Who Watches the Watchers - Forum for the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe & Similar Works 20 YEARS! 2004-2024

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/22/2020 6:06 pm  #211

Re: Multiversal Kevin Bacon

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

Loki wrote:

Robin Williams was interviewed by Kermit the Frog in the Winter 1983 issue of Muppet Magazine.
Kermit and Miss Piggy appear together umpteen times.
Miss Piggy has met the Doctor in The Stolen Mirth, as mentioned a few pages back.
The Doctor and Captain Britain both attended Bonjaxx's birthday party in Doctor Who Magazine #173.

Alternatively, if you don't want to count Muppet Magazine:
Robin met the Two-Headed Monster in Sesame Street Episode 2480
The Two-Headed Monster appeared in The Muppet Movie in 1979 alongside Miss Piggy
and thereafter as above.

Ah, but can you do it in four moves without counting that interview? There's at least one way to do so.

Yes, like I said: 
Robin met the Two-Headed Monster in Sesame Street Episode 2480
The Two-Headed Monster appeared in The Muppet Movie in 1979 alongside Miss Piggy
Miss Piggy has met the Doctor in The Stolen Mirth, as mentioned a few pages back.
The Doctor and Captain Britain both attended Bonjaxx's birthday party in Doctor Who Magazine #173

though I'm guessing you've got another route in mind.

3/22/2020 6:24 pm  #212

Sorry, I misread the alternate route. Here's my route:
Robin Williams met Mork in Mork & Mindy season 3 "Mork Meets Robin Williams"
Mork first met the Fonz in Happy Days season 5 "My Favorite Orkan"
The Fonz met Merlin in Fonz and the Happy Days Gang season 1 "Gone with the Wand"
Merlin first met Captain Britain in Captain Britain #1.

My photostream (over 7.5 million photos!)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24917258@N05/

3/22/2020 6:48 pm  #213

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

Sorry, I misread the alternate route. Here's my route:
Robin Williams met Mork in Mork & Mindy season 3 "Mork Meets Robin Williams"
Mork first met the Fonz in Happy Days season 5 "My Favorite Orkan"
The Fonz met Merlin in Fonz and the Happy Days Gang season 1 "Gone with the Wand"
Merlin first met Captain Britain in Captain Britain #1.

Not bad, but remember that mythological types like Merlin only count as the same individual if both appearances are from the same company's version - e.g. Marvel's Thor isn't DC's Thor. 

3/22/2020 7:30 pm  #214

Okay replace Merlin with Dracula in an earlier episode of Fonz and the Happy Days Gang..
Dracula encountered Captain Britain in Captain Britain and MI-13.

That way Mork is still part of the path.

Last edited by Andy E. Nystrom (3/22/2020 7:32 pm)

3/23/2020 2:06 am  #215

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

Okay replace Merlin with Dracula in an earlier episode of Fonz and the Happy Days Gang..
Dracula encountered Captain Britain in Captain Britain and MI-13.

That way Mork is still part of the path.

Similar problem with Dracula - as a public domain character, he counts, but he's considered a weak link unless it's the same company's Dracula. 

You can still make the route with Mork, but it just requires an extra step or two if we want to avoid public domain types. Fonz and the Happy Days Gang was made by Hanna Barbera. If we counted Hanna Barbera as part of Warners Bros, then FatHDG's Dracula, Merlin or Sherlock Holmes would also be DC's versions, and Superman met Dracula in Superman #180, Merlin in Superman #55, while Batman has met Sherlock a few times, such as Detective Comics #572. And from Batman or Superman you can get directly to Captain Britain via the Comic Relief Comic.

Even if we rule the characters from FatHDG as different (because Hanna Barbera wasn't bought out by Warners until decades later), we can still make the connection by adding in an additional step, because Scooby Doo is Hanna Barbera and he's met Sherlock and Dracula. So we'd go Dracula to Scooby, Scooby to Superman or Batman, and then from them to Captain Britain.

3/23/2020 10:20 am  #216

Bump. One day to go.

Loki wrote:

From
Griffin

to
Judge Flint

Unofficial cameos are permitted for linking purposes, mostly because I believe it won't be possible without using at least one.

3/27/2020 3:29 am  #217

Loki wrote:

Bump. One day to go.

Loki wrote:

From
Griffin

to
Judge Flint

Unofficial cameos are permitted for linking purposes, mostly because I believe it won't be possible without using at least one.

Looks like this one stumped everyone. So:
1) The Griffin made a (presumably unofficial) cameo in Uncanny X-Men #245, appearing in alien crowd scenes alongside a ridiculous number of other unauthorized cameos which I'll probably get round to documenting in one of the Strange Visitor from another canon threads. One of those other cameos is an Alien Xenomorph.
2) Another unauthorized Xenomorph turns up in Rebellion's The Vigilant Legacy, attending a supernatural tribunal for the new Doctor Sin. And one of the judges presiding over said tribunal is Judge Flint.

If we want to minimise the use of unauthorized cameos to just the Griffin's appearance, then we can go:
1) Griffin in Uncanny X-Men #245 to Wolverine
2) Wolverine and Judge Dredd both appeared in The Comic Relief Comic
3) Dredd and Robot Archie both turned up in 2000AD Prog 1280's A Night to Remember
4) Robot Archie appeared in the first story of Vigilant Legacy, as did Doctor Sin
5) Doctor Sin to Judge Flint in the second story in Vigilant Legacy

4/11/2020 1:32 am  #218

Time for some that aren't so tricky, giving more people a chance to take part. Also, I'd request that zuckyd1 or Andy don't put forward a solution until at least two days have passed; both of you are too good and will almost certainly be able to produce a solution within minutes. I'm not sure if anyone other than the three of us are even reading this thread, but if they are, I'd like to leave the opportunity for them to participate. I'll similarly sit on my hands for a couple of days if anyone else puts in a challenge.
Cabal
to
Cable

4/11/2020 2:09 pm  #219

4/19/2020 6:39 am  #220

Bump. One day to go.

Loki wrote:

Time for some that aren't so tricky, giving more people a chance to take part. Also, I'd request that zuckyd1 or Andy don't put forward a solution until at least two days have passed; both of you are too good and will almost certainly be able to produce a solution within minutes. I'm not sure if anyone other than the three of us are even reading this thread, but if they are, I'd like to leave the opportunity for them to participate. I'll similarly sit on my hands for a couple of days if anyone else puts in a challenge.
Cabal
to
Cable

4/19/2020 6:40 am  #221

Bump. One day to go.

Loki wrote:

From Mr. Flibble
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKHLOo1WgDQ
to
Pingu

4/19/2020 7:22 am  #222

Loki wrote:

Bump. One day to go.

Loki wrote:

Cabal
to
Cable

1) Cabal and Pinhead appear in Hellraiser Nightbreed—Jihad.
2) Pinhead appears and Philip LeMarchand, creator of the Lament Configuration, is mentioned in “The Pleasures of Deception” from Clive Barker’s Hellraiser #2.
3) Lemarchand is mentioned and Jack Russell appears in “The Gathering Storm” from Marvel Comics Presents #55. Marvel Comics held the Hellraiser license at the time. Mystic Arcana: The Book of Marvel Magic confirms that it is indeed Philip Lemarchand, creator of the Lament Configuration, who is mentioned.
4) Jack Russell and Cable appear in Captain America #406.

4/19/2020 7:24 am  #223

Loki wrote:

Bump. One day to go.

Loki wrote:

From Mr. Flibble
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKHLOo1WgDQ
to
Pingu

1) Mr. Flibble and Arnold Rimmer appeared in the Red Dwarf episode “Quarantine”. (How timely!)
2) Arnold Rimmer and the TARDIS appeared in the next episode, “Demons & Angels”.
3) The TARDIS and Batman appeared in The Comic Relief Comic.
4) Batman and Scooby-Doo appeared in the New Scooby-Doo Movies episode “The Dynamic Scooby-Doo Affair”.
5) Scooby-Doo and Pingu appeared in the music video for “The Official BBC Children in Need Medley” by Peter Kay's Animated All Star Band.

9/03/2020 12:21 am  #224

Captain Daniel Gregg

to
Captain Jebediah Fate

9/09/2020 7:01 am  #225

Calling 24 hours on this one.

Loki wrote:

Captain Daniel Gregg

to
Captain Jebediah Fate

9/10/2020 7:07 am  #226

Loki wrote:

Captain Daniel Gregg

to
Captain Jebediah Fate

Since Fate is a Marvel character, and thus easily connected to other realities, the tricky bit here is getting from Daniel Gregg, the first half of the titular "The Ghost and Mrs. Muir," to somewhere else in the Omniverse. That is achieved via his appearance in The Ghost and Mrs. Muir Present the ABC Super Saturday Club Special, which aired on ABC on 4th September 1969. In that, Edward Mulhare and Hope Lange appeared in character as Daniel Gregg and Carolyn Muir, while Jonathan Frid appeared in character as Barnabas Collins from Dark Shadows.

Sadly there seems to be no surviving photographic or video evidence of this, but we do have TV listings:

and from TwoMorrows' magazine RetroFan#9

Thus using fully authorized appearances we can go:
1. Daniel Gregg to Barnabas Collins via ABC SSCS
2. Barnabas Collins to Vampirella in Dark Shadows/Vampirella
3. Vampirella to Kulan Gath in Prophecy
4. Gath to Vision in Savage Avengers#0
5. Vision to Captain Fate in Captain Britain and MI13#13.

9/14/2020 2:43 am  #227

I'll allow for some slightly "looser" linkage for this one.
From Burt Gummer

to
Daryl Dixon

9/14/2020 1:20 pm  #228

Loki wrote:

From Burt Gummer
to
Daryl Dixon

1. Burt Gummer and a Nevada-based giant albino worm-like creature named “El Blanco” appear in Tremors 3: Back to Perfection.

2. Jess Nevin’s story “A Root That Beareth Gall and Worms” (from Tales of the Shadowmen, Volume 5: The Vampires of Paris) mentions several species of worm-like creatures, including albino giants from the American west as well as “vegamorpha” (apparently meant to be the creatures from the 2006 film Slither).
(Another similarly tenuous link can be made between the Tremors franchise and Slither: Burt Gummer and Earl Bassett appear in the first two Tremors films, and Starla Grant of Slither teaches at Earl Bassett Community School.)

3. A few specimens of the Slither species have been collected by Taneleer Tivan, as seen in Guardians of the Galaxy. Both films were directed by James Gunn.

4. The 616 version of Tivan attempts to collect Spider-Man in Marvel Team-Up Annual #7.

5. Spider-Man meets Invincible in Marvel Team-Up (2005 series) #14.

6. Invincible and Rick Grimes appear in Invincible #81.

7. Rick Grimes and Daryl Dixon first meet in “Tell It to the Frogs”, an episode of the television series The Walking Dead (based on the comic of the same name by Invincible creator Robert Kirkman). 

9/14/2020 2:21 pm  #229

zuckyd1 wrote:

Loki wrote:

From Burt Gummer
to
Daryl Dixon

1. Burt Gummer and a Nevada-based giant albino worm-like creature named “El Blanco” appear in Tremors 3: Back to Perfection.

2. Jess Nevin’s story “A Root That Beareth Gall and Worms” (from Tales of the Shadowmen, Volume 5: The Vampires of Paris) mentions several species of worm-like creatures, including albino giants from the American west as well as “vegamorpha” (apparently meant to be the creatures from the 2006 film Slither).
(Another similarly tenuous link can be made between the Tremors franchise and Slither: Burt Gummer and Earl Bassett appear in the first two Tremors films, and Starla Grant of Slither teaches at Earl Bassett Community School.)

3. A few specimens of the Slither species have been collected by Taneleer Tivan, as seen in Guardians of the Galaxy. Both films were directed by James Gunn.

4. The 616 version of Tivan attempts to collect Spider-Man in Marvel Team-Up Annual #7.

5. Spider-Man meets Invincible in Marvel Team-Up (2005 series) #14.

6. Invincible and Rick Grimes appear in Invincible #81.

7. Rick Grimes and Daryl Dixon first meet in “Tell It to the Frogs”, an episode of the television series The Walking Dead (based on the comic of the same name by Invincible creator Robert Kirkman). 

Not bad. Getting out from Tremors was always going to be the trickier end of the equation. The route I had in mind used a slightly different way out that tickled my fancy. I'll outline it in reverse, as it's that step to get to Tremors that is the most interesting (if a tad tenous):
1. Like your route, Daryl to Rick via many, many episodes of the TV version of Walking Dead.
2. Rick to Invincible via their joint membership of the parody version of the Guardians of the Globe in Guarding the Globe#1.
3. Invincible to Spidey, as above.
4. Spidey to Ash Williams in Marvel Zombies vs Army of Darkness.
5. Ash to Jason Voorhees in Freddy vs Jason vs Ash
6. Jason to Jack in Friday the 13th (the original movie)
7. Jack to Val (from Tremors) in, of all things, a series of UK phone adverts. This is the tenuous one. EE, a phone provider, has done a long running series of adverts starring Kevin Bacon. In some of the adverts, Kevin plays himself as a group of five housemates, one of whom is "Friday the 13th Kevin Bacon." I won't name the others - it's funnier to see the advert for yourself.

And in a second advert, they need another Kevin Bacon to take advantage of a 2-for-1 cinema ticket offer, and they run through options of who to call. Though we don't see him, they do name check "Tremors Kevin Bacon."

So he doesn't appear (tenuous) and they don't call any of the Bacons by their character names (tenuous), but they are undeniably those characters and besides, it amuses me to use Kevin Bacon himself in a "degrees of Kevin Bacon" thread.

8. And of course from Val to Burt via Tremors.

9/25/2021 7:17 pm  #230

From Pussy Cat

to Pussycat

9/26/2021 6:46 am  #231

zuckyd1 wrote:

From Pussy Cat

to Pussycat

Trick question. The former is the latter after she got older, lost her figure, and became a furry!

But really:
1. Pussy Cat appeared in Fables#6 with Bigby Wolf.
2. Bigby Wolf appeared in The Unwritten#52 with Frankenstein's Monster
3. Since Unwritten is DC (Vertigo) I can count that as the same Frankenstein's Monster who appears in Action Comics#46 with Superman.
4. Superman met Silver Surfer in Superman / Silver Surfer.
5. Silver Surfer was in Defenders IV#9 with Pussycat.

9/26/2021 7:02 am  #232

Yup. But you can also eliminate the Frankenstein step by using this:

9/26/2021 7:42 am  #233

zuckyd1 wrote:

Yup. But you can also eliminate the Frankenstein step by using this:

Ah. I wasn't aware of that crossover. Now I need to get it!

9/26/2021 1:26 pm  #234

How about... Torgo to Krankor?

9/26/2021 2:32 pm  #235

You mean aside from the MST3K connection?

9/26/2021 2:47 pm  #236

Actually that's the connection I was looking for. I know in some cases it probably wouldn't count because the main characters were just viewing the movie, but both of those characters actually interacted with the SOL crew.

1/11/2023 8:33 am  #237

Long time since we've done one of these, so here's a couple of new challenges:

For this first, I will allow using a very specific type of event/occurrence that does not exist in the real world as one of the linkages. 

From Z Nation's 10K

to Walking Dead's Herschel Greene
[img]https://images2.minutemediacdn.com/image/fetch/w_2000,h_2000,c_fit/https%3A%2F%2Fundeadwalking.com%2Ffiles%2F2018%2F10%2FTWD_209_QA_Scott.jpg[/img]

1/11/2023 8:39 am  #238

The second challenge adds a twist - what might be called triangular six degrees. Three characters who need to be linked, but in any order. Doesn't matter who is the start, end or middle(ish) of the chain. Linking is the first priority, and cutting it down to under six degrees total is a bonus but not a necessity. 

Our trio today are:
Nightmare

Freddy Krueger

and the Corinthian
[img]https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/KMN7T4YY4jgo5m3DStR9ybyTUMc=/0x0:3600x1650/1200x800/filters:focal(991x310:1567x886)/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/71217747/TheSandman_Season1_00_29_52_12R.0.jpg[/img]

1/12/2023 9:49 am  #239

Loki wrote:

For this first, I will allow using a very specific type of event/occurrence that does not exist in the real world as one of the linkages. 

I assume you mean something more specific than a generic zombie apocalypse.

1/12/2023 9:54 am  #240

zuckyd1 wrote:

Loki wrote:

I assume you mean something more specific than a generic zombie apocalypse.

Or, a bit more of a specific example, the U.S. Center for Disease Control's "real life" zombie apocalypse!  
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centers_for_Disease_Control_and_Prevention#Popular_culture

Board footera