Who Watches the Watchers - Forum for the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe & Similar Works

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/24/2020 1:35 am  #1

Collages - Coming Up

Just to give a sense of what I have planed for future collages, and not wanting to highjack the general thread, here is what's to come. I'll delete from the first post as rounds begin and add/adjust as new ideas arise. I'm enjoying these collages enough that I might not go back to existing posters for a while.

Marvel Live
General notes: Apparently the Blade show is in the same continuity as the movies. There is less Marvel material, though that's changing, plus my collages have gotten bigger anyway, so those three may be enough for Marvel Live. Streaming okay. Sorry, no Deadpool movies as breaking the fourth wall drives me nuts, but any characters from them who've appeared outside the two movies is fair game. Haven't seen New Mutants or Dark Phoenix yet so limited (probably no) coverage there unless I watch in the meantime. A few things I've een little or nothing of will be incuded if I don't mind being spoiled. Nothing originating from upcoming projects as I'm trying to avoid spoilers. Material from Marvel productions that don't involve Marvel characters not included (e.g. Mutant X). Treating the two main X-Men movie timelines as the same because there are cases (notably First Class) where a character appears prior to divergence, thus making it hard to pinpoint timelines from a single photo. Also, I don't want to bog down the collage with so many x-counterparts. However, the Logan timeline is a lot easier to separate visually from other timelines, so counterparts will be treated separately.
Marvel Live - Supporting Cast/Grab Bag (for a few characters missed in the earluier two rounds); some unnmaed but interesting characters - In progress.

Non-DC/Marvel Live - Superheroes (including characters never seen in comics); Some Marvel characters allowed if they are part of creator owned lines that don't normally connect to Marvel - list in progress; note that some superheroes included may be unfortunate stereotypes for one reason or another but are included because they are intersting in some manner. List created of over 300 characters. No barbarians, no jungle heroes unless they're fully costumed (not just wearing a small amount of animal skin). I would have liked to have included characters from commercials but many are unnamed and again the list is already over 300
Non-DC/Marvel Live - Other Characters from Superhero Projects - select villains and supporting characters related to the above; most of the above won't be covered, just some key ones. In at least one case the supporting cast and villains will be saved for a separate collage.
Non-DC/Marvel Live - Characters from Non-Superhero Projects Based on Comics.

DC Animated - Superheroes
DC Animated - Villains
DC Animated - Everyone Else
The cut off will probably be Justice League Unlimited. After that, except for the Dini stuff, my interest wanes a bit, and more importantly, variants start to really multiply (even JL Unlimited is pushing it there). And with a few exceptions such as New Frontier and Lego, there's the risk of too many characters you really have to strain to tell apart showing up (for this reason the Filmation pre-Super Friends might be treated as same continuity as Super Friends, though I'll allow New Adventures of Batman, which ran concurrently, as a separate continuity; research needed here; pre-super Friends TV cartoons were filmatkion and Super Friends Hanna-Barbera; I may decide they're separate after all).

Marvel Animated - Superheroes
Marvel Animated - Villains
Marvel Animated - Everyone Else
Again, my knowledge fails after a certain point, plus they also really start to multiply. Likely cut-off is 1990s Incredible Hulk series. I'll take a look and see if 1980s Spider-Man looks distinct enough from Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends to treat separately; in this instance it's less a continuity issue and more a potential too close a look issue.

Non-DC/Marvel Animated - Superheroes (including characters never seen in comics) - possibly merged with Live
Non-DC Marvel Animated Projects based on Comics: Depending on what I find, this may be all one post

Vampires - Live and  maybe Animated
Zombies - Live; in many cases zombies can be identified by who they were before passing
Other humanoid monsters (lycanthropes, Franeknstein Monster variants, Michael Myers variants, etc)

DC Live: Streaming, Watchmen, Paradox Press, Others Who Missed Their Slot
Marvel Live: Others Who Missed Their Slot

Things will continue beyond this point, but I think that's a good start.

Last edited by Andy E. Nystrom (11/18/2020 7:15 am)

My photostream (over 5.6 million photos!)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24917258@N05/

10/28/2020 4:28 pm  #2

Re: Collages - Coming Up

Updated the above. Loki, would you like me to avoid final season Agents of SHIELD characters in the Marvel collages? I'm fine with leaving them out if needed.

10/29/2020 12:54 am  #3

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

Updated the above. Loki, would you like me to avoid final season Agents of SHIELD characters in the Marvel collages? I'm fine with leaving them out if needed.

Disney+ are apparently going to be adding AoS S7 to their UK lineup starting late next month, albeit weekly so it's take until the new year for all the episodes to air. However, I'm fine with including characters from it in collages - at worst, that'd spoil surprise appearances of characters getting their MCU debut. I can live with that. It's getting stuff like character deaths spoiled that I hate.

11/05/2020 9:49 am  #4

Updated my notes on Marvel, including notes on how I've chosen to handle the X-Men movies, which are the same timeline from First Class up until Wolverine arrives from the future (from the X-Men perspective) in Days of Future Past.

11/08/2020 7:20 am  #5

Updated the above. Might shuffle the order depending on my mood.

One general thought with the collages: It takes a few hours to create collages especially since I'm now creating lists in advance rather than going from memory so I want the collages to last a bit. Plus I want to make sure everyone has a decent crack at these, since not everyone who might want to participate is going to be on these boards everyday. So what I propose is, no more the 50 guesses per person per 24 hour period. Minor numbering corrections don't count towards the tally but actual incorrect guesses do. so if your first guess is at 1:13 pm/13:13 your time, your 51st guess could not be before 1:13 pm/13:13 your time the following day. Multiple guesses in one post cumulative. Obviously four people working together in the same timeframe could still clear a 187 image collage in a day, but that is unlikely. Does that seem fair to everyone?

11/08/2020 7:27 am  #6

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

So what I propose is, no more the 50 guesses per person per 24 hour period.

You can cut it to fewer than that if you like. I know this is mostly inspired by me, as I do have a tendency to just blitzkrieg through the collages. I'll restrain myself a bit in future, as I really wasn't trying to hog the entire collage.

11/08/2020 8:10 am  #7

Okay, let's go with 30 per 24 hour period then. That way most collages should last a week give or take, which gives me plenty of breathing space to create new collages, and will definitely ensure that anyone who wants to play can do so.

11/12/2020 1:47 pm  #8

Updated notes on the first post.

11/18/2020 7:15 am  #9

Updated notes on the first post.

Board footera