Who Watches the Watchers - Forum for the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe & Similar Works 20 YEARS! 2004-2024

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/26/2024 7:42 am  #211

Re: Things people keep getting wrong (Round 2) redux

Incorrect: The disaffected Viet Nam soldiers Thor fought were the Credit Card Soldiers
Truth: They were the Green Liberation Front.

This error was common in the original Marvel superheroes Role-Playing. it's an understandable error because their armor could be miniaturized into a credit card size and shape and Thor #357 was titled "A New Deal from an Old Deck, or the Credit Card Soldiers". However the name does not appear to have ever been used in story, as fun as it would be to have one of them say, "Credit Card Soldiers... charge!"

My photostream (over 7.5 million photos!)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24917258@N05/

4/14/2024 9:25 am  #212

In the category of Things people finally got right, the following has been added to Fandom's TRN page: "Please note that TRNs are entirely unofficial designations, and should not be used outside the Marvel Database."

4/15/2024 5:51 am  #213

zuckyd1 wrote:

In the category of Things people finally got right, the following has been added to Fandom's TRN page: "Please note that TRNs are entirely unofficial designations, and should not be used outside the Marvel Database."

About time. 

4/15/2024 6:04 am  #214

A really specific one:
False: In Captain Britain and MI:13, when Doctor Doom and Dracula met, Doom mentioned he had studied under one of Dracula's greatest foes. This is Doom revealing he studied under Abraham van Helsing.
Truth: Doom did mention being a student of one of Dracula's greatest foes. However, this is a reference to Doom studying sorcery under Cagliostro, not a reference to studying under/working with/meeting van Helsing.

How do I know for sure? Because while writing CB&MI13 Paul Cornell occasionally asked the handbook writers some questions so he could ensure his continuity was on point. Understand that Paul's own grasp was pretty darned good, but he was diligent enough to double check things. Having met him at a few British cons, I was Paul's point of contact on the handbooks, so the queries were sent through me. One of the queries regarded checking what personal history Drac and Doom had, so the state of their personal relationship could be correctly displayed. Surprisingly, given the geographic proximity of Latveria and Transylvania, they'd never actually met on panel, but we did tell Paul that Doom had studied under Cagliostro, and that Cagliostro had clashed with Dracula. How can I be sure that the reference in the comic originated from that e-mail discussion? In the same conversation in the comic Dracula disparagingly mentions Doom's lesser titles - Baron of Krozi, etc. - and that full list of titles had been included in the same e-mail exchange with Paul. 

Board footera