Who Watches the Watchers - Forum for the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe & Similar Works 20 YEARS! 2004-2024

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/13/2020 11:44 am  #1

Alternate Realities designations

Since I don't know where to post this topic I put it here (but feel free to transfer my thread to another room).
I've always liked the Marvel Multiverse concept and a few years ago when the Official Handbooks returned I was glad to see an appendix full of official numbered realities.
Although, with Secret Wars happened I think it became perhaps tougher to get a hold on those alternate realities (and with all those time/reality traveling characters who created diverging realities). Beside the Handbooks I often consult http://www.marvunapp.com/master/earthteaz.htm#numbered, which has the most accurate online list of numbered alt. realities in my opinion.

Since not all (new) realities have been officially designated with a number yet, I started this thread for discussions about alternate realities designations.

Examples of alternate realities/Earths who haven't officially designated (as far as I know) are:
- Age of X-Man
- Deadpool Max reality
- New Mutant Forever reality
- X-Factor Forever reality
- X-Istence (from the Major X series)
- 68th Century where Amber and the Revenant Queen/Owl Queen come from
- Legion tv series
- The Gifted tv series
- Wolverine: the Long Night reality
- realities in Avengers Fairy Tales series
- X2: Year One Hundred (from Powers of X)
- X3: Year One Thousand (from Powers of X)
- Mergiverse/Warp World
- Ideaverse
- 2061 A.D. (2014 Specials)
- X-Men: Worst X-Man Ever reality

Finally I got some question about the Old Man Logan reality (aka the Wastelands). His reality was officially listed as Earth-807128. When Old Man Logan reappeared on Battleworld, Marvunapp.com listed this Logan and his reality as Earth-21923. Does this mean the Old Man Logan who until recently was active in Reality-616 hails from 21923?
Furthermore, does the stories in the Old Man Hawkeye and Old Man Quill  take place in 21923 or 807128? Wiki sites like the Marvel Database (I know, not the most reliable source) list Old Man Hawkeye as 807128 but Old Man Quill as 21923. I don't see why Old Man Hawkeye's is a different reality than Old Man Quill's, but maybe someone can explain it to me?

7/13/2020 2:38 pm  #2

Re: Alternate Realities designations

Rayeye wrote:

Since I don't know where to post this topic I put it here (but feel free to transfer my thread to another room).
I've always liked the Marvel Multiverse concept and a few years ago when the Official Handbooks returned I was glad to see an appendix full of official numbered realities.
Although, with Secret Wars happened I think it became perhaps tougher to get a hold on those alternate realities (and with all those time/reality traveling characters who created diverging realities). Beside the Handbooks I often consult http://www.marvunapp.com/master/earthteaz.htm#numbered, which has the most accurate online list of numbered alt. realities in my opinion.

Yes, Marvunapp's Master List is the best place to keep an eye out for reality designators. It's the website of Jeff Christiansen, who was the head handbook writer for many years, and who is still the person who usually allocates the reality numbers when the handbooks need them. So while numbers that have only appeared on Marvunapp remain unofficial until they see print in a Marvel publication, those Marvunapp numbers are usually the ones that do see print once an appropriate entry comes up.

Rayeye wrote:

Since not all (new) realities have been officially designated with a number yet, I started this thread for discussions about alternate realities designations.

Examples of alternate realities/Earths who haven't officially designated (as far as I know) are:
- Age of X-Man

This one isn't an alternate reality, and so has no designator. To explain - for things like Age of Apocalypse, House of M, etc., time or reality got rewritten, spawning alternate realities. However, X-Man didn't do that for Age of X-Man; instead he created a pocket dimension filled with mostly fake people. Think of it as the difference between the Enterprise crew visiting the Mirror Universe, versus the Enterprise crew finding themselves trapped on the Holodeck. 

Rayeye wrote:

- Deadpool Max reality
- New Mutant Forever reality
- X-Factor Forever reality
- X-Istence (from the Major X series)
- 68th Century where Amber and the Revenant Queen/Owl Queen come from
- Legion tv series
- The Gifted tv series
- Wolverine: the Long Night reality
- realities in Avengers Fairy Tales series
- X2: Year One Hundred (from Powers of X)
- X3: Year One Thousand (from Powers of X)
- Mergiverse/Warp World
- Ideaverse
- 2061 A.D. (2014 Specials)
- X-Men: Worst X-Man Ever reality

Not sure if the Appendix has any entries in the works for characters from these worlds; Jeff usually doesn't assign numbers until the need crops up. 

Rayeye wrote:

Finally I got some question about the Old Man Logan reality (aka the Wastelands). His reality was officially listed as Earth-807128. When Old Man Logan reappeared on Battleworld, Marvunapp.com listed this Logan and his reality as Earth-21923. Does this mean the Old Man Logan who until recently was active in Reality-616 hails from 21923?

Yes. We've got two versions of Old Man Logan. Originally we had OML-807128 who we saw in the Old Man Logan storyline, and who went on to become the Hooded Man of the future Defenders seen in Fantastic Four. However, the multiverse collapse diverged a new version, 21923, who ended up on 616 instead of staying on his own world to become Hooded Man.

Rayeye wrote:

Furthermore, does the stories in the Old Man Hawkeye and Old Man Quill  take place in 21923 or 807128? Wiki sites like the Marvel Database (I know, not the most reliable source) list Old Man Hawkeye as 807128 but Old Man Quill as 21923. I don't see why Old Man Hawkeye's is a different reality than Old Man Quill's, but maybe someone can explain it to me?

I can't speak for the wiki, and you are right to be wary of their accuracy. It may be as simple as Old Man Hawkeye being shown to interact with the first version of OML, while Old Man Quill was shown to interact with the second. If that's the case, then I'd agree that those are probably the right designators for them. Anything else, and I'd be dubious.

7/13/2020 5:21 pm  #3

rayeye wrote:

Since I don't know where to post this topic

I think this is a good idea for a thread in general so I'm happy to leave it as is, though if you're not sure where to put a question, the General Q&A thread makes for a good default. https://whowatchesthewatchers.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=207

My photostream (over 7.5 million photos!)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24917258@N05/

7/14/2020 1:35 pm  #4

Loki wrote:

Yes, Marvunapp's Master List is the best place to keep an eye out for reality designators. It's the website of Jeff Christiansen, who was the head handbook writer for many years, and who is still the person who usually allocates the reality numbers when the handbooks need them. So while numbers that have only appeared on Marvunapp remain unofficial until they see print in a Marvel publication, those Marvunapp numbers are usually the ones that do see print once an appropriate entry comes up.

Good to know, I knew a lot of Marvunapp writers are Handbook writers as well, and the Master List is great!

Loki wrote:

This one isn't an alternate reality, and so has no designator. To explain - for things like Age of Apocalypse, House of M, etc., time or reality got rewritten, spawning alternate realities. However, X-Man didn't do that for Age of X-Man; instead he created a pocket dimension filled with mostly fake people. Think of it as the difference between the Enterprise crew visiting the Mirror Universe, versus the Enterprise crew finding themselves trapped on the Holodeck.

You're right about that one. I just wish at least they give it an official name, just like Counter-Earth was named.

Loki wrote:

Rayeye wrote:

Yes. We've got two versions of Old Man Logan. Originally we had OML-807128 who we saw in the Old Man Logan storyline, and who went on to become the Hooded Man of the future Defenders seen in Fantastic Four. However, the multiverse collapse diverged a new version, 21923, who ended up on 616 instead of staying on his own world to become Hooded Man.

Rayeye wrote:

I can't speak for the wiki, and you are right to be wary of their accuracy. It may be as simple as Old Man Hawkeye being shown to interact with the first version of OML, while Old Man Quill was shown to interact with the second. If that's the case, then I'd agree that those are probably the right designators for them. Anything else, and I'd be dubious.

Thanks for clarying this! Although in Secret Wars: Official Guide of the Marvel Multiverse Old Man Logan (Earth-807128)'s profile ends with that Logan appearing on Doom's Battleworld, it's understandable at the time it wasn't known or decided yet it was a different Logan (21923).

7/15/2020 1:37 am  #5

Rayeye wrote:

Thanks for clarying this! Although in Secret Wars: Official Guide of the Marvel Multiverse Old Man Logan (Earth-807128)'s profile ends with that Logan appearing on Doom's Battleworld, it's understandable at the time it wasn't known or decided yet it was a different Logan (21923).

Yes. At the time it was believed that there was only the one Old Man Logan, but the subsequent fate of the one that went to Battleworld and thence to 616 was incompatible with the known fate of the one who became the Hooded Man, at which point it became clear we'd gained a divergent version.

Board footera