Who Watches the Watchers - Forum for the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe & Similar Works 20 YEARS! 2004-2024

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/31/2020 2:04 pm  #1

The Imaginary Licensed/Marvel Doesn't (Fully) Own'Em Characters Handbo

Historical text from CxPulp:
skippcomet
02-14-2014, 12:21 AM
A Handbook idea that, due to the legalese involved, could only be imaginary. I was initially going to call this the "Licensed Characters Handbook," but I remembered there are some characters that don't quite fit that description. Anyways, here's an opening salvo!

Access
Amalgam Universe
Baron Karza
Black September
Charcoal (Charlie Burlingame)
Conan the Barbarian
The Doctor
Exiles (Ultraverse)
Fah Lo Suee
Fu Manchu
Ghoul (Ultraverse)
Godzilla
Amber Hunt
Solomon Kane
Kull
Micronauts
Night Man
Prime
Red Sonja
Rom
Rune
Shogun Warriors
Si-Fan
Ultraforce
Ultraverse

I've seen the Appendix entry on the Doctor (kudos on the most recent update on that) and I've a question: since this is all imaginary, would a Handbook-style entry on the Doctor best be done as one entry, period, or would it be better to separate his individual selves/regenerations into separate entries? (Ooh, a discussion! Maybe?)

Andy E. Nystrom
02-14-2014, 07:55 AM
I think the Doctor would be best handled as a single entry. It's a single timeline and if the entry is Marvel focussed many of the Doctors wouldn't really get touched on anyway except in passing, just the incarnations who actually appeared in a Marvel story.

To the above I'd add:
Dennis the Menace
Doc Savage
Earth-Crossover
Earth-Hanna-Barbera for lack of a better term, to cover that short-lived 1970s line
Electric Company characters (seen in Spidey Super-Stories)
Heathcliff
Hostess Products
Human Fly (stuntman)
NFL Superpro
Starriors

Angelicknight
02-14-2014, 09:14 AM
Avengers/JLA (Event)
James Bond
The Brothers (Marvel vs. DC)
Combo Man (Promo)
Earth-Star Trek
Guiding Light
Illuminator
Kevlor and Nomextra (Promo)
Marvel vs. DC (Event)
Night Cat
Kiss
Meteor Man
Sherlock Holmes
Solarman
Tarzan

vanhornluke
02-14-2014, 11:21 AM
What about the following as well?
Action Force (or maybe just some of the characters)
Angela
Firearm (my favorite of the Ultraverse series)
G.I. Joe (or maybe just some of the characters)
Transformers (same)
Transformers UK (same)

zuckyd1
02-15-2014, 09:01 AM
So are we including anything ever published by Marvel? Because a couple of the ones mentioned (Dennis the Menace, Hanna-Barbara, Starriors, etc.) have no connection to the Marvel multiverse that I'm aware of.

vanhornluke
02-15-2014, 10:09 AM
Just thought of two more I wish I could see entries for in this imaginary handbook:

The Cobra; this guy was the villain in the Brazilian Captain Marvel/Human Torch crossover back in the early 60s; he's so obscure he doesn't even have an entry at marvunapp
Prototype (Ultraverse); I'd want an entry to try to harmonize the apparently irreconcilable sequences of events in his own series and the first few issues of Ultraforce (vol. 1)

skippcomet
02-16-2014, 04:06 AM

zuckyd1 wrote:

So are we including anything ever published by Marvel? Because a couple of the ones mentioned (Dennis the Menace, Hanna-Barbara, Starriors, etc.) have no connection to the Marvel multiverse that I'm aware of.

I'd go along with zuckyd1 on this. I'd limit it to characters, events, and concepts that actually interacted with the Marvel universe and/or it's characters, however tangentially. Just because Marvel (or was it the Star line?) published a Dennis the Menace comic in the 80s shouldn't negate the fact that it was entirely self-contained. Likewise with the Star Trek license -- twice Marvel had the license to publish comics based on the Star Trek universe, and yet the only interaction between Trek characters and Marvel characters was found in the (IMO) dubiously conceived and executed crossovers between the X-Men and both TOS and TNG. An entry covering the events of one or both crossovers, however, wouldn't be out of the question in this imaginary handbook. Same as for the so-weird-on-paper-it-just-about-worked Punisher/Archie crossover.

I remember back in the 90s's seeing a solicitation for a "Official Handbook of the Ultraverse" mini that never actually materialized, and indeed, the inexplicable changes that Black September wrought on the Ultraverse would make such a project a major headache. Which is why I limited my suggested Ultraverse entries to those characters that most interacted with Marvel characters (that I could remember, anyway).

Andy E. Nystrom
02-16-2014, 07:26 AM
Okay, I'll revise my list, though there is already precedent for characters not appearing outside their own title/series appearing in the handbooks (Mort the Dead Teenager, Generic Super-Hero, Blaze the Wonder Collie, probably some of the Golden Age characters, etc). Dennis preceded Star, I would argue that Archie Meets the Punisher works really well (lots of Easter Eggs), though I think the villain and not the event should be used (otherwise it would basically be an index entry with missing credits).

Series the characters etc appear in noted in parentheses.

Campbell Kids (Captain America Meets the Campbell Kids)
Clark and Lois (various)
Dallas Ballet Nutcracker (Spider-Man, Fire-Star and Iceman at the Dallas Ballet Nutcracker)
Doc Savage (Doc Savage, Marvel Two-in-One)
Earth-Crossover (Superman vs the Amazing Spider-Man, etc)
Electric Company (Spidey Super-Stories)
Tom Fagan (Avengers, etc)
Red Fever (Archie Meets the Punisher)
Hostess Products (various back covers)
Human Fly (Human Fly)
Jack Kirby (Fantastic Four, etc)
Stan Lee (Fantastic Four, Flashback issues, etc)
David Letterman (Avengers)
NFL Superpro (NFL Superpro; Spider-Man appears in this title)
Not Ready for Prime Time Players (Marvel Team-Up)
Thanscopter (Spidey Super-Stories - sadly anything in that title is a grey area at best, but a helicopter flown by Thanos really deserves an entry)
United States Presidents (various)

vanhornluke
02-16-2014, 08:52 AM
How about Darth Vader, since he appeared both in Marvel's original Star Wars series and in a panel in an X-Men issue (a Shiar crowd scene with lots of non-Marvel aliens, too)?

Angelicknight
02-16-2014, 12:39 PM
Revised list.

Avenger/JLA - JLA/Avengers (event)
James Bond
Black Fury/Miss Fury
Blackstone the Magician
Brothers (Marvel Vs DC/DC vs Marvel)
Captain Crunch (Spider-Man advertisements)
Colgate Junior (Captain America advertisement)
Devil's Reign (event, Marvel/Top Cow crossover)
Earth-74425 (Baravelli advertisements)
Caitlin Fizgerald (Access' DC Universe girlfriend)
Guiding Light
Illuminator
Invincible (Marvel Team-Up #14)
KISS
Jay Leno (Spider-Man and Jay Leno in: One Night Only, inserts)
Mantis (covering her Willow/DC universe and Lorelei/Eclipse Universe appearances)
Marvel vs. DC/DC vs. Marvel (event)
Meteor Man
Night Cat
Promo characters (Asthma Monster, Combo Man, Eques, Kevlor and Nomextra, Myth Monster, Prodigy, Rattan, T-Ray ect.) that have interacted with Marvel characters
Rutland, Vermont (city, parade)
Savage Dragon (Spider-Man Team-Up #3)
Sherlock Holmes
Solarman
Starman (Quasar #14, DC character)
Star Trek/X-Men crossovers (events)
Tarzan
World War 3/"Earth 13" (event, Counter Earth-Fanklin and Earth Wildstorm merger)

Appendix covering all Marvel other company crossovers
Appendix covering all promos, giveaways ect. related to Marvel

zuckyd1
02-16-2014, 03:41 PM

vanhornluke wrote:

How about Darth Vader, since he appeared both in Marvel's original Star Wars series and in a panel in an X-Men issue (a Shiar crowd scene with lots of non-Marvel aliens, too)?

Which issue was that? I love me some easter eggs.

Angelicknight wrote:

Mantis (covering her Willow/DC universe and Lorelei/Eclipse Universe appearances)l

Her current entry actually includes allusions to these appearances—both Willow and Lorelei are listed under "Aliases" and her history section mentions her encounter with "a league of justice-serving heroes".

zuckyd1
02-16-2014, 03:45 PM

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

there is already precedent for characters not appearing outside their own title/series appearing in the handbooks (Mort the Dead Teenager, Generic Super-Hero, Blaze the Wonder Collie, probably some of the Golden Age characters, etc)

Aside from golden age characters (of which there are a good number) are there any other such examples?

Andy E. Nystrom
02-16-2014, 04:07 PM

zuckyd1 wrote:

Aside from golden age characters (of which there are a good number) are there any other such examples?

Blaze is arguably a little past the Golden Age (1949, as is Diablo and Nimo), and Mort and Generic are both well past it. Man-oo is 1954, still in between ages but well past the Golden Age. Closer to the Silver Age actually if you count the first appearance of Barry Allen as such (the usual rule is the Silver Age starts when it does across the board).

vanhornluke
02-16-2014, 05:19 PM

zuckyd1 wrote:

Which issue was that? I love me some easter eggs.

Uncanny X-Men #245

Eduardo M.
02-16-2014, 05:37 PM

vanhornluke wrote:

Uncanny X-Men #245

he was apparently part of the Alien Invaders in that issue

vanhornluke
02-16-2014, 05:41 PM

Eduardo M. wrote:

he was apparently part of the Alien Invaders in that issue

Right. I misremembered it as a Shiar scene.

Andy E. Nystrom
02-16-2014, 08:42 PM

vanhornluke wrote:

Right. I misremembered it as a Shiar scene.

IIRC there was a Shi'ar scene during the Claremont/Byrne/Austin era with Popeye among the aliens. Could you have been merging those Easter eggs in your mind?

vanhornluke
02-16-2014, 09:36 PM
That might be it.

Eduardo M.
02-17-2014, 08:32 AM
the X-Men #245 scene not only had Vader but also Boba Fett, Alf, and a Xenomorph

Rayeye
02-17-2014, 02:55 PM
I was wondering if the Special Executive would fit in this category. As Gallifreyan mutates they were originally characters from the Doctor Who Magazine, before showing up in the Captain Britain series. Only the Technet (who've got members from the Special Executive among them) got a profile in the OHOTMU's.

Sidney Osinga
02-17-2014, 03:25 PM
Circuit Breaker
Godzilla
the Shogun Warriors

Stuart V
06-08-2014, 08:54 AM

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

[img]file:///C:\Users\Andy\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image001.png[/img]
IIRC there was a Shi'ar scene during the Claremont/Byrne/Austin era with Popeye among the aliens. Could you have been merging those Easter eggs in your mind?

Terry Austin added Popeye to the background of X-Men #125. It was an issue drawn by John Byrne, but he confirms he didn't include Popeye, who was added by Austin when he inked the art. You can make him out to the left of Lilandra's knees.
http://i435.photobucket.com/albums/q...men125pg16.jpg
What's of possibly more interest is the presence of the two-headed alien slightly to the front of Xavier - that's a Pierson's Puppeteer from Larry Niven's Known Space stories. Byrne's a fan of Niven, and it's not the only time Puppeteers turn up in his work - you can see one on the cover and inside of Ganthet's Tale, a Green Lantern graphic novel written by Niven and drawn by Byrne
http://goodcomics.comicbookresources...regg9-25-3.jpg
and on the cover of the third issue of Byrne's Star Trek miniseries Leonard McCoy: Frontier Doctor.

Going back to the X-Men panel, you can also see the Phantom Stranger, and in the piece of the panel below that is visible, you can spot Kyras Shakati, Arak and Arion from Star-Lord.

Rayeye wrote:

I was wondering if the Special Executive would fit in this category. As Gallifreyan mutates they were originally characters from the Doctor Who Magazine, before showing up in the Captain Britain series. Only the Technet (who've got members from the Special Executive among them) got a profile in the OHOTMU's.

Ish. Because of differing laws regarding creators in the UK, and especially how Dr. Who writers generally retain partial creation rights, Alan Moore may well own some of the rights to the Special Executive members who first appeared in Dr. Who Magazine. That's presumably why the ones who were introduced later in Captain Britain were subsequently split off to become part of the Technet in the post-Moore stories.

My photostream (over 7.5 million photos!)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24917258@N05/

Board footera