Who Watches the Watchers - Forum for the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe & Similar Works 20 YEARS! 2004-2024

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/10/2020 4:40 pm  #1

The Imaginary Nightcrawler Handbook Thread

Historical text from CxPulp:

skippcomet
01-17-2015, 02:22 PM

Okay, here it is: the handbook that was inspired by the cover artwork for a non-handbook. This will consist of three kinds of entries:

1. Brand new entries for the 2000's+ Marvel Handbooks;
2. One-page (we hope) updates of previously covered characters (primarily those seen on the Nightcrawler cover in question); and
3. Full and fully updated entries of characters previously covered (think the entries for Jean Grey, Rachel Summers, etc., in the Phoenix Force Handbook or some of the entries in the back of some X-Men: Legacy TPBs)

I'll identify which entries I see as which of the above categories by leaving a 1, 2, or 3 next to it. If there's any questions, please ask.

Abyss (Styger, paternal half-brother) (3)
Armor (Ichiki) (3, upgraded from her previous half-page entry)
Azazel (Nightcrawer's father) (3)
Bamfs (3)
Beast (McCoy) Update (2)
Kiwi Black (paternal half-brother) (1)
Broo (1; demonic-looking character who's really very sweet and kind...sound familiar?)
Chamber Update (2)
Dr. Louis Childs (1)
Colossus (Rasputin) Update (2)
Graydon Creed (maternal half-brother) (3)
Crimson Pirates (1)
Cross-Time Caper (1)
Crosta (1)
Eques (1)
Gator Grant (1)
Husk Update (2)
Iceman (Drake) Update (2)
Jahrmarkt (1)
Amos Jardine (1)
Jean Grey School for Higher Learning (1)
Ziggy Karst (1)
Kymri (1)
M Update (2)
Marvel Girl (Rachel) Update (2)
Mercury (Kincaide) Update (2)
Mystique (Darkholme, mother) (3)
Nature Girl (1)
Nightcrawler (Wagner, our star character) (3)
Christine Palmer (an entry all her own outside of the Night Nurse entry)
Psylocke Update (2)
Judith Rassendyll (1)
Cecelia Reyes Update (2)
Rico (1)
Amanda Sefton (adoptive sister) (3)
Storm (Munroe) Update (2)
Alysande Stuart (1)
Stefan Szardos (adoptive brother) (1)
Trimega (1)
Seth Walker (1)
Warbird (Ava'Dara) (1)
X-Men Forever (Earth-161, where Nightcrawler & Rogue 'switched' appearances, among other things) (1)

Truly a hogde-podge, methinks....what do you think?

Andy E. Nystrom
01-17-2015, 07:02 PM

Catholic Church of Earth-616 (1) - Nightcrawler is a devout Catholic so it might be interesting to look at the positive/negative portrayals of Catholicism in Earth-616.
Germany (2) - With all the WW2 comics out there it would be easy enough to expand this. Though you'd probably want to add some not non-Nazis to balance it out, e.g. noting the new Iron Cross.
Nightcrawler's Image Inducer (1) Probably good for a half-pager if it wasn't folded into Nightcrawler's own entry
Wolverine update (3)- Let's face it, Wolverine's presences will considerably add to the number of people who would purchase a Nightcrawler Handbook

zuckyd1
01-18-2015, 09:33 AM

skippcomet wrote:

Truly a hogde-podge, methinks....what do you think?

I'd buy it.
Sidney Osinga
01-18-2015, 10:31 AM
Entries for individual members of the Imperial Guard and the Marauders could also be included.

vanhornluke
01-18-2015, 04:51 PM

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

Catholic Church of Earth-616 (1) - Nightcrawler is a devout Catholic so it might be interesting to look at the positive/negative portrayals of Catholicism in Earth-616.

That would be really interesting.

Edit: That entry could include the events of Marvel's one-shot The Life of Pope John Paul II (which is referenced in marvunapp's Hitler entry: link).

skippcomet
01-18-2015, 08:48 PM

Sidney Osinga wrote:

Entries for individual members of the Imperial Guard and the Marauders could also be included.

Riptide was on the initial list I compiled, since he caused the injuries that, long story short, led to Nightcrawler joining Excalibur. He was a casualty as I fine-tuned and found other potential entry subjects.

The suggestion for Wolverine is interesting. I acknowledge that he and Nightcrawler are/were good friends at one point (not counting the times when one of them is dead), but wasn't sure of their friendship's status in recent years. Also, I kinda didn't want to run the risk of Wolverine overshadowing Kurt in his own Imaginary Handbook.

And even though Kurt and Rogue are unofficial adoptive siblings via Mystique, it just didn't seem the right place for her to get an update entry, either. There are more potential opportunities for Rogue to receive an update than, say, Abyss or Graydon Creed. Margali as his adoptive mother I forgot to include (has she appeared anywhere since her entry?); Stefan has never had an official entry, so I wanted to include him.

Question: Of the previously covered characters whom I included either because they appeared on the Nightcrawler cover or are relatives of his, are there any you would suggest be left out?

My photostream (over 7.5 million photos!)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24917258@N05/

Board footera