Who Watches the Watchers - Forum for the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe & Similar Works 20 YEARS! 2004-2024

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/13/2020 7:10 am  #1

OHOTMU Marvel Knights 2005

Historical text from Comixfan:

Ronald Byrd
Nov 19, 2004, 12:11 pm

Coming from Marvel in February '05:

OFFICIAL HANDBOOK OF THE MARVEL UNIVERSE:
MARVEL KNIGHTS 2005
Written by STUART VANDAL, BARRY REESE, RONALD BYRD,
SEAN MCQUAID, ANTHONY FLAMINI, ERIC J MOREELS,
JEFF CHRISTIANSEN & MICHAEL HOSKIN
Cover by PAT LEE
On the mean streets of the Marvel Universe, the kid gloves come off. Guardian devils, vengeance-seeking vigilantes and enigmatic assassins stalk the city's dark underbelly _ and the urban action unfolds with gritty intensity. The newest entry in Marvel’s best-selling Handbook series, OHOTMUMK04 includes in-depth bios on a host of the House’s edgiest icons — from Black Panther to Shang-Chi!
48 PGS./All Ages …$3.99

Comments?
Eric J. Moreels
Dec 11, 2004, 07:01 am

Kinda surprised noone's discussing this... don't tell me everyone's getting tired of the OHOTMUs already?! :Hellno:

Londoncalling3275
Dec 11, 2004, 11:55 am

Actually I do have a question do you know if Marvel's official stand on Daredevil senses are that they are mutation from the radiactive waste that spilled into his eyes via Stan Lee's origin? Or has DD's origin been retconned and his super sense are nothing more then advanced martial arts traing to hone his senses?

Stuart V
Dec 11, 2004, 04:25 pm

Londoncalling3275 wrote:

Actually I do have a question do you know if Marvel's official stand on Daredevil senses are that they are mutation from the radiactive waste that spilled into his eyes via Stan Lee's origin? Or has DD's origin been retconned and his super sense are nothing more then advanced martial arts traing to hone his senses?

To the best of my knowledge (though I doubt that counts as an "official stance") it's the radioactive waste, with the martial arts training enhancing that and perfecting his use of them.

Londoncalling3275
Dec 11, 2004, 05:07 pm

Stuart V wrote:

To the best of my knowledge (though I doubt that counts as an "official stance") it's the radioactive waste, with the martial arts training enhancing that and perfecting his use of them.

Thanks your quote may help me alot with this debate I'm having with fellow poster on another board.

Eric J. Moreels
Jan 28, 2005, 06:46 am

Just added the cover to the first post for those who might be interested in seeing it.

RVcousin
Jan 30, 2005, 06:37 am

Nice cover, but there's someone in the back I can't indentify :
the one behind Bishop ? :Confused:
Just with the characters on the cover it seems it will be one the best Handbooks of the series :Read:

TheManWithoutFear
Jan 30, 2005, 09:55 am

RVcousin wrote:

Nice cover, but there's someone in the back I can't indentify :
the one behind Bishop ? :Confused:
Just with the characters on the cover it seems it will be one the best Handbooks of the series :Read:

Yea, I'd say it was Bishop and next to Man-Thing is Luke Cage. I can't wait for this to come out.

Rayeye
Jan 30, 2005, 11:48 am

Eric J. Moreels wrote:

Kinda surprised noone's discussing this... don't tell me everyone's getting tired of the OHOTMUs already?! :Hellno:

Of course not, every month I check the comic shop for the newest Handbook.
For OHOTMU: Marvel Knights I hope it's not include a too long profile of Black Panther and Daredevil, since they already appeared in previous handbooks.

Stuart V
Feb 2, 2005, 10:11 am

Rayeye wrote:

Of course not, every month I check the comic shop for the newest Handbook.
For OHOTMU: Marvel Knights I hope it's not include a too long profile of Black Panther and Daredevil, since they already appeared in previous handbooks.

We are very careful when repeats do happen to try and take that into account. If someone had a lengthy previous entry, the new entry for them would tend to be shorter (so other, non-repeat entries don't lose out), and concentrate more on the new developments that happened since their last entry; conversely, if they had a short entry, we try and devote a bit more space to them. And we always try to shift the focus of the profile to go into more depth on different parts of their history if possible.

TheManWithoutFear
Feb 20, 2005, 02:00 pm

The White Tiger addition was awesome and a very pleasant surprise. Thanks A lot guys! :dance: This handbook was the best by far.

Vyns
Feb 21, 2005, 05:27 pm

Howcome Pat Lee's drawings don't look like this on X4?

roach
Mar 7, 2005, 08:24 pm

No Moon Knight????

Eric J. Moreels
Mar 8, 2005, 01:06 am

roach wrote:

No Moon Knight????

He has a 3-page entry in this book.

TheManWithoutFear
Mar 19, 2005, 10:11 pm

I can't find a date on the Sentry TPB but I thought it came out this year? With talk of New Avengers and limited series. Couldn't he have been mentioned in Marvel Knights?

Stuart V
Mar 20, 2005, 06:54 am

TheManWithoutFear wrote:

I can't find a date on the Sentry TPB but I thought it came out this year? With talk of New Avengers and limited series. Couldn't he have been mentioned in Marvel Knights?

The Sentry TPB came out in 2001. As for the character himself, yes, he could have been mentioned in the Marvel Knights book, but we'd either have had to cut someone else or reduce some other character's page count to make space for him, neither of which options was overly attractive, especially when you take into considerations June's forthcoming solicitations:
NEW AVENGERS #8
Written by BRIAN MICHAEL BENDIS
Penciled by STEVE MCNIVEN WITH SAL BUSCEMA
Cover by DAVID FINCH
Guest Story Arc Artist YOUNG GUN STEVE MCNIVEN!!

THE MYSTERY OF THE SENTRY REVEALED!
The Avengers try to help the most powerful super hero in the world figure out who he is and where he came from! But will this knowledge destroy the man they are trying to help? PLUS! A very special Sentry sequence illustrated by Marvel legend Sal Buscema!
In June it looks like we will be getting some interesting revelations about the Sentry, and any profile we did for February could be missing significant information about him as a result. Better to hold off including him in a book until we can also include this new information.

TheManWithoutFear
Mar 20, 2005, 08:02 pm

Stuart V wrote:

In June it looks like we will be getting some interesting revelations about the Sentry, and any profile we did for February could be missing significant information about him as a result. Better to hold off including him in a book until we can also include this new information.

Good point. It's all good still my favorite read of the Handbooks.

Stuart V
Mar 29, 2005, 08:56 am

TheManWithoutFear wrote:

Good point. It's all good still my favorite read of the Handbooks.

Glad to hear it.

Corey Blake
Mar 29, 2005, 03:19 pm

Was the "previous entry" thing the reason that Dagger wasn't included but Cloak was, since she was already in the Females book?

Stuart V
Mar 29, 2005, 03:27 pm

Corey Blake wrote:

Was the "previous entry" thing the reason that Dagger wasn't included but Cloak was, since she was already in the Females book?

Yes.

Sidney Osinga
Oct 13, 2007, 08:14 pm

I found some missing information. I posted it a few weeks ago, but it got wiped, so I'm reposting it. Ghost Rider (Ketch) has a uncle George and a nephew Phil, both shown in the Canadian Amazing Spider-Man #3, sub-titled Hit and Run. I believe that this story is in continuity since #4 has been mentioned in the Frightful Four and Man-Bull entries.

Andy E. Nystrom
Apr 27, 2010, 09:58 pm

List of changes in hardcovers

All: Abilities, Superhuman Powers, Paraphernalia merged as Abilities/Accessories; Marital Status removed. Origin and Significant Issues in back of book removed.

Black Panther
Hardcover Volume: 1
Page Count: Increased from 2 to 3
Text Changes: Vital Statistics revised; History and Abilities/Accessories completely rewritten/expanded
Graphic Changes: Old illo removed; new main illo and 8 new secondary illos (3 captioned)

Blade
Hardcover Volume: 2
Page Count: Increased from 3 to 4
Text Changes: Vital Statistics revised/expanded. History: new paragraph added after 3rd, last paragraph replaced with 2 large new ones, Abilities/Accessories revised/expanded
Graphic Changes: Main illos replaced with new one, text removed from secondary illo, three new secondary illos (1 captioned).

Cage
Now Listed As: Luke Cage
Text Changes: Vital Statistics revised. History and Abilities/Accessories almost completely revised.
Graphic Changes: Both illos removed, replaced with new main illo and 4 new secondary illos.

Cloak
Page Count: Unchanged at 2
Text Changes: Group Affiliation updated. Final 2 History paragraphs replaced by new ones. Power Grid tweaked.
Graphic Changes: 2 new secondary illos

Daredevil
Hardcover Volume: 3
Page Count: Increased from 1 to 6
Text Changes: Known Relatives and Education tweaked. History and Abilities/Accessories completely revised/expanded. Energy Projection on Power Grid increased
Graphic Changes: Original illo replaced with new main illo, 11 secondary illos (8 captions, with 1 caption referring to 2 illos). Eliot Brown-drawn Billy Club entry from original series#15 added.
District X
Page Count: Increased from 1 to 2
Text Changes: Final sentence in History expanded and new final paragraph added.
Graphic Changes: Original illo cropped at bottom left. Map added. 34 headshots with First Appearances added.

Doctor Strange
Page Count: Increased from 4 to 5
Text Changes: History paragraph starting with “During his years of study…” split in 2 and expanded; new sentence added at end of one starting with “Weeks later…”; last sentence of final paragraph removed and new material added; 2 new paragraphs added; there might be more changes to history that I’m overlooking.
Graphic Changes: New main illo; old one reversed and new secondary. Old secondary illo rmoved, 7 new ones added (3 captioned)

Nick Fury
Hardcover Volume: 4
Text Changes: Place of Birth and Group Affiliation revised. Some text in 7th History paragraph moved to 8th so additional material could be added to the 7th; 2nd last paragraph revised at end; final paragraph removed, replaced with 4 new ones. Abilities/Accessories greatly revised/expanded.
Graphic Changes: 3 new secondary illos (1 captioned).

Ghost Rider (Blaze)
Hardcover Volume: 4
Text Changes: Some Vital Statistics revised. New sentences added at end of 4th History paragraph; 6th paragraph split in 2 and from then until second half of paragraph just before one beginning “Years later…” almost completely revised/expanded; 4 new paragraphs added at end. Abilities/Accessories completely revised/expanded. Speed revised on Power Grid.
Graphic Changes: Both illos removed; new main illo and 10 secondary illos (5 individually captioned, 3 more share same caption).

Ghost Rider (Ketch)
Hardcover Volume: 6
Now Listed As: Dan Ketch
Page Count: Unchanged at 3
Text Changes: Vital Statistics revised. History completely revised. Abilities/Accessories greatly revised/expanded.
Graphic Changes: Old illos removed. New main illo, 8 new secondary illos (7 captioned).

Iron Fist
Hardcover Volume: 5
Text Changes: Aliases and Group Affiliation expanded. History and Abilities/Accessories greatly revised/expanded, though a lot of the original text still present. Energy Projection on Power Grid revised.
Graphic Changes: New main illo (old one reversed as secondary illo). 5 new secondary illos

Madrox
Hardcover Volume: 8
Now Listed As: Multiple Man
Page Count: Increased from 2 to 3
Text Changes: Vital Statistics revised. History and Abilities/Accessories completely rewritten/expanded. Hair revised. Power Grid revised.
Graphic Changes: secondary illo removed; 8 new secondary illos (6 captioned)

Man-Thing
Hardcover Volume: 7
Text Changes: Final History paragraph’s last sentence replaced with a considerable amount of new text.
Graphic Changes: 3 new secondary illos (1 captioned).

Marvel Knights
Page Count: Unchanged at 1
Text Changes: Purpose, Major Enemies, Known Extent of Operations removed. Base of Operations tweaked.
Graphic Changes: Main illo captioned, secondary illo replaced with 2 new captioned ones.

Moon Knight
Text Changes: Occupation, Group Affiliation revised. 2 History paragraphs merged while 1 split in 2; final paragraph replaced with new larger one. Abilities/Accessories somewhat revised.
Graphic Changes: Main illo removed, replaced with new one. 9 new secondary illos added (5 captioned), plus the classic Elliot R. Brown Crescent Darts and Truncheon entries from Marvel Universe#15 now included.

Punisher
Hardcover Volume: 9
Text Changes: Real Name revised (as per History and the previous Real Name, he should probably still be listed as having been born Frank Castiglione). Some History paragraphs merged; paragraph beginning “At the same time…” tweaked at end; new paragraph added between subsequent two paragraphs; 2nd last paragraph replaced with 6 new ones. Abilities/Accessories greatly revised/expanded. Intelligence and Strength on Power Grid revised.
Graphic Changes: Old main illo removed, replaced with new one. One secondary illo removed, 3 new captioned ones. Classic Eliot R. Brown van specs from Deluxe Edition added and captioned.

Shang-Chi
Hardcover Volume: 10
Text Changes: Known Relatives tweaked. 1 History paragraph split in 2, alter agos added, new large final paragraph. Abilities/Accessories somewhat revised/expanded. Fighting Skills on Power Grid revised.
Graphic Changes: New main illo (old one now secondary); cropping altered in old secondary illos; new secondary illo

White Tiger
Hardcover Volume: 13
Now Listed As: White Tiger (Del Toro)
Page Count: Unchanged at 1
Text Changes: Vital Statistics revised. History and Abilities/Accessories mostly revised/expanded. Hair revised. Intelligence, Strength, Durability on Power Grid revised.
Graphic Changes: New main illo (old one removed); new secondary illo

My photostream (over 7.5 million photos!)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24917258@N05/

Board footera