Who Watches the Watchers - Forum for the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe & Similar Works 20 YEARS! 2004-2024

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/05/2020 9:10 am  #1

Could there have been an Iron Man Handbook released for Iron Man 3?

Historical text from Comixfan:

Skippcomet

May 22, 2013, 03:31 am

It occurred to me a few weeks ago that Iron Man 3 is the first movie starring Iron Man that did not have an Iron Man-themed handbook published at the same time. But then I wondered if there could have been enough entries for such a handbook. The last two IM handbooks, as well as the Avengers-themed handbooks and the A-Z styled ones, seem to have covered a fairly deep reserve of Iron Man-related characters, so much so that when I looked up the list of Iron Man-related characters at the Appendix site, I was hard pressed to find any uncovered characters who would have made for at least a single page. Other than updates for Stark, Pepper, Rhodey, and the Mandarin (if there was enough material for updates), I can't imagine who else to put in one. Does anybody have any nominees for inclusion in yet another Iron Man HB, or does everybody agree that's been pretty tapped out?

(And hey, while we're at it...could there have been a theoretical Wolverine-themed handbook to be released for the upcoming The Wolverine movie, or is that area pretty tapped out, too?)

Michael Regan

May 22, 2013, 07:32 am

Actually, I would love to see handbooks on the actualy theatrical releases of not only the cinematic universe, but of many of the Marvel properties released over the years... going way back to the Captain America serial of 1944. I know it is unlikely, but I can dream.

Tapped out? When it comes to alternate versions of old favourites I would not think so.

Andy E. Nystrom

May 22, 2013, 09:23 am

There's probably a number of Stark-related companies other than Stark Industries that have appeared over the years that could warrant a page or more. Plus some of the specific wearers of the Crimson Dynamo armour (thus far we've mostly only seen all the Crimson Dynamos lumped together or at least certain ones, but some of the more prominent wearers, such as Dmitri Bukharin and Anton Vanko deserve their own entries). And the Sentient Armor, particularly given that its return has been announced.

Sidney Osinga

May 22, 2013, 12:27 pm

Also, the Handbook could have been titled "Iron Man: the Armored Avenger" and contained some Avenger related entries, and not purely Iron Man ones.

Michael Regan

May 22, 2013, 12:46 pm

How many "other media" appearances of Iron Man have there been? I think a book for each version would be good. It could be huge if supporting cast were included.

Marvel Super Heroes: Iron Man (1966) animated
Iron Man (1994) animated
Iron Man: Armored Adventures (2009) animated
Iron Man (2010) anime
Iron Man (2008) live action

These are the featured films and cartoons, but there are also other works which have included Iron Man including team productions and, of course, sequels.

Stuart V

May 22, 2013, 01:42 pm

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

There's probably a number of Stark-related companies other than Stark Industries that have appeared over the years that could warrant a page or more. Plus some of the specific wearers of the Crimson Dynamo armour (thus far we've mostly only seen all the Crimson Dynamos lumped together or at least certain ones, but some of the more prominent wearers, such as Dmitri Bukharin and Anton Vanko deserve their own entries). And the Sentient Armor, particularly given that its return has been announced.

I'd agree that another Iron Man handbook could have given individual entries to at least some of the individuals who have been the Crimson Dynamo - Dmitri Bukharin in particular is deserving, as he's had multiple identities and turned up out of armour too. Masque, the Madame Masque bio-duplicate who worked with the Avengers, could get her own entry. Defensor, who fought Iron Man during Contest of Champions, could a half page, his first entry since the original handbook series. The Froma alien race. Subterranea's Outcasts. Paragon of the Initiative. Grace of the Knights of Pendragon. Raga. Saberbat. Savage Steel. And that's just a small selection of people with direct ties to Iron Man; add in those he encountered as part of the Avengers or Force Works and you've got a massive list of options. The real question is "star" power; outside of the updates, you are running low on big names who have yet to be covered.

Michael Regan

May 22, 2013, 02:14 pm

And the big names are what sell...

Andy E. Nystrom

May 22, 2013, 09:28 pm

Stuart V wrote:

The real question is "star" power; outside of the updates, you are running low on big names who have yet to be covered.

I was about to make a joke about the Termite but then I realized that even he's been covered.

I do like the other media idea, as long as there are no legal/royalty issues involved. Even if you couldn't get Downey, exclusive photos of the armour might help sales.

My photostream (over 7.5 million photos!)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24917258@N05/

Board footera