Who Watches the Watchers - Forum for the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe & Similar Works 20 YEARS! 2004-2024

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/31/2020 2:19 pm  #1

The Imaginary Thor: The Dark World-Timed Thor Handbook!

Historical text from CxPulp:
skippcomet
11-12-2013, 10:48 PM
Continuing with a trend I started on the old WWTW page, let's discuss who and what could have been covered in a Thor-centric handbook released in conjunction with the new movie, "Thor: The Dark World." (Reminder: Marvel used to do handbooks in conjunction with the release of the movies "Iron Man," "Iron Man II," "Thor," "Captain America: The First Avenger," and last year's modest hit, "Marvel's The Avengers." It since has foregone such handbooks despite the release of the films "Ghost Rider: Spirits of Vengeance," "The Amazing Spider-Man," "The Wolverine," "Iron Man 3," and now "Thor: The Dark World." This is a way to play What If?, Handbook-style.)

skippcomet
11-12-2013, 10:55 PM
Based on the characters in the movie, we could easily argue for updates on the following: Thor himself, Loki, Odin, and Sif. I include the last two because the last time they received any coverage was their entries in the Premiere Hardcover series. Volstagg and Malekith were covered in the "Thor: Asgard's Avenger" handbook, but Hogun and Fandral could be covered instead. An entry on Elves (including Malekith) in the vein of the TAA handbook's entry on Trolls could be done. (Quick question: How do I make paragraph breaks here? I keep hitting "enter" and nothing happens.)

Eduardo M.
11-13-2013, 08:24 AM
I have the same problem as skippcomet. Nothing happens when I hit enter

Craig Reade
11-13-2013, 08:51 AM
It is a known issue with Internet Explorer 10, Windows 8, and this version of vBulletin. The only fix I can offer at this time is to suggest using a different browser. Once there is a fix available, I'll upload it.

You might also try looking at the site in "Compatibility View"

In the future, I would direct your technical issues to the Site Feedback forum, so I am sure to see them!

Eduardo M.
11-13-2013, 05:03 PM

Craig Reade wrote:

It is a known issue with Internet Explorer 10, Windows 8, and this version of vBulletin. The only fix I can offer at this time is to suggest using a different browser. Once there is a fix available, I'll upload it.

You might also try looking at the site in "Compatibility View"

In the future, I would direct your technical issues to the Site Feedback forum, so I am sure to see them!

"Compatibility View" works.

Anyway, here are my picks for a Thor Handbook to tie-in to the movie.

Cul the Serpent
Dark Elves
Fandral the Dashing
Fenris Wolf
Hogun the Grim
Keith Kincaid
Kurse
Loki (update)
Odin (update)
Ragnarok (aka Thor Disassembled)
Shatterfist
Sif (update)
Thor (update)

Andy E. Nystrom
11-13-2013, 08:14 PM
Aside from people already mentioned:

That character in the first end-credits sequence (1/2 page update) (there are three end-credit bits total, one in the middle, two shorter ones at the end)
Donald Blake (since he's sometimes been separate)
Geirrodur
Master Menace
Mjolnir
Recorder
Troll (Gunna Sijurvald)

Angelicknight
11-14-2013, 01:03 PM
Skadihr (Helen Gable) from the Warriors Three limited series and her weapon the Narangan Blade.

skippcomet
11-16-2013, 10:53 PM
Okay, thanks for the info, Mr. Reade. And thanks to those who've made suggestions! If I may contribute further: From the "Never Been Kissed in the 2000's" department, we could also add: Executioner/Skurge (I'm really surprised he hasn't been covered yet!), Ulik, Mongoose, Frey, Idunn and her Golden Apples (that didn't sound dirty until I typed it, but they *are* of great importance to the Asgardians), Sigyn, Hoder, Volla, the Possesor (Kamo Tharnn), and Mercurio the 4-D Man. (Frey through Volla all received quarter-page entries in the Deluxe Edition's entry on Asgardians, but then so did Heimdall, Tyr, Frigga, and Vidar, so the worst they could get is half-page entries.) One could give entries to alien races like the Korbinites (Beta Ray Bill's people), the Levians, the Centurii, the Ergon, the Rhunians, the Sssth, the Taurians, or the Vrellnexians. For alternate reality-based entries, you could include Woden (son of Thor and Sif from the 31st century of Earth-691) or Thunderstrike (Kevin Masterson) from Earth-982, aka MC2. Korg of the Warbound, although technically a Hulk-centric character, identified himself as part of the Kronan party who faced Thor, so he might be able to be covered. There's also any member of the Squadron Supreme who's met and fought with/alongside Thor (the most recent examples being during their extended stay on Earth-616, particularly their appearances during Kurt Busiek's time as writer on the Avengers, including Dr. Spectrum, Whizzer, Skylark, Shape, Moonglow/Arcanna, and Haywire [who also served with Thor and other Avengers in the Avengers: Celestial Quest miniseries]), as well as those members of the Marauders who faced Thor in the Morlocks' tunnels during the Mutant Massacre. Also, the individual members of the Wrecking Crew (Wrecker/Dirk Garthwaite, Bulldozer/Henry Camp, Piledriver/Phillip Calluskey, Thunderball/Elliot Franklin) could be individually covered. Igron or Casiolena, as Asgardian sorcerer and sorceress, perhaps? There's also the Casket of Ancient Winters and even the mystic metal Uru. Events that could be covered include Fear Itself and the Mutant Massacre (since Thor participated). And that's not even getting into any characters including villains who faced not just Thor but also both Thunderstrikes (Eric and Kevin), Beta Ray Bill, Thor with the Avengers, any team-ups between Thor and (insert your character here), and even Thor with the Avengers Unity Squad in Uncanny Avengers (hello, Apocalypse Twins!).

Eduardo M.
11-17-2013, 04:39 PM

skippcomet wrote:

Okay, thanks for the info, Mr. Reade. And thanks to those who've made suggestions! If I may contribute further: From the "Never Been Kissed in the 2000's" department, we could also add: Executioner/Skurge (I'm really surprised he hasn't been covered yet!), Ulik, Mongoose, Frey, Idunn and her Golden Apples (that didn't sound dirty until I typed it, but they *are* of great importance to the Asgardians), Sigyn, Hoder, Volla, the Possesor (Kamo Tharnn), and Mercurio the 4-D Man. (Frey through Volla all received quarter-page entries in the Deluxe Edition's entry on Asgardians, but then so did Heimdall, Tyr, Frigga, and Vidar, so the worst they could get is half-page entries.) One could give entries to alien races like the Korbinites (Beta Ray Bill's people), the Levians, the Centurii, the Ergon, the Rhunians, the Sssth, the Taurians, or the Vrellnexians. For alternate reality-based entries, you could include Woden (son of Thor and Sif from the 31st century of Earth-691) or Thunderstrike (Kevin Masterson) from Earth-982, aka MC2. Korg of the Warbound, although technically a Hulk-centric character, identified himself as part of the Kronan party who faced Thor, so he might be able to be covered. There's also any member of the Squadron Supreme who's met and fought with/alongside Thor (the most recent examples being during their extended stay on Earth-616, particularly their appearances during Kurt Busiek's time as writer on the Avengers, including Dr. Spectrum, Whizzer, Skylark, Shape, Moonglow/Arcanna, and Haywire [who also served with Thor and other Avengers in the Avengers: Celestial Quest miniseries]), as well as those members of the Marauders who faced Thor in the Morlocks' tunnels during the Mutant Massacre. Also, the individual members of the Wrecking Crew (Wrecker/Dirk Garthwaite, Bulldozer/Henry Camp, Piledriver/Phillip Calluskey, Thunderball/Elliot Franklin) could be individually covered. Igron or Casiolena, as Asgardian sorcerer and sorceress, perhaps? There's also the Casket of Ancient Winters and even the mystic metal Uru. Events that could be covered include Fear Itself and the Mutant Massacre (since Thor participated). And that's not even getting into any characters including villains who faced not just Thor but also both Thunderstrikes (Eric and Kevin), Beta Ray Bill, Thor with the Avengers, any team-ups between Thor and (insert your character here), and even Thor with the Avengers Unity Squad in Uncanny Avengers (hello, Apocalypse Twins!).

Nice list. I should point out the Mutant Massacre was covered in the Blockbusters of the Marvel Universe

skippcomet
11-23-2013, 02:48 AM

Eduardo M. wrote:

Nice list. I should point out the Mutant Massacre was covered in the Blockbusters of the Marvel Universe

I forgot about that! How about the Trojan War, since Thor was sent back in time to it?

My photostream (over 7.5 million photos!)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24917258@N05/

Board footera