Who Watches the Watchers - Forum for the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe & Similar Works 20 YEARS! 2004-2024

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/06/2020 8:24 am  #1

The Who’s Who Trivia Game

So as not to overload this page with trivia questions, during weeks where I do Who’s Who questions I’ll skip OHOTMU trivia, though of course others are welcome to add questions to that thread. This is of course for the DC equivalent series.
Questions this round all relate to the first series.
1. How many issues did the first series last?
2. Entries related to this non-canonical series appear off and on throughout, including the first and last issue.
3. Who drew the Batman I entry?
4. Who was the first character (as opposed to team) to get a two-page entry?
5. Who appeared in the beginning of the series (the first entry)?
6. Who was the first entry in #2?
7. Whose Marital Status was listed as Incompatible?
8. The final issue did a brief second sweep of the alphabet. What was the first entry after the letter Z?
9. Which entry was drawn by Fred Hembeck?
10. Which member of the Zoo Crew got a ½-pager instead of a full page?
11. Under what entry can you find the Daily Planet’s best known photographer?
12. How were the inside back covers used?
13. Who penciled the Demon entry?
14. Which hero team that got an entry had two Kryptonians, both male? Full team, not just a duo.
15. Which entry immediately followed Forgotten Heroes?

My photostream (over 7.5 million photos!)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24917258@N05/

6/06/2020 1:24 pm  #2

Re: The Who’s Who Trivia Game

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

So as not to overload this page with trivia questions, during weeks where I do Who’s Who questions I’ll skip OHOTMU trivia, though of course others are welcome to add questions to that thread. This is of course for the DC equivalent series.
2. Entries related to this non-canonical series appear off and on throughout, including the first and last issue.

1. 24?
2. Atari Force?

6/06/2020 2:41 pm  #3

zuckyd1 wrote:

1. 24?
2. Atari Force?

1. Incorrect. That was actually the original plan but it didn't work out that way.
2. Correct

6/07/2020 6:03 pm  #4

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

4. Who was the first character (as opposed to team) to get a two-page entry?
5. Who appeared in the beginning of the series (the first entry)?
6. Who was the first entry in #2?
8. The final issue did a brief second sweep of the alphabet. What was the first entry after the letter Z?
9. Which entry was drawn by Fred Hembeck?
10. Which member of the Zoo Crew got a ½-pager instead of a full page?
11. Under what entry can you find the Daily Planet’s best known photographer?
12. How were the inside back covers used?
13. Who penciled the Demon entry?
14. Which hero team that got an entry had two Kryptonians, both male? Full team, not just a duo.
15. Which entry immediately followed Forgotten Heroes?

1. 26
4. Flash II (Barry Allen)
5. Abel
6. Automan
8. Angel & the Ape
9. Zoot Sputnik!
10. Little Cheese
11. Elastic Lad
12. Telling the reader where characters covered in each issue could then be found in current or upcoming DC Comics
13. Jack Kirby
14. The Legion of Super-Pets
15, Forgotten Villains

6/07/2020 6:28 pm  #5

skippcomet wrote:

1. 26
4. Flash II (Barry Allen)
5. Abel
6. Automan
8. Angel & the Ape
9. Zoot Sputnik!
10. Little Cheese
11. Elastic Lad
12. Telling the reader where characters covered in each issue could then be found in current or upcoming DC Comics
13. Jack Kirby
14. The Legion of Super-Pets
15, Forgotten Villains

All those are correct.

Who's Who was originally supposed to be 24 issues, but they ran out of space and needed an extra two issues, with the last one doing a second run through the alphabet. Of course we would never see another reference series also run over by two with a second run through the alphabet in the last book; the odds against that happening twice would be ridiculously low.

With Abel, I deliberately wrote "in the beginning" as a reference to Genesis, since he's generally considered to be the Biblical Abel.

Elastic Lad is of course Jimmy Olsen, but he was indeed profiled under his occasionally used heroic name.

The specific two Legion of Super Pets members from Krypton are Krypto the Super-Dog and Beppo the Super-Monkey.

6/12/2020 6:48 am  #6

Calling a day's notice on the last two questions:

6/13/2020 4:33 am  #7

Dave Gibbons, in a nice retro style.

Ambush Bug

6/13/2020 5:07 am  #8

All versions of Who's Who fair game this time (I inccluded an extra question to avoid downplaying the original series too muich):

1. For Update '87 and Update '88, how were characters, etc. previously covered but given a new profile designated?
2. In what issue of which title can you find a separate section on Supporting characters?
3. For which profile in the looseleaf series were there none of the usual stats? And what was written instead?
4. Which Who's Who series was reprinted in full in a DVD-ROM?
5. Who drew Proty for Who's Who in the Legion?
6. For the original series, who drew Turtle Man?
7. What animal team (beyond just humans/humanoids) had an entry for their headquarters?
8. Who drew the Justice Society for Update '93?
9. What was the first entry in Update '87 #1?
10. List every Watchmen-related entry in Update '87.
11. For the looseleaf Who's Who, who drew Kanjar Ro?
12. In Who's Who in the Legion, which Legion member had both a regular entry and a smaller sub-entry as a villain under a different name?
13. What colour was the background to the cover of Update '88 #1?
14. Which two characters in the first issue of the first series had separate stats but shared the same image?
15. In which Who's Who series can you find a character whose real name is Hit Coffee?
16. How many Luthor entries were in the first Who's Who series?

6/13/2020 7:33 am  #9

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

All versions of Who's Who fair game this time (I inccluded an extra question to avoid downplaying the original series too muich):
4. Which Who's Who series was reprinted in full in a DVD-ROM?

Star Trek

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

7. What animal team (beyond just humans/humanoids) had an entry for their headquarters?

Legion of Super Pets?

6/13/2020 9:10 am  #10

4. Correct. Both issues were in a Gitcorp DVD-ROM that collected all US Star Trek comics from any publisher up to a little before the DVD-ROM came out.

7. Incorrect.  If memory serves the Legion of Super-Pets had no fixed headquarters and just showed up together as emergencies required.

6/14/2020 4:03 pm  #11

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

1. For Update '87 and Update '88, how were characters, etc. previously covered but given a new profile designated?
2. In what issue of which title can you find a separate section on Supporting characters?
3. For which profile in the looseleaf series were there none of the usual stats? And what was written instead?
8. Who drew the Justice Society for Update '93?
9. What was the first entry in Update '87 #1?
10. List every Watchmen-related entry in Update '87.
12. In Who's Who in the Legion, which Legion member had both a regular entry and a smaller sub-entry as a villain under a different name?
16. How many Luthor entries were in the first Who's Who series?

1. An "Updated" banner
 2. Issue #4 of Update '88
 3. The entry on Death (of the Endless), but I don't remember what it said
 6. Paris Cullins?
 8. Mike Parobeck (RIP)
 9. All-Star Squadron (Update)
10. Minutemen and Watchmen
11. Tim Truman
12. Mysa Nal got a regular entry as the White Witch and a sub-entry as The Hag for the Devil's Dozen
16. Four

6/14/2020 5:15 pm  #12

skippcomet wrote:

1. An "Updated" banner
 2. Issue #4 of Update '88
 3. The entry on Death (of the Endless), but I don't remember what it said
 6. Paris Cullins?
 8. Mike Parobeck (RIP)
 9. All-Star Squadron (Update)
10. Minutemen and Watchmen
11. Tim Truman
12. Mysa Nal got a regular entry as the White Witch and a sub-entry as The Hag for the Devil's Dozen
16. Four

1. A banner, yes, but it didn't say Updated
2. Correct
3. Correct as to which entry it is. Given that, can anyone figure out what it said?
6, Incorrect
8. Correct
9. Correct, except it didn't say Update. But essentially that's the right answer.
10. Correct, just those two
11. Incorrect
12. Correct (Alexei of Earth-2, Lex of Earth-1, Alexander of Earth-3, Alexander Jr. of Earth-3, in that order).

6/19/2020 6:45 am  #13

Calling a day on the following:
3. For which profile in the looseleaf series were there none of the usual stats? And what was written instead? [Death correctly answered, but quote still up for grabs)
14. Which two characters in the first issue of the first series had separate stats but shared the same image?
15. In which Who's Who series can you find a character whose real name is Hit Coffee?

6/20/2020 6:32 am  #14

Remaining answers:
Revised

3. For which profile in the looseleaf series were there none of the usual stats? And what was written instead? [Death correctly answered, but quote still up for grabs)
One day you'll meet her. You can find out for yourself. I would have accepted any answer that was close to that effect.

Mark Waid, not normally known for drawing characters

Peter Laird, co-creator of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

Zoo Crew, all anthropomorphic animals. Hope the humanoid didn't throw people off; I meant characters like Superman who look human and are animals of sort but aren't true humans.

Tim Bradstreet. I liked his art on the entry, but he was embarrassed when I asked him to autograph the sheet.

Blue

Aquagirl and Aqualad, who were a couple.

!mpact Who's Who

6/20/2020 6:38 am  #15

More on any version of Who’s Who. I considered switching back to handbook questions, but I wanted to make sure the new handbook announcement remained visible for anyone who hadn’t seen it yet.

1. Who is the first entry in first series #4?
2. Where did the Dan Garrett version of Blue Beetle first get an entry?
3. Who drew Sarek for Who’s Who in Star Trek?
4. How many issues were there of !mpact Who’s Who?
5. What was the closest that Who’s Who came to covering the Earth-1 Superman?
6. Which character in Who’s Who in the Legion first appeared disguised as another character before being revealed to be an imposter many issues later?
7. Which Atari Force character appeared in first series #26?
8. Who appeared on the front cover of the final issue of the looseleaf Who’s Who (other than the update or !mpact titles)?
9. Who was the editor for the first looseleaf Who’s Who series?
10. Who pencilled the Jonah Hex entry for the original series?
11. Which Bat character in first series #2 had no significant connection to Batman?
12. Who drew Etta Candy for Update ’88?
13. Before the restart of the alphabet in first series #26, what was the last Z entry?
14. Who was the earliest character (in terms of first appearance in comics, so not necessarily mythological deities) to get an entry?
15. In the first series, who shared a page with the Duke of Deception?

6/22/2020 9:07 am  #16

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

More on any version of Who’s Who. I considered switching back to handbook questions, but I wanted to make sure the new handbook announcement remained visible for anyone who hadn’t seen it yet.

1. Who is the first entry in first series #4?
2. Where did the Dan Garrett version of Blue Beetle first get an entry?
3. Who drew Sarek for Who’s Who in Star Trek?
4. How many issues were there of !mpact Who’s Who?
5. What was the closest that Who’s Who came to covering the Earth-1 Superman?
6. Which character in Who’s Who in the Legion first appeared disguised as another character before being revealed to be an imposter many issues later?
7. Which Atari Force character appeared in first series #26?
8. Who appeared on the front cover of the final issue of the looseleaf Who’s Who (other than the update or !mpact titles)?
11. Which Bat character in first series #2 had no significant connection to Batman?
13. Before the restart of the alphabet in first series #26, what was the last Z entry?
14. Who was the earliest character (in terms of first appearance in comics, so not necessarily mythological deities) to get an entry?
15. In the first series, who shared a page with the Duke of Deception?

1. The Cadre
2. Update '87 #1
3. John Byrne?
4. Three
5. The "pocket dimension" Superboy in Update '87
7. Blackjak
8. Batman
11. Bat Lash
13. Zyklon
14. Congo Bill
15. The Dummy

6/22/2020 9:44 am  #17

1-4 are correct.
5. Correct, but I forgot to add a caveat that I was thinking among people in the first series and overlooked that one. There is a kind of, sort of, barely partial entry for him in the original series. Can you guess? And this character is in fact the Earth-1 Superman, whereas the Pocket Universe Superboy's history eventually diverges.
7-8 are correct
11. Correct. I think they may have encountered each other in an issue of Justice League, which is what I hedged my bets on the phrasing of the question.
13. Correct.
14. Incorrect. Congo Bill first appeared in More Fun Comics #56 (June 1940), by which point a lot of early recurring DC characters had already appeared, including a few in Who's Who.\
15. Correct

6/22/2020 11:31 am  #18

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

Doctor Occult.

6/22/2020 5:05 pm  #19

Loki wrote:

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

Doctor Occult.

Correct. Doctor Occult first appeared in New Fun #6 (October 1935), just under three years before Superman, Tex Thomspon (who received an entry under Mr. America) and Zatara first appeared in Action Comics #1. His initial Who's Who entry actually came out just before he started appearing in All-Star Squadron, making the Who's Who entry the first time he had been seen in around 47 years. Fortunately he's continued to make appearances since and seems in no danger of being mothballed for another half century.

6/24/2020 6:21 am  #20

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

1-4 are correct.
5. Correct, but I forgot to add a caveat that I was thinking among people in the first series and overlooked that one. There is a kind of, sort of, barely partial entry for him in the original series. Can you guess? And this character is in fact the Earth-1 Superman, whereas the Pocket Universe Superboy's history eventually diverges.
7-8 are correct
11. Correct. I think they may have encountered each other in an issue of Justice League, which is what I hedged my bets on the phrasing of the question.
13. Correct.
14. Incorrect. Congo Bill first appeared in More Fun Comics #56 (June 1940), by which point a lot of early recurring DC characters had already appeared, including a few in Who's Who.\
15. Correct

5.  Ah, I think I get it: The original Nightwing of Kandor's Nightwing & Flamebird duo.

6/24/2020 6:49 am  #21

5. Correct; there aren't many stats for him, but you do get a few things like his first appearance as Nightwing, so sadly that's the closest the adult Earth-1 Superman ever got to an entry. And even that's better than Earth-1 Wonder Woman. It's curious that the Earth-1 versions of Superman and Wonder Woman were off limits due to how Crisis ended but their Earth-2 counterparts made it in.

6/26/2020 6:19 am  #22

Calling a day's notice on the remaining three. Can we get a clean sweep?

6/26/2020 7:20 am  #23

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

Calling a day's notice on the remaining three. Can we get a clean sweep?

9. Bob Greenberger?
10. Mark Texiera
12. George Perez?

6/26/2020 7:33 am  #24

9. Is incorrect, though he wrote a lot of profiles. I think he wrote all the profiles for the first issue of the never seen 2011 series before it was cancelled.
10 and 12 are both correct.

6/27/2020 6:22 am  #25

The remaining answer;
Who was the editor for the first looseleaf Who’s Who series?
Michael Eury, now editor of Retro-Fan and the long running Back Issue

Board footera