Who Watches the Watchers - Forum for the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe & Similar Works 20 YEARS! 2004-2024

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/07/2024 6:23 pm  #1

Non-Pop Culture Trivia

This thread is for trivia questions that are hopefully still fun, but which have little to no pop culture aspects. Feel free to come up with questions as well.

The common link for this round of questions is geography.

1. Two municipalities, one in the United States, the other in the United Kingdom, share a celebration each August 9 whose name makes it sound more dreary than it really is. Name the day and the municipalities.

2. Name the three waterfalls at the Niagara Falls ON and Niagara Falls NY border, and indicate which of the three touches the Ontario side.

3. Which controversial historical figure has a larger than life statue in the Fremont area of Seattle?

4. What is the capital city of Vanuatu?

5. In which park can you find the Vancouver Aquarium?

6. Which bridge in London is sometimes confused with London Bridge by tourists assuming that the most impressive looking bridge in London is London Bridge?

7. Which nation is claimed by its government to be independent, whereas China's government considers it to be a province of theirs?

8.What is the largest island between Vaudreuil-Dorin and Saint Anne-de-Bellevue, Quebec, and what bird is its name French for?

9. Easter Island is part of which country, and what is the island's most common alternative name?

10. In which city can you find a cat museum, torture museum, marijuana museum, and eye glasses museum, as well as two erotic museums?

11. Which country is entirely surrounded by one city?

12. What is the name of the Indigenous peoples of New Zealand?

13. Which African nation is the most easily accessed from Spain?

14. Which three regions make up Oceania?

15. Which country is in between Switzerland and Austria, and what is its capital?

My photostream (over 7.5 million photos!)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24917258@N05/

3/07/2024 7:00 pm  #2

Re: Non-Pop Culture Trivia

7. Taiwan
9. ?, Rapa Nui
11. Vatican
12. Maori
13. Morocco
14. Macronesia, Micronesia, Polynesia?
15. Lichtenstein, ?

3/07/2024 7:13 pm  #3

7 is correct
9 is correct so far.
11-13 are correct.
14. The first one is incorrect, the other two are correct.
15. Is correct so far.

3/08/2024 3:28 am  #4

6. Tower Bridge

16. Which three locations in which three countries voluntarily formed the "Trinity of Tedium"?

3/08/2024 6:30 am  #5

Don't know the answer to your question but 6 is correct.

1. Two municipalities, one in the United States, the other in the United Kingdom, share a celebration each August 9 whose name makes it sound more dreary than it really is. Name the day and the municipalities.

2. Name the three waterfalls at the Niagara Falls ON and Niagara Falls NY border, and indicate which of the three touches the Ontario side.

3. Which controversial historical figure has a larger than life statue in the Fremont area of Seattle?

8.What is the largest island between Vaudreuil-Dorin and Saint Anne-de-Bellevue, Quebec, and what bird is its name French for?

9. Easter Island is part of which country, and what is the island's most common alternative name [Rapa Nui]?

10. In which city can you find a cat museum, torture museum, marijuana museum, and eye glasses museum, as well as two erotic museums?

14. Which three regions make up Oceania? [?, Micronesia, Polynesia]

15. Which country is in between Switzerland and Austria [Liechtenstein], and what is its capital?

[Loki's add:]
16. Which three locations in which three countries voluntarily formed the "Trinity of Tedium"?

3/08/2024 1:41 pm  #6

10. Chicago?

3/08/2024 3:33 pm  #7

10 is incorrect.

3/09/2024 5:01 am  #8

Adding clues (accidentally overwrote the intro but the gist was I was starting out vauge to make it easier to add clues).

The US one is an unincorporated community, the UK one is a village.

The latter touches both sides and one of its two names (I'll accept either) relates to its shape as a result. The other two are only known by one name each.

The figure is not from the Americas.

Two word name

Vancouver's most famous park.

Hyphenated word, with the part after the hyphen being the French word for the bird

9. Easter Island is part of which country, and what is the island's most common alternative name [Rapa Nui]?
Most of the rest of the country is on a continent.

Not a city in the Americas.

Remaining name sounds similar to a word related to skin colour.

15. Which country is in between Switzerland and Austria [Liechtenstein], and what is its capital?
One word

Last edited by Andy E. Nystrom (3/10/2024 3:27 pm)

3/10/2024 3:27 pm  #9

The US one is an unincorporated community, the UK one is a village.
The US one is in Oregon, the UK one is in Scotland

The latter touches both sides and one of its two names (I'll accept either) relates to its shape as a result. The other two are only known by one name each.
The smallest one is named after a wedding accessory for women, the medium sized one has the most US sounding name, and the largest is named after something you can find on a ranch.

He started a revolution in his country.

Two word name
First word sounds like a place you might find ships, second word sounds somewhat like a type of municipality.

A Canada-US sports trophy was named after the same person as the park

Hyphenated word, with the part after the hyphen being the French word for the bird
The bird can mimic human words

Most of the rest of the country is on a continent.
The continent is mostly in the southern hemisphere, as is Easter Island

Not a city in the Americas.
Somewhere in Europe

Shares the last five letters as the other two, so zuckyd1 wasn't that far off.

One word
Five letters

3/10/2024 5:43 pm  #10

9. Chile?
10. Amsterdam?
14. Pigmentnesia???

3/10/2024 6:22 pm  #11

9-10 are correct. 14 is incorrect but you have the right idea. Not pigment but a similar kind of word, minus part of its last syllable. Amsterdam of course is known for letting people smoke pot legally, particularly when smoked in coffee shops, and its two erotic museum are in its Red Light District, known for being safer than most for sex trade workers.

3/11/2024 4:30 am  #12

I've got the answer to #1, but it also answers my own question. 
1. Dull and Boring. The Scottish town of Dull in Perth and Kinross is twinned with Boring, Oregon. But in 2013 they added in a third location, Bland in New South Wales, Australia, forming what is now known as the Trinity of Tedium. 

3/11/2024 4:55 am  #13

Loki wrote:

I've got the answer to #1, but it also answers my own question. 
1. Dull and Boring. The Scottish town of Dull in Perth and Kinross is twinned with Boring, Oregon. But in 2013 they added in a third location, Bland in New South Wales, Australia, forming what is now known as the Trinity of Tedium. 

I did start to suspect there might be that overlap but I didn't want to say so and ruin my original question, which is what actually gave me the idea for the quiz. The day appears to have different names, but as of 2022 the signage in Boring still called it Boring and Dull Day. Speaking from what I know firsthand, there's a Boring Garden Center, Boring Mini-Storage, and Boring Bark and Landscaping. The door on the Shell gas station used to say Boring Shell. A now-closed pub was called the Not So Boring Pub. The local branch of the Clackamas Fire District used to be called Boring Fire District and their vans used to read Boring Fire. But my favourite is that they have a Boring Middle School.

3/11/2024 5:03 am  #14

3/11/2024 5:23 am  #15

3/11/2024 5:24 am  #16

The smallest one is named after a wedding accessory for women, the medium sized one has the most US sounding name, and the largest is named after something you can find on a ranch.

Two word name
First word sounds like a place you might find ships, second word sounds somewhat like a type of municipality.

One word
Five letters

3/12/2024 5:24 am  #17

More clues. For some I'll declare final clue because there isn't much more to say:

The smallest one is two words before Falls and is something the woman actually getting married might wear in the upper half of her body; the medium sized one is one word before Falls; and is a very common descriptor for the US; and the largest is one word before Falls, and for the answer I'm pushing the most, can also be used in a game

The country is somewhere in Eurasia

Two word name
FINAL CLUE: Both words four letters.

Park has a beach where West Vancouver and North Vancouver can be seen

If you take the French word for the bird, and subtract once the duplicate letter, you get the surname of a former US Presidential candidate.

FINAL CLUE: Four letters before the "nesia"

One word
Five letters
FINAL CLUE: Has a postage stamp museum

3/13/2024 4:32 am  #18

Final clues:

The smallest one is two words before Falls and is something the woman actually getting married might wear in the upper half of her body; the medium sized one is one word before Falls; and is a very common descriptor for the US; and the largest is one word before Falls, and for the answer I'm pushing the most, can also be used in a game
Looking from Ontario to New York, left to right: medium one (descriptor mostly used for the US but could also be used for a larger region), smallest one (the woman getting married wears the namesake on her head), largest one touching the Ontario side (this one has a curve)

There used to be a fast food franchise near the statue, a bit ironic as the subject wasn't all that fond of capitalism

Two word name
Both words four letters.

Park has a beach where West Vancouver and North Vancouver can be seen
Shares name with comic book character who has a pet monster

If you take the French word for the bird, and subtract once the duplicate letter, you get the surname of a former US Presidential candidate.
Some of the birds can be quite colourful

Four letters before the "nesia"

One word
Five letters
Has a postage stamp museum

3/13/2024 6:00 am  #19

5. Stanley Park

3/13/2024 6:03 am  #20

5 is correct. Both the park and the NHL's Stanley Cup were named after Frederick Arthur, Lord Stanley of Preston, a former Governor-General of Canada.

3/14/2024 7:19 am  #21

Here are the answers:

Looking from Ontario to New York, left to right: medium one (descriptor mostly used for the US but could also be used for a larger region), smallest one (the woman getting married wears the namesake on her head), largest one touching the Ontario side (this one has a curve)

Medium sized waterfall [medium one (descriptor mostly used for the US but could also be used for a larger region)]: American Falls
Smallest waterfall [(the woman getting married wears the namesake on her head)]: Bridal Veil Falls
Largest waterfall [largest one touching the Ontario side (this one has a curve, named after something you can find on a ranch, also used in a game)]: while I would also accept Canadian Falls, the most common name is Horseshoe Falls

There used to be a fast food franchise near the statue, a bit ironic as the subject wasn't all that fond of capitalism

Vladimir Lenin

Two word name
Both words four letters.

Port Vila

Some of the birds can be quite colourful

Île Perrot, the bird being parrot. There's some quirky naming aspects: Île Perrot (the island) has three municipalities: Pincourt, L'Île-Perrot (the municipality), and Notre-Dame-de-l'Île-Perrot. However L'Île-Perrot (the municipality) spans part of Île Perrot (the island), as well as the smaller islands of Île Claude and Île Bellevue)

Four letters before the "nesia"

I was trying to allude to "melanin", so Melanesia

One word
Five letters
Has a postage stamp museum

Vaduz

3/14/2024 7:25 am  #22

3/29/2024 7:43 am  #23

Next set also on location, but focusing on the Pacific Northwest, so southern British Columbia (BC), Washington (WA), Oregon (OR). At least part of Idaho is also in the region but I don't have enough knowledge of that state to do questions. A few of the questions arguably have a slight pop culture aspect, but well on the periphery so it's probably okay.

1. For British Columbia, Washington, and Oregon, name their respective capitols.

2. Until it was shut down indefinitely due to COVID, what was the only Washington State Ferries stop not in Washington State?

3. What store in which city can you find the Rubber Chicken Museum and the World's Largest Rubber Chicken?

4. In which city can you find the World's Tallest Tin Soldier?

5. What is the name of the world's smallest park and in which city can you find it?

6. In Carlsborg, WA, there is a private road called My Way. How does its location make it a pun?

7. Which beach-sounding municipality is just south of Boring, OR?

8. In which business in which city can you find a vacuum museum?

9. Which light rail transportation in Seattle has just two stops?

10. Which municipality unfortunately made the news when it was when it was discovered that some of its residents were engaging in what they considered to be romance with horses? I'm probably going to have to be a bit more vague with some of the clues than I would be for the other questions.

11. What is the largest municipality in Greater Victoria?

12. What are light rail trains in Greater Vancouver, BC called?

13. Where can you find the last Blockbuster Video?

14. Which Seattle landmark can you find under a bridge?

15. Which municipality is directly north of Portland, OR?

16. Victoria, BC is on what island?

17. Victoria, BC's Inner Harbour has two ferries going to Washington State. What are the two municipalities they go to, or if you prefer, come from? That is, each ferry stops at Victoria and only one other municipality.

18. In which district in Vancouver can you find a steam clock?

19. The Old County Market is known for having multiples of a particular type of animal on the roof. Which animal are they and which municipality?

20. In which municipality can you find the headquarters of Amazon?

21. In which municipality can you find the headquarters of Microsoft?

22. In which municipality can you find the headquarters of Fantagraphics?

23. In which municipality can you find the headquarters of Dark Horse Comics?

24. Which video company known for distributing obscure, oddball movies/short/trailers from past eras is based out of Seattle (and previously Lynnwood?

3/29/2024 8:09 am  #24

1. Oregon: Salem?
6. Something to do with Frank Sinatra?
20, 21: Seattle?
22, 23: Portland?
24. Something Weird Video?

3/29/2024 8:39 am  #25

1. Salem is correct for Oregon.
6 isn't related to Sinatra.
20 is correct.
21 is incorrect but can be accessed from Seattle by public transit; currently just buses but soon light rail.
22 is incorrect.
23 is incorrect but can be accessed from Portland by public transit (you can take a bus but light rail is a lot faster).
24 is correct.

3/30/2024 6:02 pm  #26

First set of clues are all something that is not the answer.

1. For British Columbia, Washington, and Oregon [Salem], name their respective capitols.
Not Vancouver for BC nor Seattle for WA

2. Until it was shut down indefinitely due to COVID, what was the only Washington State Ferries stop not in Washington State?
Not Greater Vancouver

3. What store in which city can you find the Rubber Chicken Museum and the World's Largest Rubber Chicken?
Not Powell's Books

Not Portland

5. What is the name of the world's smallest park and in which city can you find it?
Arguably despite the efforts of some past provincial governments, the world's smallest park is not in BC

6. In Carlsborg, WA, there is a private road called My Way. How does its location make it a pun?
As alluded to previously, not a reference to "I did it my way". Nor is it relevant that it's a private road.

Not Seaside.

Not a business with additional locations **outside the Pacific Northwest**.

Not the Sounder train.

10. Which municipality unfortunately made the news when it was when it was discovered that some of its residents were engaging in what they considered to be romance with horses? I'm probably going to have to be a bit more vague with some of the clues than I would be for the other questions.
Not in BC

Not Victoria proper.

Nothing that sounds like "subway".

Not in BC

Nothing related to grunge music.

Not an Oregon location.

Not Victoria Island (and we hate it when people call the island that).

17. Victoria, BC's Inner Harbour has two ferries going to Washington State. What are the two municipalities they go to, or if you prefer, come from? That is, each ferry stops at Victoria and only one other municipality.
Not Forks (sorry Twilight fans) or Port Townsend

Not Granville Island

19. The Old County Market is known for having multiples of a particular type of animal on the roof. Which animal are they and which municipality?
Not horses

Not Everett

Not in Oregon

Not Beaverton.

3/31/2024 7:59 am  #27

1. Spokane, Washington?
6. Is My Way located near a highway?

3/31/2024 8:03 am  #28

1 is incorrect.
6 is correct enough that I think you basically have the answer. My Way's "cross street" is Highway 101, ergo your options travelling at that intersection are My Way or the highway.

4/01/2024 7:50 am  #29

1. For British Columbia, Washington, and Oregon [Salem], name their respective capitols.
BC: think British royalty. WA: think Greece

Not Greater Vancouver
Somewhere in BC

Not Powell's Books
Store is name of person and is located in WA

Not Portland
Not the main city, but part of a Greater _____

Arguably despite the efforts of some past provincial governments, the world's smallest park is not in BC
Major city. For name of park, think "grinder terminates".

Not Seaside.
Location has a [municipality name] Chainsaw, [municipality name] Bicycle, and [municipality name] Liquor, and in all three cases the municipality name might put you off the purchase.

Franchise in the general area, with this branch in a major city.

Not the Sounder train.
One stop takes you almost right to the Space Needle

Not in BC
The last syllable is something that some animals have but not horses.

Not Victoria proper.
First Nations sounding name,

Name suggests above ground, despite one of the lines being largely underground.

Not in BC
Trying to guess this might drive you nuts. It might even...

Consider works of fiction involving bridges.

Not an Oregon location.
Shares name with a much better known Pacific Northwest city.

Shares name with a city not on the island.

One of the two locations is a major city, the other is two words and the second word is the same as the second word in a well known city in the US far south of the Pacific Northwest but still on the west.

Not Granville Island
Think fuel

Not horses
Location is hair item often found in bathroom, only with one letter duplicated. Trying to figure out the animal type might be very frustrating. It might even...

Not Everett
East of Seattle but still greater Seattle.

Not in Oregon
Major city.

Not Beaverton.
While not in Portland proper, it's part of Greater Portland

4/02/2024 3:50 pm  #30

More clues. Note that answers do repeat.

BC: think British royalty. WA: think Greece
BC: Person's name. WA: Take a major sports event, remove the last two letters, and add another to the end.

Not Greater Vancouver
Somewhere in BC
Pronounced the same as a major Australia city, only one vowel is different.

Not Powell's Books
Store is name of person and is located in WA
First name of person is same as a comedic comic book character. Major city.

Not Portland
Not the main city, but part of a Greater _____
Name doesn't suggest that it's old or to the east.

Major city. For name of park, think "grinder terminates".
Or maybe "pulp and paper or aluminum processor finishes". Not in WA/

Not Seaside.
Location has a [municipality name] Chainsaw, [municipality name] Bicycle, and [municipality name] Liquor, and in all three cases the municipality name might put you off the purchase.
Name is normally a one word adjective.

Franchise in the general area, with this branch in a major city.
Not in BC. At some point the name of the business will be laid bare.

Not the Sounder train.
One stop takes you almost right to the Space Needle
There is only the one train.

Not in BC
The last syllable is something that some animals have but not horses.
Three syllables

Not Victoria proper.
First Nations sounding name.
Two syllables.

Name suggests above ground, despite one of the lines being largely underground.
Two syllables, each a word normally, think "aerial locomotive"

Not in BC
Trying to guess this might drive you nuts. It might even...
Unless your body is paralyzed, it can do this..

Consider works of fiction involving bridges.
The attraction is a statue, and where it's situated is very relevant
Not an Oregon location.
Shares name with a much better known Pacific Northwest city.
Shares a name with a major city, and there are not two municipalities with the same name in the state.

Shares name with a city not on the island.
Its city namesake is a major city.

One of the two locations is a major city, the other is two words and the second word is the same as the second word in a well known city in the US far south of the Pacific Northwest but still on the west.
Both locations are less than three hours sailing away.

Not Granville Island
Think fuel
Two syllable word. Think "flatulent municipality that is smaller than a city"

Not horses
Location is hair item often found in bathroom, only with one letter duplicated. Trying to figure out the animal type might be very frustrating. It might even...
Animal commonly found on a farm. First three letters of municipality: think dove speak.

Not Everett
East of Seattle but still greater Seattle.
First syllable is a colour.

Not in Oregon
Major city.
Somewhere in WA.

Not Beaverton.
While not in Portland proper, it's part of Greater Portland.
There might be happy days ahead if you can figure this one out.

Board footera