Who Watches the Watchers - Forum for the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe & Similar Works 20 YEARS! 2004-2024

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/31/2020 1:33 pm  #1

The Imaginary Invaders Handbook Thread

Historical text from CxPulp:
skippcomet
01-09-2015, 03:08 PM
So, kind of inspired by the cancellation of All-New Invaders, I present to you what might have been...The Invaders Handbook.

Agent Axis
Paul Anselm
Axis Powers (featuring the Marvel Universe-only exploits of the likes of Hitler, Mussolini, Hirohito, etc. Kinda like the Yakuza entry)
Blue Bullet
Captain America (Rogers) Update
Winston Churchill (general biography with a focus on his Earth-616-only exploits)
Crazy SUES
Firebrand Squadron
Golden Girl (Sabuki)
Golem (Goldstein)
Gotteskrieger
Human Meteor
Human Top (Mitchell)
Human Torch (Hammond) Update
Inhuman Torch
Invaders Update
Iron Cross (Helmut Gruler)
Iron Cross (Mors)
Slow-Motion Jones
Lady Lotus
Leopard Woman (Kyra)
Major Liberty
Namor Update
Nazis (like Yakuza entry, include MU-only exploits of real-life Nazi officials as well as major fictional Nazis)
Nia Noble
Radiance
Franklin D. Roosevelt (see Winston Churchill)
Scarlet Scareb (father AND son)
Spider Queen (Kane)
Strong Man (van Norton)
Teutonic Knight
Thunderer (Carstairs)
Toro (Thompson) Update
Volton
Winter Soldier Update
Young Allies (WWII)
Young Avenger

Any suggestions or comments?

vanhornluke
01-09-2015, 03:27 PM
Would non-superpowered soldiers who fought in WW2 (e.g., Combat Casey or the 50s Combat Kelly) fit the theme?

Angelicknight
01-09-2015, 04:06 PM
Ash (Artificial Superhuman)
Freedom's Five
Goldfire (Sabuki)
Iron Cross (Clare Gruler)
Red Guardian's WW II team (Proletariat, Night Witch, Iron Comrade and Sunbird)
Super-Axis (update)
Tanalith the Pursuer
Topspin (Mitchell)
Uberkommando

Eduardo M.
01-09-2015, 04:44 PM
Lavender
Miss Patriot

vanhornluke
01-09-2015, 05:13 PM
How about the Heap?

Andy E. Nystrom
01-09-2015, 08:09 PM
Adolf Hitler (or expanded Hate-Monger coverage with more info on his WW2 time)
Kid Commandos

Sidney Osinga
01-09-2015, 11:31 PM
Armless Tiger Man
Izzy Cohen, Dino Manelli, and Sam Sawyer of the Howling Commandos
Phantom Eagle

vanhornluke
01-10-2015, 02:37 PM
I don't think the following could have their own entries, but it would be cool if they were referenced (even if only obliquely) in someone else's entry:

Leland Case
Green Hornet (his great uncle, the Lone Ranger, was name-dropped by the Rawhide Kid, so that's at least weak evidence that there's a 616 Green Hornet, too)
Project: Gladiator
Bernice Reinstein
Steve Rogers (and Jeannie) from Earth-Questar (I doubt it has a reality number yet)
Paul Veidt
Yankee Commando

zuckyd1
01-10-2015, 02:44 PM
Re: Churchill, Roosevelt, etc.: Have any real life people ever gotten handbook entries? (Not counting the handbook staff.)

Sidney Osinga
01-11-2015, 08:12 AM
Off the top of my head, Hitler is partially, sort of covered in the Hatemonger entry, and Stalin, Lizzie Borden, Heinrich Himmler, and Lucrezia Borgia were part of the Lethal Legion entry.

Andy E. Nystrom
01-11-2015, 09:02 AM

Sidney Osinga wrote:

Off the top of my head, Hitler is partially, sort of covered in the Hatemonger entry, and Stalin, Lizzie Borden, Heinrich Himmler, and Lucrezia Borgia were part of the Lethal Legion entry.

You'll note that I did suggest an expanded Hate-Monger entry as one option. There's a lot of ground to cover with Hitler between his Golden Age appearances and various retroactive appearances, maybe even a section on appearances that cannot be 616 because they contradict his being Hate-Monger.

zuckyd1
01-12-2015, 04:53 PM

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

maybe even a section on appearances that cannot be 616 because they contradict his being Hate-Monger.

I'm curious what might be on this list.

vanhornluke
01-12-2015, 07:12 PM

zuckyd1 wrote:

I am as well.

Andy E. Nystrom
01-13-2015, 04:03 PM

zuckyd1 wrote:

Pure speculation on my part I admit. I know DC was prone to variations on "Hitler is alive" in various places like House of Mystery. I can't say for sure that any such stories exist at Marvel, but I'd be surprised if Lee etc didn't dip into that well at least once in a 1950s-early 1960s fantasy title.

skippcomet
01-13-2015, 04:09 PM
Maybe we need an Imaginary Marvel Soldiers Handbook. One thing I tried very hard to do while composing this was focus on the Invaders through its various incarnations and titles, with the furthest straying hopefully being the Crazy SUES, Young Avenger and Slow-Motion Jones (and mentally, I linked those in by saying "super-heroes fighting in WWII led by Captain America"). I didn't want to just turn it into a "hey, let's throw in every Golden-Age/set-during-WWII character who hasn't been covered yet" book. Which is not to say I don't want those characters covered, either, just that I was trying to stay as close to the "Invaders" theme as I could.

Angelicknight
01-13-2015, 04:43 PM
Maybe an Imaginary Armed Forces Handbook for Armed Forces Day coming up in May. It Could deal with soldiers, heroes and villains who served in a branch of the military ect. I was going to add the Banshee Squadron from Captain Marvel/Ms. Marvel but didn't really fit the Invaders theme you was going for so i opted to leave them out. If not they could probably be covered in a Pre-Modern Handbook covering characters from the dawn of time up to the first appearance of the FF which could include retconed characters as well.

mal32
01-15-2015, 10:36 PM
Agent Axis is a character who really deserves a profile

vanhornluke
02-05-2015, 02:21 PM

vanhornluke wrote:

I don't think the following could have their own entries, but it would be cool if they were referenced (even if only obliquely) in someone else's entry:

Leland Case
Green Hornet (his great uncle, the Lone Ranger, was name-dropped by the Rawhide Kid, so that's at least weak evidence that there's a 616 Green Hornet, too)
Project: Gladiator
Bernice Reinstein
Steve Rogers (and Jeannie) from Earth-Questar (I doubt it has a reality number yet)
Paul Veidt
Yankee Commando

Along the same lines, I just noticed that Baron Zemo appears in Emmanuel Gorlier's "Out of Time," in Tales of the Shadowmen, vol. 6: Grand Guignol (Encino, CA: Black Coat Press, 2009), 48-54. So, it'd be cool if characters and events from that story were obliquely referenced, too.

zuckyd1
02-06-2015, 03:51 PM

vanhornluke wrote:

Along the same lines, I just noticed that Baron Zemo appears in Emmanuel Gorlier's "Out of Time," in Tales of the Shadowmen, vol. 6: Grand Guignol (Encino, CA: Black Coat Press, 2009), 48-54. So, it'd be cool if characters and events from that story were obliquely referenced, too.

Tales of the Shadowmen = Wold Newton Universe = huge can of worms

Although as far as non-Marvel handbooks go, a Wold Newton one would be pretty awesome

vanhornluke
02-06-2015, 05:52 PM

zuckyd1 wrote:

Although as far as non-Marvel handbooks go, a Wold Newton one would be pretty awesome

Yeah, I'd buy that in a heartbeat.

My photostream (over 7.5 million photos!)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24917258@N05/

Board footera