in its first three seasons revealed in the fourth and final season that there was a supernatural cause underlying all the bad events in the series?
11. A certain artificially-created supernatural being that originated in novels has twice been portrayed on British television by actors previously known for playing sailors (they also have other, possibly more famous roles, but mentioning them just yet would be too big a clue); said actors played the role in the 1980s and in new stories currently being produced, and in both cases the show is named for the character - but which character?
12. Name the series set largely in a somewhat supernatural underground society living below London. 
13. When religious groups complained to Netflix about the TV series Good Omens, demanding it be cancelled, how did Netflix respond and what did Amazon say in return? Exact wording good, but not vital.
14. In what 1950s supernaturally-slanted detective series did one actor who had played both Frankenstein's Monster (iconically) and Fu Manchu arrest as the murderer another actor who would GO ON to iconically play both of those roles?
15. What British children's show did Anthony Head, later star of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, make a guest appearance as a weredog?

12/20/2021 11:17 am  #172

I'd forgotten I'd posted this, but given the lack of attempts I assume either there was no interest or else the clues/shows were too obscure. I'll post some additional clues, but if no one makes an attempt at any in the next couple of days I'll assume there's no interest and give the answers. To give people a chance if they are interested, people may also ask one question per show (though not, of course, the title); I'll answer where feasible.

Loki wrote:

1. In what 1980s TV show did Kenny Baker play an alien disguised as an aspidistra plant?

It was a SF based game show. 

Loki wrote:

2. Being Human was a show about a vampire, a werewolf and a ghost sharing a house together. What was the brief spin-off about their teenage equivalents called?

The title is very similar, literally only a few letters of a difference.

Loki wrote:

3. Who was shown by the Ghost of Christmas Past that if he turned evil his descendent would end up taking over the universe? Surname only is fine.

Several series about this character's family tree, though most included no fantasy elements. 

Loki wrote:

4. What show saw drivers racing one another from London to the north of Scotland through a Britain overrun with zombies?

The show is only a few years old. 

Loki wrote:

5. Name the individual who found a passage back in time to Blitz-era WWII London, and used it as a way to cheat on his wife.

A sitcom, despite the premise. Apparently bigamy facilitated via time travel is hilarious. 

Loki wrote:

6. Name the show that teamed up a famous real-world author of detective fiction with an also famous real-world escapologist as a pair of mismatched crime solvers.

About the most famous examples of each profession as you could think of.

Loki wrote:

7. Name the CBBC show where teenage spies were operating out of an underground base beneath their school.

It helps if you know the names of the two most famous real world spy agencies; the series name is a riff on them.

Loki wrote:

8. According to the theme tune of the series Robin of Sherwood, what was Robin's alias/description?

It's fairly close to what he's normally called.

Loki wrote:

9. Based off a children's book and adapted to TV at least twice, what was the name of a caveman who lived in the modern day at a garbage dump?

**** of the Dump.

Loki wrote:

10. Which crime drama named for its location and previously rooted in macabre but seemingly "normal" murderers in its first three seasons revealed in the fourth and final season that there was a supernatural cause underlying all the bad events in the series?

Named for a region of London infamous for a string of murders.

Loki wrote:

11. A certain artificially-created supernatural being that originated in novels has twice been portrayed on British television by actors previously known for playing sailors (they also have other, possibly more famous roles, but mentioning them just yet would be too big a clue); said actors played the role in the 1980s and in new stories currently being produced, and in both cases the show is named for the character - but which character?

One of the actors was also a Time Lord. The other actor's sailor role was undead, at least initially.

Loki wrote:

12. Name the series set largely in a somewhat supernatural underground society living below London.

Written by a very famous author of fantasy and comics.

Loki wrote:

13. When religious groups complained to Netflix about the TV series Good Omens, demanding it be cancelled, how did Netflix respond and what did Amazon say in return? Exact wording good, but not vital.

It helps to think about which company made Good Omens.

Loki wrote:

14. In what 1950s supernaturally-slanted detective series did one actor who had played both Frankenstein's Monster (iconically) and Fu Manchu arrest as the murderer another actor who would GO ON to iconically play both of those roles?

The latter actor was also very well known for playing Dracula.

Loki wrote:

15. What British children's show did Anthony Head, later star of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, make a guest appearance as a weredog?

The show as a whole was about a much younger weredog; Head was a guest star whose character suffered from the same affliction.

12/20/2021 12:42 pm  #173

3. Blackadder?
6. Are the two leads Arthur Conan Doyle and Harry Houdini?
10. Whitechapel?

12/20/2021 1:47 pm  #174

3 is correct - Blackadder's Christmas Carol showed how the white sheep of the family was turned bad accidentally by a drunken Ghost of Christmas Past.
6 Yes, those are the two lead characters.
10 Yes. Whitechapel was a British series that started out as a macabre but real world series but in the final season we learned that the devil was seemingly the cause of the region being hit by so many outré events. 

12/26/2021 1:29 pm  #175

11. Frankenstein's Monster/Creature?

12/27/2021 4:20 am  #176

skippcomet wrote:

11. Frankenstein's Monster/Creature?

Good guess, but no. The Creature was a product of science, and who we are looking for is more a product of the supernatural - I guess you could call them a golem (though they've not been described a such in canon), a being made from an unliving substance in humanoid form, given life by magic. We're talking a less widely known being than the creature, albeit one who has been portrayed on screen at least three times, as well as having their own series of novels (which is where they originated). The second TV version of the character, easily the best known, also had their own comic strips from more than one publisher; one of those publishers was Marvel, who gave the character their own title not once but twice.

12/29/2021 5:05 am  #177

Final clues. Calling 24 hours on the remaining ones. During that period, people are welcome to ask additional questions to help identify them.

Loki wrote:

Loki wrote:

It was a SF based game show.

The show used (minor) celebrity contestants rather than the general public. Each week ended with them trying to cross a grid to safety while avoiding an invisible (to them, but not the audience) and moving vortex that would teleport them into deep space if they were unlucky enough to step on it.

Loki wrote:

Loki wrote:

The title is very similar, literally only a few letters of a difference.

Released online in 10 minute segments before being aired as a single hour long episode.

Loki wrote:

Loki wrote:

The show is only a few years old.

Sean Bean was among the cast. 

Loki wrote:

Loki wrote:

A sitcom, despite the premise. Apparently bigamy facilitated via time travel is hilarious.

Starred an actor much better known for his long running role as one of the main cast in sitcom Only Fools and Horses.

Loki wrote:

Loki wrote:

As has been correctly deduced, the two leads were portraying Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and Harry Houdini.

Loki wrote:

Loki wrote:

It helps if you know the names of the two most famous real world spy agencies; the series name is a riff on them.

To clarify, I should have said the two most famous BRITISH real world spy agencies. 

Loki wrote:

Loki wrote:

Think of Robin's alias.

Loki wrote:

Loki wrote:

**** of the Dump.

Author of the original novel was Clive King.

Loki wrote:

Loki wrote:

One of the actors was also a Time Lord. The other actor's sailor role was undead, at least initially.

You're looking for a role played by someone who was the Doctor in Doctor Who, and someone else who was one of the notable pirates in Pirates of the Caribbean. 

Loki wrote:

Loki wrote:

Written by a very famous author of fantasy and comics.

Said author being Neil Gaiman. The story was written for TV first, but also released simultaneously as a novel, and later as a comic.

Loki wrote:

Loki wrote:

Amazon are now breaking Netflix's promise.

Loki wrote:

Loki wrote:

The two actors are Boris Karloff and Christopher Lee.

Loki wrote:

Loki wrote:

The show as a whole was about a much younger weredog; Head was a guest star whose character suffered from the same affliction.

The series' title was a single four letter word associated with dogs.

12/29/2021 8:01 am  #178

12. Neverwhere.

12/29/2021 8:04 am  #179

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

12. Neverwhere.

Correct. Inspired by the London "Tube" Map, with characters inspired and often named for stations on the London Underground. 

12/30/2021 6:01 am  #180

Answers.

Loki wrote:

1. In what 1980s TV show did Kenny Baker play an alien disguised as an aspidistra plant? A SF based game show.
The show used (minor) celebrity contestants rather than the general public. Each week ended with them trying to cross a grid to safety while avoiding an invisible (to them, but not the audience) and moving vortex that would teleport them into deep space if they were unlucky enough to step on it.

The Adventure Game. You can find clips and even the entire first episode on YouTube. 

Loki wrote:

2. Being Human was a show about a vampire, a werewolf and a ghost sharing a house together. What was the brief spin-off about their teenage equivalents called? The title is very similar, literally only a few letters of a difference. Released online in 10 minute segments before being aired as a single hour long episode.

Becoming Human

Loki wrote:

4. What show saw drivers racing one another from London to the north of Scotland through a Britain overrun with zombies? The show is only a few years old. Sean Bean was among the cast.

Curfew

Loki wrote:

5. Name the individual who found a passage back in time to Blitz-era WWII London, and used it as a way to cheat on his wife. A sitcom, despite the premise. Apparently bigamy facilitated via time travel is hilarious. Starred an actor much better known for his long running role as one of the main cast in sitcom Only Fools and Horses.

The show was Goodnight Sweetheart, starring Nicholas Lyndhurst as Gary Sparrow.

Loki wrote:

As has been correctly deduced, the two leads were portraying Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and Harry Houdini.

Literally just called: Houdini and Doyle

Loki wrote:

7. Name the CBBC show where teenage spies were operating out of an underground base beneath their school. It helps if you know the names of the two most famous real world spy agencies; the series name is a riff on them. To clarify, I should have said the two most famous BRITISH real world spy agencies.

MI High

Loki wrote:

Think of Robin's alias.

The Hooded Man.

Loki wrote:

**** of the Dump.
Author of the original novel was Clive King.

Stig, with the book (and TV adaptations) being Stig of the Dump.

Loki wrote:

You're looking for a role played by someone who was the Doctor in Doctor Who, and someone else who was one of the notable pirates in Pirates of the Caribbean.

The character is living scarecrow Worzel Gummidge, First appearing in a string of novels that started in 1936:
First adapted to TV in the BBC's Worzel Gummidge Turns Detective in 1953:
In 1979 Jon Pertwee took up the role. Though better known for Doctor Who

and prior to that best known for a long run in the comedy The Navy Lark (visible pulling a face in the middle of the picture below)
he declared Worzel his favourite role:

Jon played the part through the 1980s. More recently, Mackenzie Crook has taken up the role. He's known for the UK version of The Office

but internationally is better known as one of the undead pirates in the original Pirates of the Caribbean trilogy
 Here's his version of Worzel.

Loki wrote:

Amazon are now breaking Netflix's promise.

The religious groups complained to Netflix. Netflix wasn't the company making the show. That was Amazon. So Netflix responded:

To which Netflix retorted:

Loki wrote:

The two actors are Boris Karloff and Christopher Lee.

Colonel March of Scotland Yard. March, played by Karloff, investigated outre crimes, and in an early episode the culprit proved to be Christopher Lee. Here they are: Karloff left and Lee right:

Loki wrote:

The series' title was a single four letter word associated with dogs.

Woof!

Board footera