Who Watches the Watchers - Forum for the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe & Similar Works 20 YEARS! 2004-2024

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/07/2020 10:41 am  #1

OHotMU A-Z Vol. 2 TPB

Historical text from Comixfan:

Zachary J. Morrison

Aug 22, 2011, 01:24 pm

Coming from Marvel in November...

OFFICIAL HANDBOOK OF THE MARVEL UNIVERSE A TO Z VOL. 2 TPB
Written by THE OHOTMU TEAM, led by MIKE O’SULLIVAN and overseen by JEFF CHRISTIANSEN
Cover by TOM GRUMMETT

AT LAST! The landmark, encyclopedia-style Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe hardcover series is reprinted in softcover format! Each volume has corrected any errors in all profiles — and features an all-new “Where Are They Now?” update addendum with text and art! An indispensable resource for all true Marvel fans! Vol. 2 spotlights hundreds of characters beginning with B and C — including Blade, the Brood, Bullseye, Cable, Luke Cage, Cannonball, Captain America, Carnage, Celestials, the Cosmic Cube, Amadeus Cho and Colossus!
256 PGS./Rated T+ …$19.99
ISBN: 978-0-7851-5831-8

bigvis497

Nov 4, 2011, 01:37 am

Something I've been wondering. Since Colossus didn't wear the costume from his main image in the hardcovers, are there plans in place to replace his image a la Banshee in the first TPB?

And how exactly would something like that work since it's an error correction and not really an update? Would you replace the image with what we was wearing when the HC came out in 2008 (the Cassady-designed costume)? Or would you use the modified San Fransisco version (I don't think he was wearing that yet when the HB was originally published)?

Captain Morgan

Nov 13, 2011, 12:31 am

When does this book come out?

Phoenixx9

Nov 13, 2011, 11:40 am

What are the updated features for this volume?

Stuart V

Nov 13, 2011, 04:41 pm

Captain Morgan wrote:

When does this book come out?

November 30th I believe.

Phoenixx9 wrote:

What are the updated features for this volume?

Looking at the update pages, while there's a lot of individuals who get at least a few lines of update, the big updates go to Blastaar, Blink, both Bloodstones, Brother Voodoo, Bug, Bullseye, Cable, Captain America (Rogers), Captain America (Barnes), Captain Britain, Carnage, Celestials, Centurius, Amadeus Cho, Clan Destine, Cloak, Colossus, the Corps and the Council of Godheads.

Phoenixx9

Nov 13, 2011, 07:04 pm

Thanks Stuart.

Wow. :chin: Makes me think maybe I do want to purchase this issue for the updated characters...

Andy E. Nystrom

Nov 30, 2011, 05:00 pm

Got it. The Appendix actually makes Handbook history in a sense: In the Corps update, for the first time a character from the long running children's comic Spidey Super-Stories is depicted, as that series' Captain Britain is a member of the Corps. It would be nice to see that world's Spider-Man get an entry, maybe as a half-pager so if need be so the History could focus on the non-licensed characters he helped and fought.

captainswift

Nov 30, 2011, 05:03 pm

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

Got it. The Appendix actually makes Handbook history in a sense: In the Corps update, for the first time a character from the long running children's comic Spidey Super-Stories is depicted, as that series' Captain Britain is a member of the Corps. It would be nice to see that world's Spider-Man get an entry, maybe as a half-pager so if need be so the History could focus on the non-licensed characters he helped and fought.

I would write Earth-Spidey Super-Stories in a minute if it came up.

Andy E. Nystrom

Nov 30, 2011, 08:17 pm

First off, bad news for all you Earth-7614 fans: looks like it got omitted from the Core Continuum Designations. I'm guessing any actual updates to that will wait for the end of that section in v5?

Updates:
Blackwulf
Blade (cross-reference only)
Blastaar
Blazing Skull
Blink
Blizzard
Blob
Blood Brother
Bloodscream
Elsa Bloodstone
Ulysses Bloodstone
Bloodwraith
Blue Diamond
Bella Donna Boudreaux
Jamie Braddock
Betty Brant
Brood
Brother Voodoo
Brotherhood
Brotherhood of Mutants
Brothers Grimm
Bug
Bullseye
Bushwacker
Buzz
Blank
Bounty
Cable
Cable/Askani World
Cadaver
Luke Cage
Caiera the Oldstrong
Caliban
Cammi
Cannonball
Captain America (Rogers)
Captain America (Barnes)
Captain Britain
Captain Marvel (Mar-Vell)
Captain Ultra
Captain Universe
Cardiac
Carnage
Carrion
Sharon Carter
Celestials
Centurious
Centurius
Century
Cerebra
Challenger
Chameleon
Champion
Champions (of Los Angeles)
Champions (of Xandar)
Chemistro
China Force
Amadeus Cho
Chthon
Circus of Crime
Citizen V (Watkins)
Clan Destine
Stuart Clarke
Clea
Cloak
Cobalt Man
Code: Blue
Collective
Collective Man
Collector
Colossus
Conspiracy
Constrictor
Contemplator
Controller
Valerie Cooper
Copperhead
Corporation
Corps
Corruptor
Fabian Cortez
Cosmic Cube
Cotati
Council of Godheads
Count Nefaria
Counter-Earth (Franklin Richards)
Crazy Eight (team)
Graydon Creed
Crime-Master
Crimson Commando
Crimson Cowl
Crimson Dynamo (grouping)

rplss

Nov 30, 2011, 11:44 pm

The update for Council of Godheads is very good. It identifies characters from two panels taken from Incredible Hercules #116 that were nearly impossible for me to figure out who was who. Nice job on that!

Also good to see the new headshots for China Force trainees: Gold (later known as Auric), She-Devil and Silver. Poor Auric, he still has never had an OHOTMU entry... why not? His sister Silver was in the '89 Update... Well, at least he gets another little shout-out in this issue 22 years later.

bigvis497

Dec 1, 2011, 12:03 am

bigvis497 wrote:

Something I've been wondering. Since Colossus didn't wear the costume from his main image in the hardcovers, are there plans in place to replace his image a la Banshee in the first TPB?

And how exactly would something like that work since it's an error correction and not really an update? Would you replace the image with what we was wearing when the HC came out in 2008 (the Cassady-designed costume)? Or would you use the modified San Fransisco version (I don't think he was wearing that yet when the HB was originally published)?

Since this is out now, I figured I would bump this. It's been bugging for some time and I'm hoping someone can answer. Thanks in advance!

ToddCam

Dec 1, 2011, 12:14 pm

Hey, why no new Reality-designations?

Michael Regan

Dec 1, 2011, 12:29 pm

ToddCam wrote:

If anyone can indicate which issues will contain the Reality designations I, for one, would appreciate it.

Stuart V

Dec 1, 2011, 12:55 pm

ToddCam wrote:

Just no spare space this issue, due to all the other updates.

Michael Regan wrote:

If anyone can indicate which issues will contain the Reality designations I, for one, would appreciate it.

Intending to include new ones in #3, space in the update section permitting.

bigvis497 wrote:

Yes, we replaced it. Not an expert on Colossus' costume changes of late, so I couldn't tell you whether it was the Cassady-designed version without doing some checking - at a glance, it looks very much like his "classic" costume.

Rayeye

Dec 1, 2011, 06:36 pm

rplss wrote:

Also good to see the new headshots for China Force trainees: Gold (later known as Auric), She-Devil and Silver. Poor Auric, he still has never had an OHOTMU entry... why not? His sister Silver was in the '89 Update... Well, at least he gets another little shout-out in this issue 22 years later.

Totally agree. I hope Auric & Silver will get their own profile in the near future!

Were these new headshots put in the main profile or in the Where Are They Now? section? And was there any new information about She-Devil (real name, powers, etc)?

rplss

Dec 1, 2011, 09:56 pm

Rayeye wrote:

Totally agree. I hope Auric & Silver will get their own profile in the near future!

Were these new headshots put in the main profile or in the Where Are They Now? section? And was there any new information about She-Devil (real name, powers, etc)?

I hope so too! Auric has never had a profile, ever! Silver got one in the OHOTMU '89 Update (issue #7). So I'm puzzled for over 20yrs why one sibling got a profile but not the other. I was hoping both would get a profile in the modern handbooks. They've been in about a dozen issues. Meanwhile hundreds of other characters who have been in fewer than 12 issues have had multiple profiles!

The headshots were in the Update section. There's no new info about She-Devil, just the image.

Captain Morgan

Dec 2, 2011, 11:20 pm

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

Blade (cross-reference only)

What do you mean cross-reference exactly?

slevin87

Dec 2, 2011, 11:23 pm

Captain Morgan wrote:

What do you mean cross-reference exactly?

There's no new info, it just tells readers to check out the Vampires handbook for an update on Blade.

Michael Regan

Dec 3, 2011, 09:59 am

Stuart V wrote:

Intending to include new ones in #3, space in the update section permitting.

Thanks Stuart. I'll likely get them all, but that will be the "must get" issue.

Rayeye

Dec 7, 2011, 04:23 pm

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

Were there any other new members of the Corps revealed/confirmed (in the profile or in the update section)? If so, could someone tell me their names and their reality designations?

Stuart V

Dec 7, 2011, 06:53 pm

Rayeye wrote:

Were there any other new members of the Corps revealed/confirmed (in the profile or in the update section)? If so, could someone tell me their names and their reality designations?

7 additional Corps members were identified. Five of them are called Captain Britain (and four of those are Brian Braddock). But, and trying not to sound like a jerk here, if the info is for you or a personal website, I don't mind telling you, but if it's for the Marvel Database, then I'm sorry, I'd prefer not to. I know someone will get round to buying the book and adding it eventually, but that site has chosen to burn its bridges with me.

Rayeye

Dec 8, 2011, 04:28 pm

Stuart V wrote:

7 additional Corps members were identified. Five of them are called Captain Britain (and four of those are Brian Braddock). But, and trying not to sound like a jerk here, if the info is for you or a personal website, I don't mind telling you, but if it's for the Marvel Database, then I'm sorry, I'd prefer not to. I know someone will get round to buying the book and adding it eventually, but that site has chosen to burn its bridges with me.

It's just for my own geeky Marvel info-hungry mind and because I am a big fan of Captain Britain and the Corps, and perhaps for my own personal site.
I don't do anything with the Marvel Database. I am not a wiki-fan ;)

Of course I understand your reason for not sharing it. Anyway, I still hope the new info/update section will someday somehow be available for those handbook fans who don't buy the OHOTMU tpb series since they already have all the previous (hardcover) handbooks.

Stuart V

Dec 9, 2011, 06:03 am

Rayeye wrote:

It's just for my own geeky Marvel info-hungry mind and because I am a big fan of Captain Britain and the Corps, and perhaps for my own personal site.

Fair enough.
Seven additional Corps members are identified. Five are Captain Britains, and four of them are Brian Braddock:
X-Men Forever's - Earth-161
Forever Yesterday's (New Warriors' Sphinx-controlled Egypt-themed reality) - Earth-9105
Thor the Mighty Avenger's - 10091
Spidey Super-Stories' - 57780
The fifth, non-Brian Braddock, CB is Ultimate Jamie Braddock - Earth-1610

The two other Corps members are both from Earth-98193, seen in What If?: X-Men Deadly Genesis, and are Logres (Brian Braddock) and Prydian (Betsy Braddock).

Rayeye wrote:

IAnyway, I still hope the new info/update section will someday somehow be available for those handbook fans who don't buy the OHOTMU tpb series since they already have all the previous (hardcover) handbooks.

Outwith our hands, though I totally understand where you are coming from on this. Can't say it won't happen, but it's not something we can make happen.

Rayeye

Dec 10, 2011, 03:46 pm

Stuart V wrote:

Fair enough.
Seven additional Corps members are identified. Five are Captain Britains, and four of them are Brian Braddock:
X-Men Forever's - Earth-161
Forever Yesterday's (New Warriors' Sphinx-controlled Egypt-themed reality) - Earth-9105
Thor the Mighty Avenger's - 10091
Spidey Super-Stories' - 57780
The fifth, non-Brian Braddock, CB is Ultimate Jamie Braddock - Earth-1610

The two other Corps members are both from Earth-98193, seen in What If?: X-Men Deadly Genesis, and are Logres (Brian Braddock) and Prydian (Betsy Braddock).

Thanks! By the way I am really looking forward to the Corps's upcoming appearance in Uncanny X-Force.

Stuart V wrote:

Outwith our hands, though I totally understand where you are coming from on this. Can't say it won't happen, but it's not something we can make happen.

Understandable. I can only hope Marvel will make it happen.

My photostream (over 7.5 million photos!)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24917258@N05/

Board footera