Who Watches the Watchers - Forum for the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe & Similar Works 20 YEARS! 2004-2024

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/07/2020 5:04 pm  #1

Thor & Hercules: Encyclopaedia Mythologica

Historical text from Comixfan:

shazam2271
Apr 20, 2009, 03:21 pm

Coming from Marvel in July...

THOR & HERCULES: ENCYCLOPAEDIA MYTHOLOGICA
Written by ANTHONY FLAMINI, FRED VAN LENTE, PAUL CORNELL & GREG PAK
Cover by MICO SUAYAN

For the first time ever — all of Marvel's mighty pantheons, all in one handbook! Thor and Hercules aren’t the only gods in town, as the ENCYCLOPAEDIA MYTHOLOGICA spotlights everything from Aztecs to Zoroaster! Brush up on the eternal rivalry between the Green Knight and the Red Lord! Meet Anitun and the Diwatas, the gods of the Philippines! Learn the dark origin of Mikaboshi, the Shinto god of evil! Explore the mystical dimension of Otherworld! Plus: Panther Gods, Lion Gods and Snowbirds!

64 PGS./Rated T+ …$4.99

Just saw this in the Marvel July Solicitation previews and was wondering if it was going to be in regular Handbook form?
ultrabasurero
Apr 20, 2009, 07:12 pm

Philippines! I hope this is in standard handbook form.

skippcomet
Apr 20, 2009, 09:48 pm

Would King Arthur be "mythologica(l)" enough for this sort of handbook? Unlike Fu Manchu or Conan, for instance, who are intellectual properties of the estates of their creators....

Madison Carter
Apr 20, 2009, 11:29 pm

It will be very close to normal Handbook form. There are a few very minor differences, but overall, it's the same. And for those wondering, yes, the entries in it will be filtered into the Hardcover series as they go.

Sidney Osinga
Apr 21, 2009, 01:43 am

So I assume this will be like a files type book, but one more similar to the New Avengers: Most Wanted Files? Cool. That way it can cover a lot of subjects, and not devote a lot of space to duplicate entries such as Lion God, Hercules, Panther God, Snowbird, or Thor which have been/will be covered in the hardcover series. Yes, I do realize they will be covered, but since this is a Files book, they won't have as much space devoted to their entries as the Handbook ones.

Eduardo M.
Apr 21, 2009, 10:59 am

This explains the Mikaboshi entry in vol.7

Madison Carter
Apr 21, 2009, 01:35 pm

Sidney Osinga wrote:

So I assume this will be like a files type book, but one more similar to the New Avengers: Most Wanted Files? Cool. That way it can cover a lot of subjects, and not devote a lot of space to duplicate entries such as Lion God, Hercules, Panther God, Snowbird, or Thor which have been/will be covered in the hardcover series. Yes, I do realize they will be covered, but since this is a Files book, they won't have as much space devoted to their entries as the Handbook ones.

No, it's closer to an actual Handbook in most ways, just with a few minor differences. It's not written in-character the way Files are and it's, I'd calculate, about 96-97% close to a regular handbook.

Sidney Osinga
Apr 21, 2009, 03:25 pm

Madison Carter wrote:

No, it's closer to an actual Handbook in most ways, just with a few minor differences. It's not written in-character the way Files are and it's, I'd calculate, about 96-97% close to a regular handbook.

I stand corrected. So would it be safer to say it's like the Marvel Legacy books?

DrGoodwrench
Apr 21, 2009, 04:50 pm

This looks great, although the writing credits are not what I would expect.

Sidney Osinga
Apr 29, 2009, 02:38 am

The skull faced figure on the left in the back row is Ahpuch, the Mayan death god who appeared in Thor Annual #10, while the tall man at the back right is Leir, the Celtic god of lightning who was a supporting character in Thor for a time in the late 80's and early 90's and who previously had entries in the '89 update and the Master's Edition.

Enda80
Jun 3, 2009, 07:56 pm

With the economy rapidly collapsing, focusing on work has kept me away from many things.

Anyway, hopefully they do not forget to reference Ymir's battle with a group of vampires mentioned in Savage Sword of Conan#141.

Sidney Osinga
Jun 15, 2009, 12:51 am

Will alien gods such as Walker and Sl'gur't of the Skrulls be covered?

ToddCam
Jun 16, 2009, 11:51 am

Looks like Sif will be covered here. She is on the cover of HC #10! (At least I think that's her.)

bigvis497
Jul 15, 2009, 04:45 pm

Did this come out today? Anyone pick it up?

slevin87
Jul 15, 2009, 04:48 pm
Did this come out today? Anyone pick it up?
Marvel's site has it listed as due next week.

bigvis497
Jul 15, 2009, 06:17 pm

slevin87 wrote:

Marvel's site has it listed as due next week.

Hmm, I go by Diamond's site, usually more accurate. Diamond had it listed for this week now it's not there. Checked their list for next week, not there either. However, Volume 9 is listed for next week, so that's good!

ToddCam
Jul 20, 2009, 06:49 pm

Diamond now says it's out this week.

Angelicknight
Jul 22, 2009, 02:58 pm

Those covered in it:

Gaea
Demogorge
Council of Godheads
The Aboriginal Gods
The Ahau/Mayan Gods
The Akua/Polynesian Gods
The Amatsu-Kami/Shinto Gods
- Izanagi
- Mikaboshi
The Annunaki/Mesopotamian Gods
- Ba'al
- Inanna
- Lilith
- Marduk
The Apu/Incan Gods
The Asgardians/Norse Gods
- Balder the Brave
- Bor
- The Enchantress
- Heimdall
- Hela
- Loki
- Odin
- Sif
- Thor
- Valkyrie
- The Warriors Three (Fandral, Hogun & Volstagg)
The Daevas/Hindu Gods
The Dievas/Slavic Gods
The Diwatas/Filipino Gods
The Eternals & Deviants
- Ajak
- Forgotten One
- Ikaris
- Makkari
The Heliopolitans (Ennead)/Egyptian Gods
- Horus
- Khonshu
- Lion God
- Panther God
- Seth
- Thoth
The Inua/Northern Gods
- Sedna
- Snowbird
The Jumala/Finnish Gods
The Manidoog/Native American Gods
- Manitou
- Owayodata
The Olympians/Greek Gods
- Achelous
- Aphrodite
- Apollo
- Ares
- Athena
- Cronus
- Dionysus
- Hephaestus
- Hera
- Hercules
- Hermes
- Hippolyta
- The Huntsman
- Neptune
- Phobos
- Pluto
- Typhon
- Uranus
- Venus
- Zeus
The Tenger/Mongolian Gods
The Teteoh/Aztec Gods
- Quetzalcoatl
- Tezcatlipoca
The Tuathade Danaan/Celtic Gods & Fomorians
- Otherworld
- Bran the Blessed
- Caber
- Cuchulain
- The Dagda
- Green Knight
- Gwynn
- Lady of the Lake
- Leir
- Nuada
- Oberon
- Red Lord
- Y Ddraig Goch
The Vodu (Orishas)/African Gods
- Anansi
- Damballah
- Sagbata
- Shango
The Xian/Chinese Gods
- Shou-Hsing
- Yu Huang
The Yazatas/Zoroastrian Gods

bigvis497
Jul 22, 2009, 03:37 pm

What is the format like? Seems like it's structured differently then a normal handbook. Do you have page counts?

Angelicknight
Jul 22, 2009, 04:54 pm

bigvis497 wrote:

What is the format like? Seems like it's structured differently then a normal handbook. Do you have page counts?

Couldn't edit my original post but here is the page count. Yes it's structured a little differently.

Gaea (1/2 pg)
Demogorge (1/2 pg)
Council of Godheads (1 pg)
The Aboriginal Gods (1 pg)
The Ahau/Mayan Gods (1 pg)
The Akua/Polynesian Gods (1 pg)
The Amatsu-Kami/Shinto Gods (1 pg)
- Izanagi (1/2 pg)
- Mikaboshi (1/2 pg)
The Annunaki/Mesopotamian Gods (1 pg)
- Ba'al (1/2 pg)
- Inanna (1/2 pg)
- Lilith (1/2 pg)
- Marduk (1/2 pg)
The Apu/Incan Gods (1 pg)
The Asgardians/Norse Gods (1 pg)
- Balder the Brave (1/2 pg)
- Bor (1/2 pg)
- The Enchantress (1/2 pg)
- Heimdall (1/2 pg)
- Hela (1/2 pg)
- Loki (1/2 pg)
- Odin (1/2 pg)
- Sif (1/2 pg)
- Thor (1/2 pg)
- Valkyrie (1/2 pg)
- The Warriors Three (Fandral, Hogun & Volstagg) (1/3 pg each)
The Daevas/Hindu Gods (1 pg)
The Dievas/Slavic Gods (1 pg)
The Diwatas/Filipino Gods (1 pg)
The Eternals & Deviants (1 pg each)
- Ajak (1/2 pg)
- Forgotten One (1/2 pg)
- Ikaris (1/2 pg)
- Makkari (1/2 pg)
The Heliopolitans (Ennead)/Egyptian Gods (1 pg)
- Horus (1/2 pg)
- Khonshu (1/2 pg)
- Lion God (1/2 pg)
- Panther God (1/2 pg)
- Seth (1/2 pg)
- Thoth (1/2 pg)
The Inua/Northern Gods (1 pg)
- Sedna (1/2 pg)
- Snowbird (1/2 pg)
The Jumala/Finnish Gods (1 pg)
The Manidoog/Native American Gods (1 pg)
- Manitou (1/2 pg)
- Owayodata (1/2 pg)
The Olympians/Greek Gods (1 pg)
- Achelous (1/2 pg)
- Aphrodite (1/2 pg)
- Apollo (1/2 pg)
- Ares (1/2 pg)
- Athena (1/2 pg)
- Cronus (1/2 pg)
- Dionysus (1/2 pg)
- Hephaestus (1/2 pg)
- Hera (1/2 pg)
- Hercules (1/2 pg)
- Hermes (1/2 pg)
- Hippolyta (1/2 pg)
- The Huntsman (1/2 pg)
- Neptune (1/2 pg)
- Phobos (1/2 pg)
- Pluto (1/2 pg)
- Typhon (1/2 pg)
- Uranus (1/2 pg)
- Venus (1/2 pg)
- Zeus (1/2 pg)
The Tenger/Mongolian Gods (1 pg)
The Teteoh/Aztec Gods (1 pg)
- Quetzalcoatl (1/2 pg)
- Tezcatlipoca (1/2 pg)
The Tuathade Danaan/Celtic Gods & Fomorians (1 pg each)
- Otherworld (1 pg)
- Bran the Blessed (1/2 pg)
- Caber (1/2 pg)
- Cuchulain (1/2 pg)
- The Dagda (1/2 pg)
- Green Knight (1/2 pg)
- Gwynn (1/2 pg)
- Lady of the Lake (1/2 pg)
- Leir (1/2 pg)
- Nuada (1/2 pg)
- Oberon (1/2 pg)
- Red Lord (1/2 pg)
- Y Ddraig Goch (1/2 pg)
The Vodu (Orishas)/African Gods (1 pg)
- Anansi (1/2 pg)
- Damballah (1/2 pg)
- Sagbata (1/2 pg)
- Shango (1/2 pg)
The Xian/Chinese Gods (1 pg)
- Shou-Hsing (1/2 pg)
- Yu Huang (1/2 pg)
The Yazatas/Zoroastrian Gods (1 pg)

slevin87
Jul 22, 2009, 08:56 pm

It's great so far. I have a couple questions, though:

1. Is the info about Marduk Kurios being involved in the demonization of some the Annunaki new, or is there a prior story there I'm not aware of?

2. Since Sif is on the cover of Vol. 10 of the HCs, am I correct in assuming the half-page characters will appear in future volumes, with expansions where necessary?

Sidney Osinga
Jul 25, 2009, 02:24 am

If you use the same art for the group pictures when the entries are converted to full Handbook style, could you included a legend so we know who's who?

Zach Kinkead
Jul 25, 2009, 02:41 pm

Seconded. There didn't even seem to be some sort of "from left to right" reasoning behind the name listings.

Stuart V
Jul 25, 2009, 05:13 pm

Sidney Osinga wrote:

If you use the same art for the group pictures when the entries are converted to full Handbook style, could you included a legend so we know who's who?

They'll be fully labelled in the HCs.

rplss
Jul 26, 2009, 02:52 pm

Yeah, I'm going to complain about the unlabeled group shots too. Please put tags on the group shots next time so we know who is who!

Well, anyway, except for that, I really like this book and the new format.

I thought the pages for the Inua were especially excellent and I liked the new illustrations by Mr. Kevin Sharpe for each section. It's been a while since we've seen new artwork specifically drawn for handbook entries.

Stuart V
Jul 26, 2009, 03:20 pm

rplss wrote:

It's been a while since we've seen new artwork specifically drawn for handbook entries.

Yes. Three months to be precise.

rplss
Jul 26, 2009, 03:24 pm

Stuart V wrote:

Yes. Three months to be precise.

Ok, I'll bite... since either I don't have the issue or I just can't remember... what was the last issue that had new art specifically drawn for the handbook in it?

Stuart V
Jul 26, 2009, 04:11 pm

rplss wrote:

Ok, I'll bite... since either I don't have the issue or I just can't remember... what was the last issue that had new art specifically drawn for the handbook in it?

The Weapon X handbook had brand new art of Wolverine's various costumes, plus new art for several other characters, commissioned just for the handbook - Chimera, General Coy, etc.

rplss
Jul 27, 2009, 06:04 pm

Stuart V wrote:

The Weapon X handbook had brand new art of Wolverine's various costumes, plus new art for several other characters, commissioned just for the handbook - Chimera, General Coy, etc.

Ah, interesting! I really liked that Weapon X handbook and now I like it even more for this reason. I don't feel bad about not noticing the new art from that issue. I just don't know every single image of Wolverine that exists. I could probably place a heck of a lot of them, but there's just no way I could recognize a new illustration of Wolverine from an obscure, reprinted one.

How do you decide whether to commission new art or to use reprinted images? Is it an issue of cost, i.e. cheaper to pay an artist to draw new images than to pay someone to put together some compilation of obscure character head shots? Maybe it's availability: there might just not be a good clear image that is suitable for a definitive handbook entry so you have to get an artist to make a new one?

Sidney Osinga
Jul 27, 2009, 09:45 pm

Of course, this book doesn't mean we couldn't see a Thor Handbook. After all, there are still Asgardian characters like the Destroyer Construct, Executioner (Skurge), Fafnir (Dragon), Fenris Wolf, Geirrodur, the Giants of Jotunheim, Grog the God Slayer, Karnilla, Kurse, Lorelei, Malekith the Accursed, the Midgard Serpent, Surtur, Tyr, Ulik, Utgard-Loki, and Ymir, as well as a map of Asgard. Plus, it could include non-Asgard characters like Earth Force, Jane Foster, Kieth Kincaid, Lava Men, and the Rigellians.

Madison Carter
Jul 27, 2009, 11:29 pm

Stuart V wrote:

Ah, interesting! I really liked that Weapon X handbook and now I like it even more for this reason. I don't feel bad about not noticing the new art from that issue. I just don't know every single image of Wolverine that exists. I could probably place a heck of a lot of them, but there's just no way I could recognize a new illustration of Wolverine from an obscure, reprinted one.

It wasn't just the Wolverine entry that got new artwork; Twelve other characters had new artwork for their main images in that book.

Sidney Osinga
Jul 28, 2009, 05:56 pm

Sidney Osinga wrote:

Of course, this book doesn't mean we couldn't see a Thor Handbook. After all, there are still Asgardian characters like the Destroyer Construct, Executioner (Skurge), Fafnir (Dragon), Fenris Wolf, Geirrodur, the Giants of Jotunheim, Grog the God Slayer, Karnilla, Kurse, Lorelei, Malekith the Accursed, the Midgard Serpent, Surtur, Tyr, Ulik, Utgard-Loki, and Ymir, as well as a map of Asgard. Plus, it could include non-Asgard characters like Earth Force, Jane Foster, Kieth Kincaid, Lava Men, and the Rigellians.

Also Megatak, Mongoose, Possessor, Quicksand, the Uni-mind, and the Young Gods.

DrGoodwrench
Jul 29, 2009, 02:18 pm

I got my copy of this today. I think it's my favourite demihandbook so far. The map of Otherworld is particularly interesting - Castle Le Fey appears to be in Bristol and the Portal to Earth is pretty close to Exeter.

Stuart V
Jul 29, 2009, 02:31 pm

DrGoodwrench wrote:

I got my copy of this today. I think it's my favourite demihandbook so far. The map of Otherworld is particularly interesting - Castle Le Fey appears to be in Bristol and the Portal to Earth is pretty close to Exeter.

Pretty much all the placements have reasons behind them - remember that Otherworld is shaped by the collective consciousness of the inhabitants of the British Isles.

Stuart V
Aug 9, 2009, 06:49 pm

rplss wrote:

Yeah, I'm going to complain about the unlabeled group shots too. Please put tags on the group shots next time so we know who is who!

When we cover them in the final volume of the hardcovers we will label them (except, unfortunately, for the four pantheons whose entries are already passed). In the meantime, check out the individual pages for the pantheons linked to from here
http://www.marvunapp.com/Appendix/appgods.htm

jannepie
Oct 3, 2009, 02:33 am

I just got my copy yesterday. Looks awesome. I've had time to only read the Jumala entry and I'm going to comment it, being a Finn and all.

In Finnish, the word "Jumala" is not a plural. It's Finnish for "God". The Biblical God is with a big "J", little "j" is for the rest. The Finnish plural would be "jumalat".

Taivas is a correct word ("sky" or "Heaven" in Finnish), but "Taivasian" isn't the Finnish way to say it. We would say "Taivaan jumalat". Finnish a {{a female canine; most dogs are sweet}} for a language like that. Linnunrata in the current language means the Milky Way but obviously the Finnish translation comes from the old myths.

Ukko Ylijumala was indeed called also "Perkele". When they started turning Finland into Christianity, the crusaders started calling the Biblical Devil "Perkele" to make the Finns forsake their pagan ways (same thing with Jumala, I'd guess). In the current language, "ukko" means "old man" and "akka" means "old woman" or "missus".

Kipu-Tytto has a typo. In Finnish it's Kipu-Tyttö ("Pain-Girl"). The difference between "o" and "ö" in Finnish is relevant and for Finns it's harder to pronounce words that have both "y" and "o" in them. Kivutar means "She-Pain" and Vammatar means "She-Injury". This "tar" ending is for women's names only.

Now, about the looks of the Finnish pantheon. It's really hard to comment it, because the Finnish gods haven't been portrayed anywhere before. I think they were considered more like spirits. Or maybe it's because the old myths passed on in songs until one person gathered them in paper in the 1800s. In the Handbook profile, there are some gods that look Finnish and some that do not. Here's an example (http://www.museot.fi/uploadkuvat/nay...stus_pieni.jpg) from Kalevala (the Finnish epic) by Akseli Gallen-Kallela. The characters are not Finnish gods but mytholigical beings nevertheless. Wait, Ilmarinen might be in the boat, but the main guy is Väinämöinen and the evil witch is Louhi.

Anyway, I find it great how well the Finnish pantheon was written inside the Marvel Universe in this Handbook! The old myths aren't taught in the school, so the profile also mentioned gods that I haven't heard mentioned elsewhere.

Beast of Averoigne
Nov 25, 2009, 03:01 am

Angelicknight wrote:

- Nuada

His Name was Nuada in the Council of Godheads-Entry in one of the All-New OHOTMUs. In this it is Nuadhu. Which one is right? I believe he was called Nuada in all the Comics in which he appears.

sucellos11
Dec 30, 2009, 07:58 am

I was thinking which gods were more probable to be expanded to one or multiple pages in volume 14 of the HC series and came up with this list:

- Aphrodite
- Athen
- Balder
- Bor
- Caber
- Cronus
- Heimdall
- Hela
- Hera
- Hippolyta
- Leir

What do you think? Would you add more or take out some?

Rayeye
Dec 30, 2009, 01:45 pm

I would like to see a profile of Otherworld in the HC series.

Eduardo M.
Dec 30, 2009, 04:33 pm

Rayeye wrote:

I would like to see a profile of Otherworld in the HC series.

I can see it either being part of the Celtic gods entry or having its own entry in Vol.14

Stuart V
Dec 30, 2009, 06:57 pm

All the entries in the Encyc Myth will be getting entries revised to regular handbook style in the HC.

Andy E. Nystrom
Jun 15, 2010, 06:57 pm

List of Changes in Hardcovers

Okay, this list of changes is something of a dog’s breakfast but here goes (be prepared for some information overload; apologies if I overlooked anything due to eyes glazing over from the sheer amount of partly changed text):

All Individuals: Identity, Citizenship added. First Appearance moved from Appendix at back of book to main text. Power Grid added (Power Numbers for ½-pagers). For entries originally in hardcovers, the reverse is true. If a name change seems unclear it usually means the “The” has been dropped.

Most Groups: Prominent Members replaced with Known Members (or vice versa if the hardcover came first) unless noted.

I’m using when the entries first started to appear in the hardcovers, not when this was published as a basis of which direction to describe the changes. This is going to be pretty confusing as it is, and that seems the simplest approach.

Gaea (Changes below are from the hardcover to this book)
Hardcover Volume: 4
Page Count: Reduced from 3 to ½.
Text Changes: Aliases revised. History completely rewritten/abridged. Physical Description replaced with Physical Stats. 2nd Abilities/Accessories paragraph removed
Graphic Changes: One secondary illo reduced to headshot; remaining illos removed

Demogorge (Changes below are from the hardcover to this book)
Hardcover Volume: 3
Page Count: Reduced from 1 to ½.
Text Changes: Aliases, Group Affiliation, First Appearance revised. Place of Birth, Education tweaked. History and Abilities/Accessories considerably revised/the former abridged.
Graphic Changes: Old illos replaced with new one.

Council of Godheads (Changes below are from the hardcover to this book)
Hardcover Volume: 2
Page Count: Reduced from 3 to 1
Text Changes: Pictured and Not Pictured revised as Prominent Members. Base of Operations revised. History considerably revised/abridged.
Graphic Changes: New illo replaced old ones.

The Aboriginal Gods
Hardcover Volume: 14
Now Listed As: Aboriginal Gods
Page Count: Unchanged at 1.
Text Changes: Known Members tweaked. Traits and History greatly revised.
Graphic Changes: Illo now captioned.

The Ahau
Now Listed As: Ahau (Mayan Gods)
Text Changes: Known Members tweaked. Traits greatly revised. History completely rewritten

The Akua
Now Listed As: Akua (Oceanic Gods)
Text Changes: Known Members tweaked. Traits greatly revised. History completely rewritten

The Amatsu-Kami (Changes below are from the hardcover to this book)
Hardcover Volume: 1
Was Listed As: Amatsu-Kami
Text Changes: Prominent Members revised. Traits and History completely rewritten

Izanagi
Page Count: Unchanged at ½
Text Changes: Group Affiliation revised. History greatly revised/abridged. Abilities/Accessories somewhat revised.
Graphic Changes: Old illo removed; new main illo and main secondary illo

Mikaboshi (Changes below are from the hardcover to this book)
Hardcover Volume: 7
Text Changes: First Appearance revised. History somewhat revised/paragraphs merged. Abilities/Accessories considerably revised/abridged.
Graphic Changes: Illo cropped/background added.

The Annunaki (Changes below are from the hardcover to this book)
Was Listed As: Annunaki
Page Count: Reduced from 3 to 1.
Text Changes: Prominent Members, Base of Operations, Traits added. First Appearance revised. History completely rewritten/expanded. Capsule histories of individual members removed.
Graphic Changes: New illo (old ones removed)

Ba’al (Changes below are from the hardcover to this book)
Page Count: Reduced from 1 to ½
Text Changes: Vital Statistics revised. History considerably revised/abridged.
Graphic Changes: Main illo cropped; secondary illo removed

Inanna
Page Count: Increased from ½ to 1
Text Changes: Aliases, Known Relatives revised. History considerably revised/expanded. Abilities/Accessories greatly revised. Group Affiliation revised. History greatly revised/abridged. Abilities/Accessories somewhat revised.
Graphic Changes: Illo less cropped/background removed

Lilith (Changes below are from the hardcover to this book)
Hardcover Volume: 6
Was Listed As: Lilith (Mother of Demons)
Page Count: Reduced from 2 to ½
Text Changes: Vital Statistics revised. History completely rewritten/abridged; 1st Abilities/Accessories paragraph somewhat rewritten/abridged, second one removed
Graphic Changes: New illo; old ones removed

Marduk (Changes below are from the hardcover to this book)
Hardcover Volume: 7
Text Changes: Vital Statistics revised. History and Abilities/Accessories considerably revised/the former abridged. Note removed.

The Apu
Now Listed As: Apu (Incan Gods)
Text Changes: Known Members tweaked. Traits and History greatly revised. Note added.

The Asgardians
Now Listed As: Asgardians
Page Count: Increased from 1 to 7
Text Changes: Known Members, First Appearance revised (the former considerably). Traits and History completely rewritten (the latter expanded). Capsule passages on 60 Asgardians/Asgardian groups added
Graphic Changes: Old illo captioned; 60 new headshots on the aforementioned Asgardians/Asgardian groups added, plus 11 additional secondary illos (10 captioned)

Balder
Page Count: Increased from ½ to 2
Text Changes: Vital Statistics revised. History and Abilities/Accessories completely written/expanded (minor text present in former).
Graphic Changes: Old illo removed; new main illo and 4 new secondary illos (2 captioned)

Bor
Text Changes: Education revised. History greatly revised/abridged.
Graphic Changes: Old illo replaced with new one

Enchantress (Changes below are from the hardcover to this book)
Text Changes: Vital Statistics revised. History and Abilities/Accessories completely rewritten/abridged

Heimdall
Text Changes: Occupation tweaked, Known Relatives revised. History and Abilities/Accessories considerably revised/the former expanded
Graphic Changes: Old illo removed; new main illo and 3 new secondary illos (2 captioned)

Hela
Text Changes: Vital Statistics revised. History and Abilities/Accessories completely rewritten/the former expanded
Graphic Changes: Old illo removed; new main illo and 3 new secondary illos (2 captioned)

Loki (Changes below are from the hardcover to this book)
Page Count: Reduced from 3 to ½
Text Changes: Vital Statistics revised. History and Abilities/Accessories completely rewritten/abridged

Odin (Changes below are from the hardcover to this book)
Hardcover Volume: 8

Sif
Hardcover Volume: 10
Page Count: Increased from ½ to 3
Text Changes: Occupation, Known Relatives, Education revised. History and Abilities/Accessories completely rewritten/expanded
Graphic Changes: Old illo removed; new main illo and 9 new secondary illos (6 captioned)

Thor
Hardcover Volume: 12
Page Count: Increased from ½ to 5
Text Changes: Vital Statistics revised. History and Abilities/Accessories completely written/expanded. Height and Weight revised.
Graphic Changes: Old illo removed; new main illo and 18 new secondary illos (12 captioned)

Valkyrie
Now Listed As: Valkyrie (Brunnhilde)
Text Changes: Vital Statistics revised. History and Abilities/Accessories completely written/expanded.
Graphic Changes: Old illo removed; new main illo and 9 new secondary illos (5 captioned; one is classic Eliot R. Brown stats for Dragonfang)

Warriors Three
Hardcover Volume: 13
Page Count: Increased from 1 to 2 (unless you look at it from the perspective of the individual members, in which case reduced from 1/3 to 0 each)
Text Changes: Originally it was three individual listings under a group header. Now it’s a team entry, thus old Vital Statistics replaced with Members and Base of Operations (First Appearance carriers over). Old History texts replaced with new expanded group History text. Physical Statistics and Abilities/Accessories removed.
Graphic Changes: Old illos merged together/uncropped into captioned main illo; new secondary illo

The Daevas
Now Listed As: Daevas (Hindu Gods)
Text Changes: Known Members revised. Traits and History considerably revised.

The Dievas
Now Listed As: Dievas (Slavic Gods)
Text Changes: Known Members revised/greatly expanded. Traits and History considerably revised.

The Diwatas
Now Listed As: Diwatas (Filipino Gods)
Text Changes: Known Members tweaked. Traits and History considerably revised.

The Eternals (Changes below are from the hardcover to this book)
Was Listed As: Eternals
Page Count: Reduced from 4 to 1
Text Changes: Prominent Members reduced/sub-categories removed. First Appearance revised. Traits completely rewritten/expanded. History mostly revised/abridged.
Graphic Changes: New illo; old illos including headshots removed

The Deviants (Changes below are from the hardcover to this book)
Was Listed As: Deviants
Page Count: Reduced from 4 to 1
Text Changes: Prominent Members reduced/sub-categories removed. First Appearance revised. Traits considerably revised/expanded. History mostly revised/abridged.
Graphic Changes: New illo; headshots removed

Ajak
Text Changes: Vital Statistics revised. History and Abilities/Accessories completely rewritten/expanded (actually the old text was largely written earlier for another book, but the hardcover has the most current text nevertheless)
Graphic Changes: Old illo removed; new main illo and 3 new secondary illos (1 captioned)

The Forgotten One (Changes below are from the hardcover to this book)
Was Listed As: Gilgamesh
Text Changes: Aliases, Group Affiliation revised. History greatly revised. Abilities/Accessories completely rewritten
Graphic Changes: Main illo cropped; secondary illos removed

Ikaris (Changes below are from the hardcover to this book)
Hardcover Volume: 5

Makkari (Changes below are from the hardcover to this book)

The Heliopolitans
Now Listed As: Ennead (Heliopolitans/Egyptian Gods)
Page Count: Increased from 1 to 2
Text Changes: Known Members considerably revised. Traits greatly revised. History completely rewritten/expanded. Note added.
Graphic Changes: Old illo captioned; 3 new captioned secondary illos

Horus
Text Changes: Aliases revised. History completely rewritten/expanded. Abilities/Accessories somewhat revised.
Graphic Changes: Old illo removed; new main illo and new secondary illo

Khonshu (Changes below are from the hardcover to this book)
Text Changes: Vital Statistics revised. History and Abilities/Accessories completely rewritten/the former abridged. Eyes revised
Graphic Changes: Main illo cropped; secondary illos removed

Lion God (Changes below are from the hardcover to this book)
Text Changes: Vital Statistics revised. History somewhat revised. Abilities/Accessories completely rewritten
Graphic Changes: Main illo cropped; secondary illo` removed

Panther God (Changes below are from the hardcover to this book)
Hardcover Volume: 8
Text Changes: Vital Statistics revised. History greatly revised. Abilities/Accessories completely rewritten

Seth
Text Changes: Vital Statistics revised. History and Abilities/Accessories completely rewritten/expanded
Graphic Changes: Old illo removed; new main illo and 3 new secondary illos (1 captioned)

Thoth
Text Changes: Occupation, Known Relatives, First Appearance revised. History somewhat revised. Eyes and Hair revised. Abilities/Accessories completely rewritten/expanded
Graphic Changes: New main illo (old one less cropped as secondary illo)

The Inua (Changes below are from the hardcover to this book)
Was Listed As: Inua
Text Changes: Prominent Members revised. Traits somewhat revised. History greatly revised.

Sedna
Hardcover Volume: 11
Text Changes: First Appearance revised. History and Abilities/Accessories completely rewritten
Graphic Changes: Illo cropped, black background removed

Snowbird
Text Changes: Aliases, Known Relatives, First Appearance revised. History and Abilities/Accessories completely rewritten/expanded. Eyes and Hair revised.
Graphic Changes: Old illo removed; new main illo and 4 new secondary illos (2 captioned)

The Jumala
Now Listed As: Jumula (Jumala/Egyptian Gods)
Page Count: Unchanged at 1
Text Changes: Known Members considerably revised. Traits considerably revised. History completely rewritten/expanded. Note added.
Graphic Changes: Old illo captioned

The Manidoog
Now Listed As: Manidoog (North American Gods)
Text Changes: Known Members and First Appearance revised. Traits greatly revised. History completely rewritten/expanded.
Graphic Changes: Old illo captioned; 6 new captioned secondary illos

Manitou
Text Changes: Group Affiliation revised. History somewhat revised/abridged. Abilities/Accessories completely rewritten
Graphic Changes: Illo cropped, background removed

Owayodata
Text Changes: History somewhat revised/abridged. Abilities/Accessories completely rewritten
Graphic Changes: New illo; old one removed

The Olympians (Changes below are from the hardcover to this book)
Hardcover Volume: 8 (main entry); 8-9 (Appendix)
Was Listed As: Olympians (main entry); Olympians: Demi-Gods, Heroes & Other Mythological Figures (Appendix)
Page Count: Reduced from 6 (main entry)/3+2 ¼ (the two Appendix sections) to 1
Text Changes: Prominent Members added. Traits and History completely rewritten. Olympus and capsule entries (main entry and Appendix text) removed
Graphic Changes: Old illos (including the map and the ones associated with all capsule entries) replaced with new one.

Achelous
Text Changes: Known Relatives revised. History somewhat revised/abridged. Abilities/Accessories mostly revised

Aphrodite
Now Listed as: Venus (Aphrodite)
Page Count: Increased from ½ to 4
Text Changes: Aliases, Known Relatives revised. History and Abilities/Accessories completely rewritten/expanded. Hair revised.
Graphic Changes: Old illo removed; new main illo and 1 new secondary illo

Apollo
Text Changes: Vital Statistics revised. History and Abilities/Accessories completely rewritten/expanded. Note added. Eyes and Hair revised.
Graphic Changes: Old illo removed; new main illo and 7 new secondary illos (4 captioned)

Ares (Changes below are from the hardcover to this book)
Text Changes: Occupation, Known Relatives, Group Affiliation, First Appearance revised. History and Abilities/Accessories completely rewritten/abridged. Hair revised
Graphic Changes: Main illo cropped/reversed/background added; secondary illos removed

Athena
Text Changes: Vital Statistics revised. History and Abilities/Accessories considerably rewritten/expanded. Hair revised.
Graphic Changes: Old illo removed; new main illo and 4 new secondary illos

Cronus
Text Changes: Aliases, Known Relatives revised. History somewhat revised/abridged. Abilities/Accessories completely rewritten
Graphic Changes: Illo less cropped/background removed

Dionysus
Text Changes: Aliases, Known Relatives, First Appearance revised. Group Affiliation tweaked. History and Abilities/Accessories considerably rewritten/expanded. Physical Stats revised.
Graphic Changes: Old illo removed; new main illo and 2 new captioned secondary illos

Hephaestus
Text Changes: Vital Statistics revised. History and Abilities/Accessories mostly revised/expanded. Height and Hair revised.
Graphic Changes: Old illo removed; new main illo and 2 new captioned secondary illos

Hera
Text Changes: Aliases, Known Relatives revised. History mostly revised/expanded. Eyes and Hair revised. Abilities/Accessories completely rewritten
Graphic Changes: Old illo removed; new main illo and 3 new secondary illos
Note: While both Hephaestus and Hera were both previously listed as having first appeared in Thor#129 (1967), Hephaestus’ entry on the facing page amends this to 1966 while Hera’s does not; The Avengers/Captain America/Thor Index indicates that 1966 is the correct date.

Hercules (Changes below are from the hardcover to this book)
Text Changes: Aliases, Known Relatives, Group Affiliation, First Appearance revised. History and Abilities/Accessories completely rewritten/abridged. Hair revised

Hermes
Text Changes: Vital Statistics revised. History and Abilities/Accessories mostly revised/expanded. Height and Hair revised.
Graphic Changes: Old illo removed; new main illo and new captioned secondary illo

Hippolyta
Text Changes: Known Relatives, Group Affiliation revised. History and Abilities/Accessories mostly revised/the former expanded. Height and Hair revised.
Graphic Changes: Old illo less cropped/background removed; 3 new secondary illos

The Huntsman (Changes below are from the hardcover to this book)
Was Listed As: Huntsman
Text Changes: Vital Statistics revised. History greatly revised

Neptune
Now Listed As: Poseidon
Text Changes: Aliases, Known Relatives, Group Affiliation, First Appearance revised. History completely rewritten/expanded. Height and Weight revised. Abilities/Accessories mostly revised.

Phobos
Text Changes: History greatly replaced/expanded starting with the 2nd paragraph. Abilities/Accessories completely rewritten/expanded
Graphic Changes: Old illo removed; new main illo and 2 new secondary illos (1 captioned)

Pluto (Changes below are from the hardcover to this book)
Hardcover Volume: 9
Text Changes: Vital Statistics revised. History mostly revised/abridged. Hair revised. Abilities/Accessories completely rewritten

Typhon
Text Changes: Aliases, Occupation, Known Relatives revised. History and Abilities/Accessories completely rewritten/the former expanded
Graphic Changes: Old illo removed; new main illo and 2 new secondary illos

Uranus
Hardcover Volume: not carried over
Page Count: Reduced from ½ to 0

Venus
Now Listed As: Venus (Siren)
Text Changes: Vital Statistics revised. History and Abilities/Accessories completely rewritten expanded. Eyes and Hair revised.

Zeus
Text Changes: Vital Statistics revised. History and Abilities/Accessories completely rewritten/expanded
Graphic Changes: Old illo removed; new main illo and 5 new secondary illos

The Tenger
Now Listed As: Tenger
Text Changes: Base of Operations tweaked. Traits greatly revised. History considerably revised.

The Téteoh
Now Listed As: Tēteoh
Text Changes: Prominent Members revised as Members (not Known Members). History considerably revised.

Quetzalcoatl
Text Changes: Vital Statistics revised. History completely rewritten/expanded. Abilities/Accessories greatly revised/expanded
Graphic Changes: Old illo less cropped/background removed/shifted/eyes more visible; new captioned secondary illo

Tezcatlipoca
Text Changes: Aliases, Place of Birth revised. History considerably revised. Abilities/Accessories completely rewritten
Graphic Changes: New main illo (old one now secondary/recoloured)

The Tuatha de Danaan
Now Listed As: Tuatha de Danaan
Page Count: Increased from 1 to 3
Text Changes: First Appearance revised. Prominent Members removed, replaced with 20 paragraphs discussing confirmed and possible members. Traits and History completely revised. Physical stats added.
Graphic Changes: Old illo now captioned; 23 new secondary illos (7 captioned) in the confirmed/possible members section

The Fomorians
Now Listed As: Fomor
Text Changes: Traits and History completely rewritten
Graphic Changes: Old illo captioned; new secondary illo

Otherworld
Page Count: Increased from 2 to 5
Text Changes: Type, Environment, Usual Means of Access, Dominant Lifeforms categories added. History mostly revised/expanded. Prominent Inhabitants added
Graphic Changes: 40 new captioned secondary illos

Bran the Blessed
Text Changes: History and Abilities/Accessories considerably revised/the former abridged
Graphic Changes: Illo background removed/less cropped

Caber
Text Changes: History and Abilities/Accessories considerably revised
Graphic Changes: Illo background removed/less cropped

Cúchulain
Text Changes: Vital Statistics revised. History greatly revised. Abilities/Accessories completely rewritten.
Graphic Changes: Old illo replaced with new one.

The Dagda
Now Listed As: Dagda
Text Changes: History and Abilities/Accessories completely rewritten.
Graphic Changes: Old illo replaced with new one.

The Green Knight
Now Listed As: Green Knight
Text Changes: Real Name, Aliases revised. History greatly revised. Abilities/Accessories completely rewritten
Graphic Changes: New main illo; old illo less cropped/now secondary illo

Gwynn
Text Changes: History and Abilities/Accessories somewhat revised
Graphic Changes: Old illo less cropped, background by head removed

Lady of the Lake
Text Changes: Known Relatives revised. History considerably revised/expanded. Note added. Abilities/Accessories completely rewritten
Graphic Changes: Old illo removed; new main illo and 2 new secondary illos (1 captioned)

Leir
Text Changes: Known Relatives revised. History considerably revised/expanded. Note added. Abilities/Accessories completely rewritten

Nuada
Text Changes: Vital Statistics revised. History and Abilities/Accessories completely rewritten/expanded. Note added.
Graphic Changes: Old illo less cropped, background removed, caption added; new captioned secondary illo

Oberon
Text Changes: Known Relatives, Education revised. History and Abilities/Accessories completely rewritten.

The Red Lord
Now Listed As: Red Lord
Text Changes: Aliases, First Appearance revised. History completely rewritten/expanded. Abilities/Accessories mostly revised

Y Ddraig Goch
Text Changes: Known Relatives, Education revised. History considerably revised. Abilities/Accessories greatly revised.

The Vodū
Text Changes: Prominent Members revised (category name intact). Traits considerably revised/abridged. History completely rewritten/expanded
Graphic Changes: Old illo captioned; 4 new captioned secondary illos

Anansi
Text Changes: Aliases, Occupation, Group Affiliation, First Appearance revised. History and Abilities/Accessories somewhat revised. Note added.
Graphic Changes: Old illo removed; new main illo and 2 new secondary illos

Damballah (Changes below are from the hardcover to this book)
Text Changes: Aliases, Occupation, Place of Birth, Known Relatives revised. History and Abilities/Accessories considerably revised/the former abridged.
Graphic Changes: Secondary illo removed

Sagbata
Text Changes: Aliases, Occupation revised. History and Abilities/Accessories completely rewritten

Shango
Text Changes: History considerably revised. Abilities/Accessories somewhat revised.
Graphic Changes: Old illo removed; new main illo and new captioned secondary illo

The Xian
Now Listed As: Xian
Text Changes: Prominent Members and Traits greatly revised/the latter abridged especially at the top. History considerably revised.

Shou-Hsing
Text Changes: History somewhat revised. Abilities/Accessories greatly revised

Yu Huang
Text Changes: Vital Statistics revised. History and Abilities/Accessories completely rewritten
Graphic Changes: Old illo less cropped/black background removed; new secondary illo

The Yazatas
Now Listed As: Yazatas
Text Changes: Traits and History considerably revised. Note: Prominent Members still listed as such.
Sidney Osinga
Jun 15, 2010, 07:16 pm

So Apollo is now listed as Venus (Aphrodite)? Really?

Also, the Otherworld entry went from 2 (counting the map) to 5.

Andy E. Nystrom
Jun 15, 2010, 07:55 pm

Sidney Osinga wrote:

So Apollo is now listed as Venus (Aphrodite)? Really?

Also, the Otherworld entry went from 2 (counting the map) to 5.

Both copying and pasting related errors, both fixed now, since the editing function hadn't timed out. Like I said, there was an inordinate amount of entries this time around. I literally had to take breathing breaks at points and let me eyes rest a bit before continuing, in addition to actually putting the book aside for a time. So I'm not surprised that my mind went blank at times when I was about to adjust something.

Total page count in Word: 17.

Roger Ott
Jun 15, 2010, 10:25 pm

You've outdone yourself!

sucellos11
Jun 16, 2010, 11:01 am

That's a ton of work you have there Andy. Great job once again! How many handbooks do you have left to cover the differences?
Andy E. Nystrom
Jun 16, 2010, 11:40 am

sucellos11 wrote:

That's a ton of work you have there Andy. Great job once again! How many handbooks do you have left to cover the differences?

I think 12 more plus a brief look at a few Files (beyond Files that were always intended for the hardcovers). I may be overlooking one or two but at the very least: A-Z 12, Update 2-3, 1970s, Annihilation, Weapon X, Spider-Man 2005, Mystic Arcana, New Avengers, Horror, Hulk 2004, Marvel Zombies. Also Valerie Cooper from 198 Files and a few monsters from Marvel Monsters. I might fudge further and add in a few more previously Files-only characters like Phone Ranger but not sure on that. I don't have anyone like Santa or Big Hero 6 characters who were at the end of regular comics.

bigvis497
Jun 16, 2010, 02:08 pm

Not 100% positive, but I don't think there were any changed on the St. Nick entry. Can anyone comment on Willy Lumpkin? I didn't get the Post Office thing he was featured in. Also, I can't comment on the Big Hero 6 entries as my LCBS ordered zero of those.

Sidney Osinga
Jun 16, 2010, 04:55 pm

bigvis497 wrote:

Not 100% positive, but I don't think there were any changed on the St. Nick entry. Also, I can't comment on the Big Hero 6 entries as my LCBS ordered zero of those.

With apologies to Andy E. Nystrom:

Santa Claus
Page Count: Unchanged at 4
Text Changes: Occupation tweaked. Extra paragraph added to note.
Graphic Changes: Two secondary Illustrations now colored

from Big Hero Six #1
Big Hero 6 (Changes below are from the hardcover to this book)
Text Changes: Current Members, Former Members, Base of Operations revised. 3rd and 4th paragraph merged. Part of last paragraph split off into new paragraph. Second last sentence altered slightly. Last sentence removed and 3 new ones added in it's place.
Graphic Changes: None

Baymax
Text Changes: Education altered. New second last sentence added in last paragraph.
Graphic Changes: Main illo now secondary. New main illo and captioned secondary illo.

Go-Go Tomago
Text Changes: New one sentence paragraph added at end.
Graphic Changes: Both illos removed. New main illo and two new secondary ones (one captioned).

Hiro
Now Listed as: Hiro Takachiho
Text Changes: Education tweaked. 5th sentence in 2nd paragraph rewritten/expanded. Final 2 sentences of 2nd paragraph removed, replaced with three expanded/updated ones.
Graphic Changes: Main illo removed, replaced by new one

Honey Lemon
Text Changes: None noted.
Graphic Changes: Main illo replaced by one based on it. New captioned secondary illo.

Silver Samurai
Text Changes: Aliases, Identity, Occupation, Place of Birth, Group Affiliation all revived. History greatly revised/expanded, although some text remains. Weight, Abilities/Accessories tweaked.
Graphic Changes: 6 new secondary illos, 3 captioned.

Sunfire
Now Listed as: Sunfire (Yoshida)
Page Count: Increased from 2 to 3
Text Changes: Aliases, Identity, Occupation, Known Relatives, Group Affiliation all revised. History greatly revised/expanded, although some text remains. Abilities/Accessories revised.
Graphic Changes: New main illo (old one now secondary). 1 secondary illo altered (less cropped but smaller). 3 new captioned secondary illos.

from Big Hero Six #2
Ebon Samurai
Text Changes: Last sentence in history removed, replaced by 3 new ones.
Graphic Changes: None

Sunpyre
Now Listed as: Sunpyre (Lumina)
Text Changes: Last sentence in History altered, 3 new ones added.
Graphic Changes: New secondary illo.

Japan (Changes below are from Marvel Atlas #1 to this book)
Page Count: Increased from 3 to 4.
Text Changes: New sentence added at end of Extraterrestrial Relations.
Graphic Changes: Two new secondary illos.

My photostream (over 7.5 million photos!)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24917258@N05/

Board footera