Who Watches the Watchers - Forum for the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe & Similar Works 20 YEARS! 2004-2024

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/23/2020 7:28 am  #1

Multiversal Kevin Bacon - Anthologies/Similar Works Edition

Here's a variant I thought people might like since it's a way to connect characters who otherwise could not be connected (because they're self-contained), though you don't have to use such characters.

Same rules as the main thread *except* the connection is different stories in the same comic/show/etc. For example you could link Web Woman to Joker's Daughter by saying that Web Woman and Batman had stories in Tarzan and the Super 7, and Batman and Joker's Daughter appeared in separate stories in Batman Family.

Specific scenarios:
Characters can share the same story as long as you're not using that as the link. So if Batman appears in the same Joker's Daughter story, that's fine as long as you pick another story in the same comic etc for Batman.

Must be distinct stories, not just parallel threads at the top and bottom of a comic.

The two stories cannot share the same lead unless it's impossible to do the link otherwise. Usually that means that the to or from character has made very limited appearances.

Prints ads are okay as long as they tell a distinct story (like a superhero thwarting villains with confectioneries or rich kids selling magazines in their neighborhood). A character telling readers to subscribe don't count. Commercials are normally not allowed (too much variation by region, span too many shows, hard to verify). However, as long as it isn't abused, and as long as they tell a story, I'll allow them as DVD bonus features or part of commercial anthology DVDs.

Shorts (15 minutes or less) also count in the same way as commercials.

DVD sets are okay, BUT you can't use the exact same movie or TV series across multiple sets, even if it's a different episode. But if, say Christopher Lee's Dracula appears in one movie in one set and another movie in another set that's fine; just make sure they aren't the same movie another a different name.

No trailers or encyclopedia entries. However, a preview that tells a completely different story is okay. So for DC Comics Presents #26, the lead Superman/Green Lantern story, the Whatever Happened To story, and the New Teen Titans preview story all count, because the Titans story wasn't a segment of the same story as New Teen Titans #1.

For material with a host, you can't use the host segments as a link. So most episodes of Mystery Science Theater 3000 wouldn't count, but for ones where they spoof a short and then a feature, you could link the short and the feature.

Reprints okay, but the same rule about not using stories with the same feature character apply. Reprints from history books about comics okay, as long as there are at least two *complete* stories with different lead characters that you can connect to.

You can't use the exact same title more than once. For example, multiple episodes of MST3K have General Hospital stories; you can't use General Hospital characters as a way to link two different episodes of MST3K.

To start (I'm sure Loki and zuckyd can come up with more obscure examples, but this will help get things started):
Rex Ruthless to Starman (Prince Gavyn)

Last edited by Andy E. Nystrom (4/15/2020 6:47 am)

My photostream (over 7.5 million photos!)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24917258@N05/

3/23/2020 10:52 am  #2

Re: Multiversal Kevin Bacon - Anthologies/Similar Works Edition

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

Here's a variant I thought people might like since it's a way to connect characters who otherwise could not be connected (because they're self-contained), though you don't have to use such characters.

Same rules as the main thread *except* the connection is different stories in the same comic/show/etc. For example you could link Web Woman to Joker's Daughter by saying that Web Woman and Batman had stories in Tarzan and the Super 7, and Batman and Joker's Daughter appeared in separate stories in Batman Family.

Specific scenarios:
Characters can share the same story as long as you're not using that as the link. So if Batman appears in the same Joker's Daughter story, that's fine as long as you pick another story in the same comic etc for Batman.

Must be distinct stories, not just parallel threads at the top and bottom of a comic.

The two stories cannot share the same lead unless it's impossible to do the link otherwise. Usually that means that the to or from character has made very limited appearances.

Prints ads are okay as long as they tell a distinct story (like a superhero thwarting villains with confectioneries or rich kids selling magazines in their neighborhood). A character telling readers to subscribe don't count. Commercials are normally not allowed (too much variation by region, span too many shows, hard to verify). However, as long as it isn't abused, and as long as they tell a story, I'll allow them as DVD bonus features or part of commercial anthology DVDs.

Shorts (15 minutes or less) also count in the same way as commercials, but DVD sets with multiple features don't. Put away those 100 movie sets; they won't help you!

No trailers or encyclopedia entries. However, a preview that tells a completely different story is okay. So for DC Comics Presents #26, the lead Superman/Green Lantern story, the Whatever Happened To story, and the New Teen Titans preview story all count, because the Titans story wasn't a segment of the same story as New Teen Titans #1.

For material with a host, you can't use the host segments as a link. So most episodes of Mystery Science Theater 3000 wouldn't count, but for ones where they spoof a short and then a feature, you could link the short and the feature.

Reprints okay, but the same rule about not using stories with the same feature character apply.

You can't use the exact same title more than once. For example, multiple episodes of MST3K have General Hospital stories; you can't use General Hospital characters as a way to link two different episodes of MST3K.

To start (I'm sure Loki and zuckyd can come up with more obscure examples, but this will help get things started):
Rex Ruthless to Starman (Prince Gavyn)

Do you mean this Rex Ruthless

or this one
 from Ninja High School, or this one

from What The..!?
I'm guessing the first, since he's the best known (albeit still pretty obscure). In which case:
Rex appeared in the Hero High segments of The Kid Super Power Hour with Shazam, and as the title suggests, Shazam/Captain Marvel appeared in the other segment.
Shazam and Deadman both appear in Action Comics Weekly #625
Deadman and Aquaman are both in Adventure Comics #6 (G.K. Murray Australian reprint)
Aquaman and Gavyn are both in Adventure Comics #475 (DC version)

3/23/2020 12:34 pm  #3

Loki wrote:

I'm guessing the first, since he's the best known (albeit still pretty obscure). In which case:
Rex appeared in the Hero High segments of The Kid Super Power Hour with Shazam, and as the title suggests, Shazam/Captain Marvel appeared in the other segment.
Shazam and Deadman both appear in Action Comics Weekly #625
Deadman and Aquaman are both in Adventure Comics #6 (G.K. Murray Australian reprint)
Aquaman and Gavyn are both in Adventure Comics #475 (DC version)

Yes, I meant the first. Too much bad Saturday morning TV got burned into my brain in the 1980s. There's actually a way to reduce the number of steps by one.

3/29/2020 7:59 am  #4

My three-step answer to the above tomorrow if no one guesses it sooner.

3/30/2020 5:10 am  #5

Okay, here's my answer:
Kid Super Power Hour with Shazam! (all episodes): Rex Ruthless appeared in the Hero High (and live action) segments while Captain Marvel appeared in the Shazam! segments

World's Finest Comics #273: Captain Marvel starred in the Shazam! feature while Plastic Man starred in his own feature.

Adventure Comics starting with #467: Plastic Man starred in his own feature as did Starman

New one:
Jack T. Chance to Black Bolt

Added a note to the first post about history books on comics that will hopefully make it easier to connect characters from different companies.

4/05/2020 1:57 pm  #6

My answer to the new one tomorrow. After that you can still see if you can come up with an answer in fewer movies.

4/05/2020 2:40 pm  #7

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

New one:
Jack T. Chance to Black Bolt

Jack T. Chance appears in Superman Giant #11 in Revenge of the Green Lanterns; Batman appears in the same issue in The Supergirl from Krypton.
Batman appears in Smash! #36 (his strip is on the cover), while Thor makes an appearance in the Incredible Hulk strip within. 
Thor appears in the first story of Thor #146, while Black Bolt appears in the second story of that issue.

4/05/2020 3:00 pm  #8

Okay, that's fewer moves than what I had, so that beats the answer I would have given tomorrow, which was:

Jack T. Chance starred in his own feature in Green Lantern Quarterly #1 (and later issues) as did Green Lantern (Alan Scott)
Green Lantern and Captain America both had their origins reprinted in The Great Comic Book Heroes
Tales of Suspense #60 (and later issues): Captain America appeared in his own feature, while Black Widow appeared in the Iron Man feature
Starting with #1, Black Widow shared Amazing Adventures with the Inhumans including Black Bolt

Note: The Captain Marvel story is highly condensed and cannot be used. The other stories however are complete and can count. For people who don't have the book, it was later reprinted itself without the comics reprints. If you can find the original 1965 version, it's worth it to get that version.

Last edited by Andy E. Nystrom (4/05/2020 3:11 pm)

4/14/2020 5:24 pm  #9

New one: Funky Phantom to Star Hawkins

4/15/2020 12:45 am  #10

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

New one: Funky Phantom to Star Hawkins

Funky Phantom appears in the second story in Black Lightning/Hong Kong Phooey Special; Black Lightning appears in the first.
Black Lightning appears in the Batman and the Outsiders segment of DC Sampler #1; Supergirl appears in her own later segment.
Supergirl appears in the first story in DC Comics Presents #33; Star Hawkins appears in the second.

4/15/2020 6:38 am  #11

That was the same number of steps as my own answer, which I realize now breaks one of my own rules:
Funky Phantom and Batman both are in Saturday Morning Cartoons 1970s Volume 1 (this is where I screwed up on the DVD rule)
Batman and Superman have separate features in most early issues of World's Finest
Superman and Star then lead to the same DCCP issue

Actually, I think I'll modify the DVD rule, not just because nof my failing memory but because I'm curious to see what people come up with.

New version:
DVD sets are okay, BUT you can't use the exact same movie or TV series across multiple sets, even if it's a different episode. But if, say Christopher Lee's Dracula appears in one movie in one set and another movie in another set that's fine; just make sure they aren't the same movie another a different name.

Last edited by Andy E. Nystrom (4/15/2020 6:47 am)

Board footera