Who Watches the Watchers - Forum for the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe & Similar Works 20 YEARS! 2004-2024

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/13/2022 1:05 pm  #1

Handbook profiles announcement - Marvel Voices: Pride 2022

Just been given permission that the handbookers can let the public know there are some more Handbook profiles on the way. Marvel Voices: Pride#1 (2022) will include six brand new profiles alongside the new stories within. As ever, good sales may encourage the chance of more profiles in other publications, or even full new handbooks, so please do feel free to promote this to other handbook fans and to ask your retailers to put an order in - deadline for retailers to do so is the 16th, so don't delay!

5/13/2022 2:49 pm  #2

Re: Handbook profiles announcement - Marvel Voices: Pride 2022

Good to see new profiles coming! I know you cant comment on who but i'm guessing 2 of the profiled will be Somnus and Escapade.

5/15/2022 11:46 am  #3

The Marvel Voices one-shots seem an especially good place to put Handbook profiles. (Not that there are any bad places to put Handbook profiles.)

5/15/2022 12:29 pm  #4

This is great! I love last year's Marvel's Voices: Pride, so now knowing the 2022 version includes handbook profiles as well, I can't wait!

6/18/2022 5:50 am  #5

I'm going to be endeavouring to pick up a copy or two, if I can. I may have seen this post too late!

I remain

6/18/2022 4:23 pm  #6

frogoat wrote:

I'm going to be endeavouring to pick up a copy or two, if I can. I may have seen this post too late!

It's set to come out Wed June 22.

6/21/2022 1:34 am  #7

Lonewolf36 wrote:

frogoat wrote:

It's set to come out Wed June 22.

What's odd is not only did I order it just the other day, but it arrived in the mail today earlier than it's release date! Lovely to see the handbook profiles in the back, even if I don't love the over use of images in the entries themselves. Great work, team! I look forward to more of these in future publications, I'll follow the handbook team where ever that may lead.

I remain

6/21/2022 10:13 am  #8

Looking forward to the new profiles tomorrow!

6/22/2022 2:53 am  #9

I'm curious what led to these new profiles being commissioned, if anyone is free to say?

I remain

6/22/2022 3:35 am  #10

Who got profiles? I can't pick my copy up till later.

Last edited by Lonewolf36 (6/22/2022 3:36 am)

6/22/2022 3:41 am  #11

Since it came out today, I can share who is covered.

Kyle Jinadu-Beaubier - 2 pages
Jumbo Carnation - 2 pages
Escapade - 1 page
Somnus - 1 page
Valkyrie (Runa) - 2 pages
Viv Vision - 4 pages

6/22/2022 3:45 am  #12

Loki wrote:

Escapade - 1 page
Somnus - 1 page
Viv Vision - 4 pages

Nice! Thank You!

6/28/2022 11:43 am  #13

Loki wrote:

Escapade - 1 page
Somnus - 1 page
Viv Vision - 4 pages

I really love it this Marvel's Voices edition got some Handbook profiles!
I also love the list, especially Kyle Jinadu-Beaubier!
Personally I find it odd Escapade got their own entry since they were just first introduced in the very same issue. I would rather see a profile of Jesse Drake. And instead of 4 pages for Viv Vision I'd love to see her just having 2 pages which would give space for another LGBTQ+ character or two. But those are just trifles, overall I love this and I hope more Handbook entries will follow!

6/29/2022 9:22 am  #14

Rayeye wrote:

Loki wrote:

Escapade - 1 page
Somnus - 1 page
Viv Vision - 4 pages

I really love it this Marvel's Voices edition got some Handbook profiles!
I also love the list, especially Kyle Jinadu-Beaubier!
Personally I find it odd Escapade got their own entry since they were just first introduced in the very same issue. I would rather see a profile of Jesse Drake. And instead of 4 pages for Viv Vision I'd love to see her just having 2 pages which would give space for another LGBTQ+ character or two. But those are just trifles, overall I love this and I hope more Handbook entries will follow!

I agree about the weirdness of Escapade getting an entry in the same book they first appeared in.  I guess this means there are plans to use them in the future, but shouldn't they accumulate appearances, history, and development first before getting an entry?  I'm going to assume their entry was a mandate by editorial.

As for Viv Vision and the page count of their entry, I think the only way she could have gotten a 2-page entry instead of 4 pages is if her entry was done in the previous, X-Men 2004-Secret Wars handbook style with the much smaller type.  That is, if you want to do justice to her history and extensive character development.  Kyle and Jumbo may have each been introduced years before her, but she's made more appearances and had more development than any of the other characters who got entries in this issue.  Plus, all the artwork needed to show all the different costumes and/or appearances she's had.  At least she's not in Janet van Dyne territory!

I'd also like to comment on how the entries themselves were organized this time around.  I think this may be as close as we might get to a good synthesis of the two different styles for handbook entries.  Moving the biographical information and the main character image back to the top or front of the entry is an immense improvement, IMO, over literally putting them at the bottom or back of the entries, even if the main image is still smaller than it used to be.

7/17/2022 3:54 am  #15

skippcomet wrote:

I agree about the weirdness of Escapade getting an entry in the same book they first appeared in.  I guess this means there are plans to use them in the future, but shouldn't they accumulate appearances, history, and development first before getting an entry?  I'm going to assume their entry was a mandate by editorial.

As for Viv Vision and the page count of their entry, I think the only way she could have gotten a 2-page entry instead of 4 pages is if her entry was done in the previous, X-Men 2004-Secret Wars handbook style with the much smaller type.  That is, if you want to do justice to her history and extensive character development.  Kyle and Jumbo may have each been introduced years before her, but she's made more appearances and had more development than any of the other characters who got entries in this issue.  Plus, all the artwork needed to show all the different costumes and/or appearances she's had.  At least she's not in Janet van Dyne territory!

I'd also like to comment on how the entries themselves were organized this time around.  I think this may be as close as we might get to a good synthesis of the two different styles for handbook entries.  Moving the biographical information and the main character image back to the top or front of the entry is an immense improvement, IMO, over literally putting them at the bottom or back of the entries, even if the main image is still smaller than it used to be.

I agree the different style mash-up for the layout of the entries is nicer than the last handbook. Much more familiar yet also modernised once again, though I still want the text and line spacing to be smaller. I am fine with the other changes, I just want to get more information onto the page. I sincerely hope we see more of these soon, everyone!

I remain

Board footera