Who Watches the Watchers - Forum for the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe & Similar Works

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?



1/06/2020 7:19 am  #1


What's coming in 2008

Historical text from Comixfan

Sidney Osinga

Oct 27, 2007, 08:11 pm

This thread is to speculate about what titles are coming out under the OHotMU banner. It will also give people a place to talk about what titles they'd like to see. This is not the place to talk about character entries, that is more something for the wish list thread.

Anyways, we all know that there will be a new Ultimate Universe Handbook in January, so any guess what we'll get for the rest of the year? I know the Marvel Atlas #2 will be out, and there is a good chance that we'll see an Iron Fascist...sorry, I mean Iron Man Handbook around the time the movie comes out. I also wouldn't be surprised to see one about Captain America when he is resurrected.
Madison Carter said on another thread that the Handbooks in 2008 will be different. Any guesses what he means by that? I be fine will most anything unless they turn the series into a pin-up-with-a small-box-of-info book like the Image handbooks or JLA-Z.

There has also been talk of a appendix. I don't lnow how that would work since even if the entries were only a few lines like the appendix in the original OHotMU, the book would be the size of a small TBP, at least, to cover everyone. Also, some people want theme books about the New Warriors and Thunderbolts. Personally, I don't think those would work since most of the characters from those teams have been covered in depth else where, exclude Namorita, Moonstone, Songbird, and Charcoal.




Roger Ott

Oct 27, 2007, 09:39 pm
there is a good chance that we'll see an Iron Fascist...sorry, I mean Iron Man Handbook
Wha--?! Alright, them's fightin' words!




Eduardo M.

Oct 28, 2007, 02:21 am


Sidney Osinga wrote:

Madison Carter said on another thread that the Handbooks in 2008 will be different. Any guesses what he means by that? I be fine will most anything unless they turn the series into a pin-up-with-a small-box-of-info book like the Image handbooks or JLA-Z.

I hope to God that's not case. The thing that attracted me to the Handbooks since the original back the 80s was the fact we got a sense of the history behind the characters whether they were big names like Spider-Man, Captain America, Thor, or the Fantastic Four, or lesser-knowns like Squirrel Girl, Arabian Knight, Captain Ultra, or the Band of the Bland.

If I want a pin-up I'll buy a poster book. If I'm buying something calling itself a handbook, I want some solid info.




Roger Ott

Oct 28, 2007, 04:47 am

I hope by different they mean something like new original art for the main character shots. In the interests of keeping prices down, I've had no problem with the use of existing art, but I wouldn't be opposed to new standing poses for characters.




Eric J. Moreels

Oct 28, 2007, 07:31 am


  Eduardo M. wrote:

If I want a pin-up I'll buy a poster book. If I'm buying something calling itself a handbook, I want some solid info.

Rest assured, that's what you'll continue to get from Marvel's Handbooks. No poster books here!




Eduardo M.

Oct 28, 2007, 01:04 pm


  Eric J. Moreels wrote:

Rest assured, that's what you'll continue to get from Marvel's Handbooks. No poster books here!

Thank you sir. I'm glad to know that I can count on the Handbooks being handbooks as opposed to pretty picture books with overblown price cause its got Jim Lee (or whomever) art.




Sidney Osinga

Oct 28, 2007, 04:49 pm

There could also be a new Spider-Man and/or X-men Handbook next year since, even though they've had three books each (as of December) devoted to them, there are still enough profiles to be done to make a 4th book for each (at least). Also, there could be a second Fantastic Four Handbook since there are still a lot characters connected with them that needs profiles. Plus, there could be a book for Thor since he has a new book. And maybe we'll see a tech Handbook full of Eliot R. Brown goodness :giggle:




mal32

Nov 8, 2007, 03:16 pm


Sidney Osinga wrote:

...
There has also been talk of a appendix. I don't lnow how that would work since even if the entries were only a few lines like the appendix in the original OHotMU, the book would be the size of a small TBP, at least, to cover everyone....

Hi, I live in Italy and I really love all the Marvel stuff but for me the Handbooks are the best!!!
The Appendix from www.marvunapp.com is INCREDIBLE but I was waiting for the Appendix being printed from the days Marvel talked about it in the pages of the Official Handbook Of The Marvel Universe DeLuxe Edition...
May I hope this day is come, at last?!? :cloud9:
Please, I beg you, tell me, if you can, if Marvel is really thinking to print the Appendix... please.... :hope:




Mutation

Nov 9, 2007, 06:41 pm


mal32 wrote:

The Appendix from www.marvunapp.com is INCREDIBLE but I was waiting for the Appendix being printed from the days Marvel talked about it in the pages of the Official Handbook Of The Marvel Universe DeLuxe Edition...
May I hope this day is come, at last?!? :cloud9:
Please, I beg you, tell me, if you can, if Marvel is really thinking to print the Appendix... please.... :hope:

Indeed, this would be awesome.

I also hope Marvel Legacy Vol. 2 and an All-New Book of the Dead 2008.




Andy E. Nystrom

Nov 9, 2007, 08:53 pm

mal32 wrote:

Please, I beg you, tell me, if you can, if Marvel is really thinking to print the Appendix... please.... :hope:

I suspect unfortunately that idea's time has passed for a number of reasons (to save time, when I say characters, I'm also referring to teams, settings, etc):
1. As you mention there's already an online Appendix; will people pay for something that's already online?
2. There was almost too many characters even at the time of the Deluxe Edition
3. Lots of characters have debuted since then or have least made their first post-Silver Age appearance (see also next point)
4. Unlike the Deluxe Edition, the parameters of the current Handbooks have expanded to include events, the New Universe, Hostess ads, Big Little Books, and characters last seen prior to the Silver Age.
5. Many of the characters originally announced for the Appendix have since appeared in subsequent Handbooks or likely will eventually.
6. I don't see a full book (probably multiple books) of capsule entries making a sufficient profit.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I'd buy it if it ever did come out; I just think that particular train has long since left the station.




Roger Ott

Nov 10, 2007, 01:21 am


  Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

 
1. As you mention there's already an online Appendix; will people pay for something that's already online?

Same could be said of the Handbooks, though. There are plenty of resources out here online with the same/similar information. Marvel.com is building their database as well.

Your points are all valid, by the way, but I don't think the idea has to be dead. We went over 10 years without a Handbook after the Master Edition in 1993, yet here we are now, with the longest continuous run of Handbooks ever. Anything can happen.

On a similar note, there was mention back in the Master Edition days ( I believe) of something called the Marvel Census, which I could only assume would have been a listing of every character in the Marvel Universe. That would be cool to see, as well.




Madison Carter

Nov 10, 2007, 01:45 am


Mutation wrote:

Indeed, this would be awesome.

I also hope Marvel Legacy Vol. 2 and an All-New Book of the Dead 2008.

Don't think we'll ever see another Book of the Dead. It just isn't a concept worth keeping these days. Without even going into the original and Deluxe versions, we can see where even the recent 2004 BotD has become badly dated. Of the 43 characters included in that volume, 4 have already returned to life. That doesn't sound like much now, but it's almost a tenth of the book.

But if you want to see Marvel Legacy Vol. 2, I strongly urge you to pick up a copy or two of the TPB collection that just came out.




Mutation

Nov 10, 2007, 11:52 am

You may right, first, Book of the Dead sounds useless, but it's in fact useful to know which charas were inactive for a long while (like Zuras).

When I say "Marvel Legacy Vol. 2", in fact, I mean I would like to see more Golden and Silver Ages charas (mainly like Marvel Legacy Vol. 1 #1 1960's and Marvel Legacy Vol. 1 #2 1970's).




Captain Speedbump

Nov 10, 2007, 12:09 pm


Look what I found on Amazon.com...

http://www.amazon.com/All-New-Offici...710667&sr=1-55

and one month later...

http://www.amazon.com/All-New-Offici...4710759&sr=1-7

Plus, a little extra for Essential buffs...

http://www.amazon.com/Essential-Offi...710877&sr=1-16

http://www.amazon.com/Essential-Offi...4710901&sr=1-5

2008 is gonna ROCK!!!
https://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/happy.png
https://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/happy.png
https://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/happy.png
https://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/happy.png
https://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/happy.png


Capt. Speedbump
 
Andy E. Nystrom

Nov 10, 2007, 12:31 pm


  Capt. Speedbump wrote:

Look what I found on Amazon.com...

http://www.amazon.com/All-New-Offici...710667&sr=1-55

and one month later...

http://www.amazon.com/All-New-Offici...4710759&sr=1-7

Plus, a little extra for Essential buffs...

http://www.amazon.com/Essential-Offi...710877&sr=1-16

http://www.amazon.com/Essential-Offi...4710901&sr=1-5

2008 is gonna ROCK!!!

https://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/happy.png
https://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/happy.png
https://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/happy.png
https://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/happy.png
https://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/happy.png

Capt. Speedbump

I definitely hope these come out sooner than later. One word of caution though: throughout much of the year, Amazon had up an Essential Rampaging Hulk, Essential Golden Age Marvel Comics, and Essential Golden Age Sub-Mariner for 2007. All three are enough to make a fanboy drool, but none actually came out in nor are soliticted by Marvel for 2007.

Which is not to say that these won't happen, but just to note that Amazon does jump the gun with solitications.

Assuming these goes ahead, though, definitely intrigued by the mention in the hardcover listings that listings will be updated. Also curious to see how the half-page entries will be handled if everything's in alphabetical order. I passed on the Legacy trade because I understand there wasn't any new material, but if the hardcovers have new material, I probably won't be able to resist them.




Roger Ott

Nov 10, 2007, 12:48 pm

Essential Master Edition? Yeah, I'm all over that.

I'm a bit let down by the 2004-2007 stuff coming out in hardcover, though. Hardcovers are a bit unwieldy when it comes to using them for reference. Hopefully a softcover trade is also on the horizon. I'd love an Essential of the stuff, as well.

Also, 12 volumes at 240 pages each? I didn't think there were that many individual issues to make up that many hardcovers.




Roger Ott

Nov 10, 2007, 12:58 pm


  Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

definitely intrigued by the mention in the hardcover listings that listings will be updated.

I'm not. If the solicitation copy can be believed, these are the first two of TWELVE volumes, at $29.99 each. Even taking into account a 35% discount, that's still nearly $20 per book. As much as I love the Handbooks, I'm not willing to pay that much money per volume just for updates.




Mutation

Nov 10, 2007, 12:59 pm


Essential OHOTMU Master edition 's not a 2008 stuff but it's really interesting, I can't wait to buy it to know which entries I missed when I was younger (in #1, #5, #13)... I will get an heart attack... I can't wait




mal32

Nov 10, 2007, 01:38 pm


  Roger Ott wrote:

Same could be said of the Handbooks, though. There are plenty of resources out here online with the same/similar information. Marvel.com is building their database as well.

Your points are all valid, by the way, but I don't think the idea has to be dead. We went over 10 years without a Handbook after the Master Edition in 1993, yet here we are now, with the longest continuous run of Handbooks ever. Anything can happen.

On a similar note, there was mention back in the Master Edition days ( I believe) of something called the Marvel Census, which I could only assume would have been a listing of every character in the Marvel Universe. That would be cool to see, as well.

I agree... almost everything is already online but we would buy the Marvel Appendix and the Marvel Census, if printed :cross:




Madison Carter

Nov 10, 2007, 02:20 pm


Was wondering when you guys would see that. Can't go into it just yet, but we will soon. Think you'll be pleasantly surprised.




Eduardo M.

Nov 10, 2007, 11:43 pm


I've alrteady put the stuff Amazon has listed on my wish list. I can't wait to get my hands on them.




Madison Carter

Nov 13, 2007, 02:59 am


  Roger Ott wrote:

Also, 12 volumes at 240 pages each? I didn't think there were that many individual issues to make up that many hardcovers.

There wasn't. We'll have all the details soon.

Roger Ott

Nov 13, 2007, 02:25 pm


  Madison Carter wrote:

There wasn't. We'll have all the details soon.

Ohhhh...now you have piqued my curiosity. Soon can't come...um...soon enough!




Eduardo M.

Nov 13, 2007, 02:52 pm

  Roger Ott wrote:

Ohhhh...now you have piqued my curiosity. Soon can't come...um...soon enough!

You're not kidding. My curiosity is now to the roof. I wants details NOW gosh darnit!!! I wants to know what cool stuff is coming with this handbooky-goodness!!!!!! TELL ME!!!!




ultrabasurero

Nov 19, 2007, 07:31 pm


  Roger Ott wrote:

I'm not. If the solicitation copy can be believed, these are the first two of TWELVE volumes, at $29.99 each. Even taking into account a 35% discount, that's still nearly $20 per book. As much as I love the Handbooks, I'm not willing to pay that much money per volume just for updates.

The adjusted price of $16.49 is now shown. I think I'll buy it when it comes out. These HCs will probably hold up better than the the staples in my issues.




ultrabasurero

Nov 19, 2007, 07:40 pm


Apparently, it's also been bumped up to February.




Michael Hoskin

Nov 20, 2007, 12:54 pm


And it's up at marvel.com now: http://marvel.com/catalog/?id=8227

MH




ultrabasurero

Nov 20, 2007, 01:04 pm


I couldn't find in the solicitations what the handbook for February was? Is there one for Feb.?




Eric J. Moreels

Nov 20, 2007, 05:43 pm


  ultrabasurero wrote:

I couldn't find in the solicitations what the handbook for February was? Is there one for Feb.?

See here (http://www.comixfan. com/xfan/forums/...ad.php?t=43971)!




Sidney Osinga

Nov 24, 2007, 08:07 pm


  Mutation wrote:

I also hope (for) an All-New Book of the Dead 2008.

I don't think this is a good idea since:
1. Death doesn't have mush meaning in the Marvel U. Since the Book of the Dead 2004 come out, Bucky, Hawkeye, Vision, Jean Grey, and Thor have all been resurrected.
And 2. Most of the major deceased characters have been covered. Would anyone really be interested in a book with entries for the Animen, Commander Kraken, Hammer and Advil, Porcupine, etc.?




Andy E. Nystrom

Nov 24, 2007, 10:46 pm


Sidney Osinga wrote:

Would anyone really be interested in a book with entries for the Animen, Commander Kraken, Hammer and Advil, Porcupine, etc.?

Me, though I agree with your other point.

I'm not normally one to point out typos, but I found the "Hammer and Advil" Freudian slip funny: "They'll give you a serious headache with a blow to the head, but then they'll thoughtfully take it away with the power of the tablet."




William Keogh

Nov 25, 2007, 02:24 pm


And while I'm not really one for correcting typos either, with the exception of marking papers as a T.A., I saw the other one too...

Sidney Osinga wrote:

1. Death doesn't have mush meaning in the Marvel U. Since the Book of the Dead 2004 come out, Bucky, Hawkeye, Vision, Jean Grey, and Thor have all been resurrected.

Mush meaning, Uber.geek? Shall we assume Death isn't getting lucky these days? :whistle:




Sidney Osinga

Nov 25, 2007, 04:40 pm


O.K., what I meant by "would anyone be interested in" is would people other than obsessive Handbook fans buy it. I am one, so I would, but Marvel has to consider whether casual fans would buy it. They gave the same reason for why they're probably not going to do one for supporting cast a few months back.

And as for the spelling mistakes, there is only one thing I can say: Me know spell gud.https://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/tongue.png

 


My photostream (over 5.6 million photos!)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24917258@N05/
 

Board footera

 

Powered by Boardhost. Create a Free Forum