Who Watches the Watchers - Forum for the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe & Similar Works 20 YEARS! 2004-2024

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/05/2020 8:46 am  #121

Re: The OHOTMU Trivia Game

zuckyd1 wrote:

Jane Foster Kincaid?

Close enough; there's a hyphen in there (Foster-Kincaid) but that was the name I was looking for otherwise. Or if you want to be pedantic, Foster-Kincaid, Jane.

With the Alternate Earths Appendix, what clued me in that it wasn't the hardcover series was you phrased it as a singular, and of course the softcover series would have used the same name as the hardcover..

zuckyd1 wrote:

Where can the largest entry for Midtown High School be found?

It took me a while to recall the name because I don't have that particular book, but I believe it's the Spider-Man Through the Decades tpb. I wish Marvel would put out a hardcover or trade collecting "Sightings" profiles that weren't in the 14-volume set.

My photostream (over 7.5 million photos!)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24917258@N05/

5/05/2020 9:19 am  #122

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

zuckyd1 wrote:

Where can the largest entry for Midtown High School be found?

It took me a while to recall the name because I don't have that particular book, but I believe it's the Spider-Man Through the Decades tpb.

Correct.

5/07/2020 5:51 am  #123

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

In order to make it faster for me to come up with questions from memory, I'm including Index questions this time. Which of course means that anyone else is also free to ask index questions.

1. What is Fight Man’s page count in the hardcovers?
9. Under what name was the Red She-Hulk first profiled in a Handbook in any sort of way?
10. Which character described as deceased in their ¼-page Squadron Supreme sub-entry subsequently turned up alive?
15. Which Baghdad analogue got an Appendix entry in Marvel Atlas #2?

1. Two pages
9. Banner, Betty Ross
10. Quagmire
15. Bagmom?

5/07/2020 6:51 am  #124

skippcomet wrote:

1. Two pages
9. Banner, Betty Ross
10. Quagmire
15. Bagmom?

1. Correct
9. A good guess, but incorrect.
10. Correct. An issue of Marvel Comics Presents revealed how he survived his apparent demise.
15. Correct, seen in Howard the Duck Annual #1

5/10/2020 7:05 am  #125

One more day for the remaining questions:
2. In which handbook did the amnesiac Skrull Captain Marvel first get a profile?
4. The First Appearance listing for one character in the most recent (five issue) Update series overlooked a single panel appearance decades earlier. Which character?
9. Under what name was the Red She-Hulk first profiled in a Handbook in any sort of way?
13. Which villain who shares the same code name as heroes first got an entry in the hardcovers? Three heroes with the same name have also gotten Handbook profiles but no other villains.

5/11/2020 8:06 am  #126

2. Marvel: Your Universe Saga, 1/2 page.
4. Phil Sheldon. I'll try to find images later to illustrate the point, but one panel in Marvels #4 with Phil Sheldon in it is drawn like a panel in Amazing Spider-Man #122. So sheldon is one of the onlookers in the latter.
9. While Red She-Hulk is indeed Betty Ross Banner, she had an appendix entry (which is why i wrote "in any sort of way") in the original series under Harpy.
13. Nomad (Edward Ferbel). Jack Monroe has had a number of Handbook entries, Steve Rogers had an entry as Nomad in Marvel Legacy: 1970s, and Rikki Barnes was in the last Update series.

5/13/2020 5:50 pm  #127

Took me a bit of time to come up with new questions:

1. What was the first entry in the Deluxe Edition’s Book of the Dead to have ¼ page sub-entries?
2. What Handbook like book came out after Master Edition and had capsule entries on the Avengers and related characters?
3. Which Deluxe Edition character was placed under a different name in the original trade series?
4. What popular Index additions began with the Thor trade?
5. Who drew Gaea for the Deluxe Edition?
6. Where was the first time that a Wasp entry included pages that consisted solely of small images of her many costumes?
7. The Agents of SHIELD Season 3/Agent Carter Season 2 Guidebook had entries on two characters played by the same actor. Which two characters and which actor?
8. One Handbook like book is aimed at people who are interested in a specific non-comics/movies/TV topic. Which book?
9. How many issues were in the most recent Index limited series?
10. Who was the Captain America: Winter Soldier Guidebook dedicated to?
11. What was the first reference series to end prematurely? Not counting any that were to be on-going.
12. Who was the cartographer for the Marvel Atlas books?
13. Which team of Punisher allies got an entry in Update ’89?
14. Which two versions of Spider-Man got entries in the Secret Wars Handbook? I’ll allow a reasonable description if you don’t recall their real names.
15. Who drew Kraven the Hunter in the original Handbook series?

5/13/2020 6:07 pm  #128

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

2. What Handbook like book came out after Master Edition and had capsule entries on the Avengers and related characters?
4. What popular Index additions began with the Thor trade?
6. Where was the first time that a Wasp entry included pages that consisted solely of small images of her many costumes?
8. One Handbook like book is aimed at people who are interested in a specific non-comics/movies/TV topic. Which book?
11. What was the first reference series to end prematurely? Not counting any that were to be on-going.
12. Who was the cartographer for the Marvel Atlas books?
13. Which team of Punisher allies got an entry in Update ’89?
15. Who drew Kraven the Hunter in the original Handbook series?

2. Avengers Log?
4. Hostess entries?
6. Secret Invasion Requiem?
8. Not sure I understand the question, but Anita Blake?
10. Robert Redford ;)
11. Wolverine Encyclopedia?
12. Eliot R. Brown?
13. Shadowmasters?
15. I'll guess Mike Zeck, even though it was several years before Kraven's Last Hunt

Last edited by zuckyd1 (5/13/2020 6:09 pm)

5/14/2020 12:08 am  #129

2. Correct
4. Correct. It gave the readers a big delight.
6. Incorrect
8. Incorrect. It's a reference work, and set in the Marvel Universe, but geared towards a specific interest that's not really pop culture, though it does have its own strong following.
10. Incorrect.
11. Correct. Only two of the three issues were published. At one point it appeared that the final issue would finally appear in a trade, but it was apparently discovered late in the trade's production that the third issue was never written before the cancellation.
12. Correct
13. Correct
15. Incorrect.

5/16/2020 2:55 am  #130

An Easter egg that no one online seems to have picked up on: The given names of two sibling characters, revealed in a handbook, are a homage to characters from bandes desinées. Which two characters and who are they a homage to?

5/19/2020 2:54 pm  #131

1. Ani-Men
3.Patsy Walker Hellstrom (as Hellcat in the trade)
15. John Romita Sr. ?

5/19/2020 5:11 pm  #132

skippcomet wrote:

1. Ani-Men
3.Patsy Walker Hellstrom (as Hellcat in the trade)
15. John Romita Sr. ?

#3 is another case where I worded it badly, though you are correct. The character I'm thinking of shifts letters and thus lands them in a different trade. #1 and #15 are correct.

5/20/2020 9:27 am  #133

One day left for the rest:
3. Which Deluxe Edition character was placed under a different name in the original trade series? Different first letter, different volume than if they were still under the original letter.
7. The Agents of SHIELD Season 3/Agent Carter Season 2 Guidebook had entries on two characters played by the same actor. Which two characters and which actor?
14. Which two versions of Spider-Man got entries in the Secret Wars Handbook? I’ll allow a reasonable description if you don’t recall their real names.

5/21/2020 7:07 am  #134

Remaining answers:
3. Which Deluxe Edition character was placed under a different name in the original trade series? Different first letter, different volume than if they were still under the original letter.

Ghost Rider got moved to Phantom Rider.

Trina Robbins

Mighty Avengers: Most Wanted

Grant Ward and Hive, both played by Brett Dalton

8. One Handbook like book is aimed at people who are interested in a specific non-comics/movies/TV topic. Which book?'

Marvel Tarot; topic self-explanatory

The then-recently deceased Garry Shandling.

Pavitr Pravhakar (I would have accepted Spider-Man India) and Miles Morales

Last edited by Andy E. Nystrom (5/21/2020 7:10 am)

5/21/2020 8:18 am  #135

Next round.

1. What was the main colour of the binder intended for the Master Edition?
2. Which Thor ally appeared in Thor (2011) but didn't get a Guidebook entry until the Iron Man 3/Thor: The Dark World book?
3. Who was the first Crimson Dynamo to get a handbook entry?
4. Aside from Doom himself, what Doctor Doom-related entry appeared in #3 of the original series?
5. What determined if an issue of Captain America Comics made it into the second modern index series or just the Captain America index trade?
6. What character from Marvel Legacy: 1980s was a parody of Steve Gerber?
7, Which character was listed under their first name in Marvel Legacy: 1960s but under their last name in the hardcover series?
8. What reprint title was covered in full in the 1980s X-Men Index?
9. In the first issue of the first Handbook series, who was listed has having been granted posthumous membership in a team(and which team)?
10. Which Robin analogue had en entry in one of the Ultimate Handbooks?
11. Which team in Marvel Legacy: 1990s had Cadaver as a member?
12. Who was first covered in a United States Postal Service giveaway?
13. What was the first Files book to be narrated in full by Steve Rogers?
14. Who drew the Damage control entry in update '89?
15. Which magical hero who had their own title was covered in hardcover #14?

5/21/2020 10:09 am  #136

Loki wrote:

An Easter egg that no one online seems to have picked up on: The given names of two sibling characters, revealed in a handbook, are a homage to characters from bandes desinées. Which two characters and who are they a homage to?

Bumping this so it doesn't get hidden beneath all the subsequent posts. I should mention that I don't intend to reveal the answer to this after a week, maybe not ever. Either someone manages to figure it out, or it remains a secret!

5/25/2020 11:04 am  #137

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

Next round.

1. What was the main colour of the binder intended for the Master Edition?
2. Which Thor ally appeared in Thor (2011) but didn't get a Guidebook entry until the Iron Man 3/Thor: The Dark World book?
3. Who was the first Crimson Dynamo to get a handbook entry?
4. Aside from Doom himself, what Doctor Doom-related entry appeared in #3 of the original series?
5. What determined if an issue of Captain America Comics made it into the second modern index series or just the Captain America index trade?
6. What character from Marvel Legacy: 1980s was a parody of Steve Gerber?
7, Which character was listed under their first name in Marvel Legacy: 1960s but under their last name in the hardcover series?
9. In the first issue of the first Handbook series, who was listed has having been granted posthumous membership in a team(and which team)?
10. Which Robin analogue had en entry in one of the Ultimate Handbooks?
11. Which team in Marvel Legacy: 1990s had Cadaver as a member?
12. Who was first covered in a United States Postal Service giveaway?
14. Who drew the Damage control entry in update '89?

1. Black
2. Fandral ?
3. Dimitri Bukharin
4. Dr. Doom's Castle
6. Thundersword
7. Chili Storm
8. Classic X-Men
9. Captain Mar-Vell in the Avengers
10. Woody
11. Secret Defenders
12. Willy Lumpkin (although I think he was first covered in Update '89)
14. Ernie Colon (I don't know how to put in the 'tilde' mark in his last name)

5/25/2020 11:52 am  #138

skippcomet wrote:

1. Black
2. Fandral ?
3. Dimitri Bukharin
4. Dr. Doom's Castle
6. Thundersword
7. Chili Storm
8. Classic X-Men
9. Captain Mar-Vell in the Avengers
10. Woody
11. Secret Defenders
12. Willy Lumpkin (although I think he was first covered in Update '89)
14. Ernie Colon (I don't know how to put in the 'tilde' mark in his last name)

1. Correct
2. Correct, due to the switch in actors
3. Correct, starting with the original series
4, 6, 7. Correct.
8. Incorrect. While the earliest issues of Classic X-Men were covered, the series had not yet concluded at the time.
9, 10, 11. Correct
12. Correct, and bad wording on my part; I was trying to distinguish from the hardcover.
14. Correct (Ernie Colón). For the accent, you can Google his name without the accent, and then copy and paste.

5/27/2020 4:49 am  #139

One day's notice on the following:

5/28/2020 6:30 am  #140

Remaining answers

Issues weren't covered if they retroactively featured replacements as Captain America and Bucky (even though the stories themselves treated them as the originals)

Amazing Adventures (third series); each issue covered half an issue of the original X-Men series starting from the beginning, plus one of the backups from the later origins. This meant that every second issue had a page of new art to bring readers into the secoind half of the main story.

The Heroic Age: Heroes

Wally the Wizard

5/28/2020 6:56 am  #141

The new round is original series themed.

1. How long was the editorial piece in #1?
2, What was the last Alien Race to be covered?
3. Which Alien Race entry was half a page instead of the standard quarter page?
4. What was the final Appendix entry?
5. Which character in the Book of the Dead and Inactive had their first and (at the time) final appearances in issues of the same B&W magazine?
6. Who drew the Captain Mar-Vell entry?
7. Whose hat got an entry in the final issue?
8. Who drew the Green Goblin entry?
9. Who shared the same page as the Hobgoblin?
10. Who drew the Punisher entry?
11. What Kang-related entry immediately followed Kang's own entry?
12. What Fantastic Four related entry appeared in #15?
13. Which entry immediately followed Defenders?
14. Who drew the U-Foes?
15. Who is the real name of the version of Mister Fear to get a full entry?

5/28/2020 7:04 am  #142

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

5. Which character in the Book of the Dead and Inactive had their first and (at the time) final appearances in issues of the same B&W magazine?

Ulysses Bloodstone I think.

5/28/2020 7:11 am  #143

Loki wrote:

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

No, I actually doublechecked that one to make sure he wouldn't derail the answer I had in mind. As it turns out while he died in a B&W magazine (Rampagging Hulk #8), he first appeared in Marvel Presents #1, a standard colour issue. Actually the character I'm thinking of did later appear in a different B&W title, but it took place before their ending.

5/28/2020 10:16 am  #144

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

Loki wrote:

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

No, I actually doublechecked that one to make sure he wouldn't derail the answer I had in mind. As it turns out while he died in a B&W magazine (Rampagging Hulk #8), he first appeared in Marvel Presents #1, a standard colour issue. Actually the character I'm thinking of did later appear in a different B&W title, but it took place before their ending.

Hmm. It's can't be Satana, because though she debuted in b&w she died in MTU. The only other character to predominately appear in b&w was Simon Garth, the Zombie, who appeared mostly in Tales of the Zombie (and Bizarre Tales, which might be the other issue you mention) - but Garth debuted in the 1950s anthology Menace in colour.

5/28/2020 5:09 pm  #145

Loki wrote:

Hmm. It's can't be Satana, because though she debuted in b&w she died in MTU. The only other character to predominately appear in b&w was Simon Garth, the Zombie, who appeared mostly in Tales of the Zombie (and Bizarre Tales, which might be the other issue you mention) - but Garth debuted in the 1950s anthology Menace in colour.

Darn, I overlooked that earlier appearance of Zombie, For the first two Handbook series, Mark and Peter discounted pre-FF #1 appearances, so I was going by my memory of what was in the first two runs, and I recalled them listing his first and final appearances in the same title. It was only a matter of time before the whole First Modern Appearance thing tripped me up,

6/05/2020 5:29 pm  #146

Answers tomorrow. 14 questions still on the board, all related to the original series:

14. Who drew the U-Foes?

6/06/2020 12:34 am  #147

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

Answers tomorrow. 14 questions still on the board, all related to the original series:

Z'nox

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

Humanoid aliens. 

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

Ringmaster I'd imagine.

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

Howard the Duck.

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

Kang's Time-Ship. I suspect it would have ended up in #15 if they had originally thought to set aside a book for equipment when the run began.

6/06/2020 4:53 am  #148

All of those are correct. Kang's Time Ship was half a page so it would have fit in well with most of the other entries in #15 for sure.

6/06/2020 7:54 am  #149

Remaining answers:
1/2 page

Zuras

Jim Starlin

John Romita Sr.

Frank Miller

Fantastic Four Signal Device

Defensor. The similar sounding names is an aid for remembering this one.

14. Who drew the U-Foes?
Sal Buscema

Alan Fagan

6/27/2020 7:16 am  #150

Back to Handbook questions. From original series.

1. Which character has five different real names?
2. What is the background colour for the cover to #2?
3. Who shares a page with Kang's Time Ship?
4. What is the background colour for the cover to #4?
5. What two sorts of ID appear on the inside back cover of #15?
6. Which individual character (not team) had an entry for their mansion?
7, What is the most important landmark in the map to Man-Things's Swamp?
8. Which Appendix entry in #2 is for an Omega the Unknown foe?
9. Some of which Alien Race resemble a troll?
10. Who shares a page with the second page of Squadron Supreme?
11. What was the Hawkman analogue called in the Squadron Supreme entry?
12. What is the last team (as opposed to group classification) to get an entry in the Book of the Dead and Inactive?
13. In the Book of the Dead and Inactive, a deceased (at the time) character is followed by an Inactive character with the same code name. Which code name?
14. What is Hamilton Slade listed as?
15. Much of this DC character analogue's Origin was later revealed to be false

Board footera