Who Watches the Watchers - Forum for the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe & Similar Works 20 YEARS! 2004-2024

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/06/2020 8:10 pm  #1

All-New OHOTMU A-Z Update #4

Historical text from Comixfan:

Sidney Osinga

Oct 14, 2007, 04:36 pm

Well, since this book will be out in a couple of weeks, I'll restart the thread so we have a place to talk about it. Personally, I can hardly wait to get it. I'm looking forwards to the Red Skull, Mindless Ones, and golden age Marvel Boys entries, plus what ever unannouced surprises.

Eduardo M.

Oct 14, 2007, 05:54 pm

I'm looking forward to Trapster, Texas Twister, Captain Mar-Vell, the Supreme Intelligence, Shroud, Goldbug, and Man-Ape.

Sidney Osinga

Oct 24, 2007, 06:28 pm

Just came out today, Here's who's in it: Aqueduct (Water Wizard),the 2nd Arabian Knight, Atom Smasher, Blackwing :dance:, Revolutionary war Captain America, Captain Marvel, Chronok, Clan Destine, Count Abyss, Dr. Faustus, Druig, Ero, Goldbug, the current Heroes for Hire, Ladyfair, Lion God, the Lunatic Legion, Mace, Man-Ape, both golden age Marvel Boys, the Mindless Ones, Monstro, the Negative Zone, Nitro, the current Omega Flight, Pele, Arcturus Rann, Red Skull, Revanche, Ricadonna, Ruby Thursday, Shagreen, Shroud, Siege Perilous, Slayback, Randall Spector, Spymaster(s), Starhawk, Supreme Intelligence, Texas Twister, Timestream, Trapster, Unicorn, Leiko Wu, and Zaran.

I enjoyed it, as I did with the others, and I can't wait until the Marvel Atlas comes out next month. Keep up the good work.

Captain Speedbump

Oct 25, 2007, 12:37 am

I know you folks can't tell us what's coming past January, but I would like to reiterate:

The themed handbooks are great and all, but I hope the A-Z Updates continue as well. Please make more of them in the future!

Capt. Speedbump

Eduardo M.

Oct 25, 2007, 01:24 am

i picked this up as part of my regular comics and I'm still enjoying it.

Kudos on the entries for Mar-vell, the Mindless Ones, Man-Ape, Goldbug, Shroud, Nitro, Trapster, Starhawk, Texas Twister (finally was able to get an answer to my question about whether he survived the Hydra attack or not.), the Negative Zone, the Siege Perilous, Revanche, and Arcturus Rann.

I'm surprised to see that both Marvel Boys have almost the exact same name. Guess that's Golden Age writing for you.

Fans of Clan Destine should be happy now.

Nice work on the Red Skull and Faustus entries although I would have liked to seen these done after the current Cap storyline is finshed. Then again, that may be a long ways off.

Heroes for Hire AND Omega Flight. That's two Civil War inspired teams in one issue. wow!

I like teh article on Mutants on the inside front cover. Perfect appetizer for the X-Men handbook in December.

Now let's bring on the Atlas! I need a map to plan my summer vacation to Latervia and Symkaria.

Madison Carter

Oct 25, 2007, 05:42 am

Capt. Speedbump wrote:

I know you folks can't tell us what's coming past January, but I would like to reiterate:

The themed handbooks are great and all, but I hope the A-Z Updates continue as well. Please make more of them in the future!

Capt. Speedbump

Past January is going to be...different. Can't say just what yet, but it won't quite be what anyone's expecting.

Roger Ott

Oct 25, 2007, 12:47 pm

Tease! :giggle:

Andy E. Nystrom

Oct 25, 2007, 09:09 pm

Madison Carter wrote:

Past January is going to be...different. Can't say just what yet, but it won't quite be what anyone's expecting.

Maybe we finally get the Not Branch Ecch handbook.

Sidney Osinga

Oct 29, 2007, 04:29 pm

Who did the art for Slayback? And the labels for the third Bug-ship and the sumarine should be switched. And I see Alan Davis was credited for the art on Clan Destine entry. Does that mean all is forgiven?

Madison Carter

Oct 29, 2007, 05:04 pm

Sidney Osinga wrote:

Who did the art for Slayback?

No one's sure just yet. It's taken from his figure packaging, and the two main artists working on most of those at the time (Grummett, Lim) didn't do it.

Sidney Osinga wrote:

And I see Alan Davis was credited for the art on Clan Destine entry. Does that mean all is forgiven?

If we use untouched AD art, we credit it, as in this case. If there's any reconstruction to it, we don't.

William Keogh
Oct 29, 2007, 07:11 pm

Once again, outstanding issue. The profiles on Revanche, Omega Flight, Heroes For Hire, Supreme Intelligence, Shroud, the Revolutionary Captain America, Red Skull, Doctor Faustus, Ero, Ladyfair, Negative Zone, and Trapster entries were particularly good and thorough. And it's taken this long to have a Zaran entry?

DragynWulf

Oct 30, 2007, 01:19 pm

William Keogh wrote:

Once again, outstanding issue.

Glad you enjoyed it.

William Keogh wrote:

The profiles on Revanche, Omega Flight, Heroes For Hire, Supreme Intelligence, Shroud, the Revolutionary Captain America, Red Skull, Doctor Faustus, Ero, Ladyfair, Negative Zone, and Trapster entries were particularly good and thorough.

Thanks! Glad you liked the Captain America of the Revolutionary War profile, and others.

Michael Hoskin

Oct 31, 2007, 06:36 pm

William Keogh wrote:

Once again, outstanding issue. The profiles on Revanche, Omega Flight, Heroes For Hire, Supreme Intelligence, Shroud, the Revolutionary Captain America, Red Skull, Doctor Faustus, Ero, Ladyfair, Negative Zone, and Trapster entries were particularly good and thorough. And it's taken this long to have a Zaran entry?

Yes, the Zaran deficiency has finally been addressed!

I'm glad you enjoyed the book!

MH

Corey Blake

Nov 4, 2007, 01:17 am

The Slayback art I assume would be by Joe Madureira since he was the artist on the Deadpool: The Circle Chase mini-series where the character first appeared.

Could be wrong though. I can't dig out the issue to check.

Thanks for the Aqueduct entry!

Corey Blake

Nov 4, 2007, 01:22 am

Oh yeah and when are the bibliographies usually added at marvel.com? I thought they would be there for this issue by now.

Great work to everyone involved in these, by the way!

Madison Carter

Nov 4, 2007, 03:46 am

Corey Blake wrote:

The Slayback art I assume would be by Joe Madureira since he was the artist on the Deadpool: The Circle Chase mini-series where the character first appeared.

Nope, like I stated previously, it wasn't taken from his comics appearances, but rather his action figure packaging. Apparently it wasn't Mad.

Roger Ott

Nov 5, 2007, 06:13 pm

Finally got the issue today! Man, there was some great stuff in this one, as always. Nice to see a full complete entry on the Negative Zone, especially with the added planets and races information. Great work on the Spymaster profiles and thanks much for clearing up the mess that had been the Unicorn's history for about twenty years! And Shagreen the Sorcerer just made me smile!

Keep up the great work!

Rayeye

Nov 6, 2007, 05:53 pm

Again an amazing issue! I really liked the choice of characters, especially those half page entries of the Marvel Boys, Shagreen and Slayback.
And my compliments for the Clan Destine profile!

By the way, could you guys tell me who's the artist of Pele's picture?

Eric J. Moreels

Nov 6, 2007, 06:02 pm

Corey Blake wrote:

Oh yeah and when are the bibliographies usually added at marvel.com? I thought they would be there for this issue by now.

It's online here (http://www.marvel.com/universe/OHOTM...hy-AZ_Update_4)

DragynWulf

Nov 15, 2007, 12:06 pm

Roger Ott wrote:

Great work on the Spymaster profiles

Thanks! I enjoyed working on those characters due to the connections to Taskmaster, who is my favorite character.

Roger Ott

Nov 15, 2007, 04:25 pm

Can you elaborate on the original Spymaster's connection to the Taskmaster? I never got the impression that he trained the original. It makes sense, but I never thought of it that way from reading Iron Man #254 (as it's noted in the bibliography).

Captain Speedbump

Nov 17, 2007, 12:37 am

I also have a question someone maybe could elaborate on...

In Goldbug's entry, it states he attended the auctions of Eddie Brock's symbiote suit, and Mac Gargan's Scorpion suit, but he did not buy either. Obviously, we know he didn't get the symbiote, but was it ever revealed who did purchase the Scorpion suit?

One of the reasons I ask is that Scorpion is one of my favorite classic Spider-Man villains, and I'd like to see Gargan take up the mantle of the Scorpion again, also having Brock return as Venom. As interesting as the idea of other people having the symbiote is, I feel that many of the elements of Gargan's history and personality (his desire for vengeance on JJJ, for example) have been ignored since he became Venom, and it seems he's just a crazy guy with the symbiote now. In fact, one of my pet peeves on Marvel.com is that they took down the Gargan/Scorpion profile entirely (it just links to the Gargan/Venom profile, which mostly talks about his Venom history), yet they have an extensive Brock profile that goes into great detail of Brock's history as Venom. At the very least, if Gargan won't be Scorpion again soon, will the new owner of the Scorpion suit be revealed?

I'm fairly sure you guys don't know the answers to these questions, but I figured since you stated that Goldbug didn't buy the suit, has it been revealed, or will be revealed soon, who did?

Capt. Speedbump

DragynWulf

Nov 17, 2007, 02:11 am

Roger Ott wrote:

Can you elaborate on the original Spymaster's connection to the Taskmaster? I never got the impression that he trained the original. It makes sense, but I never thought of it that way from reading Iron Man #254 (as it's noted in the bibliography).

It comes from an interview I did with Bob Layton prior to becoming a handbook writer on my TaskmasterSite.Com website. He dropped hints in the issue that Taskmaster knew the original Spymaster.

http://www.taskmastersite.com/Interviews/BobLayton.htm

DragynWulf: In the story you hinted that Taskmaster knew the original Spymaster. Did you intend for him to have trained the original Spymaster as well?
Bob Layton: Yes. The concept was that Spymaster was more of a franchise that an individual creation.

Roger Ott

Nov 17, 2007, 10:15 am

Thanks! That Taskmaster site is pretty cool.

Andy E. Nystrom

Nov 22, 2007, 12:18 pm

One question: the Handbook itself lists the Red Skull's first appearance as Captain America Comics#1, but in the online bibliography, his first appearance is listed as Young Allies#1. Which is correct?

Michael Hoskin

Nov 22, 2007, 01:51 pm

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

One question: the Handbook itself lists the Red Skull's first appearance as Captain America Comics#1, but in the online bibliography, his first appearance is listed as Young Allies#1. Which is correct?

The Handbook is correct - the bibliography was written prior to a ruling that Captain America Comics#1 should be his first appearance.

MH

Andy E. Nystrom

Nov 22, 2007, 10:11 pm

Michael Hoskin wrote:

The Handbook is correct - the bibliography was written prior to a ruling that Captain America Comics#1 should be his first appearance.

MH

Thank you. One more question: I've since read that the Red Skull who was prominent in CAC#1 was an imposter (George John Maxon) and that Schmidt didn't appear until #7: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Skull

Could you clarify this point as well please?

Michael Hoskin

Nov 23, 2007, 12:37 pm

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

Thank you. One more question: I've since read that the Red Skull who was prominent in CAC#1 was an imposter (George John Maxon) and that Schmidt didn't appear until #7: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Skull

Could you clarify this point as well please?

Happily; the Skull in Captain America Comics#1 & 3 is indeed Maxon, who met his death in the 2nd appearance. Writers in the Golden Age may well have intended all of the Skull's appearances to be the same man, but it became generally accepted in the 80s that from Captain America Comics#7 onward, it was Johann Shmidt as the Red Skull.

However, when I brought this matter to Tom Brevoort he felt that it was a slight bit of disservice to the Red Skull to omit Captain America Comics#1 as his first appearance and instead credit it to an imposter. The solution I proposed (with some reference in the body of his history) is that Shmidt & Maxon were BOTH the Red Skull in issue#1: scenes where the Skull is seen conferring with his lackeys are Shmidt; scenes where the Skull is performing murders and/or battling Cap & Bucky are Maxon.

Andy E. Nystrom

Nov 24, 2007, 10:42 pm

Okay, that makes sense and as you say does allow the earliest story depicting the Skull to be his first appearance. Thank you for the clarificaiton.

Andy E. Nystrom

May 2, 2010, 07:24 pm

Again this is for the 2007 version. No #2-3 for now as they both have entries that will be in the last hardcover

Aqueduct
Hardcover Volume: 1
Page Count: Increased from 1 to 2
Text Changes: History greatly revised/expanded.
Graphic Changes: 3 new secondary illos.

Atom Smasher
Page Count: Unchanged at 1
Text/Graphic Changes: None

Blackwing
Now Listed As: Blackwing (Manfredi)
Additional Text/Graphic Changes: None

Captain Marvel
Hardcover Volume: 2
Page Count: Increased from 3 to 4
Text Changes: Group Affiliation revised. End of first paragraph of original third page change and remaining paragraphs heavily revised. New paragraph added to Abilities/Accessories and teleporter error removed from Power Grid.
Graphic Changes: New captioned secondary illo

Clan Destine
Page Count: Unchanged at 2
Text Changes: Current/Deceased members expanded a little. A few History revisions including but not limited to final paragraph.
Graphic Changes: Thaddeus added to headshots.

Count Abyss

Doctor Faustus
Hardcover Volume: 3
Text Changes: 2nd and 3rd History paragraphs merged; ditto 4th and 5th; final paragraph expanded.
Graphic Changes: None

Druig
Text Changes: End of History revised.
Graphic Changes: 2 new secondary illos.

Ero
Hardcover Volume: 4

Goldbug
Hardcover Volume: 4
Text Changes: None
Graphic Changes: Captions switched for the Bug-Ships and submarines (apparently all 4 previously had the wrong captions)

Heroes for Hire
Hardcover Volume: 5
Now Listed As: Heroes for Hire (Misty & Colleen)
Text Changes: all Current Members now listed as Former Members. 1st 2 and last 2 History paragraphs merged; end of final paragraph revised/expanded.

Lunatic Legion
Hardcover Volume: 6

Mace

Man-Ape
Hardcover Volume: 7
Graphic Changes: One secondary illo now cropped to make for a better headshot

Mindless Ones
Hardcover Volume: 7
Text Changes: New sentence added to final History paragraph.

Negative Zone
Hardcover Volume: 8
Page Count: Unchanged at 3
Text Changes: New passage for Taptor
Graphic Changes: New illo accompanies Taptor passage; llos added for Mantracora & Threska’s unidentified planet

Nitro
Page Count: Unchanged at 3
Text Changes: Old final History sentence replaced with 4 new ones. First 2 Abilities/accessories paragraphs merged; final sentence in final paragraph replaced with new one.

Omega Flight
Now Listed As: Omega Flight (Canadian Government Team)
Page Count: Increased from 1 to 2
Text Changes: Current Members revised. Former Members and Honorary members categories added. Half of final History paragraph removed and replaced with 4 new sentences.
Graphic Changes: Entire 2nd page is a new headquarters diagram from Marvel Atlas#2

Pele

Arcturus Rann
Hardcover Volume: 9
Text Changes: Aliases revised.

Red Skull
Now Listed As: Red Skull (Shmidt)
Page Count: Unchanged at 4
Text Changes: History somewhat revised, with new text weaving in and out of old.
Graphic Changes: Last secondary illo replaced with 3 captioned new ones.

Revanche
Graphic Changes: Old main illo removed; new main illo and captioned secondary illo

Ricadonna
Text Changes: The 2 Abilities/Accessories paragraphs reversed.

Ruby Thursday
Graphic Changes: New main illo (old one removed)

Shroud
Hardcover Volume: 10
Text Changes: More alter egos added to History

Siege Perilous
Text Changes: Alter egos added to History; final two paragraphs merged
Graphic Changes: New secondary illo (covers Rogue in main illo)

Randall Spector
Text Changes: Aliases revised; alter egos added to History; final two sentences replaced with two new ones. Abilities/Accessories revised/abridged

Spymaster
Hardcover Volume: 11
Split Into: Spymaster (Unrevealed); Spymaster (Lemon); Spymaster (Abbott)
Page Count: Originally 2; now 2 (Unrevealed), 1 each (Lemon, Abbott)
Text Changes: (all) Text moved to respective entries as approrpriate. (Unrevealed): Occupation revised. Group Affiliation tweaked; History considerably revised/expanded; Eyes and Hair revised. Abilities/Accessories mostly revised/expanded. Power Grid revised. (Lemon) Place of Birth revised. Group Affiliation tweaked. History greatly revised; new history encompasses final paragraph on 1st page with new beginning, then next two paragraphs of old entry, then new final paragraph. Abilities/Accessories completely rewritten. Energy Projection on Power Grid revised. (Abbott): Aliases clarified; History mostly revised/exapanded; Weight revised. Abilities/Accessories completely rewritten. Power Grid revised.
Graphic Changes: (Unrevealed) All but one now recaptioned secondary illo removed; new main illo and 2 new secondary illos (3 captioned); (Lomon); Abbott masked secondary illo now main illo with caption and background removed; partly unmasked illo of him cropped; remaining illos removed; (Abbott) precedessors illos removed; caption removed from headshot; new captioned secondary illo

Starhawk
Page Count: Increased from 3 to 4
Text Changes: Known Relatives tweaked. History and Abilities/Accessories greatly revised/expanded.
Graphic Changes: 3 new captioned secondary illos

Supreme Intelligence
Text Changes: Alter egos added to History

Texas Twister
Hardcover Volume: 12
Text Changes: Occupation tweaked, final History sentence revised.

Timesteam
Graphic Changes: Cropping revised on main illo

Trapster
Text Changes: Group Affiliation revised. Alter egos added to History; 2nd and 3rd History paragraphs merged; new sentence added to end of last paragraph. Hair revised
Graphic Changes: New main illo (old one now cropped as secondary); 2 secondary illos removed, 2 added

Unicorn
Now Listed As: Unicorn (Masaryk)
Text Changes: Alter egos revised. Last two History paragraphs replaced with two new ones, the second being a lot smaller (see Note below). 1st sentence in 2nd Abilities/Accessories paragraph removed, then the two paragraphs merged
Graphic Changes: 2 secondary illos removed, 2 new captioned secondary illos inc. classic Elliot R. Brown helmet specs
Note: 2nd last paragraph used as the basic of a new ½ page Unicorn entry (no parentheses, but Masaryk’s immediate successor). This entry has some of the text from the former 2nd last paragraph of the original Unicorn entry. One of the illos removed from the core entry is the new, recaptioned main illo with background removed, while the other removed illo is a secondary for this version, with caption removed; there is an additional captioned secondary illo. The Vital/Physical Stats and Power numbers are all new, which is why I’m treating this as a derivative entry and not a true split entry

Leiko Wu
Hardcover Volume: 13

Zaran
Hardcover Volume: 13

Arabian Knight
Now Listed As: Arabian Knight (Hashim)
Page Count: Unchanged at ½
Additional Text/Graphic Changes: None

Captain America (Revolutionary War)

Chronok

Ladyfair
Text Changes: Power Numbers revised

Lion God
Text Changes: Durability revised in Power Numbers

Marvel Boy (Martin Simon Burns)
Graphic Changes: unmasked headshot added

Marvel Boy (Martin Oksner Burns)
Graphic Changes: unmasked headshot added

Monstro
Text Changes: ½ sentence added to end of History

Shagreen the Sorcerer
Now Listed As: Shagreen
Text Changes: History a little revised (first sentence at least)
Graphic Changes: illo reversed

Slayback

My photostream (over 7.5 million photos!)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24917258@N05/

Board footera