Who Watches the Watchers - Forum for the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe & Similar Works 20 YEARS! 2004-2024

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/14/2020 4:20 pm  #1

OHotMU A-Z Vol. 3 Premiere HC

Historical text from Comixfan:

Eric J. Moreels

Apr 19, 2008, 08:42 pm

Coming from Marvel in June...

OFFICIAL HANDBOOK OF THE MARVEL UNIVERSE A TO Z VOL. 3 PREMIERE HC
Written by JEFF CHRISTIANSEN, SEAN MCQUAID, STUART VANDAL, MIKE FICHERA, MADISON CARTER, MICHAEL HOSKIN, RONALD BYRD, MARK O'ENGLISH, ERIC J. MOREELS, CHAD ANDERSON, DAVID WILTFONG, JACOB ROUGEMONT, AL SJOERDSMA, CHRIS BIGGS & RICH GREEN
Cover by TOM GRUMMETT

Continuing the most exciting and comprehensive Marvel Handbook ever assembled! This twelve-volume guide to the Marvel Universe features more than 100 huge entries in each tome! This issue - from Crimson Dynamo (Gennady Gavrilov) to the Elements of Doom! Spotlighting people (Crystal, Cyclops, Daredevil, Dazzler, Deadpool, three Deathloks, three Death's Heads, Dr. Doom, Dr. Octopus, Dr. Strange, Domino, Dracula, Drax, Dust, Echo, Elektra), places (the Daily Bugle, District X), teams (the Defenders), species (Demons, Deviants), alternate realities (Days of Future Past, Earth-A, Earth X) items (the Darkhold) and more!

240 PGS./Rated T+ …$24.99
ISBN: 978-0-7851-3100-7

Eduardo M.

Apr 19, 2008, 09:13 pm

Time for me to fail when it comes to obscure Marvel Characters.

On the cover, who is that flying next to Darkhawk and Deadpool?

ultrabasurero

Apr 19, 2008, 10:57 pm

Eduardo M. wrote:

Time for me to fail when it comes to obscure Marvel Characters.

On the cover, who is that flying next to Darkhawk and Deadpool?

Isn't it Karolina Dean from the Runaways?

Eduardo M.

Apr 19, 2008, 11:27 pm

ultrabasurero wrote:

Isn't it Karolina Dean from the Runaways?

If it is then I'm going to proceed to do this --> :wall:

repeatedly for failing to recognize her.

then again, this is why I read the Handbooks to begin with. So that i can recoginze characters at a glance and know obscure bits if trivia like the fact Cyclops worked as a radio announcer

ultrabasurero

Apr 19, 2008, 11:56 pm

I noticed that every cover so far has exactly 15 characters.

Stuart V

Apr 21, 2008, 06:19 am

ultrabasurero wrote:

I noticed that every cover so far has exactly 15 characters.

I think they figure that's roughly how many characters the artists can reasonably squeeze on to the page without it getting overcrowded.

Sidney Osinga

May 2, 2008, 02:42 pm

I wonder if the Daughters of the Dragon will get an entry similar to the one in the 2006 series or if they'll solo entries as Knight, Misty and Wing, Colleen. I mean, it's not like they're joined at the hip, they've had stories with one that doesn't include the other. If Cloak and Dagger, a much closer team, can have seperate entries, why not them?

Captain Morgan

May 12, 2008, 12:39 pm

I'll be looking forward to this volume.

Sidney Osinga

May 19, 2008, 01:54 pm

Personally, I don't see why Crimson Dynamo (Gennady Gavrilov) has a separate entry since he was included in the group entry. In my opinion, it defeats the purpose.

bigvis497

May 21, 2008, 04:43 pm

Ok way too much time on my hands here, lol! Looking through the master list thread and putting all the pieces together, the following would be half-page letter C entries that would have been in volume 2 alphabetically, therefore will be included in this volume as it finishes off the letter C:

Captain, The
Captain America (Revolutionary War)
Captain Axis
Centennial
Chase, O.Z.
Chili
Chronok
Cobra/Piet Voorhees
Coldheart
Collective Intelligence
Colossus/Super-Computer
Colossus/Vegan
Commanda
Comrade X
Conquistador
Crazy Eight/Lesley Shappe

All of those are pretty much guaranteed to be half pagers in volume 3, if they were expanded, they would have been included in volume 2, as that ended alphabetically with Crimson Dynamo. So that's 16 1/2 page entries, which would fit perfectly on 8 pages. Howver, there's still a few more half pagers that would be in volume 3 alphabetically:

Crimson Mage
Crusader (Skrull)
Crusher

3 half pagers, which of course wouldn't fit on two pages, therefore I'm expecting that we'll be seeing an all new entry to fill in the gap! Unless one of those three gets the full page treatment, which I honestly couldn't see happening. Let the speculation begin!

Eduardo M.

May 21, 2008, 06:16 pm

bigvis497 wrote:

Ok way too much time on my hands here, lol! Looking through the master list thread and putting all the pieces together, the following would be half-page letter C entries that would have been in volume 2 alphabetically, therefore will be included in this volume as it finishes off the letter C:

Captain, The
Captain Axis
Centennial
Chase, O.Z.
Chili
Chronok
Cobra/Piet Voorhees
Coldheart
Collective Intelligence
Colossus/Super-Computer
Colossus/Vegan
Commanda
Comrade X
Conquistador

All of those are pretty much guaranteed to be half pagers in volume 3, if they were expanded, they would have been included in volume 2, as that ended alphabetically with Crimson Dynamo. So that's 16 1/2 page entries, which would fit perfectly on 8 pages. Howver, there's still a few more half pagers that would be in volume 3 alphabetically:

Crimson Mage
Crusader (Skrull)
Crusher

3 half pagers, which of course wouldn't fit on two pages, therefore I'm expecting that we'll be seeing an all new entry to fill in the gap! Unless one of those three gets the full page treatment, which I honestly couldn't see happening. Let the speculation begin!

Maybe Crusader (Skrull) will get the full page treatment. In addition to what his original entry had, there's his involvement in Avengers: the Initiative. Maybe there will also be a shot of his true face to fill the space.

Stuart V

May 21, 2008, 07:24 pm

bigvis497 wrote:

Captain, The
Captain Axis
Centennial
Chase, O.Z.
Chili
Chronok
Cobra/Piet Voorhees
Coldheart
Collective Intelligence
Colossus/Super-Computer
Colossus/Vegan
Commanda
Comrade X
Conquistador

Crimson Mage
Crusader (Skrull)
Crusher

Good research! Not saying if you are right or not, but good research!

Sidney Osinga

May 22, 2008, 01:11 pm

Also, on the same track, we will also see the half page entries for the D's, too. I counted them last night, and if none of them gets a full page, there will be an even number of them. However, the Diamondback from Secret War might be included (as she got an entry in the Secret War: from the Files of Nick Fury), so that would make an odd number of entries.

Also, IF there is an new entry in the half page C's, I'm hoping that they cover a Golden Age hero, such as Captain Terror or Captain Daring.

Sidney Osinga

May 23, 2008, 02:59 pm

In response to bigvis497 list of half page entries for the C's, here's one for the D's:
Danger Man
Daydream
Death's Head (Page)
Debrii
Deluge
Destroyer (Stanton)
Devil's Heart
Diamondback (Stryker)
Dr. Strange (criminal)
Divinity Drake
Drom
Droog

Also, like I said before, Diamondback (Bertrand) from the Secret War files may get an entry. That would make an odd number unless someone gets bumped up to a full page. And Johnny Dee may also be included here, since that's presumably his real name. Any comments?

Sidney Osinga

May 29, 2008, 09:07 pm

Could anyone on staff tell us if Earth-President Thor from Ultimate Secrets will be included, as it is part of the Multiverse?

DrGoodwrench

Jun 10, 2008, 12:33 pm

How many doctors are we likely to see in this? Is it going to top the 11 captains (8 in volume 2 and probably 3 in volume 3)?

Eduardo M.

Jun 10, 2008, 12:56 pm

Dr Strange (Stephen Strange), Dr Strange (Iron Man foe). Dr Doom, Dr Octopus (Octavius), Dr Octopus (Trainer), Dr Deminocus, Dr Glitternight, Dr Faustus, Dr Druid, and Dr Nemesis

Seems like there might be 10 doctors. However, there is always the possibility that Carolyn Trainer will be listed under Lady Octopus, and that would bring the count down to 9.

There will also be entries for Doc Samson and Dr Doom's Generals. However, I'm not counting those

Rayeye

Jun 15, 2008, 05:26 pm

When is this one coming out?

Eduardo M.

Jun 15, 2008, 08:17 pm

I think the 25th.

Sidney Osinga

Jun 16, 2008, 01:32 am

Rayeye wrote:

When is this one coming out?

It was originally scheduled for the eleventh.

Captain Morgan

Jun 18, 2008, 09:51 pm

I was just on Amazon and it says it comes out July 23rd.

Eduardo M.

Jun 19, 2008, 12:30 am

Captain Morgan wrote:

I was just on Amazon and it says it comes out July 23rd.

that may be when it goes on sale at Amazon. When I ordered vols 1 & 2 from them, I had to wait a couple of weeks from the time it was released in comic shops. When I was looking for Vol1, two people at two different bookstores told me places like Barnes & Noble and Borders get TPBs a month after they appear in comic shops.

My guess is that if Vol3 doesn't appear next week, it will the week after.

Eduardo M.

Jun 22, 2008, 10:53 pm

Everything I've read says its coming this Wednesday. I'm making a run for my LCS this Wednesday. Hopefully I'll be walking out of there with a big hardcover handbook in my arms.

On another note, in a moment of extreme geekyness a friend of mine and I have a bet going as to whether or not Carolyn Trainer will in Vol.3 as Dr Octopus. I'm saying she'll be in a later volume as Lady Octopus. Hopefully b Wednesday we'll see who has to buy who lunch.

William Keogh

Jun 24, 2008, 11:53 am

The hardcover is indeed out on Wednesday. So's the Atlas.

Andy E. Nystrom

Jun 25, 2008, 09:11 pm

Got it today. Looks great as always.

One important thing before anyone complains: at leat in my copy, some pages are repeated, but nothing's omitted. Given that we live in a world where it's becoming increasingly important to be environmentally friendly, I recommend not asking Marvel for a replacement copy, as it's still complete as is. I checked the back and everyone seems to be there.

One question to the writers: my eye's healing nicely so I'll soon finish my list of changes to Vol. 2, then start on Vol. 3. When I do, is it okay if I identify the monster in the Dr Demonicus entry who's not captioned, or would you rather that I play coy with our friend who has a spot on the Walk of Fame?

ultrabasurero

Jun 25, 2008, 10:49 pm

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

One important thing before anyone complains: at leat in my copy, some pages are repeated, but nothing's omitted. Given that we live in a world where it's becoming increasingly important to be environmentally friendly, I recommend not asking Marvel for a replacement copy, as it's still complete as is. I checked the back and everyone seems to be there.

One question to the writers: my eye's healing nicely so I'll soon finish my list of changes to Vol. 2, then start on Vol. 3. When I do, is it okay if I identify the monster in the Dr Demonicus entry who's not captioned, or would you rather that I play coy with our friend who has a spot on the Walk of Fame?

Are there any new profiles?

Eduardo M.

Jun 25, 2008, 11:59 pm

ultrabasurero wrote:

Diamondback (Debbie Bertrand) She originally appeared in the Nick Fury Secret Files. Like Valerie Cooper, its a surprise to see her here since it was assumed that the NFSF wouldn't be covered due to the vastly different way its written.

Also, for thsoe keeping track on who gets featured from the Annihilation Files, Death, Deliquent (aka Infant Terrible), Devos the Devastator and Drax the Destroyer are in this volume as well. from the New Avengers:Most Wanted Files, we get Cutthroat, Crossfire, Crossbones, Crusader (Blackwood), Deathwatch, and Dr Demonicus.

Madison Carter

Jun 26, 2008, 12:58 am

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

Doesn't really matter, the only thing we can't do is identify that particular creature by name in an official situation.

Andy E. Nystrom

Jun 26, 2008, 02:21 am

Madison Carter wrote:

Doesn't really matter, the only thing we can't do is identify that particular creature by name in an official situation.

Thank you. Yeah, I figured that was the case. Whether it was intended to be such or not, I thought it was a pretty playful way of dealing with the legalities to depict the monster and just off the caption.

Madison Carter

Jun 26, 2008, 06:37 am

ultrabasurero wrote:

There's at least one completely new profile, not counting the ones reconfigured from Files books.

DragynWulf

Jun 26, 2008, 11:51 am

ultrabasurero wrote:

A few that I can name off the top of my head that are newly written profiles that previously appeared in past handbooks...

Crossbones (NA: Most Wanted), Crossfire (NA: Most Wanted), Crusader (NA: Most Wanted), Dark Beast (AoA), Death's Head Guard (Planet Hulk/A-Z), and Dust (New Mutants Yearbook).

skippcomet

Jun 26, 2008, 11:58 am

Madison Carter wrote:

There's at least one completely new profile, not counting the ones reconfigured from Files books.

That would be Death Wreck, I believe.

Eduardo M. wrote:

Diamondback (Debbie Bertrand) She originally appeared in the Nick Fury Secret Files. Like Valerie Cooper, its a surprise to see her here since it was assumed that the NFSF wouldn't be covered due to the vastly different way its written.

I'm halfway expecting Sally Floyd to be included in Vol. 4 at this rate, seeing as how she was included in Civil War Files.

Eduardo M. wrote:

Also, for thsoe keeping track on who gets featured from the Annihilation Files, Death, Deliquent (aka Infant Terrible), Devos the Devastator and Drax the Destroyer are in this volume as well.

To be fair, Death and Drax had received entries in the All-New OHOTMU A-Z sereis of '06, and the Delinquent can be seen as an updated version of the 1960's Handbook's entry on the Infant Terrible. But also included was a Handbook-style half-page entry on Chtylok from the Monster Files, apparently to fill out the half-page entries for the letter "C." Alas, we couldn't get a Handbook entry for Devil Dinosaur.

I do have one error to report, though: Page three of the Daredevil entry goes from "Narrowly escaping, Matt was discovered by Sister Maggie, who proved to be his long-lost mother." to "and he started a free legal clinic after working briefly as a short-order cook." There's clearly some text missing.

bigvis497

Jun 26, 2008, 02:08 pm

Does anybody have a complete listing of who's in it? I really can't wait until tomorrow to hit up the comic store!

Stuart V

Jun 26, 2008, 03:20 pm

bigvis497 wrote:

Does anybody have a complete listing of who's in it? I really can't wait until tomorrow to hit up the comic store!

Captain (Nextwave)
Captain America of the Revolutionary War
Captain Axis
Centennial
O.Z. Chase
Chronok
Chtylok
Cobra (Piet Voorhees)
Coldheart
Collective Intelligence
Colossus (super-computer)
Colossus (Vegan)
Commanda
Conquistador (Beast foe)
Crazy Eight (Shappe)
Crimson Dynamo (Gavrilov)
Crimson Mage
Crooked World
Crossbones
Crossfire
Crossroads
Crusader (Blackwood)
Crusader (Thompson)
Crusaders
Crusher (Iron Man foe)
Crystal
Crystar
Jaine Cutter
Cutthroat
Cyber
Cyclone (Fresson)
Cyclops (Summers)
Cypher
Dagger
Daily Bugle
Daken
Damballah (Dam-Ayido)
Danger
Danger Man
Daredevil (Murdock)
Dark Angel
Dark Beast
Dark Gods
Dark Rider
Dark Riders
Dark-Crawler
Darkdevil
Darkhawk
Darkhold
Darkhold Redeemers
Darklore
Darkstar (Petrovna)
Darwin
Daydream
Days of Future Past
Dazzler (Worthington)
Dazzler (Blaire)
D’bari
Dead Girl
Deadly Dozen
Deadly Ernest
Deadpool
Karolina Dean
Death (cosmic entity)
Death Metal
Deathbird
Deathcry
Deathlok (Collins)
Deathlok (Manning)
Deathlok (Truman & Young)
Death’s Head (FPA)
Death’s Head (Minion)
Death’s Head (Page)
Death’s Head Warguard
Deathwatch
Deathweb
Johnny Dee
Debrii
Decibel
Defenders
Delilah
Delinquent
Deltites
Deluge
Demogoblin
Demogorge
Demolition Man
Demon-Fire
Demons
Desak
Desert Sword
Destiny (Destine)
Destiny (Adler)
Destroyer (Marlow/Falsworth/Aubrey)
Destroyer (Stanton)
Deviants
Devil’s Heart
Devil-Slayer
Devlor
Devos the Devastator
Jean DeWolff
Diabolique
Diamond Lil
Diamondback (Stryker)
Diamondback (Leighton)
Diamondback (Bertrand)
Diamondhead
Digger (Vegas Thirteen)
Digitek
Dimension of Manifestations
District X
Divinity Drake
Doc Samson
Doctor Demonicus
Doctor Doom (von Doom)
Doctor Doom’s Generals
Doctor Druid
Doctor Faustus
Doctor Glitternight
Doctor Nemesis (Stockton)
Doctor Octopus (Octavius)
Doctor Strange (Carlo)
Doctor Strange (Stephen)
Dominic Fortune (Fortunoff)
Domino (Thurman)
Milla Donovan
Doomsday Man
Doop
Doppelganger
Dorma
Dormammu
Nadia Dornova
DP7
Dracula
Dragon Circle
Dragon Man
Damon Dran
Drax
Dream Weaver
Dredmund the Druid
Drom
Droog
Druig
D’Spayre
Jean-Paul DuChamp
Timothy “Dum Dum” Dugan
Dust (Quadir)
Dweller-in-Darkness
Earth X
Earth-A
Echo
Ethan Edwards
Effigy
Ego
8-Ball
El Dorado
Electro (Dillon)
Elektra
Elementals
Elements of Doom

plus the Appendix of Alternate Earths continues.

Madison Carter

Jun 26, 2008, 03:29 pm

Small note - Stuart's list left off the aforementioned new entry for Death Wreck.

ultrabasurero

Jun 27, 2008, 01:44 pm

I still haven't got mine in the mail, but who's El Dorado?

bigvis497

Jun 27, 2008, 02:39 pm

Just got mine on my lunch break, can't wait to take it all in. I was wondering the same thing about El Dorado, it appears to be a location, possibly from the Atlas? If so I'm confused, as I didn't think the Atlas entries were going to be included. Can anybody shed some light?

Pros: Glad to see Deadpool gets a monster 4 page entry. Nice to see a lot of tech specs were thrown in too, like Cyclops visor, Daredevil's club & Doc Ock's tentacles. Eliot Brown is always a welcome addition. Nice that Doop made the cover, as he/it rules. The recolored 70's entries look nice. Defenders get a lengthy entry.

Cons: Where's all the X-Men love? I would think Cyclops would warrant more than 3 pages, Poor Cypher just got 1. Minor gripe, but it doesn't seem like the X-Men entries so far have been updated much except for new art and a couple paragraphs at the end.

Eduardo M.

Jun 27, 2008, 03:12 pm

El Dorado is a location. It had an entry in the 60s handbook. The 70s handbook featured an entry for They Who Wield Power, a trio of villians based in El Dorado.

bigvis497

Jun 27, 2008, 05:09 pm

I would have liked to see Domino get more then one page, I think she definitely deserved it. I would have liked to see all of her different costumes instead of just one shot. The one Adam Pollina designed for her in the 90's was really cool. Plus, I would have liked the profile to cover her time with X-Force a little more instead of just mentioning it. Oh well, maybe next time around?

Sidney Osinga

Jun 28, 2008, 01:55 am

bigvis497 wrote:

I would have liked to see Domino get more then one page, I think she definitely deserved it. I would have liked to see all of her different costumes instead of just one shot. The one Adam Pollina designed for her in the 90's was really cool. Plus, I would have liked the profile to cover her time with X-Force a little more instead of just mentioning it. Oh well, maybe next time around?

I was disappointed about that too. She should have gotten a new image too, since much of her costume was covered. I also dislike how long running characters like Cyclops, Dr. Octopus, and Electro weren't given expanded entries, just updated ones from the first couple of modern OHotMU.

Eric J. Moreels

Jun 28, 2008, 09:06 pm

Sidney Osinga wrote:

I also dislike how long running characters like Cyclops, Dr. Octopus, and Electro weren't given expanded entries, just updated ones from the first couple of modern OHotMU.

Cyclops was definitely expanded. He originally had 2 pages in the X-Men 2004 Handbook, and in the Hardcover he had 3 pages. Expanded history, expanded powers section, several extra images added.

bigvis497

Jun 28, 2008, 09:13 pm

After looking at the master list, for those who keep track, here's the omissions I found and my guesses as to why they were left out:

Chili (ML60, ½)
No idea, name change maybe?

Comrade X (ML60, ½)
Also no idea, name change?

Daughters of The Dragon (ANOHOTMUAZ #3, 2)
Guessing they'll be split up into Wing, Coleen and Knight, Misty. Good idea if that's the case.

Doctor Octopus/Trainer (ML90, 1)
She'll be rearranged under Trainer, Carolyn or Lady Octopus

Earle, Caryn & Barker (OHOTMUSM04, 1/6)
Guessing Spider-Man's supporting cast will get their own entry, including Anderson, John who was skipped in HC Volume 1

Earthmover (OHOTMUMA1, ½)
Half pager, end of letter E in Vol 4

Stuart V

Jun 28, 2008, 09:22 pm

bigvis497 wrote:

After looking at the master list, for those who keep track, here's the omissions I found and my guesses as to why they were left out:

Chili (ML60, ½)

Chili has a proper name.

bigvis497 wrote:

Comrade X (ML60, ½)

Known as Comrade X in the 1960s. Known by another name when she reappeared.

bigvis497 wrote:

Guessing they'll be split up into Wing, Coleen and Knight, Misty. Good idea if that's the case.

Misty had a solo entry in the 2005 Handbooks, and the two ladies have operated on occasion without the other around.

bigvis497 wrote:

Could be. ;)

bigvis497 wrote:

Guessing Spider-Man's supporting cast will get their own entry, including Anderson, John who was skipped in HC Volume 1

People who got 1/6th of a page aren't getting solo entries, that's true.

bigvis497 wrote:

Yup.

bigvis497

Jun 28, 2008, 09:43 pm

Did a little research, think I got it:

Comrade X = Madame X of the People's Defense Force

Chili = Storm, Chili

Eduardo M.

Jun 28, 2008, 11:05 pm

bigvis497 wrote:

Chili (ML60, ½)

Comrade X (ML60, ½)

Here's what I'm guessing

-Chili will appear among the half-page S's as Chili Storm
-Comrade X will be in the M's under Madame X. I'm guessing her Comrade x look in a smaller illustartion.
-like you said, Daughters of the Dragon will split up between Misty Knight and Colleen Wing.
-Everything i've seen recently has called Carolyn Trainer's supper villian Lady Octopus so I'm guessing that's where she'll be.

Andy E. Nystrom

Jun 29, 2008, 12:43 am

More lists of changes, more fun. Legacy updates took longer than expected (lots of characters except 1990s) so will just post those for now. More to follow.

Marvel Legacy: 1960s

All: Art Credits, Place of Birth, Power Grid added (Power Numbers for ½ pagers)

Collective Intelligence: original illo now captioned, new captioned illo added

Colossus (Super-Computer): Vital Statistics beyond First Appearance added. History mostly rewritten. Captioned illo off Renolds added.

Colossus (Vegan): Abilities/Accessories tweaked, new captioned illo added

Conquistador: Real name and Citizenship identified, Note added, illo fleshed out.

Crusher: Real Name identified, History expanded.

Daredevil: expanded from 1 to 6 pages. Vital Statistics, History and Abilities/Accessories completely revised/expanded. Main illo replaced with new one. One secondary illo captioned, the other removed, Billy Club entry from original series #15 added, 10 other new illos (7 captioned)

Death’s Head (Page): Where are They Now? Info now the 2nd History paragraph

Delinquent: Expanded from ½ to 1 page (originally listed as Infant Terrible). Vaital Statistics revised. Original paragraph greatly revised and expanded; 2 new paragraphs (Where are They Now? Info incorporated into History). Note added. Abilities/Accessories completely revised/expanded. New main illo. Old illo present as secondary illo.

Destroyer (Stanton): New sentence added at end of History.

Doctor Strange (Carlo): Real Name and History tweaked.

Doctor Strange: expanded from 1 to 5 pages. Vital Statistics, History and Abilities/Accessories completely revised/expanded. Main illo replaced with new one. One secondary illo captioned, the other removed, Billy Club entry from original series #15 added, 10 other new illos (7 captioned). Old illos removed. New main illo and 8 new secondary illos (3 captioned)

El Dorado (`originally listed as Forbidden Land): History completely revised. One illos removed, three added (2 captioned).

Marvel Legacy: 1970s

Crusaders: Fornmer Members have more alter egos. History completely revised and expanded. Dialogue, extraneous characters and most of the background removed from the main illo. Dyna-Mite illo replaced with new one. Tommy Lighting illo has story caption removed and is now properly identified.New image identified as Alfie added.

Deadly Dozen: Dialogue and red line removed from main illo, new secondary illo

Defenders: expanded from 2 to 6 pages. Vital Statistics revised. Initial History parapghs somewhat revised, many new paragraphs added. New main illo (original still present as captioned secondary shot. 3 new captioned secondary illos. The old 20 headshots completely replaced with 48 new ones with Active stats (some characters dropped as not true members).

Demon-Fire: coloured, dialogue and some backgrounds removed

Devil’s Heart: Illos cropped, story captions removed.

Doctor Glitternight: History completely revised. Background removed from main illo, new captioned secondary shot.

Dragon Circle: Known Members revised, History completely revised, incorporating info from Where are They Now? Largest illo heavily cropped. Marvel Legacy: 1960s

Marvel Legacy: 1980s

OZ Chase: secondary illos cropped

Crimson Mage: Note tweaked to incorporate info from Where are They Now?

Crossroads: First 2 History paragraphs merged; Where are They Now? Info incorporated into final paragraph.

Crystar: History tweaked.

Dark-Crawler: Where are They Now? Info added to second History paragraph; new final paragraph. New captioned secondary illo

Deadly Ernest: History a little revised, with new final paragraph. Abilities/Accessories revised/expanded.

Defenders: expanded from 2 to 6 pages. Vital Statistics and especially History revised/expanded. New main illo (old illo captioned), 3 more captioned illos plus 48 headshots with Active issues added.

Deltites: First History paragraph revised.

DP7: Final history paragraph expanded.

Marvel Legacy: 1990s

Darkhawk: Group Affiliation revised. New large History paragraph added iincoporating info from Where are They Now? Two secondary illos removed, one captioned illo added.

Stuart V
Jun 29, 2008, 06:49 am

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

Crossroads: First 2 History paragraphs merged; Where are They Now? Info incorporated into final paragraph.

There's also additional information added in the first paragraph, and the Crossroads recent appearance in the Herc/Hulk crossover added, which is less obvious to spot because it went in the middle of the old history as the story was set some time back.

skippcomet
Jun 29, 2008, 06:50 am

Isn't the Forbidden Land from the 1960's Handbook now under the name "El Dorado"?

Also, if I may ask the writers, how did you decide on Chtylok to fill in the half-pages for C instead of, say, Cougar from the Western Files or any other character you could have picked from the Appendix?

Thanks for all your hard work, btw -- it's greatly appreciated.

Stuart V

Jun 29, 2008, 07:08 am

skippcomet wrote:

Isn't the Forbidden Land from the 1960's Handbook now under the name "El Dorado"?

Yes.

skippcomet wrote:

Also, if I may ask the writers, how did you decide on Chtylok to fill in the half-pages for C instead of, say, Cougar from the Western Files or any other character you could have picked from the Appendix?

We locked them in a room together and let them fight it out. Chtylok ate the others.

skippcomet wrote:

Thanks for all your hard work, btw -- it's greatly appreciated.

Thanks for buying them - also greatly appreciated.

Zach Kinkead

Jun 29, 2008, 10:37 am

Stuart V wrote:

We locked them in a room together and let them fight it out. Chtylok ate the others.

All hail the Che-K'n Kau!

Sidney Osinga

Jun 29, 2008, 10:48 am

Hey Andy, you left out the Crusaders from That 70's Handbook.

Andy E. Nystrom

Jun 29, 2008, 12:37 pm
I've corrected the oversights and Crusaders and El Dorado are now covered above. Thank you for pointing these out.
Re: Crossroads, thank you for pointing that out. Yes, for expediency sake I generally pick out changes by checking the start and end of a paragraph, so I'm more likely to miss changes if the continuity requires they be incorportated into the middle of a paragraph.

bigvis497

Jun 29, 2008, 02:34 pm

Madison Carter wrote:

Cyclops was definitely expanded. He originally had 2 pages in the X-Men 2004 Handbook, and in the Hardcover he had 3 pages. Expanded history, expanded powers section, several extra images added.

I think what Sidney means, and correct me Sidney if I'm wrong, is that for those type of entries we were hoping for a little more updating in the history section other then a couple "where are they now" paragraphs added on to the end. Like with Cyclops for example, it sums up everything from Phoenix Saga to Inferno in one paragraph. There's a lot of important character developments I was hoping would be covered like meeting Corsair for the first time, not getting along with Wolverine, grief over Thunderbird's death & fighting Storm for leadership of the X-Men. It seems the handbooks tend to favor the obscure, which is cool, reading about some of these minor characters makes me wanna go get their appearances now. Like Death Wreck for example, a pile of junk cyborg that inherited an alcoholic's brain? How could I not wanna read about that, lol. I just wish that a nice balance could be reached. If every little thing Dark Angel ever did gets listed, I think some of the big stuff like the afformentioned Cyclops activity, should as well.

Minor nitpicking aside, these are the greatest things since sliced bread and I can imagine how time-consuming it must be putting them together, all the hard work is definitely appreciated.

Sidney Osinga

Jun 30, 2008, 01:00 am

You're right, Bigvis497. I assumed that one of the main reasons for the Hardcover series was to give characters that received basic overviews of their history in the modern series get the space they deserve. I realize that the Cyclops' entry did include new info, but when you compare it to what we got last year (Mighty Avengers Most Wanted Files, for example), it's woefully inadequate. And don't get me started about the laughably short Domino entry :razz:

Andy E. Nystrom

Jul 2, 2008, 10:54 pm

Continuing my list of changes:

Marvel Zombies

Damballah: no significant changes

Darkhold: expanded from 3 to 4 pages. First History paragraph split in 2. Final paragraph revised and expanded. 9 new captioned illos (5 with first appearanes). Other headshots with first appearances increased from 15 to 18.

Demons: expanded from 8 to 9 pages. Paragraph beginning “Demons of the third class…” merged with previous paragraph (some additional rewriting) including new sentence at end. New sentence at end of paragraph starting with “Certain demons feed…” Final two paragraphs merged. It wouldn’t surprise me if there was other rewriting I missed. Four new illos with first appearances. First appearances added to three existing captions. Headshots expanded from 120 to 150 (note that some headshots were removed because their first appearance is in the earlier illos. List of unpictured demons revised.

Spider-Man 2004

All: Marital Status removed; Powers & Abilities merged with Paraphernalia; First Appearances moved from back of book to main text

Jean DeWolff: First History paragraph tweaked. New secondary illo added (editorial: I would have chosen a different one because Spider-Man’s more prominent in the illo while Jean’s barely visible).

Doppleganger: Power Grid revised.

Spider-Man 2005

All: Known Aliases now Aliases. Marital Status removed. Superhuman Powers, Abilities, Paraphernalia merged as Abilities/Accessories.

Daily Bugle: expanded from 1 to 3 pages. History completely revised/expanded. Both illos removed, replaced by 6 new ones (4 captioned), followed by 72 headshots with first appearances. Curiously, first appearance not added; Human Torch#3?

Digger: Education revised. Abilities/Accessories slightly revised. New captioned illo.

Doctor Octopus: Vital Statistics a little revised. Final History paragraph revised (last sentence removed, then paragraph greatly expanded). Power Grid revised. “New” main illo (actually the one from the old Handbooks); previous one now secondary/tilted to the left a little. Old secondary illo removed, four added (the two that are captioned are old Eliot Brown diagrams).

Electro: Vital Statistics a little revised. Final History paragraph replaced with new one. Hair revised. 3 new illos (1 captioned)

Spider-Man: Back in Black

Coldheart: no significant changes

Commanda: end of History revised

Daily Bugle: expanded from 2 to 3 pages. History almost completely revised/expanded. 6 new illos (4 captioned). In headshots, Laurie Lynton no longer listed as deceased, McTeer now Mike instead of J.J., Peter Parker no longer listed as “former”. Correction for future volumes: Jeff Mace should also be listed as deceased.

Delilah: No significant changes

Drom: No significant changes

X-Men 2005

All: Superhuman Powers, Abilities, Paraphernalia merged as Abilities/Accessories

Danger: Vital Statistics revised and expanded. Final Hisory paragraph expanded. Abilities/Accessories revised/reduced. Power Grid revised. Danger Room illo captioned, no longer overlaps main illo

Iron Manual

Timothy “Dum Dum” Dugan (originally listed as Dum Dum Dugan): no significant changes

Alternate Universes 2005

Crooked World: expanded from 1 to 2 pages. New sentence added to first History paragraph. 10 new illos numbered to correspond to a newly added key, plus five unnumbered headshots. Main illo also numbered.

Days of Future Past: Significant Inhabitants expanded. History mostly revised and expanded. Secondary illo removed, replaced with 2 new ones (1 captioned).

Deathlok (Manning): expanded from 2 to 3 pages. New final History paragraph added (i.e. before the Note) . Power Grid revised. Original illo modified (mainly leg positions). 3 classic Eliot Brown diagrams added (original bionics, skull, gun), plus 3 more illos added (2 captioned).

Earth-A (originally listed as Earth A – no hyphen): 3rd and 4th History paragraphs merged. New paragraph added to and of History. Captions added to illos. Main illo cropped.

Earth X: expanded from 2 to 4 pages. Significant Inhabitants expanded. Main and secondary illo replaced with new main illo and 8 secondary illos (1 captioned, the rest, including the main illo numbered to correspond with newly added key).

Mighty Avengers Most Wanted

No entries this volume.

A-Z 2

Crazy Eight: new captioned headshot

Update 1

Danger Man: Eyes and Hair revised. New secondary illo. Connection to Number 6, er, wrong Danger Man; sorry.

Daydream: Known Relatives tweaked.

Death’s Head (Warguard) (originally listed as Death’s Head 3.0): expanded from 1 to 2 pages. History completely revised and expanded, no longer shorter than the Note following it. 3 new illos (2 being parts diagrams), Power Grid added.

Diamondback (Stryker): no significant changes

Digitek: New sentence added to end of History

Droog: Known relatives tweaked.

Update 2

Captain: First appearance tweaked. History paragraphs merged. Illo tilted a bit to the left

Jean-Paul DuChamp: No significant changes

Elementals: No significant changes

Update 3

Cobra: New sentence added to end of History. Secondary illo added.

Crusader: Group Affiliation expanded, new sentence added to end of History.

Death Metal: No significant changes

Deathbird: New sentence added to end of History

Demogorge: First two History paragraphs merged, new sentence added to end of History.

Dragon Man: End of final History paragraph revised/expanded.

Update 4

Captain America (Revolutionary War): no significant changes

Chronok: no significant changes

Doctor Faustus: 2nd and 3rd History paragraphs merged; ditto 4th and 5th; final paragraph expanded.

Druig: End of History revised. 2 new secondary illos.

Andy E. Nystrom

Jul 2, 2008, 10:59 pm

One thing I've noticed while compiling these lists of changes is that this volume has more classic Eliot Brown diagrams than previous hardcovers. So I wanted to commend you on this important improvement to the hardcovers. Admittedly this might be random chance, i.e. where the letters fall, but regardless they added to the eye appeal of this volume.

Madison Carter

Jul 3, 2008, 12:35 am

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

Demons: expanded from 8 to 9 pages. Paragraph beginning “Demons of the third class…” merged with previous paragraph (some additional rewriting) including new sentence at end. New sentence at end of paragraph starting with “Certain demons feed…” Final two paragraphs merged. It wouldn’t surprise me if there was other rewriting I missed. Four new illos with first appearances. First appearances added to three existing captions. Headshots expanded from 120 to 150 (note that some headshots were removed because their first appearance is in the earlier illos. List of unpictured demons revised.

Bits and pieces all throughout. One example is the further clarification of the Great Old Ones.

Sidney Osinga

Jul 3, 2008, 03:52 am

Why was Delilah's recent appearance in the Loners series omitted?

Andy E. Nystrom

Jul 4, 2008, 01:17 pm

More changes:

Book of the Dead 2004

All: Marital Status removed; Superhuman Powers, Abilities, Paraphernalia merged as Abilities/Accessories

Cypher: Group Affiliation expanded. Last History paragraph has one sentence removed, then expanded. Two captioned secondary illos added.

Destiny (Destine): Identity revised. History heavily but not completely revised. Hair stat expanded. Abilities/Accessories and Power Grid mostly revised. 2 new secondary illos

Destiny (Adler): expanded from 1 to 2 pages. Vital Statistics heavily revised. History and Abilities/Accessories completely revised/expanded. Eyes and Hair revised. Fighting Skills revised. 5 secondary illos added (2 captioned).

Dorma: Known Relatives expanded. History somewhat revised and expanded.

Effigy: Height info reduced. Distinguishing Features removed. 2 new secondary illos

X-Men: Messiah Complex

Daken: Real Name, Known Relatives, and Abilities/Accessories revised. New info added to end of History paragraph.

Darwin: new secondary illo added

Dazzler (Blaire): Final History sentence slightly expanded

Johnny Dee: no significant changes

Annihilation Nova Corps Files

All: Background now History. Natural Abilities and Powers, Weapons, & Minions reworked as Abilities/Accessories. Most other categories removed and regular handbook categories added

Death: expanded from 1 to 2 pages. History and Abilities/Accessories completely revised and expanded. One secondary illo removed, 2 partly cropped but partly de-cropped, 1 de-cropped

Devos the Devastator: History mostly revised and expanded. Abilities/Accessories complete revised and expanded. Background removed from main illo. 1 secondary illo cropped, 3 removed.

Drax (originally listed as Drax the Destroyer): expanded from 1 to 2 pages. History and Abilities/Accessories completely revised and expanded. Main illo replaced with new one. 1 secondary illo cropped, 1 de-cropped, 2 removed.

Avengers 2004: no entries this volume
Avengers 2005: no entries this volume

Teams 2005

Defenders: Expanded from 2 to 6 pages. Vital Statistics revised and expanded. History completely revised and expanded. Illo removed. New main illo, 4 new secondary illos (all captioned), 48 new headshots with issues joined

Marvel Monsters

As this book is only used for filler, only covered for those monsters not previously found elsewhere. For all such cases presumably: Vital and Physical Statistics, Power Numbers added.

Chtylok: 2nd Paragraph heavily revised to form the two History paragraphs. 3rd paragraph revised to form the Abilities/Accessories paragraph. Illo now in colour.

Hulk 2004

All: Abilities, Superhuman Powers, Paraphernalia merged as Abilities/Accessories; Distinguishing Features and Marital Status removed

Doc Samson: Last History paragraph heavily expanded, new paragraph added. Abilities/Accessories completely revised and expanded. Main illos removed, replaced with new one. 2 new secondary illos

Nadia Dornova: 3rd and 4th History paragraphs merged, final paragraph greatly expanded. Note added.

World War Hulk Gamma Files

Captain Axis: Hair tweaked, Power Numbers revised

Golden Age 2004

All Individuals: Marital Status deleted; Superhuman Powers/Abilities/Paraphernalia/Limitations merged as Abilities/Accessories

Destroyer (Marlow /Aubrey): expanded from 1 to 2 pages (contrary to the back dustjacket, regrettedly Falsworth`s stats not included). Aliases, Group Affiliation, First Appearance revised. History and Abilities/Accessories completely revised and expanded. Power Grid revised. Right hand now visible in original illo. 5 captioned secondary illos added.

Doctor Druid: expanded from 1 to 2 pages. History completely revised and expanded. 2 new secondary illos

Women of Marvel 2005

All: Marital Status removed; Superhuman Powers, Abilities, Paraphernalia merged as Abilities/Accessories

Crystal: expanded from 1 to 2 pages. Vital Statistics revisedéexpanded. History mostly revised and expanded. New sentence added at end of Abilities/Accessories. New secondary illo

Dagger: expanded from 1 to 2 pages. Known Relatives and Group Affiliation expanded. History and Abilities/Accessories completely revised and expanded. 4 secondary illos added (3 captioned).

Dark Angel: expanded from 1 to 2 pages (note that the misprint starts half way into the entry, then both parts appear together once the misprint ends). Aliases tweaked. History and Abilities/Accessories mostly revised and expanded. Power Grid revised. New secondary illo.

Dazzler (Blaire): expanded from 1 to 3 pages. Vital Statistics, History, Abilities/Accessories completely revised and expanded. Hair stat expanded. Illo removed, reaplced with new main illo and 3 secondary illos (1 captioned). Power Grid revised.

Domino: Occupation and Group Affiliation revised. All History paragraphs merged except the last sentence which starts the new lengthy final paragraph. Distinguishing Features removed. Abilities/Accessories expanded.

New Avengers Most Wanted

All: Vital Statistics, Power Grid added; Abilities Renamed Abilities/Accessories; User Notes removed. Art credits added

Crossbones: expanded from 1 to 2 pages. History and Abilities/Accessories mostly revised and expanded. Hair stat expanded. 3 new secondary illos

Crossfire: expanded from 1 to 2 pages. History and Abilities/Accessories mostly revised and expanded. 2 new secondary illos (1 captioned).

Crusader (Blackwood): First History paragraph split in 2. Final History paragraph and Abilities/Accessories mostly revised. Secondary illo replaced with new one.

Cutthroat: 2nd History paragraph tweaked, final paragraph replaced with new one. Main illo less cropped. New captioned secondary illo

Deathwatch: First two History paragraphs split in 2 and expanded; final two paragraphs merged and expanded. New sentence added at end of Abilities/Accessories. Secondary illo replaced with new one.

Doctor Demonicus: expanded from 1 to 2 pages. History mostly revised and expanded. Note added. Distinguishing Features incorporated into Abilities/Accessories. New unmasked illo. 8 illos of monsters (7 captioned, Gojira uncaptioned for legal reasons).

Stuart V

Jul 4, 2008, 02:35 pm

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

Coldheart: no significant changes

There's some new text in there, a slight expansion of her history.

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

Crooked World: expanded from 1 to 2 pages. New sentence added to first History paragraph. 10 new illos numbered to correspond to a newly added key, plus five unnumbered headshots. Main illo also numbered.

Again, there's some other new text, and identification of some more residents, including one not named in the comic itself, but now kindly identified by Alan Davis

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

Captain: First appearance tweaked. History paragraphs merged. Illo tilted a bit to the left

History was also expanded, with some new info added.

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

Dragon Man: End of final History paragraph revised/expanded.

There's also new text covering his X-Men First Class appearance earlier in the entry.

Sidney Osinga wrote:

Why was Delilah's recent appearance in the Loners series omitted?

Frustrating though it is, simply oversight. I didn't realise she'd turned up again until the book had gone to print. Normally between us we are good with catching such things, but this one slipped through.

Captain Morgan

Jul 5, 2008, 06:49 pm

Does Amazon have this up for sale yet?

DragynWulf

Jul 5, 2008, 07:07 pm

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

Crossbones: expanded from 1 to 2 pages. History and Abilities/Accessories mostly revised and expanded. Hair stat expanded. 3 new secondary illos

This was a newly written profile essentially making it a new profile even though the character had a previous profile in NEW AVENGERS: MOST WANTED. All profiles from that handbook are being re-written.

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

Crossfire: expanded from 1 to 2 pages. History and Abilities/Accessories mostly revised and expanded. 2 new secondary illos (1 captioned).

Same as above.

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

Crusader (Blackwood): First History paragraph split in 2. Final History paragraph and Abilities/Accessories mostly revised. Secondary illo replaced with new one.

Same as above.

The unmasked inset image from NEW AVENGERS: MOST WANTED was an actually an image of Foolkiller (Kurt Gerhardt) from NEW AVENGERS #2 instead of Crusader (shown on same page 3rd panel). So the new inset image is essentially a Data Correction (and much better image than the one shown in NEW AVENGERS #2)

Madison Carter

Jul 6, 2008, 05:08 am

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

Destroyer (Marlow /Aubrey): expanded from 1 to 2 pages (contrary to the back dustjacket, regrettedly Falsworth`s stats not included). Aliases, Group Affiliation, First Appearance revised. History and Abilities/Accessories completely revised and expanded. Power Grid revised. Right hand now visible in original illo. 5 captioned secondary illos added.

Would like to point out that while what you say is true, it's only the tip of the iceberg for the reworking of this profile. What was changed has changed the character(s) completely from what was in the original profile.

Andy E. Nystrom

Jul 6, 2008, 11:31 am

DragynWulf wrote:

This was a newly written profile essentially making it a new profile even though the character had a previous profile in NEW AVENGERS: MOST WANTED. All profiles from that handbook are being re-written.

True as far as it goes, but some entries from that book incorporate more of the original text than others. If I can't find any original text I generally use "completely" whereas if I've a discover the odd bit of old text, I tend to use "mostly" and so on.

Andy E. Nystrom

Jul 6, 2008, 11:35 am

Madison Carter wrote:

Would like to point out that while what you say is true, it's only the tip of the iceberg for the reworking of this profile. What was changed has changed the character(s) completely from what was in the original profile.

Thank you for pointing that out. I haven't actually had a chance to read the entry (I'm simply good at skimming pretty fast and picking out key words) but you've caught my curiousity, so for my own interest I'll make a point of rereading the old entry right before reading the new one so see these changes in more depth.

Sidney Osinga

Jul 9, 2008, 05:14 pm

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

Crystar: History tweaked.

In the original entry, Kalibar was identified as Koth in the group picture, a mistake I pointed out. It has been corrected for this book.

Andy E. Nystrom

Jul 15, 2008, 01:56 pm

Sorry about the delay in continuing these. Great weather plus planning a 12-day trip.

Daredevil 2004

Daredevil: expanded from 5 to 6 pages. Vital Statistics revised. History: 3rd and 4th paragraphs merged; starting from paragraph reading “Foggy hired…” changes become a lot more extensive, though a lot of old material still present. Last two pages of new History text all new, but all new text shows up throughout. Abilities/Accessories also interweaves a lot of old and new text. Strength decreased, Energy Projection greatly increased. Old Matt Murdock illo removed, replaced with new one and 9 other new secondary illos (all captioned, though 2 share the caption). The Eliot R. Brown-drawn Daredevil’s Billy Club entry from #15 of original series added.

Milla Donovan: Vital Statistics revised. History completely revised. Abilities/Accessories a little reduced. Speed increased. New secondary illo.

Echo: Vital Statistics revised. Final History paragraph revised and expanded. New captioned secondary illo.

Echo: Vital Statistics revised. Final History paragraph revised and expanded. New captioned secondary illo.

A-Z 3

Crimson Dynamo (Gavrilov): One secondary illo now captioned.

Jaine Cutter: Final History paragraph expanded. New captioned secondary illo of fun.

Cyclone: First Appearance expanded. History somewhat expanded. New captioned secondary illo

Dark Gods: No significant changes

Dark Riders: History expanded. Main illo greatly enlarged. First Appearance and Abilities removed from headshots.

Darkdevil: History slightly expanded, at least in second paragraph. Speed revised. Left arm now fully visible in main illo.

Darkhold Redeemers: No significant changes.

Darkstar: 2nd last old History paragraph expanded; new final paragraph added. Speed revised. New captioned secondary illo.

Dazzler (Worthington) : No significant changes.

D’Bari: One caption moved to proper illo and new caption added.

Dead Girl: Final History paragraph split in 2 and second half expanded. New captioned secondary illo.

Death: New sentence added at end of History and end of Abilities/Accessories.

Deathcry: New History paragraph added. New captioned secondary illo.

Deathlok (Collins): Final sentence removed from History but new final paragraph added. Strength revised. New captioned secondary illo ( “Current Cyborg Form”; possibly inaccurate if he’s no longer a cyborg).

Deathlok (Truman & Young; originally M-Tech in parentheses): New sentence added at end of History. 2 new secondary illos.

Death’s Head (FPA): Final History sentence removed, replaced with 2 new sentences. Speed revised. Old secondary illo de-cropped, captioned; new captioned secondary illo.

Death’s Head (Minion): Speed revised. New captioned secondary illo, 9 captioned new headshots.

Deathweb: 3 new captioned headshots.

Debrii: History expanded.

Deluge: History tweaked. Right hand no longer visible in origninal illo; new secondary illo.

Demogoblin: No significant changes.

Demolition Man: Expanded from 1 to 2 pages. Group Affiliation tweaked. History completely revised/expanded. 5 new secondary illos (3 captioned).

Desak: Last History paragraph tweaked.

Desert Sword: No significant changes.

Deviants: Final History paragraph revised/expanded.

Devil-Slayer: New final History paragraph. Speed revised. New secondary illo.

Devlor: Abilities/Accessories expanded. Illo reversed (nitpick of all these illo revserals: technically there’s always subtle differences in the left and right sides of bodies).

Diamond Lil: Group Affiliation slightly expanded. Last sentence in History replaced with new one.

Diamondback (Leighton): Last two History paragraphs expanded. New secondary illo.

Diamondhead: Final History paragraph split in two and second half expanded.

Dimension of Manifestations: New large captioned secondary illo added.

Doctor Doom’s Generals: Lancer illo replaced with new one.

Doctor Nemesis: 2 new secondary illos (1 captioned).

Dominic Fortune: In History, watching newsreels bit removed, final paragraph revised/expanded. 1 secondary illo captioned, 1 removed; 2 new captioned secondary illos added.

Doomsday Man: expanded from 1 to 2 pages. History completely revised/expanded. Abilities/Accessories greatly revised/expanded. New main illo (old one now captioned secondary illo). Old secondary illo removed; 3 new secondary illos added (2 captioned).

Doop: new secondary illo

Dormammu: new secondary illo

Drax: Final History paragraph greatly expanded.

Ethan Edwards: Final History sentence expanded. 2 new captioned secondary illos

Wolverine 2004

Cyber: expanded from 1 to 2 pages. B Vital Statistics revised. History and Abilities/Accessories completely revised/expanded. Speed and Energy Projection revised. Original illo now secondary. New main illo, 2 new secondary illos 91 captioned).

Deadpool: expanded from 2 to 3 pages. Vital Statistics revised. History completely revised and expanded. Abilities/Accessories completely revised. Old secondary illo removed, 5 captioned new ones added.

X-Men 2004

Cyclops: Expanded from 2 to 3 pages. Known Relatives and Group Affiliation revised. Some History paragraphs merged; later History paragraphs as well as Abilities/Accessories greatly revised/expanded. 13 secondary illos added (6 captioned). Classic Eliot Brown Visor specs from added. Editorial: visually this entry is great but I have to agree that Scott deserved 4 pages minimum for his complex history.

To be continued...

DrGoodwrench

Jul 15, 2008, 07:54 pm

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

Deadpool: expanded from 2 to 3 pages. Vital Statistics revised. History completely revised and expanded. Abilities/Accessories completely revised. Old secondary illo removed, 5 captioned new ones added.

Deadpool has 4 pages.

Andy E. Nystrom

Jul 15, 2008, 10:52 pm

DrGoodwrench wrote:

Deadpool has 4 pages.

Correct. I meant 3 to 4 rather than 2 to 3.

Captain Morgan

Jul 16, 2008, 09:51 pm

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

Sorry about the delay in continuing these. Great weather plus planning a 12-day trip.

Daredevil 2004

Strength decreased, Energy Projection greatly increased. ...What sort of energy projection does DD have? His strength was at 450lbs. in the '83 handbook iirc. How much was it decreased?

Sidney Osinga

Jul 18, 2008, 01:15 am

I noticed that there was no reference to the events in Heralds in the Deathlok (Manning) entry, even though it was mentioned in the Earth X entry.

Captain Morgan

Jul 18, 2008, 08:40 pm

Just received my copy in the mail today. So far I'm 3 for 3 in collecting the series!

Andy E. Nystrom

Jul 19, 2008, 11:31 am

Captain Morgan wrote:

What sort of energy projection does DD have? His strength was at 450lbs. in the '83 handbook iirc. How much was it decreased?

The above came from the Power Grid. My guess is that the Energy Projection refers to his radar sense and not any damaging power.

Captain Morgan

Jul 19, 2008, 11:38 pm

Yea, the previous handbooks had DD's strength at a 2 and energy projection at 1 I recall. In Volume 2 Blade should have been a 4 as that's the minimum for superhuman strength. The text says he has superhuman strength but the grid says he's peakhuman, not sure where they are going there. I think the Civil War Damage Report said Blade could lift 1 ton.

Andy E. Nystrom

Aug 7, 2008, 11:40 pm

Final list of changes for v3 now that I'm back from a trip

Brand new entry

Death Wreck: expanded from 0 to 1 page. All text completely revised and expanded in every way imaginable. Blank page replaced with a main illo and a captioned secondary illo

Age of Apocalypse 2005

Dark Beast: Original illo replace with new main one and a secondary illo. Vital Staistics heavily revised/expanded. History completely revised/expanded. Abilitioes/Accessories completely revised. Strength decreased.

Horror 2005

Dracula: expanded from 3 to 4 pages. In History, events of 1890-1898 heavily expanded upon in multiple paragraphs; paragraph starting with “A later explosion…” replaced with 3 new paragraphs; two new final paragraphs. 6 new secondary illos (2 captioned).

D’Spayre: Physical stats added. Strength/Durability revised. New captioned secondary illo

Dweller-in-Darkness: Height revised. Original illo reversed. 2 new secondary illos.

Marvel Knights 2005

Daredevil: Expanded from 1 to 6 pages (entry closer to one in Daredevil volume). Known Relatives and Education tweaked. History and Abilities/Accessories completely revised/expanded. Energy Projection increased. Original illo replaced with new main illo, 11 secondary illos (8 captions, with 1 caption referring to 2 illos). Eliot Brown-drawn Billy Club entry from original series#15 added.

District X: expanded from 1 to 2 pages. Final sentence in History expanded and new final paragraph added. Original illo cropped at bottom left. Map added. 34 headshots with First Appearances added.

Doctor Strange: expanded from 4 to 5 pages. History paragraph starting with “During his years of study…” split in 2 and expanded; new sentence added at end of one starting with “Weeks later…”; last sentence of final paragraph removed and new material added; 2 new paragraphs added; there might be more changes to history that I’m overlooking. New main illo; old one reversed and new secondary. Old secondary illo rmoved, 7 new ones added (3 captioned)

Fantastic Four 2005

Doctor Doom: Known Relatives, Group Affiliation, final History paragraph expanded. 3 new illos (2 captioned). Doom is displeased.

Mystic Arcana

Dark Rider: no significant changes

Darklore: no significant changes

Diabolique: no significant changes

Divinity Drake: no significant changes

Dream Weaver: New final History paragraph added.

Dredmund the Druid: First 5 History paragraphs merged. Ditto final 3. Intelligence dropped on Power Grid. New captioned illo of Starwolf added.

A-Z 4

Damon Dran: More of body visible in main illo. One secondary illo captioned, the other resized and recoloured and thus easier to see.

Ego: End of one History paragraph mildly reworded. New captioned secondary illo

8-Ball: one secondary illo’s background now white

Elements of Doom: new sentence added to end of History

My photostream (over 7.5 million photos!)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24917258@N05/

Board footera