Who Watches the Watchers - Forum for the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe & Similar Works 20 YEARS! 2004-2024

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/20/2023 1:31 am  #121

Re: General speculative fiction trivia

10 Star Wars

1/20/2023 1:33 am  #122

12. I'm guessing based on

Grant Ward, Reign and Talia Winters

Sleeper Agents?

1/20/2023 1:39 am  #123

6 Muppet Show guest stars?

1/20/2023 7:52 am  #124

11 is correct. He was a villain in one episode of SM&HAF. The real life Clifton Hill (Niagara Falls Ontario) has Dracula's Castle. Dell published a series where he was for some reason a costumed superhero. He's clashed with Doctor Strange, one battle notably wiping out all vampires for a time. He was one of the villains of The Monster Squad.

10 is correct. Sucher & Sons was a store in Aberdeen WA that sold Star Wars memorabilia. Now closed, possibly due to a combination of the owner putting up an anti-transgender sign and then later defying COVID mandates. A shame because when I went there before all that it was a pretty amazing store if a little pricey. Olympia has a Star Wars mural. The others have Star Tours and Disneyland at least now has a Star Wars themed land.

12 is correct. A couple of your examples were different than mine as I was thinking more moles who were fully aware of their actions. Either way, multi-episode moles. So:

Agents of SHIELD:

Grant Ward, as you say.

Supergirl:

Eve Tessmacher

Babylon 5:

Garibaldi's aide who shot him in the back

24: Quite a few (CTU needs to overhaul their screening process), starting with

Nina Meyers

Justice League:

Hawkwoman

6 is also correct.

My photostream (over 7.5 million photos!)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24917258@N05/

1/21/2023 8:07 am  #125

More clues:
2. The Flash, Breaking Bad, Sons of Anarchy, King of the Hill, From Dusk Till Dawn: The Series
The link is a person plus one other element that should be obvious
The person is an actor

3. Batman (1966), Batman (1989), Titans, Birds of Prey (TV version) [obviously "DC properties" would be too simple an answer]; the above list is actually complete but you can expand the theme slightly to include Smallville, Doom Patrol
The link is something that happened plus some elaboration
The elaboration is that one or more character from each of the above was depicted

5. The Destroyer, Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, Dream On, American Psycho, The Americans
The link is a person
The 1980s is relevant in some but not all cases

8. Spinal Tap, Captain Invincible, Bruno, Swamp Thing, the Pink Panther
The link has something to do with the names
Something is missing.

9. Sgt. Kabukiman NYPD, Tromeo & Juliet, Citizen Toxie: The Toxic Avenger IV, Terror Firmer, Poultrygeist: Night of the Chicken Dead (but NOT Troma's War or the first Toxic Avenger)
The link is something that happened.
Literally the exact same thing happens.

1/21/2023 8:36 am  #126

8 They are only part of the title in each case? 

This is Spinal Tap
Return of Captain Invincible
Not sure on Bruno, but I know the Borat movies have ridiculously long full titles, so guessing the same for Bruno.
Return of Swamp Thing
Return of the Pink Panther. Or Revenge of the Pink Panther. Or Trail, Curse, Son of.

1/21/2023 8:38 am  #127

Loki wrote:

This is Spinal Tap
Not sure on Bruno, but I know the Borat movies have ridiculously long full titles, so guessing the same for Bruno.
Return of Swamp Thing
Return of the Pink Panther. Or Revenge of the Pink Panther. Or Trail, Curse, Son of.

You're most of the way there but not quite. The link is even stronger.

1/21/2023 8:47 am  #128

2 The only person I can think of who appeared in From Dusk till Dawn: The Series and Flash is Danny Trejo; given how many things he's appeared in, I'm guessing he appeared in the other shows too. Unless the obvious connection is that all the characters he played are Mexican/ Latino, or that they were all characters who hunted others down on behalf of some organization (true for the two shows I know, and for at least some of Trejo's other notable roles like Machete), I'm not sure what the other link might be.

1/21/2023 8:52 am  #129

2 is correct, specifically TV appearances, which you pretty much alluded to (no movies in the list). Danny Trejo was Breacher on The Flash, Tortuga on Breaking Bad (who met a rather unique fate), Romeo Parada on Sons of Anarchy, Enrique and other characters on King of the Hill, and the Regulator on From Dusk Till Dawn: The Series.

1/21/2023 1:15 pm  #130

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

Loki wrote:

This is Spinal Tap
Return of Swamp Thing

You're most of the way there but not quite. The link is even stronger.

There was a Spinal Tap reunion movie. I don't remember the exact title of it, but I'll guess that all of the entries can be preceded by "Return of".

1/21/2023 1:24 pm  #131

8 is correct (possibly also The... but too lazy to look up). The Return of Bruno was a 1980s Bruce Willis movie, unrelated to Brüno (with an umlaut), the Sasha Baron Cohen character, though that was in part meant as a red herring.

1/21/2023 1:26 pm  #132

And yes, the reunion movie (IIRC made as part of them going on tour in real life) as The Return of Spinal Tap.

1/21/2023 1:34 pm  #133

I remember the Bruce Willis album. Never knew there was a movie that went along with it.

1/21/2023 1:43 pm  #134

zuckyd1 wrote:

I remember the Bruce Willis album. Never knew there was a movie that went along with it.

Yes. I remember seeing in in video stores back in the VHS days but I never rented it.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0095987/reference/

I should add there's a secondary connection which I'll give you: all movies. I kept having to resist the temptation to include Return of the Saint, as that was a TV show.

1/22/2023 12:45 pm  #135

More clues:
3. Batman (1966), Batman (1989), Titans, Birds of Prey (TV version) [obviously "DC properties" would be too simple an answer]; the above list is actually complete but you can expand the theme slightly to include Smallville, Doom Patrol
The link is something that happened plus some elaboration
The elaboration is that one or more character from each of the above was depicted
The link is fairly new (less than five years ago)

5. The Destroyer, Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, Dream On, American Psycho, The Americans
The link is a person
The 1980s is relevant in some but not all cases
The person was real and notable in two fields.

9. Sgt. Kabukiman NYPD, Tromeo & Juliet, Citizen Toxie: The Toxic Avenger IV, Terror Firmer, Poultrygeist: Night of the Chicken Dead (but NOT Troma's War or the first Toxic Avenger)
The exact footage appears in the above movies.

1/22/2023 1:20 pm  #136

5 Ronald Reagan?

1/22/2023 1:21 pm  #137

3  Cameos of characters from these shows in Arrowverse Crisis

1/22/2023 1:28 pm  #138

Both of these are correct.

3. The original parameter was characters from those sources appeared only at the start of an episode of Crisis on Infinite Earths, but then I expanded the parameters to appeared but still inconsequential to the plot.

5.Ronald Reagan was the President in some Destroyer novels (unnamed at first but I believe one novel where he played a bigger role post-presidency identified him by name). Reagan was the President in Dark Knight. On Dream On, Marvin Tupper would multiple times an episode flash back to movies he saw on TV as a kid that connected humorously to his current situation; often these flashbacks would be Ronald Reagan movies. For the other two, Reagan is seen on TV as the President.

1/24/2023 6:52 am  #139

Might as well reveal the last one as it's the toughest:

The exact footage appears in the above movies.

An expensive (for Troma) car flip was filmed for Sgt Kabukiman. Partly as a cost cutting measure and partly because fans now expect it, the footage has been repeated in subsequent films (which of course means it;'s usually a different car prior to the flip).

Here's the footage (not usually with the explosion; sadly no compilation footage online):

2/18/2023 2:38 pm  #140

Another round of the above:

1. George W. Bush, Kim Jung un. Joe Pantoliano, Jennifer Tilly
2. Secret Empire, Watchmen, Anthony Hopkins, Frank Langella
3. Unbreakable, Pulp Fiction, Terror Firmer, Iron Man
4. Minus Man, The Majestic, One Hour Photo, Nobody
5. Thor, Daredevil, Painkiller, Mia Smoak
6. Fear, Storm, Thunder, Strong
7. Sonny Bonds, Roger Wilco, Larry Laffer, Graham
8. Toxic Avenger (original version), Oscar, Captain America: Civil War, The Wrestler
9. Danny Seagren, Jim Boyd, Bill Cosby, Irene Cara
10. I Love You to Death, Milkshake, Samantha, Liberation

2/18/2023 4:19 pm  #141

4. Leading men were best known as comedy stars, here appearing in utterly serious, zero laugh roles?

2/18/2023 10:53 pm  #142

4. Correct. All are comedians or at least comedy actors, and all here are leads in a non-comedic movie.
Minus Man: Owen Wilson (as a serial killer; a convincing, not over the top one)
The Majestic: Jim Carrey
One Hour Photo: Robin Williams
Nobody: Bob Odenkirk

2/20/2023 2:56 pm  #143

Adding one to each remaining quesiton

1. George W. Bush, Kim Jung un. Joe Pantoliano, Jennifer Tilly, Meg Tilly
2. Secret Empire, Watchmen, Anthony Hopkins, Frank Langella, Green Lantern/Green Arrow
3. Unbreakable, Pulp Fiction, Terror Firmer, Iron Man, The Expendables
5. Thor, Daredevil, Painkiller, Mia Smoak; some would argue also Aquaman (I think that's a reach but I can't think of any other examples)
6. Fear, Storm, Thunder, Strong, Comet
7. Sonny Bonds, Roger Wilco, Larry Laffer, Graham, Rosella
8. Toxic Avenger (original version), Oscar, Captain America: Civil War, The Wrestler, Unhook the Stars
9. Danny Seagren, Jim Boyd, Bill Cosby, Irene Cara, Luis Avalos
10. I Love You to Death, Milkshake, Samantha, Liberation, The Sound of the City

2/22/2023 7:45 am  #144

More clues:
1. George W. Bush, Kim Jung un. Joe Pantoliano, Jennifer Tilly, Meg Tilly
They share a specific difference. That is to say, most other living famous people do not share this

2. Secret Empire, Watchmen, Anthony Hopkins, Frank Langella, Green Lantern/Green Arrow
The link is a real person but differs in key ways from #8

3. Unbreakable, Pulp Fiction, Terror Firmer, Iron Man, The Expendables
The connection is roles. I'm thinking two kinds of roles but there might be more

5. Thor, Daredevil, Painkiller, Mia Smoak; some would argue also Aquaman (I think that's a reach but I can't think of any other examples)
The link is a failure. The first two links, the last two loinks, and the borderline case are from different decades.

6. Fear, Storm, Thunder, Strong, Comet
The link is twofold. One part of the links is a company.

The link is not related to one of the media normally covered in these questions but it's still part of pop culture. All of these characters first appeared in the 1980s, but that's not the link I'm looking for.

8. Toxic Avenger (original version), Oscar, Captain America: Civil War, The Wrestler, Unhook the Stars
The link is a real person but differs in key ways from #2

9. Danny Seagren, Jim Boyd, Bill Cosby, Irene Cara, Luis Avalos
The link is TV related. The link spans many years within a specific decade

10. I Love You to Death, Milkshake, Samantha, Liberation, The Sound of the City
 All of these are songs but it's not enough to just name the singer/s. The link was the first to win a specifc award that continues to this day.

2/24/2023 11:20 am  #145

I must have been more tired than I thought earlier. I meant to just post new clues but pasted over the earlier post. Anyway, the previous post has new clues added.

2/25/2023 2:19 pm  #146

Adding more additions and/or more clues to the above.

1. George W. Bush, Kim Jung un. Joe Pantoliano, Jennifer Tilly, Meg Tilly, Bill Murray
They share a specific difference. That is to say, most other living famous people do not share this

The link is a real person but differs in key ways from #8; the real person is fictionalized

3. Unbreakable, Pulp Fiction, Terror Firmer, Iron Man, The Expendables, Rocky II
The connection is roles. I'm thinking two kinds of roles but there might be more. Think of the camera

The link is a failure. The first two links, the last two links, and the borderline case are from different decades, which are 80s, 10s, 00s respectively.

6. Fear, Storm, Thunder, Strong, Comet, Compass
The link is twofold. One part of the links is a company.

The link is not related to one of the media normally covered in these questions but it's still part of pop culture. All of these characters first appeared in the 1980s, but that's not the link I'm looking for.
The above characters are respectively a police officer, a space janitor, a lounge lizard, and two members of royalty.

8. Toxic Avenger (original version), Oscar, Captain America: Civil War, The Wrestler, Unhook the Stars, Spider-Man: Homecoming
The link is a real person but differs in key ways from #2

9. Danny Seagren, Jim Boyd, Bill Cosby, Irene Cara, Luis Avalos, Skip Hinnant
The link is TV related. The link spans many years within a specific decade

10. I Love You to Death, Milkshake, Samantha, Liberation, The Sound of the City, Magic Night
All of these are songs but it's not enough to just name the singer/s. The link was the first to win a specific award that continues to this day.

2/25/2023 2:57 pm  #147

2. Richard Nixon?

2/25/2023 3:01 pm  #148

2 is correct. It was heavily implied that he was the Number One of the Secret Empire in the memorable 1970s Captain America storyline. Nixon was still President in the comics and movie versions of Watchmen. Anthony Hopkins played him in Nixon while Frank Langella played him in Frost/Nixon. Green Lantern and Green Arrow fought a telekinetic girl whose face resembled Nixon's.

2/26/2023 2:09 pm  #149

Adding more additions and/or more clues to the above.

1. George W. Bush, Kim Jung un. Joe Pantoliano, Jennifer Tilly, Meg Tilly, Bill Murray
They share a specific difference. That is to say, most other living famous people do not share this. For half of these the link is TV, the other half movies.

3. Unbreakable, Pulp Fiction, Terror Firmer, Iron Man, The Expendables, Rocky II, Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home, Star Trek  V: The Final Frontier
The connection is roles. I'm thinking two kinds of roles but there might be more. Think of the camera

The link is a failure. The first two links, the last two links, and the borderline case are from different decades, which are 80s, 10s, 00s respectively
The link involves a single medium, but not comics.

6. Fear, Storm, Thunder, Strong, Comet, Compass
The link is twofold. One part of the links is a company. The other part relates to names

The above characters are respectively a police officer, a space janitor, a lounge lizard, and two members of royalty.
All of the above have embarked on quests tailored to their characters.

8. Toxic Avenger (original version), Oscar, Captain America: Civil War, The Wrestler, Unhook the Stars, Spider-Man: Homecoming, Spider-Man:
The link is a real person but differs in key ways from #2. The person is female.

9. Danny Seagren, Jim Boyd, Bill Cosby, Irene Cara, Luis Avalos, Skip Hinnant, Judy Graubart, Hattie Winston
The link is TV related. The link spans many years within a specific decade.

10. I Love You to Death, Milkshake, Samantha, Liberation, The Sound of the City, Magic Night, titular song
All of these are songs but it's not enough to just name the singer/s. The link was the first to win a specific award that continues to this day.

2/26/2023 3:21 pm  #150

5. failed backdoor pilots?

Board footera