Who Watches the Watchers - Forum for the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe & Similar Works 20 YEARS! 2004-2024

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/11/2020 3:39 pm  #1

Definitive Reference Works on Movies

This thread is to list off what people might consider definitive books on movies. For purposes of this list, these are books that cover a particular topic (usually an individual movie or movie franchise) in so much depth that it's hard to imagine a better print work on the topic. I might do a similar thread later for DVD/Blu-Ray etc. bonus features including Commentary tracks, but for this thread, focus on print works on the movies. If enough people contribute, I'll add their recommendations to the first post with a note on who recommended it. List movie/movie franchise (or comparable topic) first, then the work, then why you think it's definitive.

To start:
Blade Runner: Future Noir, 3rd edition. Over 800 pages devoted to the initial making of the original movie and on the various rebirths that have happened since. The writer was on set for the filming of the movie, so even years later he has a greater level of access to cast and crew than your typical interviewer would have.
Friday the 13th franchise: Crystal Lake Memories. Large sized hardcover full of photos, and almost entirely make up of quotes from cast/crew interviewed who worked on the various movies up to Freddy vs. Jason. The comments are very candid; people talk about the good and the bad aspects on working on each movie.

My photostream (over 7.5 million photos!)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24917258@N05/

2/16/2020 7:41 am  #2

Re: Definitive Reference Works on Movies

Nice idea. Sadly, off the top of my head, I'm only coming up with books that cover TV series rather than films, at least to the kind of detail you describe.

2/16/2020 8:11 am  #3

Re: Definitive Reference Works on Movies

Loki wrote:

Nice idea. Sadly, off the top of my head, I'm only coming up with books that cover TV series rather than films, at least to the kind of detail you describe.

Okay, I'll start a TV thread.

My photostream (over 7.5 million photos!)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24917258@N05/

Board footera