Who Watches the Watchers - Forum for the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe & Similar Works 20 YEARS! 2004-2024

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/18/2020 4:24 am  #1

It Came... from OUTSIDE the Comics!!!

A thread dedicated to characters or information about same that was first revealed outside the regular comics - specifically for Marvel here, but I'm not adverse to a similar thread in the general comics section for non-Marvel examples. 

Note that this is not meant to include stuff fans made up on Wiki sites that then leaked back into the comics, nor is it intended to cover info first revealed in official solicits or preview titles like Marvel Age, etc. (because then we'd be overwhelmed with examples). Nor do I want to include licensed characters who got integrated into 616; same problem that they'd overrun the thread.

In terms of characters, a few obvious examples spring to mind:
Firestar, and less prominently, Videoman, both appeared in the Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends cartoon.
X-23 debuted in the X-Men: Evolution cartoon.

Info about characters: 
Blade's real name of Eric Brooks originated in the Wesley Snipes movies. It's not automatic that name reveals in the movies or TV shows would echo back to the comics (cf the Burglar's name being revealed in Raimi's Spider-Man), but we checked with editorial when we did Blade's handbook entry whether this was to carry over to 616, and were told yes. 

12/18/2020 8:38 am  #2

Re: It Came... from OUTSIDE the Comics!!!

Coulson of course came from Iron Man. Fitz, Simmons, May, and Ward came from Agents of SHIELD. HERBIE came from The New Fantastic Four.

One case where something came from the comics, but got tweaked in a movie in a way that made it into the comics was Whiplash. For Iron Man 2 they gave him the real name of one of the Crimson Dynamos, and then a Whiplash with that real name made his way into the comics. Likewise, a Nick Fury who looks like Samuel Jackson started in the Ultimate Comics and then moved to the MCU played by Jackson, but then a version of the MCU character who had a past history with Coulson not seen in the Ultimate version made his way into the 616/Prime continuity.

My photostream (over 7.5 million photos!)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24917258@N05/

12/19/2020 1:44 pm  #3

While Morph from X-Men: The Animated Series was based on Changeling, courterparts using the Morph codename appeared in the comics afterward.

12/23/2020 8:52 am  #4

The characters introduced in Next Avengers: Heroes of Tomorrow
later made appearances in the 616 comics. And not just 616's versions of these characters, as had been the case for X-23, Firestar, etc, but the actual characters from the cartoon.

12/23/2020 8:55 am  #5

Spiderverse also brought in some of the cartoon versions of Spider-Man, and the Japanese TV series Spider-Man.

12/23/2020 10:03 am  #6

One interesting thing about Firestar, come to think of it: strictly speaking the Firestar from the cartoon first appeared in a comic book, as the Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends one-shot comic book came out right before the series. It was an adaptation of an episode, so without the cartoon the comic wouldn't have happened, but it does muddy the waters a tiny bit.

12/24/2020 3:06 pm  #7

Loki wrote:

The characters introduced in Next Avengers: Heroes of Tomorrow later made appearances in the 616 comics. And not just 616's versions of these characters, as had been the case for X-23, Firestar, etc, but the actual characters from the cartoon.

Is that the first (or only) time a reality from outside the comics has been canonized as actually being a possible future of 616?

12/24/2020 3:15 pm  #8

12/24/2020 4:01 pm  #9

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

One interesting thing about Firestar, come to think of it: strictly speaking the Firestar from the cartoon first appeared in a comic book, as the Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends one-shot comic book came out right before the series. It was an adaptation of an episode, so without the cartoon the comic wouldn't have happened, but it does muddy the waters a tiny bit.

A valid point, though I think we can still allow her given she was developed for the cartoon first.

12/24/2020 4:01 pm  #10

zuckyd1 wrote:

Loki wrote:

The characters introduced in Next Avengers: Heroes of Tomorrow later made appearances in the 616 comics. And not just 616's versions of these characters, as had been the case for X-23, Firestar, etc, but the actual characters from the cartoon.

Is that the first (or only) time a reality from outside the comics has been canonized as actually being a possible future of 616?

Off the top of my head, yes, I think so.

Board footera