Who Watches the Watchers - Forum for the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe & Similar Works 20 YEARS! 2004-2024

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/28/2020 5:48 am  #1

TV Series Trivia

OHOTMU Trivia will not be seen tonight so we may bring you a new set of trivia questions. Or to put it another way, I was burning out trying to come up with new reference questions every week and want to try something different. The above trivia will return at some point but for now, let's try something different.

This week's topic is US live action shows based on superhero comics.  Obviously there are too many to cover them all.

1. Who is the sole surviving cast member of Adventures of Superman and who did they play?
2. Which main villain in Batman had the same code name as a Superman foe?
3. In the first TV movie, who played Wonder Woman?
4. In the first season of the Wonder Woman series, who played Wonder Girl?
5. In the Doctor Strange TV movie, who played Morgan le Fay?
6. What is the home video title of the second Captain America TV movie?
7. In the commentary to the pilot to the Incredible Hulk, showrunner Kenneth Johnson admitted he wanted to make a change to the Hulk that Stan Lee vetoed. What was it?
8. Which character in Legends of the Superheroes was played by someone who is transgender?
9. In the 1990-1991 Flash series, who did the Ghost battle in the 1950s?
10. Who played Brainiac on Smallville?
11. Who played Deathstroke on Arrow?
12. Who did Logan Williams play on The Flash (2014-present series)?
13. Which character from Thor movies appeared on Agents of SHIELD?
14. Who played Karen Page on Daredevil?
15. Which team from Marvel movies appeared in an episode of Agent Carter?
16. Which cast character on Supergirl is related to a Superman foe?
17. Who was the main antagonist on the first season of Legends of Tomorrow?
18. Who was the main antagonist on the first season of Jessica Jones?
19. Which character in the second season of Luke Cage gained new abilities as a result of what happened to them on Defenders?
20. In the third season finale of Black Lightning, what did Tony Isabella and Trevor von Eden play?

Extra tough question:
21. What is the real life name of the building that served as Luthor Mansion on Smallville, what academic institution can you find it at, and in what other superhero TV show was it used for the mansion of major characters?

My photostream (over 7.5 million photos!)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24917258@N05/

7/28/2020 8:39 am  #2

Re: TV Series Trivia

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

3. In the first TV movie, who played Wonder Woman?
4. In the first season of the Wonder Woman series, who played Wonder Girl?
18. Who was the main antagonist on the first season of Jessica Jones?

3. Kathy Crosby?
4. Debra Winger?
13. Sif
15. Howling Commandos
18. Purple Man

7/28/2020 8:47 am  #3

3. I'll give you this one since I know who you meant; Cathy Lee Crosby
4. Correct
13. Correct
15. Correct
16. I'll give you this one even though he never used that name on the show. But yes, Purple Man's alter ego of Killgrave (or rather Kilgrave in the MCU) was the main antagonist.

7/28/2020 11:26 am  #4

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

6. What is the home video title of the second Captain America TV movie?

Death Too Soon.

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

10. Who played Brainiac on Smallville?

James Marsters.

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

11. Who played Deathstroke on Arrow?

Manu Bennett

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

14. Who played Karen Page on Daredevil?

Deborah Ann Woll

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

16. Which cast character on Supergirl is related to a Superman foe?

Lena Luthor

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

17. Who was the main antagonist on the first season of Legends of Tomorrow?

Vandal Savage

7/28/2020 11:46 am  #5

Loki wrote:

Vandal Savage 

Any relation?

7/28/2020 5:07 pm  #6

All of Loki's answers are correct (the full title of the cap movie being Captain America II: Death Too Soon), though I overlooked Lena, which is surprising because she's one of my favourite characters on the show. That being the case:
16. Which first season cast character on Supergirl is related to a Superman foe?

7/28/2020 11:54 pm  #7

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

All of Loki's answers are correct (the full title of the cap movie being Captain America II: Death Too Soon), though I overlooked Lena, which is surprising because she's one of my favourite characters on the show. That being the case:
16. Which first season cast character on Supergirl is related to a Superman foe?

Winn, son of the Toyman.

7/29/2020 4:59 am  #8

16 is correct.

7/30/2020 6:36 pm  #9

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

OHOTMU Trivia will not be seen tonight so we may bring you a new set of trivia questions. Or to put it another way, I was burning out trying to come up with new reference questions every week and want to try something different. The above trivia will return at some point but for now, let's try something different.

This week's topic is US live action shows based on superhero comics.  Obviously there are too many to cover them all.

9. In the 1990-1991 Flash series, who did the Ghost battle in the 1950s?
20. In the third season finale of Black Lightning, what did Tony Isabella and Trevor von Eden play?

9. Nightshade
20. A pair of judges at the official inquiry into the A.S.A.'s activities and occupation of Freeland

7/31/2020 10:05 am  #10

Those two are correct, and good detail on that last one. I thought it was a nice touch giving BL's original creative team a small role in the series.

8/03/2020 6:10 am  #11

Calling a day's notice on the following:
1. Who is the sole surviving cast member of Adventures of Superman and who did they play?
7. In the commentary to the pilot to the Incredible Hulk, showrunner Kenneth Johnson admitted he wanted to make a change to the Hulk that Stan Lee vetoed. What was it?
8. Which character in Legends of the Superheroes was played by someone who is transgender?
19. Which character in the second season of Luke Cage gained new abilities as a result of what happened to them on Defenders?
21. What is the real life name of the building that served as Luthor Mansion on Smallville, what academic institution can you find it at, and in what other superhero TV show was it used for the mansion of major characters?

8/04/2020 4:29 am  #12

The remaining:

Ignoring the possibility that someone who played random thugs is still alive, Phyllis Coates, who played Lois Lane in season one is alive and turned 93 in January.

The Puzzler. Probably less them dipping into the Superman well and them wanting to use a Riddler-like character.

Jessica Walter

Make the Hulk red to represent anger. If memory serves, the commentary was recorded prior to the first comic book appearance of a red Hulk.

Giganta

Barry Allen as a kid. Sadly the actor died of an overdose recently.

Sif

Howling Commandos

Misty Knight gained a bionic arm in Luke Cage after losing her arm in Defenders

Hatley Castle, Royal Roads University. It's in Colwood (Greater Victoria) so I can get there from my place by transit buses in about an hour. It was also the Queen mansion on Arrow (as well as the X-Men mansion in the movies). At least one published source (an X-Men book written by Brian Cronin) erroneously lists it as being in Vancouver. The confusion lies in that Greater Victoria is on Vancouver Island. Greater Vancouver is fairly close to the south end of Vancouver Island but no part of Greater Vancouver is actually on Vancouver Island.

8/04/2020 5:31 am  #13

This week's episode is devoted to Spider-Man, both live action and cartoons, up to the 1990s (my knowledge of later works is a bit limited)

1. Who was the voice of Spider-Man in the 1960s cartoon and in which MCU movie can you find him in?
2. Who played Spider-Man in The Electric Company?
3. What was the tallest building that the Spider-Man stuntman scaled an upper section of (for real) for the 1970s US live action series?
4. What is the other common code name of the Japanese Spider-Man?
5. What TV series was Spider-Man a regular in the same year Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends debuted?
6. Who voiced Iceman and Flash Thompson on Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends?
7. Who voiced the Hobgoblin in the first 1990s Spider-Man series?
8. What was the name of the second 1990s Spider-Man series?
9. What was the first TV series about another superhero that Spider-Man was a guest star in?
10. At least for the first season, what was the official title of the 1970s US live action series?
11. For what TV show did a comic book adaptation precede the show (within a month if memory serves)?
12. What later prominent animator took over the original Spider-Man cartoon series with the second season?
13. Who played Peter Parker in the 1970s live action series?
14. What was unusual about the way that Electric Company version spoke?
15. Which comic book crossover did the first 1990s Spider-Man cartoon series adapt?
16. Characters from what other cartoon series guest starred in the first 1990s cartoon series?
17. Where did Spider-Man go to in the second 1990s cartoon series?
18. Which episode of Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends was loosely based on an Agatha Christie novel?
19. Which comic series was a tie-in to Spider-Man's Electric Company appearances, using other characters from the show?
20. How many discs are in the DVD set for the original cartoon series?

8/04/2020 7:07 am  #14

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

11. For what TV show did a comic book adaptation precede the show (within a month if memory serves)?
12. What later prominent animator took over the original Spider-Man cartoon series with the second season?
15. Which comic book crossover did the first 1990s Spider-Man cartoon series adapt?
16. Characters from what other cartoon series guest starred in the first 1990s cartoon series?
19. Which comic series was a tie-in to Spider-Man's Electric Company appearances, using other characters from the show?

11. Pryde of the X-Men?
12. Ralph Bashki?
13. Nicholas Hammond?
15. Secret Wars?
16. X-Men: The Animated Series?
19. Spidey Super Stories?

8/04/2020 7:27 am  #15

11. Incorrect. I don't think it was adapted and even if it was, Spider-Man wasn't in that cartoon.
12. Correct. Also did Fritz the Cat, Heavy Traffic, Wizards, the 1980s Mighty Mouse cartoon, etc.
13. Correct
15. Correct
16. Correct. I don't think Spidey returned the favour, sadly.
19. Correct. Easy Reader, Jennifer of the Jungle, Paul the Gorilla, etc. all made it into the comic.

8/04/2020 8:24 am  #16

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

11. Incorrect. I don't think it was adapted and even if it was, Spider-Man wasn't in that cartoon.

Oops, forgot about the Spider-Man theme. There was a graphic novel adaptation however.

8/04/2020 10:48 am  #17

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

This week's episode is devoted to Spider-Man, both live action and cartoons, up to the 1990s (my knowledge of later works is a bit limited)

1. Who was the voice of Spider-Man in the 1960s cartoon and in which MCU movie can you find him in?

Paul Soles, and he's the pizza shop owner in The Incredible Hulk because he was also the voice of the 1960s Hulk.

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

4. What is the other common code name of the Japanese Spider-Man?

Supaiidaman. 

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

5. What TV series was Spider-Man a regular in the same year Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends debuted?

The 1981 Spider-Man cartoon.

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

8. What was the name of the second 1990s Spider-Man series?

Spider-Man Unlimited.

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

10. At least for the first season, what was the official title of the 1970s US live action series?

The Amazing Spider-Man

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

Your question has already been answered. But I'll throw in a bonus one - Hammond was at one point in discussion about reprising his role as Spider-Man. Anyone care to guess where/how?

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

14. What was unusual about the way that Electric Company version spoke?

He didn't speak. Speech bubbles appeared in the air with his dialogue.

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

17. Where did Spider-Man go to in the second 1990s cartoon series?

The High Evolutionary's Counter-Earth.

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

18. Which episode of Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends was loosely based on an Agatha Christie novel?

7 Little Superheroes, loosely based on 10 Little....

8/04/2020 6:10 pm  #18

All those are correct. To expand:
1. His character in The Incredible Hulk is Stanley. More accurately he was Bruce Banner in the Marvel Superhero cartoons. Essentially the same person of course,. Interestingly Soles later denied voicing Banner in one video posted on YouTube but since that's what guaranteed him the part in IH, that can probably be chalked up to aging memory.
13.The other Hammond question sounds familiar. Will think of it some more unless someone beats me to it.
18. The original book title (for anyone who doesn't know why Loki left out the last word) was Ten Little [N-Word plural], later Ten Little Indians (not much better but at least I can type that one out), later And Then There Were None (nowadays the preferred title). The racism of the poem is really unfortunate, because the idea of a poem hinting at how each victim would get knocked off is a good one.

14. For anyone who has never watched any of the Electric Company bits, they're worth watching even for adults. Here's the first one; the unseen narrator is easily recognizable as Morgan Freeman.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gA_Hs9DkmOo
And a later one, a bit more polished.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dNXUNYzjQY

Last edited by Andy E. Nystrom (8/04/2020 6:27 pm)

8/10/2020 4:50 am  #19

Calling a day on the following:
3. What was the tallest building that the Spider-Man stuntman scaled an upper section of (for real) for the 1970s US live action series?
9. What was the first TV series about another superhero that Spider-Man was a guest star in?

8/11/2020 5:08 am  #20

Remaining answers:

Danny Seagren

The Empire State Building

Frank Welker. If you don't know an answer to a cartoon voice question, Welker is always a good choice. He's everywhere.

Mark Hamill

Spider-Woman, voiced by 60s Spider-Man voice Paul Soles

Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends

Six

8/11/2020 5:30 am  #21

For the next quiz I want information… information… information on The Prisoner (British version, not to be confused with the unrelated Australian series). So as to not spoil the answer to the first question, the main character will be referred to as the Prisoner throughout the quiz. Note that some episodes have the viewing order debated, but the first episode and last two are not debatable in their order. In answering the questions, even though the show is from the 1960s, please avoid spoiling the main revelations from the series finale, or at least include spoiler tags. The series is always getting new viewers.

1. What is the Prisoner normally referred to as on the series?
2. One thing that’s been hotly debated is whether the Prisoner is actually which character from which series? (I’ll accept either name for the series)
3. Who played the Prisoner?
4. What was the name of the first episode of the show?
5. What was the fictional setting for most of the series?
6. What real world location was used for the show’s exteriors?
7. Who played the most recurring of the Number Two’s?
8. What was the name of the second last episode?
9. What is the name of the final episode?
10. What Beatles song was used in the final episode?
11. For the A&E DVDs, an alternate version of which episode is included?
12. What is the Prisoner’s birthday? (I don’t need year, but do include month and day)
13. Which episode is at least partly set on the Prisoner’s birthday?
14. How do characters say goodbye on the show?
15. What is the name of the giant balloon security device keeping prisoners from leave the show’s primary location?
16. What city was the Prisoner in prior to being captured?
17. What are the Number Twos trying to learn from the Prisoner?
18. In the opening sequence in most episodes, when the Prisoner tells Number Two he won’t get information, what is Number Two’s response?
19. Who played the Butler on the show?
20. What was the name of the episode that heavily involved a duplicate of the Prisoner?
21. In the first episode, another prisoner playing a game tells the Prisoner that we’re all what?

8/11/2020 8:10 am  #22

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

For the next quiz I want information… information… information on The Prisoner (British version, not to be confused with the unrelated Australian series). So as to not spoil the answer to the first question, the main character will be referred to as the Prisoner throughout the quiz. Note that some episodes have the viewing order debated, but the first episode and last two are not debatable in their order. In answering the questions, even though the show is from the 1960s, please avoid spoiling the main revelations from the series finale, or at least include spoiler tags. The series is always getting new viewers.

1. What is the Prisoner normally referred to as on the series?

Number Six.

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

2. One thing that’s been hotly debated is whether the Prisoner is actually which character from which series? (I’ll accept either name for the series)

John Drake from Danger Man. One of the Prisoner novels apparently confirmed it, btw.

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

3. Who played the Prisoner?

Patrick McGoohan.

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

4. What was the name of the first episode of the show?

Arrival.

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

5. What was the fictional setting for most of the series?

The Village.

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

6. What real world location was used for the show’s exteriors?

Portmerion

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

7. Who played the most recurring of the Number Two’s?

Trick question! Ian McKellan. But if you mean the original series, Leo McKern

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

9. What is the name of the final episode?

Fall Out

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

14. How do characters say goodbye on the show?

Be seeing you. 
And rebuttal question - which character in which completely unrelated show used this (and the hand sign that accompanied it) as his farewell, as a homage to The Prisoner?

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

15. What is the name of the giant balloon security device keeping prisoners from leave the show’s primary location?

Rover

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

16. What city was the Prisoner in prior to being captured?

London

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

17. What are the Number Twos trying to learn from the Prisoner?

Why he resigned from spying. Though they just say "Information" and only specify "Whose side are you on?"

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

18. In the opening sequence in most episodes, when the Prisoner tells Number Two he won’t get information, what is Number Two’s response?

By hook or by crook we will.

Additional rebuttal question:
Which creator worked on a Prisoner comic for Marvel in the 1970s?

8/11/2020 10:37 am  #23

All of those are correct. Being British I'd have been disappointed if you didn't know some of these, Loki.

More thoughts on the answers:
2. I hadn't known about the novel; I have two of them so I'll see if it's in one of those.  Interestingly, and perhaps coincidentally, under the US name of Secret Agent, the theme has the line, "They've given you a number, and taken away your name."

6. To expand on this a little, Portmeiron is in Wales. I've never been there but I understand there is or was a store there for Prisoner fans

7. I had actually forgotten but the later version, which I have let to see.

I don't have the answer off the top of my head to the other question. I do know Nowhere Man had quite a few Prisoner references but don't recall if that was one of them.

8/11/2020 11:29 am  #24

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

All of those are correct. Being British I'd have been disappointed if you didn't know some of these, Loki.

2. I hadn't known about the novel; I have two of them so I'll see if it's in one of those.

Apparently it's in more than one - notably, the book "Who is Number Two?" calls him Drake in the very first line.  

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

I don't have the answer off the top of my head to the other question. I do know Nowhere Man had quite a few Prisoner references but don't recall if that was one of them.

I can't rule out Nowhere Man also using it, but that's not the one I was thinking of. It's a major recurring character in the show I am thinking of who does the "Be seeing you." 

8/11/2020 5:23 pm  #25

Loki wrote:

Apparently it's in more than one - notably, the book "Who is Number Two?" calls him Drake in the very first line.  

I don't have that one. The two I have are the first one (no sub-title) and  A Day in the Life. Of course novels are usually a bit borderline when it comes to being canon. McGoohan reportedly claimed that Number 6 wasn't Drake, but that might be for legal purposes. But another showrunner said they were the same person, so that might also be the two of them having a bit of fun with the debate.

8/12/2020 9:48 am  #26

Loki wrote:

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

2. I hadn't known about the novel; I have two of them so I'll see if it's in one of those.

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

I can't rule out Nowhere Man also using it, but that's not the one I was thinking of. It's a major recurring character in the show I am thinking of who does the "Be seeing you." 

I'll answer.  Alfred Bester of the Psi Corps, played by "Star Trek" veteran Walter "Pavel Chekhov" Koenig, on the TV Show "Babylon 5."

8/12/2020 11:19 am  #27

skippcomet wrote:

Loki wrote:

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

I'll answer.  Alfred Bester of the Psi Corps, played by "Star Trek" veteran Walter "Pavel Chekhov" Koenig, on the TV Show "Babylon 5."

Correct.

8/12/2020 11:20 am  #28

Loki wrote:

Which creator worked on a Prisoner comic for Marvel in the 1970s?

Bump.

8/12/2020 6:01 pm  #29

Funny, I did think of Bester but didn't guess that for whatever reason. Another great series, and Bester was a great arrogant villain. Overlooked the other question before. I believe that was Jack Kirby

8/13/2020 2:34 am  #30

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

Funny, I did think of Bester but didn't guess that for whatever reason. Another great series, and Bester was a great arrogant villain. Overlooked the other question before. I believe that was Jack Kirby

Correct - Jack Kirby developed the idea for Marvel, as detailed here.

Board footera