Who Watches the Watchers - Forum for the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe & Similar Works 20 YEARS! 2004-2024

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/27/2020 1:54 pm  #211

Re: TV Series Trivia

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

Sorry about the Edward error

For the British sci-fi ones:
I know of #1 (haven't seen but read about it) but the title is escaping me at the moment

7. Spaced
11. "I'll be home for breakfast." Ace Rimmer, Red Dwarf.

Both (all four, really) of those are correct.

11/27/2020 2:01 pm  #212

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

1: Blake's Seven. I remembered it had a number in the title; I just needed to figure out which number and whose number it was.

That's the one. Blake had left after the second season, but came back for the final episode of the fourth only to be shot dead by his former second, the show's replacement lead, Avon. Their spaceship had crashed and been destroyed beyond repair, and the ship's computer, Slave, counted as one of the titular seven, had been destroyed with it. Troops from the fascistic Federation gunned down all the rebels bar Avon, then surrounded him, guns pointed at his face. He'd been standing stunned looking down at the corpse of his friend Blake, while his crew had been being shot. Only once surrounded did he seem to notice his foes all around him, raised his gun, and smiled. And then the screen went black and the credits rolled, with no theme music, just the sound of multiple shots being fired. An unbelievably dark ending.

Though, of course, anyone who was enough of a fan could tell the difference between the sounds Avon's gun made and the sound of Federation blasters, and the last shot heard was definitely from Avon's gun.

11/27/2020 4:15 pm  #213

For my own quiz, 2 is correct. As unlikely as it may seem, Ed Asner was the voice of Granny Goodness in Superman, as well as an episode of Justice League Unlimited
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlhUfX1C4lA

What's even more amazing is how many project's he's actively involved with presently, considering he just turned 91. Probably the reason he's still alive is that whenever the Grim Reaper tries to set up an appointment with him, it keeps getting sent to voicemail.
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000799/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

My photostream (over 7.5 million photos!)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24917258@N05/

11/29/2020 8:01 am  #214

Bumping the remaining questions. If no one guesses any in the next 24 hours I'll add some clues.
All British SF and fantasy TV trivia
2. What was the name of the short lived near future police drama set in the "high frontier" of orbiting space stations and moonbase?
3. Name two sitcoms, separated by decades, both of which feature spectres haunting run-down stately homes.
4. Another sitcom, aimed at children, featured orphans being adopted by extra-terrestrials masquerading as humans. Name it.
5. Yet another sitcom was about an employment agency that hired out undead spirits. Name it.
6. In which otherwise non-fantasy/non-SF sitcom did the TARDIS materialize in the background of the first episode, a silhouetted Doctor emerge, look around, and then depart again without interacting with anyone or otherwise getting involved in the story?
8. Name the show that featured a private detective working with the ghost of his murdered partner. I'll accept the name it was given for U.S. airings, though the U.K. title is preferred.
9, In the remake of the above, an actor much better known for another genre role played the part of the dead detective's ghostly mentor. Which actor?
10. The superhero sitcom No Heroics took place mostly in what setting that provided the show's title?
13. Which actor who played a Doctor Who companion became better known as a very-long running presenter on BBC children's show Blue Peter?
14. John Steed has worked with many women, but only two men - Dr. David Keel and... ?
15. What carnivorous plants took over Earth after most of humanity was blinded overnight?

11/29/2020 9:20 am  #215

Loki wrote:

Bumping the remaining questions. If no one guesses any in the next 24 hours I'll add some clues.
2. What was the name of the short lived near future police drama set in the "high frontier" of orbiting space stations and moonbase?
3. Name two sitcoms, separated by decades, both of which feature spectres haunting run-down stately homes.
4. Another sitcom, aimed at children, featured orphans being adopted by extra-terrestrials masquerading as humans. Name it.
5. Yet another sitcom was about an employment agency that hired out undead spirits. Name it.
6. In which otherwise non-fantasy/non-SF sitcom did the TARDIS materialize in the background of the first episode, a silhouetted Doctor emerge, look around, and then depart again without interacting with anyone or otherwise getting involved in the story?
8. Name the show that featured a private detective working with the ghost of his murdered partner. I'll accept the name it was given for U.S. airings, though the U.K. title is preferred.
9, In the remake of the above, an actor much better known for another genre role played the part of the dead detective's ghostly mentor. Which actor?
10. The superhero sitcom No Heroics took place mostly in what setting that provided the show's title?
13. Which actor who played a Doctor Who companion became better known as a very-long running presenter on BBC children's show Blue Peter?
14. John Steed has worked with many women, but only two men - Dr. David Keel and... ?
15. What carnivorous plants took over Earth after most of humanity was blinded overnight?

Is researched allowed for this quiz?

11/29/2020 9:58 am  #216

zuckyd1 wrote:

Loki wrote:

Is researched allowed for this quiz?

Hmm. Not for 10, 13 or 14 yet, as anyone could get the answer just by looking the named characters or shows up on Wikipedia, which would be a tad too easy. Yes for the others. 

11/29/2020 10:48 am  #217

Loki wrote:

2. Space Precinct
3. The Ghosts of Motley Hall, Ghosts
4. My Parents Are Aliens
5. Rentaghost
6. Chelmsford 123
8. Randall and Hopkirk (Deceased)
9. Tom Baker
15. triffids

Last edited by zuckyd1 (11/29/2020 10:49 am)

11/29/2020 12:15 pm  #218

zuckyd1 wrote:

Loki wrote:

2. Space Precinct
3. The Ghosts of Motley Hall, Ghosts
4. My Parents Are Aliens
5. Rentaghost
6. Chelmsford 123
8. Randall and Hopkirk (Deceased)
9. Tom Baker
15. triffids

2 isn't the show I meant, though it does fit most of my somewhat imprecise wording. I thought I'd excluded Space Precinct by including "near future" but I see that SP was set in 2040, which really isn't that far away. Afaik, SP only involves a single space station in another solar system, and not any moonbases. Regardless, I will count it as correct for zuckyd, as I wasn't as clear in my question as I should have been. Clarifying #2 - for the show I meant, the "high frontier" means near Earth orbit, and it is a Lunar moonbase on Earth's moon.

All the others are correct. 
3 Ghosts is currently still being made, with 2 series down so far, and another to come, plus a Christmas special. The basic premise is very similar to the 1970s show Ghosts of Motley Hall, though I doubt the creators of Ghosts even knew of the prior show; only a few of them are close to my age, and those few are two to three years younger. Since I barely recall GoMH airing, and had to seek it out on DVD, someone even two years younger probably would never have seen it. Both are great series and worth hunting down, though GoMH is definitely a more sedate comedy.

5. Rentaghost ran for a decent eight years, and was (from my childhood recollections) a pretty decent show to begin with. Sadly (and again, my opinion only), as time passed the writing got increasingly aimed at the juvenile. 

6. Chelmsford 123 was a historical sitcom, set in the town of Chelmsford (a real place with a reputation for being very average and boring) in the year 123 AD, during the Roman occupation. It was produced for Channel 4, a rival channel to the BBC who own Doctor Who, which makes the unauthorized cameo even more amusing.

8. Randall and Hopkirk (Deceased) - aired in the US as "My Partner, the Ghost." Originally made for one season of 26 episodes in 1969-1970, it got remade in 2000 for a two season run that only lasted 13 episodes total. And as 9 indicates, Tom Baker was a regular as the elder ghost Wyvern, mentor to newly deceased Marty Hopkirk.

15 Triffids, from the novel Day of the Triffids by John Wyndham (also known as for The Midwich Cuckoos, adapted as Village of the Damned). DotT has been adapted three times, once very badly as an American movie which added a happy ending of stupid proportions (the triffids were killed by rain!), once in a very good miniseries in the early 1980s, and once in a passable miniseries only a few years back.

11/29/2020 2:20 pm  #219

2. Star Cops

11/29/2020 3:54 pm  #220

zuckyd1 wrote:

2. Star Cops

Yes. Star Cops. A very short run, made even shorter by a strike that cost the first season an episode, and then cancelled by the BBC. It was a great show and another one I'd recommend seeking out if you can.

12/02/2020 3:34 am  #221

Loki wrote:

With no guesses for several days, I think I need to allow research into these questions. Just to let it be even slightly a challenge, I'd suggest no looking up the named shows on Wikipedia nor any dedicated wiki sites for them. Even without access to those, I can't imagine it'll take more than a Google search with the right key words to turn up the answers.

12/02/2020 11:33 am  #222

Loki wrote:

Loki wrote:

With no guesses for several days, I think I need to allow research into these questions. Just to let it be even slightly a challenge, I'd suggest no looking up the named shows on Wikipedia nor any dedicated wiki sites for them. Even without access to those, I can't imagine it'll take more than a Google search with the right key words to turn up the answers.

10. The Fortress pub, which had a few rules.
13. Peter Purves
14. Mike Gambit

12/02/2020 11:49 am  #223

zuckyd1 wrote:

Loki wrote:

Loki wrote:

10. The Fortress pub, which had a few rules.
13. Peter Purves
14. Mike Gambit

All of those are correct. The Fortress Pub was a superhero pub which had rules including "No Heroics" while attending it. Hence the series' name.

Peter Purves played space pilot Stephen Taylor, a companion of the first Doctor, before becoming a presenter on Blue Peter for over a decade.

Mike Gambit was Steed's partner in The New Avengers revival series, alongside Joanna Lumley's Purdey.

12/05/2020 12:48 pm  #224

Calling a day on the following related to the letter E:

7. This popular US drama was about a couple of paramedics

12/05/2020 1:36 pm  #225

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

Calling a day on the following related to the letter E:

7. This popular US drama was about a couple of paramedics

Emergency?

12/05/2020 2:44 pm  #226

7 is correct. To avoid too much overlap with the comic trivia round. I'll still start the next round tomorrow.

12/06/2020 7:22 am  #227

This round is simply who played who on various shows (all live action)

Who played...
1. Notch Johnson on Son of the Beach?
2. Jack McGee on The Incredible Hulk?
3. Marcy Rhodes on Married... with Children?
4. Shane on The Shield?
5. Al Delvecchio on Joanie Loves Chachi?
6. John Diggle on Arrow?
7. Deke on Agents of SHIELD?
8. Peter Parker on Spider-Man?
9. Spider-Man on The Electric Company?
10. Brett Parker on Power Play?
11. Pearl Forrester on Mystery Science Theater 3000?
12. Mike Ehrentraut on Breaking bad?
13. Pete Ross on Smallville?
14. Megan Lockhart on The Flash (1990 series)?
15. Sarah Jane Smith on The Sarah Jane Adventures?
16. Smithy on Gavin & Stacey?
17. Capable Woman on Almost Live!?
18. Gerald Ford on Saturday Night Live?
19. Gloria Dinallo on Misfits of Science?
20. Claire Bennett on Heroes?
21. Duane Dibley on Red Dwarf?

12/06/2020 8:00 am  #228

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

This round is simply who played who on various shows (all live action)

Who played...
8. Peter Parker on Spider-Man?
18. Gerald Ford on Saturday Night Live?
19. Gloria Dinallo on Misfits of Science?

8. Nicholas Hammond
14. Amanda Pays
18. Chevy Chase
19. Courtney Cox?

12/06/2020 8:06 am  #229

15 Elisabeth Sladen
16 James Corden
20 Hayden Panettiere
21 Danny John-Jules

12/06/2020 8:34 am  #230

Most of those are correct. However Amanda Pays played Tina McGee on The Flash, not Megan Lockhart.

12/12/2020 5:48 am  #231

Calling a day on the following:
4. Shane on The Shield?
6. John Diggle on Arrow?
12. Mike Ehrentraut on Breaking Bad?

12/13/2020 7:19 am  #232

Remaining answers:

Timothy Stack

Jack Colvin

Amanda Bearse

4. Shane on The Shield?
Walton Goggins

Al Molinaro

6. John Diggle on Arrow?
David Ramsey

Jeff Ward

Danny Seagren

Michael Riley

Mary Jo Pehl

12. Mike Ehrentraut on Breaking Bad?
Jonathan Banks

Sam Jones III

Joyce Hyser

Nancy Guppy

12/13/2020 7:38 am  #233

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

Sam Jones III

He looks nothing like his grandfather.

12/13/2020 8:38 am  #234

You could have fun merging their theme songs:
"Somebody saaaave me!"
"Flash, uh uh, he saved every one of us."

1/10/2021 11:28 am  #235

This quiz is devoted to the letter F

1. Other than the Flash, which hero beginning with the letter F was introduced in the first season of the modern Flash series?
2. Who was one of Hawkeye Pierce's nemesis on MASH?
3. Which series was about a dolphin?
4. Which series introduced the Benjy Grimm version of the Thing, and which subsequent series also had Thing sequences?
5. Malcolm McDowell played the lead character in the second version of which popular series? (it was implied that the lead character in the earlier series was the same person).
6. The villainess in the first season of Gotham was unique to the series?
7. The android Alpha appeared in an episode of which series?
8. Ray Combs was the host for most of the second US incarnation of which game show?
9. This was a spinoff of Diff'rent Strokes
10. Colt Seavers was the main character of which series?
11. Don Rickles co-hosted this bloopers series
12. The One-Armed Man was a recurring nemesis on which series (and follow-up versions)?
13. Janette was a vampire on which series?
14. Which company produced the He-Man and the Masters of the Universe cartoon series?
15. This series was about an astronaut forced to work with fugitives after being lost in a wormhole.
16. Who hosted the reality series Flavor of Love?
17. The first season of this 1970s-1980s animated sci-fi series had a season-long storyline?
18. Book was a character in which series?

1/10/2021 11:51 am  #236

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

1. Other than the Flash, which hero beginning with the letter F was introduced in the first season of the modern Flash series?
3. Which series was about a dolphin?
9. This was a spinoff of Diff'rent Strokes
12. The One-Armed Man was a recurring nemesis on which series (and follow-up versions)?
14. Which company produced the He-Man and the Masters of the Universe cartoon series?
16. Who hosted the reality series Flavor of Love?

1. Firestorm?
3. Flipper
9. Facts of Life
12. The Fugitive
14. Filmmation?
16. Flavor-Flav

1/10/2021 12:15 pm  #237

Those are all correct.

1/10/2021 4:08 pm  #238

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

2. Who was one of Hawkeye Pierce's nemesis on MASH?
4. Which series introduced the Benjy Grimm version of the Thing, and which subsequent series also had Thing sequences?
5. Malcolm McDowell played the lead character in the second version of which popular series? (it was implied that the lead character in the earlier series was the same person).
6. The villainess in the first season of Gotham was unique to the series?
10. Colt Seavers was the main character of which series?
13. Janette was a vampire on which series?
15. This series was about an astronaut forced to work with fugitives after being lost in a wormhole.
18. Book was a character in which series?

2 Frank Burns
4 Fred and Barney Meet the Thing, Fred and Barney Meet the Shmoo
5 Fantasy Island
6 Fish Mooney
10 Fall Guy
13 Forever Knight
15 Farscape
18 Firefly

1/10/2021 4:43 pm  #239

Those are all correct.

1/14/2021 2:21 am  #240

8. The Flash (1990)?

Board footera