Who Watches the Watchers - Forum for the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe & Similar Works 20 YEARS! 2004-2024

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/27/2020 12:23 pm  #151

Re: The OHOTMU Trivia Game

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

3. Who shares a page with Kang's Time Ship?

Karkas.

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

5. What two sorts of ID appear on the inside back cover of #15?

Avengers and SHIELD.

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

6. Which individual character (not team) had an entry for their mansion?

Moon Knight?

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

7, What is the most important landmark in the map to Man-Things's Swamp?

Nexus of Realities.

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

9. Some of which Alien Race resemble a troll?

Laxadazians.

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

11. What was the Hawkman analogue called in the Squadron Supreme entry?

I think at that time he was American Eagle.

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

15. Much of this DC character analogue's Origin was later revealed to be false

Hyperion?

6/27/2020 7:59 pm  #152

3, 5,  6, 9 are correct.

7 is close enough: Nexus of All Realities

11. Incorrect. I think at the time the writers were still trying to settle on what his code name was, so the original series used a different code name.

15. Correct. At the time he was from another dimension; we later learned that the Grandmaster created him based on the Earth-S version. It's interesting to look at older Handbooks and find things that were right at the time they were published but were later proven false (in this case by the probable actual writer of the entry, since Mark Gruenwald made the change in the Squadron Supreme limited series).

My photostream (over 7.5 million photos!)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24917258@N05/

6/27/2020 11:25 pm  #153

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

11. Incorrect. I think at the time the writers were still trying to settle on what his code name was, so the original series used a different code name.

The character was nearly as bad as Hank Pym for going through identities. Running through them in my head, I'm fairly sure he was Blue Eagle by Deluxe, and he was Captain Hawk when he was under Serpent Crown and Overmind control but iirc he was also Condor between his Eagle phases (when I did an Appendix entry for Blue Condor I had to include two "not to be confused withs" for the Squadron's hawk man), so I'm going with that for the original handbook. 

6/28/2020 5:34 am  #154

Loki wrote:

The character was nearly as bad as Hank Pym for going through identities. Running through them in my head, I'm fairly sure he was Blue Eagle by Deluxe, and he was Captain Hawk when he was under Serpent Crown and Overmind control but iirc he was also Condor between his Eagle phases (when I did an Appendix entry for Blue Condor I had to include two "not to be confused withs" for the Squadron's hawk man), so I'm going with that for the original handbook. 

Condor is the correct answer. In some ways he was worse because he had so few appearances, whereas once Pym adopts an identity, you usually see him in it for an extended period of time (the only time that was true for James Dore was during the Squadron Supreme limited series). Definitely Blue Eagle by Deluxe Edition because the Squadron Supreme limited series had ended by the time the Deluxe Edition reached the Squadron Supreme entry, To be complete, when briefly mentioned in Contest of Champions, he was in his Cap'n Hawk phase.

7/06/2020 6:07 am  #155

Got a bit derailed and forgot to give a day's notice on Friday, so doing so today.

1. Which character has five different real names?
2. What is the background colour for the cover to #2?
4. What is the background colour for the cover to #4?
8. Which Appendix entry in #2 is for an Omega the Unknown foe?
10. Who shares a page with the second page of Squadron Supreme?
12. What is the last team (as opposed to group classification) to get an entry in the Book of the Dead and Inactive?
13. In the Book of the Dead and Inactive, a deceased (at the time) character is followed by an Inactive character with the same code name. Which code name?
14. What is Hamilton Slade listed as?

7/06/2020 6:44 am  #156

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

1. Which character has five different real names? 

1. Collective Man

7/06/2020 7:22 am  #157

1 is Correct. Five brothers who can merge into one body

7/07/2020 3:56 am  #158

Remaining answers
2. What is the background colour for the cover to #2?
Orange

4. What is the background colour for the cover to #4?
Light blue

8. Which Appendix entry in #2 is for an Omega the Unknown foe?
Blockbuster

10. Who shares a page with the second page of Squadron Supreme?
Star-Dancer

12. What is the last team (as opposed to group classification) to get an entry in the Book of the Dead and Inactive?
Liberty Legion (there were no teams in the second half of the alphabet in the second book)

13. In the Book of the Dead and Inactive, a deceased (at the time) character is followed by an Inactive character with the same code name. Which code name?
Red Guardian

14. What is Hamilton Slade listed as?
Night Rider (a shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man, possessed by ghosts).

7/07/2020 4:31 am  #159

All questions this round related to the Deluxe Edition. You might notice that some of the questions relate to things I spotted while indexing this series.
1. Which two issues listed off titles considered at the time to be in continuity?
2. How many pages, including sub-entries, was Squadron Supreme?
3. Which group profile profiled art for upcoming solo profiles?
4. Who drew the Alien Races?
5. Which alien race that was among the others in the first series got promoted to a full profile for Deluxe Edition?
6. Which Other Dimension carried over into the following issue, making it the only specific profile of sorts in all the Handbooks to be split in two?
7. What were the titles of the two Asgard maps?
8. Which profile had two main images for a character, each with a different costume?
9. Which two characters with the same code name got separate profiles in the Book of the Dead?
10. Which profile had altered Jim Steranko art as a secondary image?
11. Which was the first profile in the Deluxe Edition where the entire text was repeated word for word with no changes, and with the same image?
12. Which entry was immediately followed by a canine with the earlier entry as part of its name?
13. In the Avengers profile, who was revealed as joining the east coast team in an upcoming issue?
14. Which super-villain team got a profile prior to its first in-story appearance, with three of the five members also premiering here?
15. What was the name of the editorial piece explaining why certain characters didn’t receive profiles?

7/07/2020 4:34 am  #160

14 was Death Throws I believe. At the time only Oddball and Bombshell (I think) had already appeared.

7/07/2020 5:00 am  #161

14 is correct. Oddball and Bombshell had previously appeared in the Hawkeye limited series.

7/13/2020 5:06 am  #162

14 questions related to Deluxe Edition still on the board. Calling a day's notice.
1. Which two issues listed off titles considered at the time to be in continuity?
5. Which alien race that was among the others in the first series got promoted to a full profile for Deluxe Edition?
6. Which Other Dimension carried over into the following issue, making it the only specific profile of sorts in all the Handbooks to be split in two?
8. Which profile had two main images for a character, each with a different costume?
9. Which two characters with the same code name got separate profiles in the Book of the Dead?
11. Which was the first profile in the Deluxe Edition where the entire text was repeated word for word with no changes, and with the same image?
12. Which entry was immediately followed by a canine with the earlier entry as part of its name?
13. In the Avengers profile, who was revealed as joining the east coast team in an upcoming issue?
15. What was the name of the editorial piece explaining why certain characters didn’t receive profiles?

7/14/2020 5:00 am  #163

This round proved tougher than expected. Hopefully next round will be easier. Here are the remaining 14 answers.

#16-17

Elders of the Universe. If you look at the full figure image of the members, you'' recognize champion of the Universe (didn't get a Deluxe entry; art from first series), Collector (same art used in first series and Deluxe Edition), and Contemplator (new are from Deluxe Edition). That left three upcoming members. Grandmaster's art was same as first series and that was used for his entry. Gardener's art was drawn differently than the first series. This new art showed up again in his Deluxe edition profile. Possessor never got a full profile in the first series, His art here also proved to be his new profile art in the Deluxe Edition

Kyle Baker, presumably inked by Josef Rubinstein/

Rigellians

Hulk-Worlds

Asgard: The Continent, Asgard: The Nine Worlds

Spider-Man, who at the time was using both the red/blue costume and the black costume

Nighthawk (Squadron Supreme member, Squadron Sinister/Defenders member)

Baron Strucker. In his apparent death, Strucker was disguised as Nick Fury, so the art was altered to have the Nick Fury head cowl removed

Eternity. Doctor Doom's Castle came close, but Deluxe omitted a paragraph.

Fenris, followed by Fenris Wolf

Sub-Mariner

Omission Impossible

7/14/2020 5:22 am  #164

Questions this round relate to the Hardcover series, which in most cases brought together profiles from earlier 21st century handbooks, albeit often largely or completely rewritten. As such some of the questions relate to earlier titles by virtue of using them as source material for the handcovers.
1. This android had the same name as a character previously covered in a 21st century handbook but had not been previously covered themselves in that period.
2. Same question as above, but for a themed murderer rather than for an android.
3. The main art for Jack Frost came from which 20th century handbook series?
4. What is the first profile in volume 1?
5. What is the first profile devoted to a single character in volume 1?
6. What was the source Handbook for Dark Beast?
7. What was the source Handbook for Corps?
8. What was the source of most or all the deities in volume 14?
9. The volume 14 entry on the Netherlands had a capsule sub-entry on which superhero with a nearly identical name to a much more prominent Marvel hero?
10. What was the source Handbook for Blackie Gaxton?
11. What was the final profile in the Handcover series?
12. Why were there no ½-page profiles in volume 7?
13. In one case the Handbook writers were told that a character had retired their superhero code name, so the character ended up getting a profile under their real name instead even though it turns out that  they remained active under their code name after all (because the updated info happened after it was too late to change this back). Which character? [This was discussed in a thread for the hardcover they would have otherwise made it into].
14. When Thing Imposter was moved over to the Hardcovers, what was he listed as?
15. What was the Thing Imposter’s source Handbook?

7/14/2020 11:56 am  #165

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

6. What was the source Handbook for Dark Beast?
8. What was the source of most or all the deities in volume 14?
9. The volume 14 entry on the Netherlands had a capsule sub-entry on which superhero with a nearly identical name to a much more prominent Marvel hero? 

6. Age of Apocalypse Handbook?
7. Teams Handbook?
8. Thor/Hercules Encyclopedia Mythologica
9. Spider-Mann? (I'm just guessing what his name might be, but I think it's the Dutch Spider-Man knockoff.)

7/14/2020 5:31 pm  #166

6 is correct.
7 is incorrect. I did wonder if someone would guess that though and in fact avoided asking other questions about teams so that choice wouldn't be ruled out.
8 is correct.
9 is mostly correct (spelling is Spiderman but you had the right character).

7/20/2020 5:33 am  #167

Calling a day's notice on the following:
1. This android had the same name as a character previously covered in a 21st century handbook but had not been previously covered themselves in that period.
2. Same question as above, but for a themed murderer rather than for an android.
5. What is the first profile devoted to a single character in volume 1?
13. In one case the Handbook writers were told that a character had retired their superhero code name, so the character ended up getting a profile under their real name instead even though it turns out that  they remained active under their code name after all (because the updated info happened after it was too late to change this back). Which character? [This was discussed in a thread for the hardcover they would have otherwise made it into].
14. When Thing Imposter was moved over to the Hardcovers, what was he listed as?

7/21/2020 4:18 am  #168

Remaining answers:
Hate-Monger (Unger)

Foolkiller (Everbest)

Master Edition

1602 AD

5. What is the first profile devoted to a single character in volume 1?'
Abomination

Being a multiversal team, Alternate Universes 2005

Spider-Man: Back in Black

Mark Gruenwald

The volume was in the middle of the Ms

Ghost Rider (Dan Ketch)

Ricardo Jones

Marvel Legacy: 1960s

7/21/2020 4:42 am  #169

This round is devoted to Marvel Legacy. Interesting to think now that a Marvel Legacy book would now be possible for the first decade of the 2000s, which the modern Handbooks began.

1. Which volume was Infant Terrible in and what are they now known as?
2. Which volume was the Forbidden Land in and what is it now known as?
3. Which series is the cover to Marvel Legacy: 1980s an homage to?
4. Who pencilled the covers to Marvel Legacy: 1960s through 1980s?
5. Which character in Marvel Legacy: 1970s is listed under an alias they had discarded by 1979?
6. Which character in Marvel Legacy: 1970s first appeared in Giant-Size Man-Thing?
7. Which character in Marvel Legacy: 1990s is a younger version of a major Marvel hero?
8. Which character in Marvel Legacy: 1980s was created for a toy tie-in but was not themselves part of the toy line?
9. Which Marvel Legacy: 1960s profile has a descriptor that sounds like (but isn't) a reference to the character's dietary preference?
10. Which 2099 character appeared in Marvel Legacy: 1990s?
11. Which 2099 team appeared in Marvel Legacy: 1990s?
12. Which Marvel Legacy: 1960s profile covered the first two people to wear an armour?
13. What is the earliest (alphabetically) team profile in Marvel Legacy: 1970s to be in B&W?
14. Which profile and in which issue was for a crossover locale?
15. For which profile in which issue is the artist unknown? I don't mean cases where the artist is unlisted like headshots but where even if you looked at the source material you still wouldn't know
16. Aside from the trade which includes them on separate pages, which is the only issue to have art credits?

7/21/2020 4:50 am  #170

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

6. Which character in Marvel Legacy: 1970s first appeared in Giant-Size Man-Thing?
12. Which Marvel Legacy: 1960s profile covered the first two people to wear an armour?

6. Bessie the Hellcow?
12. Crimson Dynamo?
14. Rutland, 1970s?

7/21/2020 5:31 am  #171

6. Correct (listed under Hellcow)
12. Correct
14. Incorrect; although I've wanted to see such a profile for a while, the Rutland Halloween Parties have yet to be covered.

7/23/2020 12:31 pm  #172

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

This round is devoted to Marvel Legacy. Interesting to think now that a Marvel Legacy book would now be possible for the first decade of the 2000s, which the modern Handbooks began.

1. Which volume was Infant Terrible in and what are they now known as?
2. Which volume was the Forbidden Land in and what is it now known as?
3. Which series is the cover to Marvel Legacy: 1980s an homage to?
5. Which character in Marvel Legacy: 1970s is listed under an alias they had discarded by 1979?
8. Which character in Marvel Legacy: 1980s was created for a toy tie-in but was not themselves part of the toy line?
11. Which 2099 team appeared in Marvel Legacy: 1990s?
15. For which profile in which issue is the artist unknown? I don't mean cases where the artist is unlisted like headshots but where even if you looked at the source material you still wouldn't know

1. Marvel Legacy: 1960s Handbook; now known as the Delinquent
2. Marvel Legacy: 1960s Handbook; now known as El Dorado
3. The OHOTMU Deluxe Edition
5. Steve Rogers is listed as Nomad
8. Crystar
11. X-Men 2099
15. Mr. Zodiac in Marvel Legacy: 1970s Handbook (I'll be really surprised if his artist actually is known)

7/23/2020 5:36 pm  #173

Most of those are correct. However 8 was a trick question. Crystar was part of his toy line, so not him. Hopefully as what happened with Carl Barks, someday someone will track down the artist of Mr. Zodiac, maybe someone specializing in Big Little Books.

7/27/2020 7:48 am  #174

Calling a day on the remaining questions:
7. Which character in Marvel Legacy: 1990s is a younger version of a major Marvel hero?
9. Which Marvel Legacy: 1960s profile has a descriptor that sounds like (but isn't) a reference to the character's dietary preference?
13. What is the earliest (alphabetically) team profile in Marvel Legacy: 1970s to be in B&W?
16. Aside from the trade which includes them on separate pages, which is the only issue to have art credits?

7/28/2020 4:59 am  #175

Remaining answers
Sal Buscema

Iron Man (Teen Tony version)

U.S. Archer, created for the U.S.1 series.

Colossus (Vegan)

Ghost Rider (2099 AD)

Conspiracy

Battleworld, created for the original Secret Wars

1990s

9/28/2020 8:40 am  #176

All questions pertain to handbooks or handbook-like (Western Files, Civil War: Battle Damage Report, etc.) published by Marvel - so no DC's Who's Who or Dorling-Kindersley guides.

1. What alien race was the first to get profiled in the original Handbooks' Alien Races section?
2. What was the first alien race in the Alien Races' section to be depicted fully naked (e.g. not wearing a black thong/codpiece)?
3. In what publication did it first become the rule rather than the exception to include headshots for characters depicting (where available) their unmasked/powered down/untransformed faces? 
4. These days handbook entries detail the character's "History"; but what was the name of the equivalent entry in the original handbooks?
5. Some lines in the character bios have been merged or slightly renamed, but one has been dropped altogether since the original handbooks. Which one?
6. Which handbook entry was the first to introduce new information first revealed in that handbook and not gleaned from a prior comic story?
7. 20th century handbooks distinguished between characters using identical codenames with Roman numerals. Which entry (full entry, not Appendix profile) was the first to include the Roman numeral in the profile title?
8. And which entry was the first to have the Roman numeral used in the contents page? NB - may or may not be the same answer as 7.
9. A fairly general one - why did the 21st century handbooks abandon using the Roman numerals?
10. A two parter, as both are related to the same character. Which handbook volume first acknowledged that Captain Britain had appeared in a British comic before he appeared in an American one? And which volume actually provided readers with that British first appearance info?
11. Diablo's original handbook entry listed his place of birth as Saragossa, Spain. His more recent entries have changed this, but not because of any retcon shown in the comics. So why has it been changed?
12. One publication had a single entry massively out of alphabetical order. Which entry?
13. One entry for a team depicted members of said team not shown in the comics, and members who we had met in costumes they'd not previously been depicted in. Which entry? Note: I'm looking for a team; don't get mixed up with the answer for the next question.
14. Which publication depicted across multiple entries multiple characters not previously shown in the comics for the first time?
15. In the Legacy handbooks, one team was featured in every book. Which team?
16. Still in the Legacy handbooks, one character codename turned up in every book, though it wasn't necessarily the same character using said codename each time. What codename?
17. Still Legacy: Three of the books featured different characters who shared the same codename; one doesn't, but does include a character whose codename is a synonym of the one used in all three other books. Which codenames?
Added: 18. cf questions 7 and 8 - which Appendix entry first used Roman numerals to distinguish between two characters using the same codename?

9/28/2020 9:02 am  #177

Loki wrote:

4. These days handbook entries detail the character's "History"; but what was the name of the equivalent entry in the original handbooks?
9. A fairly general one - why did the 21st century handbooks abandon using the Roman numerals?

4. Origin?
9. Because retcons meant they'd often have to be reassigned?
15. Avengers?

9/28/2020 10:20 am  #178

Loki wrote:

All questions pertain to handbooks or handbook-like (Western Files, Civil War: Battle Damage Report, etc.) published by Marvel - so no DC's Who's Who or Dorling-Kindersley guides.

1. What alien race was the first to get profiled in the original Handbooks' Alien Races section?
2. What was the first alien race in the Alien Races' section to be depicted fully naked (e.g. not wearing a black thong/codpiece)?
3. In what publication did it first become the rule rather than the exception to include headshots for characters depicting (where available) their unmasked/powered down/untransformed faces? 
5. Some lines in the character bios have been merged or slightly renamed, but one has been dropped altogether since the original handbooks. Which one?
6. Which handbook entry was the first to introduce new information first revealed in that handbook and not gleaned from a prior comic story?
12. One publication had a single entry massively out of alphabetical order. Which entry?

1. Aakon
2. Brood?
3. A-Z Hardcovers?
5. Marital Status
6. Alpha Flight at the very latest; Marina and Puck joining
9;. Further to what zuckyd said, retcons (some characters first appeared earlier chronologically while others first appeared earlier by publication date). Plus really obscure characters keep turning up, and some people don't like it when Roman numerals are for a completely different character (e.g. most Hobgoblins are Green Goblin variants but not the Imperial Guard member)
12. Probably the biggest is New Mutants below X-Men

I might have some more answers later.

9/28/2020 10:22 am  #179

zuckyd1 wrote:

Loki wrote:

4. Origin?
9. Because retcons meant they'd often have to be reassigned?
15. Avengers?

4 and 15 are correct. 9 covers part of the reason, but there's more to it than just the problems caused by retcons (cf Golden Girl and Golden Girl - the one introduced in the 1940s was active later "in-universe" than the one introduced in the 1980s), so while I'll rule it a correct answer, I'll also leave the question on the table.

9/28/2020 5:23 pm  #180

Aside from my guesses above (post 178), two more guesses:

7. 20th century handbooks distinguished between characters using identical codenames with Roman numerals. Which entry was the first to include the Roman numeral in the profile title?

I think Bi-Beast in the Appendix to #2, though nowadays they're considered essentially the same character

16. Still in the Legacy handbooks, one character codename turned up in every book, though it wasn't necessarily the same character using said codename each time. What codename?

Iron Man I think, with 1990s being Teen Tony.

Last edited by Andy E. Nystrom (9/28/2020 5:53 pm)

Board footera