Who Watches the Watchers - Forum for the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe & Similar Works 20 YEARS! 2004-2024

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/25/2020 7:55 am  #91

Re: The OHOTMU Trivia Game

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

Final call! Answers tomorrow. Remaining questions:
4. In all Handbooks that give them a full entry, two characters who adopted this alias appear under their original costumed alias, not the later identity (and what are they listed as)?

I'd imagine it's Spirit of '76 and Patriot (Mace), both of whom were last active under the Captain America codename. 

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

10. What category in Master Edition came closest to History, without being quite the same?

Can't remember the exact terminology used, but presumably the "significant issues" list.

4/25/2020 8:01 am  #92

4. Correct. Spirit of '76 actually died as Cap, while the Patriot briefly used the identity one last time a little while before dying of cancer, confirming that to be his last costumed identity.
10. Correct. skippcomet was basically right about the Bibliography, but Significant Issues was the actual term used.

My photostream (over 7.5 million photos!)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24917258@N05/

4/26/2020 6:00 am  #93

The remaining answers:
2. Vol. 3 Crusader through Dark Angel page 1 repeat.
8. Fantastic Four (he appeared a few times in story, such as when Dr. Doom met him and Kirby).
9. Inhumans, which updated the Genealogy of the House of Agon.
11. Punisher's Van. I once visited Elliot R. Brown's website and noticed he credited though schematics as having come from Punisher Armory (#1?)
15. Turner D. Century (placed alphabetically under Century)

4/26/2020 6:37 am  #94

One quick question:
Which characters appear twice on the covers of the Deluxe run? Note that this is not a reference to characters able to duplicate themselves, such as Multiple Man.

4/27/2020 7:21 am  #95

Loki wrote:

One quick question:
Which characters appear twice on the covers of the Deluxe run? Note that this is not a reference to characters able to duplicate themselves, such as Multiple Man.

Hmm, playing fair and going by memory and not actually looking at the covers, I think the Beast was one of them. I know why characters would be on two covers, it's just hard to visualize specific characters from memory.

4/27/2020 9:28 am  #96

All questions relate to the Premiere hardcover series, though of course the hardcovers tie into other handbooks. As shorthand, when I discussed profiles being brought over from earlier handbooks, it’s assumed there were likely revisions, so I don’t necessarily mean they were brought over untouched. I came up with 16 questions. So next time I screw up a non-themed trivia set, the replacement question has already been asked. ;)

1. Which team name, derived from three different earlier Handbooks, thus resulted in three team entries? So not a case of an existing team name being split in three, but three profiles from an earlier handbooks all making it in to the hardcover?
2. This entry, when brought to the hardcovers, was split into four profiles, exactly one of which is a four-pager.
3. When this Marvel Pets entry was brought to the hardcovers, it was expanded to a full page, with lots of headshots added.
4. This profile in volume 2 was actually reduced in size when moved over to the hardcovers.
5. While most entries whose names began with a number (as opposed to a word that spells out a number) were in volume 1, which entry was an exception to this?
6. Which was the first letter not to have any ½-pagers?
7. Members of which team were switched from code names to real names for their hardcover profiles?
8. What did the three 21st century Handbooks that did not make it into the hardcovers despite being published before the hardcovers have in common?
9. For one Handbook where about half the book made it into the hardcover, what did most (not all) the profiles that made it over have in common?
10. Which book published while the hardcovers were in progress  required its entries to be reformatted to proper Handbook format before appearing in the hardcovers?
11. Which early team profile was derived from a single paragraph from a pre-hardcover profile?
12. For which character was an entry devoted to their costumes simply folded into the character’s own profile when moved to the hardcovers?
13. If you remove the dust jackets, what colour is the letting on the cover for most volumes?
14. For what entry was an entire page from the Deluxe Edition turned into an entire page in the hardcovers?
15. Under which of his many code names (or real name) can you find a profile for Henry Pym?
16. In one case two characters pre-hardcover were listed under the same name even though it was incorrect for one of them, but this was corrected when they were split off into separate entries for the hardcovers. Which two characters?

4/27/2020 10:19 am  #97

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

8. What did the three 21st century Handbooks that did not make it into the hardcovers despite being published before the hardcovers have in common?
10. Which book published while the hardcovers were in progress  required its entries to be reformatted to proper Handbook format before appearing in the hardcovers?
12. For which character was an entry devoted to their costumes simply folded into the character’s own profile when moved to the hardcovers?
15. Under which of his many code names (or real name) can you find a profile for Henry Pym?

8. They covered the Ultimate universe?
10. Encyclopedia Mythologica?
12. Wasp?
15. Wasp?

4/27/2020 11:31 am  #98

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

Loki wrote:

One quick question:

Hmm, playing fair and going by memory and not actually looking at the covers, I think the Beast was one of them. I know why characters would be on two covers, it's just hard to visualize specific characters from memory.

Beast is, indeed, one of them.

4/27/2020 12:52 pm  #99

zuckyd1 wrote:

8. They covered the Ultimate universe?
10. Encyclopedia Mythologica?
12. Wasp?
15. Wasp?

8. Correct. None of the Ultimate handbooks were used in the hardcovers.
10. Correct, or to use the full title, Thor & Hercules: Encyclopedia Mythologica
12. I can see why you would think there might have been a separate profile for Wasp's Costumes, but no, those costumes were from a previous profile of the Wasp herself..
15. That said, Henry Pym was indeed the other Wasp at the time, so correct on that one.

4/27/2020 10:36 pm  #100

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

All questions relate to the Premiere hardcover series, though of course the hardcovers tie into other handbooks. As shorthand, when I discussed profiles being brought over from earlier handbooks, it’s assumed there were likely revisions, so I don’t necessarily mean they were brought over untouched. I came up with 16 questions. So next time I screw up a non-themed trivia set, the replacement question has already been asked. ;)

1. Which team name, derived from three different earlier Handbooks, thus resulted in three team entries? So not a case of an existing team name being split in three, but three profiles from an earlier handbooks all making it in to the hardcover?
2. This entry, when brought to the hardcovers, was split into four profiles, exactly one of which is a four-pager.
3. When this Marvel Pets entry was brought to the hardcovers, it was expanded to a full page, with lots of headshots added.
5. While most entries whose names began with a number (as opposed to a word that spells out a number) were in volume 1, which entry was an exception to this?
6. Which was the first letter not to have any ½-pagers?
7. Members of which team were switched from code names to real names for their hardcover profiles?
9. For one Handbook where about half the book made it into the hardcover, what did most (not all) the profiles that made it over have in common?
11. Which early team profile was derived from a single paragraph from a pre-hardcover profile?

1. Omega Flight?
2. Hyperion
3. Ant-Man's Ants
5. 8-Ball
6. Q
7. The Runaways (not to be confused with the band of the same name)
9. They were entries on members of the multiverse-hopping Exiles
11. Battle-Axis
12. Spider-Man (Parker-616)

#14 is bit confusing.  Why would turning "an entire page from the Deluxe Edition...into an entire page in the hardcovers" be unusual?

Last edited by skippcomet (4/27/2020 10:40 pm)

4/28/2020 3:14 am  #101

1. Incorrect
2. Correct
3. Correct
5. Correct, though I overlooked that there are actually two answers, so there's also another character
6. Correct
7. Correct
9;. Correct
11. Incorrect; Battle Axis previously shared the entry with Super-Axis and was included in the art. In the instance I am thinking of, it was pretty much an entirely new entry from that one paragraph,barring the odd word.
12. Correct

Re: 14, the only cases where a full page moving to the hardcovers unaltered were normally from the 21st century handbooks. Taking a full page from the Deluxe Edition and moving it over unaltered (except for the colours looking different on the whiter paper) and not adding anything else to the page is a lot more unusual. Art and schematics from Deluxe is not uncommon, but a full page is.

4/28/2020 4:16 am  #102

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

Ah, I think I know which entry you mean. However, if it is the entry that I think it is, I wrote it, so I don't think it is fair for me to answer this one. I'll wait until the correct answer is given to confirm.

5/02/2020 10:02 am  #103

Loki wrote:

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

Loki wrote:

One quick question:

Beast is, indeed, one of them.

Calling 24 hours notice on this. Beast is one of the characters who appears twice, but he's not the only one, so there's a few more to go.

5/03/2020 7:04 am  #104

Last call for my questions. Here's what's left on the board:
4. This profile in volume 2 was actually reduced in size when moved over to the hardcovers.
5. While most entries whose names began with a number (as opposed to a word that spells out a number) were in volume 1, which entry was an exception to this? [Aside from 8-Ball]
13. If you remove the dust jackets, what colour is the letting on the cover for most volumes?
14. For what entry was an entire page from the Deluxe Edition turned into an entire page in the hardcovers?
16. In one case two characters pre-hardcover were listed under the same name even though it was incorrect for one of them, but this was corrected when they were split off into separate entries for the hardcovers. Which two characters?

5/03/2020 1:16 pm  #105

I still won't cheat with Loki's question by looking at the covers, but I know the answers all involve limbs overlapping between the right side of the front cover for one issue and the left side of the following issue. Sometimes the limbs act as a sneak peak of who's to come next issue, other times they act as a reminder of who was in the previous issue. So essentially #1-15 joined together make up one extremely wide poster. With the first series the images eventually went back to the left below an earlier issue, but with Deluxe it was always across.

5/03/2020 2:23 pm  #106

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

I still won't cheat with Loki's question by looking at the covers, but I know the answers all involve limbs overlapping between the right side of the front cover for one issue and the left side of the following issue. Sometimes the limbs act as a sneak peak of who's to come next issue, other times they act as a reminder of who was in the previous issue. So essentially #1-15 joined together make up one extremely wide poster. With the first series the images eventually went back to the left below an earlier issue, but with Deluxe it was always across.

Nope, it's not the limbs - it's full on appearing twice. And since time is up, the answer is: Beast, Cyclops, Marvel Girl and Iceman. 
Here's Beast

Here's Cyclops

Iceman

and Marvel Girl
And here are all four again, together as X-Factor

No Angel. Not sure without checking if he was dead at the time.

5/03/2020 2:57 pm  #107

That my guess being correct was just a coincidence since you weren't counting limbs; I had forgotten about X-Factor but had recalled seeing Beast's foot on the cover of #1. I just checked the entry and it was before the plane explosion. Most likely it was a space thing that caused him to be omitted.

5/03/2020 3:07 pm  #108

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

That my guess being correct was just a coincidence since you weren't counting limbs; I had forgotten about X-Factor but had recalled seeing Beast's foot on the cover of #1. I just checked the entry and it was before the plane explosion. Most likely it was a space thing that caused him to be omitted.

Actually, I just noticed that he's on the cover with X-Factor - his wings are visible at the top, where the page overlaps with #1 and the letter A. So that might be the reason - it's weird enough to have the others repeated, but for Angel to appear twice on the same cover?!?

5/04/2020 6:57 am  #109

The remaining answers:

1. Which team name, derived from three different earlier Handbooks, thus resulted in three team entries? So not a case of an existing team name being split in three, but three profiles from an earlier handbooks all making it in to the hardcover?'

Heroes for Hire. The Power Man & Iron Fist version came from Marvel Legacy: 1980s, the Oracle Inc. version came from Teams 2005, and the Misty & Colleen version came from All-New Update #4.

Baroness S'Bak. The rule was that for Handbook entries the hardcover version had to at least mach the original in size, but S'Bak came from Annihilation: Nova Corps Files, so a Files book.

5. While most entries whose names began with a number (as opposed to a word that spells out a number) were in volume 1, which entry was an exception to this? [Aside from 8-Ball]

3-D Man.

The Brotherhood (derived from a paragraph in Teams 2005's Brotherhood of Mutants entry).

Red.

Hobgoblin (Kingsley). The page with the Goblin-Grenade, Throwing Bat, Glove-Blaster, Pumpkin Bomb, and Bat-Glider was lifted from Deluxe #5.

All-New #4 had an entry for Frog-Man which aside from covering Eugene Patilio, also covered his father Vincent, who was actually Leap-Frog.

5/04/2020 5:25 pm  #110

In order to make it faster for me to come up with questions from memory, I'm including Index questions this time. Which of course means that anyone else is also free to ask index questions.

1. What is Fight Man’s page count in the hardcovers?
2. In which handbook did the amnesiac Skrull Captain Marvel first get a profile?
3. The back pages of which series are generally considered to be where the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe first started.
4. The First Appearance listing for one character in the most recent (five issue) Update series overlooked a single panel appearance decades earlier. Which character?
5. Which major character in the 2008 Iron Man movie didn’t get a profile until the Incredible Hulk/Iron Man 2 Guidebook?
6. Who was most prominent in the front cover to Master Edition #1?
7. Who was the first Superman analogue to get a profile in a Marvel Handbook?
8. A future Thor first got a full profile in Update ’89 under what name?
9. Under what name was the Red She-Hulk first profiled in a Handbook in any sort of way?
10. Which character described as deceased in their ¼-page Squadron Supreme sub-entry subsequently turned up alive?
11. What was the most recent Index trade devoted to?
12. Who wrote the earliest Index titles published by Marvel?
13. Which villain who shares the same code name as heroes first got an entry in the hardcovers? Three heroes with the same name have also gotten Handbook profiles but no other villains.
14. Which Eternal got an entry in Golden Age 2004 and under what name?
15. Which Baghdad analogue got an Appendix entry in Marvel Atlas #2?

5/04/2020 5:39 pm  #111

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

3. The back pages of which series are generally considered to be where the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe first started.
4. The First Appearance listing for one character in the most recent (five issue) Update series overlooked a single panel appearance decades earlier. Which character?
5. Which major character in the 2008 Iron Man movie didn’t get a profile until the Incredible Hulk/Iron Man 2 Guidebook?
6. Who was most prominent in the front cover to Master Edition #1?
8. A future Thor first got a full profile in Update ’89 under what name?
10. Which character described as deceased in their ¼-page Squadron Supreme sub-entry subsequently turned up alive?
11. What was the most recent Index trade devoted to?
12. Who wrote the earliest Index titles published by Marvel?
14. Which Eternal got an entry in Golden Age 2004 and under what name?

3. Marvel Super-Heroes Contest of Champions
4. King Arthur?
5. James Rhodes?
6. Spider-Man?
7. Gladiator?
8. Jane Kincaid?
10. Tom Thumb?
11. Wolverine
12. George Olshevsky
14. Makkari/Hurricane?

5/04/2020 6:00 pm  #112

For which character who has an Index tpb devoted to him were a significant number of his solo stories actually covered in another character's Index trade, and who is that second character?

5/04/2020 6:06 pm  #113

What reference work contained a section titled "Alternate Earths Appendix"?

5/04/2020 6:29 pm  #114

Where can the largest entry for Midtown High School be found?

5/04/2020 8:53 pm  #115

zuckyd1 wrote:

3. Marvel Super-Heroes Contest of Champions
4. King Arthur?
5. James Rhodes?
6. Spider-Man?
7. Gladiator?
8. Jane Kincaid?
10. Tom Thumb?
11. Wolverine
12. George Olshevsky
14. Makkari/Hurricane?

3. Correct (actually Marvel Super-Hero Contest of Champions but close enough)
4. Incorrect
5. Correct, probably due to the change in actors
6. Correct
7. Incorrect. He is a Superman/Superboy analogue, but not the first to get covered.
8. Very close, just need to tweak the answer a little.
10. Incorrect. As far as I knew he's still dead of cancer.
11. Correct
12.  Correct
14. Both parts correct.

5/04/2020 9:01 pm  #116

zuckyd1 wrote:

For which character who has an Index tpb devoted to him were a significant number of his solo stories actually covered in another character's Index trade, and who is that second character?

Many of Captain America's adventures were in the Iron Man trade under Tales of Suspense.

zuckyd1 wrote:

Hmm, while a number of reference works have such an Appendix, I think it was the Fantastic Four Encyclopedia that used that specific title.

5/04/2020 11:42 pm  #117

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

Aquarian.

5/05/2020 5:04 am  #118

Loki wrote:

Aquarian.

Correct. Easy to overlook him because his powers as Aquarian are a bit different, but as Wundarr he was definitely a Superman analogue in terms of powers, and of course his Superman-like origin hasn't changed.

5/05/2020 8:22 am  #119

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

zuckyd1 wrote:

Many of Captain America's adventures were in the Iron Man trade under Tales of Suspense.

zuckyd1 wrote:

Hmm, while a number of reference works have such an Appendix, I think it was the Fantastic Four Encyclopedia that used that specific title.

Both answers are correct.

5/05/2020 8:23 am  #120

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

zuckyd1 wrote:

8. Jane Kincaid?

8. Very close, just need to tweak the answer a little.

Jane Foster Kincaid?

Board footera