Who Watches the Watchers - Forum for the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe & Similar Works 20 YEARS! 2004-2024

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/30/2021 6:11 pm  #31

Re: General speculative fiction trivia

12. Krypton?

It's funny: I've read all of the original run of Sandman but little has stuck with me whereas details on more average written works have.

My photostream (over 7.5 million photos!)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24917258@N05/

7/31/2021 2:16 am  #32

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

12. Krypton?

It's funny: I've read all of the original run of Sandman but little has stuck with me whereas details on more average written works have.

Yes. In Sandman#48, though it's not explicitly named, you are informed that they were "somewhere a long way from here" (presumably Earth), with different constellations that match any seen from Earth. And if you look at their clothing and background:

you can see that it is Krypton - compare with the crystalline depiction of that planet from Superman: The Movie:

and the headbands and capes worn by pre-Crisis Kryptonians:

And when you think about it, the location makes a lot of sense - of course Death and Destruction would be on a planet just as it is about to explode and take out most of its population. 

7/31/2021 5:10 am  #33

Loki wrote:

14 - right movie, but that's not the name of the planet. Though for a bonus point, what is the movie an adaptation of?

Shakespeare's The Tempest

7/31/2021 6:55 am  #34

zuckyd1 wrote:

Loki wrote:

14 - right movie, but that's not the name of the planet. Though for a bonus point, what is the movie an adaptation of?

Shakespeare's The Tempest

Correct. Change an island for a planet, a sorcerer for a scientist, and a beast man (Caliban) for a robot (Robby), and you turn The Tempest into Forbidden Planet.

There's a brilliant musical stage play called Return to the Forbidden Planet that makes this even more obvious, mixing Shakespearance dialogue, the SF elements of the movie, and rock and roll music. Well worth checking out:

Crew on board their spaceship when the alarm briefly sounds, as it has detected the invisible and sometimes immaterial monster of the id. Crew checks, monster detected approaching, then alarm suddenly stops, no monster detected, then suddenly sounds again, monster; stops, no monster. Each time the alarm sounds, it gives beeps twice. So, is there are a monster or not?

"Two beeps, or not to beeps" queries the captain.
"That is the question." responds his subordinate.

8/05/2021 4:29 am  #35

Calling a day on the following (question 18 tweaked a little for clarity):

3. Who is the main character in the Space Quest games?
4. In the first three Police Quest games, what is the real and nicknames for the hero's love interest?
5. In the Parker Brothers Spider-Man game for the Atari 2600, what is the Green Goblin's "strategy" for preventing Spider-Man from reaching the main bomb in each building?
8. According to the Arrrowverse, what Earth does the Stargirl series take place?
9. What movie was the main focus of the final pre-Netflix episode of Mystery Science Theater 3000?
10. This fictional talk show's title refers to an Abba sing.
12. What city did Slim Goodbody live in and where was his exact base?
13. What was the original title of More Fun Comics?
17. In the Splash Mountain ride, people were warned they were headed to what location?
18. What Spinal Tap song told the story of someone leaving and then returning to their initial home?

8/05/2021 5:41 am  #36

More clues.

Loki wrote:

Clues:

Loki wrote:

Location, location, location. Answers may come from comics, books, movies, TV shows, and more!

2. What magical realm is the same general geographic shape as Florida?

From a very long-running series of fantasy novels.

The novels in question are humorous, with a heavy reliance on puns. People from the real world who visit this magical realm are said to come from Mundania.

Loki wrote:

Loki wrote:

3. On which world might you encounter Ged, a.k.a. Sparrowhawk?

From a short but very acclaimed series of fantasy novels (and one very bad SF Channel mini-series adaptation).

Also adapted (very, very loosely) into an anime movie by Studio Ghibli.

Loki wrote:

Loki wrote:

4. What fantasy world is home to the Empire of the Petal Throne?

From tabletop rpg.

Not sure it will help much, but it was a 1970s RPG, one of the very first after Dungeons and Dragons.

Loki wrote:

Loki wrote:

5. If you cross the multiverse to the one true world you might be able to walk the Pattern. But what is the name of that one true world?

From a series of fantasy novels.

It'd be considered modern fantasy, as in some realities the characters visit you have cars and guns. The Pattern is at the end of the multiverse that represents Order; the other end is Chaos.

Loki wrote:

Loki wrote:

6. What planet are Crashlanders residents of?

From a series of SF stories, though only one novel in the series is set there iirc.

Humanity originally settled worlds using slower-than-light sleeper ships, sent to where probes had detected habitable planets. Trouble is, those probes were happy if they found even a tiny patch that was habitable on an otherwise utterly inhospitable planet, and colonists had no way to leave once they arrived, forcing them to find some way to survive on these unsuitable worlds. The original Crashlanders were called that because they literally crashlanded on their world; the world is a named with a three words phrase in ironic recognition that they survived to get there.

Loki wrote:

Loki wrote:

7. Where are you if your neighbor keeps shouting "Yngvi is a louse!" every hour? I'll accept the general world, though bonus points if you can narrow it down.

From an older set of fantasy stories.

The stories are some of the first multiversal travel fictions, and the world in question is the first they visited, and not unique to this series.

Loki wrote:

Loki wrote:

8. Kelewan invaded what other world?

From a series of fantasy novels, the first one being most focused on said invasion.

Kelewan is based on an east Asian template, while the world they invaded is much more standard Western fantasy-styled. 

Loki wrote:

Loki wrote:

9. The floating island of Klarn was part of what larger realm?

From comics.

From Marvel Comics.

Loki wrote:

Loki wrote:

10. What's another name for the planet Malacandra?

From a set of acclaimed SF novels, though the writer in question is more widely remembered for his fantasy series.

It's a real planet.

Loki wrote:

Loki wrote:

11. On what alien world might you visit the Leisure Hive?

From a long running TV series, though the location mentioned only features in a tiny portion of said show.

From Doctor Who - heck, I'll narrow it further, from the fourth Doctor era.

Loki wrote:

Loki wrote:

13. On which world did a human archaeological dig uncover the Shadows?

From a SF tv series.

"The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."

Loki wrote:

Loki wrote:

14. On which planet might you meet Robby the Robot?

From a movie.

Already identified as Forbidden Planet. The planet is named using star system and position from its sun, the same way Earth is sometimes called Sol III, and the star in question is genuine one, also mentioned in Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and Star Trek; in the former it's mentioned in terms of money, and in the latter the Enterprise nearly visits sister planets to the one you want on more than one occasion across both series and movies.

Loki wrote:

Loki wrote:

15. Where did around 36 billion humans from across history all suddenly wake up simultaneously resurrected?

From a SF book series.

The author is also known for the Wold Newton concept. The books have had some ridiculously bad SciFi Channel adaptations.

8/05/2021 5:51 am  #37

2. MythAdventures?
3. Earthsea?
9. Weirdworld?
10. Earth?
15. Riverworld

8/05/2021 6:08 am  #38

2. Xanth?

8/05/2021 6:33 am  #39

zuckyd1 wrote:

2. MythAdventures?
3. Earthsea?
9. Weirdworld?
10. Earth?
15. Riverworld

3, 9 and 15 are correct. 10 is the right solar system but wrong planet.
3 Sparrowhawk is the lead character in A Wizard of Earthsea, and a main character in the subsequent novels. 
9 Klarn is the floating island where the elves of Weirdworld originate. 
15 Philip Jose Farmer's Riverworld series of novels, beginning with To Your Scattered Bodies Go, had the premise that all of humanity, everyone who had been born and died, finds themselves simultaneously resurrected, waking up in a giant valley along the side of a massive river, and trying to find out the who, why and how they were resurrected.

8/05/2021 6:35 am  #40

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

2. Xanth?

Correct. Piers Anthony's Xanth is the shape of real world Florida. 

8/05/2021 6:43 am  #41

10. Mars

8/05/2021 7:38 am  #42

zuckyd1 wrote:

10. Mars

Correct. From C.S. Lewis' Space Trilogy. 

8/05/2021 8:07 am  #43

For a while I used to be really into Piers Anthony's novels and read all the Xanth books of the time, but eventually his repeated exploration of teenage girl sexuality (including in the Xanth novels) caused me to stop reading his work, despite his excellent writing skills.

8/06/2021 4:05 am  #44

Remaining answers for my questions. BTW if this goes beyond the original intent of the thread I can create a separate General thread. I just needed a spot where I could do catch-all quizzes.

3. Who is the main character in the Space Quest games?
Roger Wilco

4. In the first three Police Quest games, what is the real and nicknames for the hero's love interest?
Marie Wilkins (Sweet Cheeks Marie)

5. In the Parker Brothers Spider-Man game for the Atari 2600, what is the Green Goblin's "strategy" for preventing Spider-Man from reaching the main bomb in each building?
Flying back and forth near the bomb. If the Goblin or his glider touches Spider-Man or his webbing, Spider-Man starts to fall until he can shoot a new web.

8. According to the Arrrowverse, what Earth does the Stargirl series take place?
Post-Crisis Earth-2

9. What movie was the main focus of the final pre-Netflix episode of Mystery Science Theater 3000?
Danger: Diabolik

10. This fictional talk show's title refers to an Abba sing.
Knowing Me, Knowing You with Alan Partridge
First episode:https://www.dailymotion.com/video/xz2f1

12. What city did Slim Goodbody live in and where was his exact base?
Nutri-City; Body Control

13. What was the original title of More Fun Comics?
New Fun Comics

17. In the Splash Mountain ride, people were warned they were headed to what location?
The Laughing Place.

18. What Spinal Tap song told the story of someone leaving and then returning to their initial home?
Hell Hole
Here is the music video version of the latter:

8/06/2021 4:59 am  #45

!. What computer game main character is a lounge lizard (give nickname and real name)?
2. Which villain in the Destroyer series is an android, and what is his catch-phrase?
3. According to a Paranoia RPG adventure, vapors don't what?
4. In the Palladium RPG, what sort of Occupational Character Class automatically makes a player evil?
5. Who gave the Super Globetrotters their missions?
6. This animated special's theme song has a rather romantic sounding theme song about siblings
7. Who played Diaper Man in Citizen Toxie: The Toxic Avenger IV?
8. In which computer game series must the hero face Cyber-Demons, and what do they shoot at the hero?
9. Who is the only female member of the Metric Marvels?
10. Who is the most prominent female writer in the Wild Cards series?
11. What planet did Sam Weskit visit?
12. Who was, depending on how you look at it, either a Mighty Mouse prototype or Mighty Mouse in an earlier identity?
13. In the novel Who Censored Roger Rabbit, who killed Jessica Rabbit? Use spoiler tags in your answer.
14. Who were the five main characters in the original Clone High series?
15. In The Game of Life, how many children can players comfortably fit in their cars?
16. For what movie can you hear the movie played in the audio of the aliens instead of English on DVD, and what is the alien language?
17. Who is the most prominent future reality Thor in Marvel comics?
18. What is the name of Ambush Bug's adventure for the original DC Heroes RPG?
19. Which Archie digest series asked a question?
20. Who avenged 711 after his murder?

8/06/2021 5:01 am  #46

Loki's 4. Long shot, but this is the only other RPG I know about that could have started in the 1970s: the Fighting Fantasy world?

8/06/2021 5:24 am  #47

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

!. What computer game main character is a lounge lizard (give nickname and real name)?

1. Leisure Suit Larry

8/06/2021 5:41 am  #48

1 is correct so far; that just leaves his real name.

8/06/2021 6:28 am  #49

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

Loki's 4. Long shot, but this is the only other RPG I know about that could have started in the 1970s: the Fighting Fantasy world?

Nope, sorry. There were actually a good few Fantasy RPGs in the 1970s - apart from D&D, the major ones were Runequest, Chivalry and Sorcery, and Tunnels and Trolls - but the one in question predates all bar D&D.

8/06/2021 6:33 am  #50

2 Mr Gordons
3 Vapors Don't Shoot Back
10 Melinda Snodgrass
17 Dargo Ktor

8/06/2021 6:38 am  #51

2 is correct so far, so just need his catchphrase. The rest are correct as well.

8/12/2021 6:03 pm  #52

Meant to call a day sooner so will give until tmw eve Pacific:
!. What computer game main character is a lounge lizard (give nickname [Leisure Suit Larry] and real name)?
2. Which villain in the Destroyer series is an android [Mr. Gordons], and what is his catch-phrase?
4. In the Palladium RPG, what sort of Occupational Character Class automatically makes a player evil?
6. This animated special's theme song has a rather romantic sounding theme song about siblings
8. In which computer game series must the hero face Cyber-Demons, and what do they shoot at the hero?
12. Who was, depending on how you look at it, either a Mighty Mouse prototype or Mighty Mouse in an earlier identity?
13. In the novel Who Censored Roger Rabbit, who killed Jessica Rabbit? Use spoiler tags in your answer.
15. In The Game of Life, how many children can players comfortably fit in their cars?
16. For what movie can you hear the movie played in the audio of the aliens instead of English on DVD, and what is the alien language?

8/13/2021 6:22 pm  #53

Remaining answers:
1. What computer game main character is a lounge lizard (give nickname [Leisure Suit Larry] and real name)?
Larry Laffer

2. Which villain in the Destroyer series is an android [Mr. Gordons], and what is his catch-phrase?
"Hello is all right."

Witch. I disagree with this concept for two reasons: There were plenty of good witches in popular culture when the game was introduced in 1983, and witches are tied to a real life religion (wiccan). Palladium's a good game but that's a serious flaw.

The Crime Globe

He-Man/She-Ra: The Secret of the Sword. Watch this and try to tell me the song is about sibling love:

Trent Haaga

Doom; rockets

Wonder Gram

Framingham (novel: Sam Weskit on the Planet Framingham]

Supermouse

Roger Rabbit. When I saw that the movie was going to be called Who Framed Roger Rabbit, I knew that liberties with the source material were going to be taken.

Abe Lincoln, Cleopatra, JFK, Joan of Arc, Ganddhi

Four; there are six slots for pegs, but one is for the player character and one is for their spouse.

Galaxy Quest; Thermian

Don't Ask

Archie... Archie Andrews, Where are You?

Destiny

8/13/2021 6:59 pm  #54

1. Which science fiction writer wrote a novel series that, as planned, ran ten volumes?
2. Which Paranoia RPG adventure was a western.
3. Who said the following (and what was the context)?: "May I make a suggestion? You can all... eat lead and die!"
4. With SPECTRE unavailable due a licensing snag, what organization mostly replaced it in the James Bond RPG?
5. What is the code name and real name of the main villain of the games Police Quest 1-2?
6. Prior to the first issue in comic book form, which series first debuted in a story made entirely of trading cards?
7. Who played the Doctor in the non-canonical big screen movie?
8. Who played Catwoman in Batman: The Movie?
9. What novel and subsequent movie was about a dinosaur PI?
10. For what series and character was it intended (but not revealed on screen) that a character's final appearances were actually an imposter?
11. This puzzle toy was sentient in their own cartoon series.
12. One movie had this dialogue: "Do you know why you lost the war? You got greedy?" Which movie, who is speaking to whom, and which war is being alluded to?
13. What rather distracting naming error appears throughout Marv Wolfman's novelization of Crisis on Infinite Earths?
14. Which book by which author has a vampire commenting that he can't reflect and thus always cuts himself shaving?
15. Where can you find this declaration: "Something's rotten in the state of Denmark, and Hamlet's taking out the trash!"
16.Where does a teacher have a breakdown and starts teaching his class at gunpoint?
17. Whose favourite show is Psycho Dad?
18. Who is the Winky Man?
19. What's the context for the following?: "I'll just nip off and shoot myself. Don't worry, sir, I'll be very humane."
20. Who decided to sit on the bride's side at a wedding because he had tried to kill the groom a few times?

8/14/2021 5:14 am  #55

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

1. Which science fiction writer wrote a novel series that, as planned, ran ten volumes?
7. Who played the Doctor in the non-canonical big screen movie?
9. What novel and subsequent movie was about a dinosaur PI?
11. This puzzle toy was sentient in their own cartoon series.
15. Where can you find this declaration: "Something's rotten in the state of Denmark, and Hamlet's taking out the trash!"
19. What's the context for the following?: "I'll just nip off and shoot myself. Don't worry, sir, I'll be very humane."

1. L. Ron Hubbard?
7. Peter Cushing
9. Theodore Rex?
11. Rubik's Cube?
15. Last Action Hero?
19. Milliways?

8/14/2021 5:23 am  #56

1 and 7 are correct.
9 is incorrect. I just looked Theodore Rex up and it wasn't based on a novel and the character was a police detective rather than a PI>
11 is correct (the show was Rubik the Amazing Cube.
15 is correct.
19 is correct so far, but could you expand on this a bit more?

8/14/2021 5:45 am  #57

2 Don't Take Your Laser to Town
4 TAROT
6 Mars Attacks?
8 Lee Meriwether
14 Bloodlist by PN Elrod?
18 Paul Same
19 It's the Dish of the Day, a creature bred so that it wants to be eaten.

8/14/2021 5:57 am  #58

2 and 4 are correct.
6. is incorrect. The Mars Attacks cards where originally intended to be their own thing IIRC whereas these cards were always intended to launch the series and be assembled into a comic.
8 is correct.
14: not to my knowledge, though I haven't read that one. Just to narrow down possible other such uses, the author I'm thinking of is someone who is probably well known to everyone on this forum.
18-19 is correct.

8/14/2021 9:53 am  #59

Last clues for the remaining, Answers tomorrow otherwise.

Loki wrote:

Location, location, location. Answers may come from comics, books, movies, TV shows, and more!
4. What fantasy world is home to the Empire of the Petal Throne?
From tabletop rpg. Not sure it will help much, but it was a 1970s RPG, one of the very first after Dungeons and Dragons.

Originally self-published in 1974, then republished by TSR, the company responsible for D&D a year later. In 2005 Guardians of Order reprinted it. 

Loki wrote:

​5. If you cross the multiverse to the one true world you might be able to walk the Pattern. But what is the name of that one true world? From a series of fantasy novels. It'd be considered modern fantasy, as in some realities the characters visit you have cars and guns. The Pattern is at the end of the multiverse that represents Order; the other end is Chaos.

The kingdom/world in question had nine princes. The same author wrote Last Defender of Camelot and Damnation Alley, and was one of the founding writers of the Wild Cards series.

Loki wrote:

6. What planet are Crashlanders residents of? From a series of SF stories, though only one novel in the series is set there iirc. Humanity originally settled worlds using slower-than-light sleeper ships, sent to where probes had detected habitable planets. Trouble is, those probes were happy if they found even a tiny patch that was habitable on an otherwise utterly inhospitable planet, and colonists had no way to leave once they arrived, forcing them to find some way to survive on these unsuitable worlds. The original Crashlanders were called that because they literally crashlanded on their world; the world is a named with a three words phrase in ironic recognition that they survived to get there.

It's in Larry Niven's Known Space. 

Loki wrote:

7. Where are you if your neighbor keeps shouting "Yngvi is a louse!" every hour? I'll accept the general world, though bonus points if you can narrow it down. From an older set of fantasy stories. The stories are some of the first multiversal travel fictions, and the world in question is the first they visited, and not unique to this series.

The first location visited in the Incomplete Enchanter stories. The travelers arrived in the middle of an historic event for this place, resulting in it being very, very cold. 

Loki wrote:

​8. Kelewan invaded what other world? From a series of fantasy novels, the first one being most focused on said invasion. Kelewan is based on an east Asian template, while the world they invaded is much more standard Western fantasy-styled.

From Raymond Feist's Magician and subsequent books in that series.

Loki wrote:

11. On what alien world might you visit the Leisure Hive? From a long running TV series, though the location mentioned only features in a tiny portion of said show. From Doctor Who - heck, I'll narrow it further, from the fourth Doctor era.

I've already narrowed the Doctor Who story right down, as The Leisure Hive is the name of the story itself, so I'll give a clue based on the planet name. If the third Doctor told one of his companions where Supergirl was from, he might inadvertently name the planet of the Leisure Hive.

Loki wrote:

13. On which world did a human archaeological dig uncover the Shadows?
From a SF tv series.
"The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."

From Babylon 5. It's also the name of an episode of the series.

Loki wrote:

​14. On which planet might you meet Robby the Robot?
From a movie.
Already identified as Forbidden Planet. The planet is named using star system and position from its sun, the same way Earth is sometimes called Sol III, and the star in question is genuine one, also mentioned in Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and Star Trek; in the former it's mentioned in terms of money, and in the latter the Enterprise nearly visits sister planets to the one you want on more than one occasion across both series and movies.

The planet shares the non-numerical part of its name with an assassin from Assassin's Creed who has one of the games in the series named after him.

8/14/2021 10:23 am  #60

5. Amber?

Board footera