Who Watches the Watchers - Forum for the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe & Similar Works 20 YEARS! 2004-2024

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/07/2020 8:45 am  #1

All-New OHOTMU A-Z 2006 #4

Historical text from Comixfan:

Eric J. Moreels

Jan 17, 2006, 06:10 pm

Coming in April from Marvel Comics...

ALL-NEW OFFICIAL HANDBOOK OF THE MARVEL UNIVERSE A TO Z #4
Written by JEFF CHRISTIANSEN, MICHAEL HOSKIN, SEAN MCQUAID, ERIC J. MOREELS, MARK O’ENGLISH, STUART VANDAL, RONALD BYRD, MADISON CARTER, MIKE FICHERA, ANTHONY FLAMINI, CHRIS BIGGS & BARRY REESE
Cover by KEU CHA

The Handbook from A to Z rolls on – including bios on the Elements of Doom, Emplate, Equinox, Eric the Red, the Eternals, Fight-Man, Richard Fisk, the Fixer, the Folding Circle, Forge, Fortunato, Frog-Man, Deacon Frost, the Fury, the Galactic Guardians, Gamecock, the Gibbon, the Glob and more! While the Handbooks of the past two years focused on specific themes, this twelve-issue monthly series covers all Marvel’s characters, teams, objects, events and places – including new characters, characters who never received a profile, and those needing major updates.

64 PGS. NO ADS/Rated T+ SUGGESTED FOR TEENS AND UP ...$3.99

Chris Day

Jan 17, 2006, 06:52 pm

is Fight-Man the guy from Agent X?

will Techno have a separate Bio? or will he and Fixer share?

Rayeye

Jan 18, 2006, 07:40 am

I'm glad to see the Fury and Emplate are in it!
So according to the cover the following characters are included in the Handbook: Emplate, Gargoyle, Elf with a Gun, Fury, Ego, Eternity, Forge, Fixer and Frog-Man.
So could anybody tell me who are the others: the American girl, the man with the yellow cape, the man with the blue cape, the strong black guy, the winged woman and the man with the gun?

clawsofwolverine

Jan 18, 2006, 10:41 am

I can't be sure but I think the african american dude may be Battlestar, a former partner of Captain America

Rayeye

Jan 18, 2006, 11:14 am

clawsofwolverine wrote:

I can't be sure but I think the african american dude may be Battlestar, a former partner of Captain America

Since this Handbook includes characters starting with E, F and G, I think it's unlikely it is Battlestar.

By the way, I hope Gamora and Gateway do have a profile in the Handbook.

Glorificus

Jan 18, 2006, 12:04 pm

The winged woman is either the goddess Erishkagel, or the deviant with the same name that impersonates her.

Stuart V

Jan 18, 2006, 04:13 pm

clawsofwolverine wrote:

Hmm. A biG African American hero, a veritable black goliath. Who could that be?

Zach Kinkead

Jan 18, 2006, 08:45 pm

Stuart V wrote:

Hmm. A biG African American hero, a veritable black goliath. Who could that be?

It’s good to know you handbook guys are willing to help Foster the diversity of the MU.

I just hope they paid you guys enough for your services to pay all your Bills.

Awe, forget subtlety… GIANT-MAN! [img]file:///C:\Users\Andy\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image001.gif[/img]

clawsofwolverine

Jan 20, 2006, 11:25 am

Rayeye wrote:

Since this Handbook includes characters starting with E, F and G, I think it's unlikely it is Battlestar.

By the way, I hope Gamora and Gateway do have a profile in the Handbook.

Ack! How embarrassing!

DrGoodwrench

Jan 20, 2006, 01:20 pm

The American girl is Free Spirit, ex-sidekick of Captain America (along with Jack Flag). The may with the gun looks like the guy from Elektra: Assassin whose name I can't remember. Not sure about the caped people.

Jack O'Lantern

Jan 21, 2006, 08:40 am

I think the guy in the yellow cloak is Father Time, although I'm sure his cloak was blue.

PaxHouse

Jan 24, 2006, 08:47 pm

You've mentioned before that this Volume will includes Teams as well....

Will EXCELSIOR be in this Issue....? :cross:

Eric J. Moreels

Apr 26, 2006, 10:22 am

Out today!

What'd everyone think of it?

RVcousin

Apr 27, 2006, 02:04 am

No Generation X ?

Please tell me it's a mistake !

75 issues, 5 annuals, many specials, many guest appearances and no entry in the OHOTMU history.

WHY ?

Madison Carter

Apr 27, 2006, 02:22 am

PaxHouse wrote:

You've mentioned before that this Volume will includes Teams as well....

Will EXCELSIOR be in this Issue....? :cross:

Well, now that it's out, I can say no. Unfortunately, there is a behind-the-scenes situation that caused their exclusion.

Madison Carter

Apr 27, 2006, 02:26 am

RVcousin wrote:

No Generation X ?

Please tell me it's a mistake !

75 issues, 5 annuals, many specials, many guest appearances and no entry in the OHOTMU history.

WHY ?

Generation X's exclusion was not a mistake. There is a reason for it.

TheMetalMetrosexual

Apr 27, 2006, 10:02 am

Big props for including the Elements of Doom, Epoch, Eternity, and Eurotrash, and Father Time!

I would've liked to see an entry for the Enforcrers, though I'm not sure that would extend to the later, Web of Spiderman version that had the replaceable members, which is my main reason for wanting to see it.

Feral, Gideon and the Godddess' abscence was conspicuous, but I'll look forward to the 90's handbook.

I assume Firelord will be in the Cosmic Handbook, which I'm hoping isn't just the profiles from the back of the Annhilation books collected.

Rayeye

Apr 30, 2006, 12:35 pm

Bismuth is missing in the member list of the Elements of Doom.

In the Eternals' profile there are also a few Eternals missing: Elysius, Icarus (son of Ikaris and a human woman) and Iris Deveraux (daughter of Ceyote and a human woman).

WhitePhalkon

May 2, 2006, 12:37 pm

I liked it. Good work!! Im glad that Eternity has finally been defined again because he's had about as many different definitions as the Phoenix Force!! One minute he's the sentience of the universe, then the life force of the universe (now applied to Phoenix), the embodiment of all life in the universe and now finally its hopefully set in stone that hes the embodiment of time with Infinity being space.

Where does that leave Kronos then who we saw in Infinity Gauntlet? lol

Gaara of the Sand

May 2, 2006, 01:59 pm

Where does that leave Kronos then who we saw in Infinity Gauntlet? lol
A disembodied Titan who has limited control over time.

WhitePhalkon

May 2, 2006, 02:06 pm

Thank u much!! Infinity Gauntlet gave me the impression he was more akin to an abstract. I guess not.

Gaara of the Sand

May 2, 2006, 07:45 pm

WhitePhalkon wrote:

Thank u much!! Infinity Gauntlet gave me the impression he was more akin to an abstract. I guess not.

Naw, he's of absolutely no importance at all on a universal level. He was there because Starlin brought everyone back who was involved with Thanos...and then had Thanos tar and feather them...many times over.

Anyways, we have also seen Chronos long to see Infinity. Her "hand" manifested years back (old Silver Age Thor stuff with Odin and an evil clone...long boring story), and he had wanted to see her ever since. Then after the events in Quasar 24-25, he finally got the opportunity.

And hey, you're welcome, any other cosmic questions and I'll be more than happy to help ya ^_^

Gaara of the Sand

May 8, 2006, 10:50 am

Sorry to double post but...

Am I wrong in remembering that there were more posts to this thread? [img]file:///C:\Users\Andy\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image002.gif[/img]

Eric J. Moreels

May 9, 2006, 05:28 am

WhitePhalkon wrote:

Sorry to double post but...

Am I wrong in remembering that there were more posts to this thread? [img]file:///C:\Users\Andy\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image002.gif[/img]

Nope, you're not wrong. They were moved to the general questions thread.

Gaara of the Sand

May 9, 2006, 02:07 pm

Ah, gotcha :whistle:

PaxHouse

May 19, 2006, 12:37 pm

Madison Carter wrote:

Well, now that it's out, I can say no. Unfortunately, there is a behind-the-scenes situation that caused their exclusion.

And I saw the reason for this within the TEAM Section of the MU 'Site within Marvel.Com.; and it's probably might be due to the going ons within the CIVIL WAR Event......

Madison Carter

May 19, 2006, 01:21 pm

PaxHouse wrote:

And I saw the reason for this within the TEAM Section of the MU 'Site within Marvel.Com.; and it's probably might be due to the going ons within the CIVIL WAR Event......

Actually, now that either Tom or Joe Q. (I can't remember which, but I saw it in one of their interviews this week) stated it publicly, Excelsior will have to get a name change at some point because of the situation with Stan Lee owning that name. That's the reason they were dropped (literally at the last minute) from the current Handbook.

Playmobil

May 19, 2006, 02:59 pm

Madison Carter wrote:

Actually, now that either Tom or Joe Q. (I can't remember which, but I saw it in one of their interviews this week) stated it publicly, Excelsior will have to get a name change at some point because of the situation with Stan Lee owning that name. That's the reason they were dropped (literally at the last minute) from the current Handbook.

How does this actuallly work? I ask because there both Marvel and DC characters with the same name, like Captain Marvel and Fury. When a second part can't use a name because there's a first one already using it?

Gaara of the Sand

Jun 8, 2006, 01:37 pm

Sorry about this late question, but I was re-reading Eternity's bio.

In it, he is listed as being only the embodiment of time.

He has been labeled as the embodiment of life itself on numerous times, including Quasar 37, which was written by Gru. And IIRC, I was told, on this very board, that Gru's word is law as far as the Handbooks are concerned.

So, is this an official retcon of Eternity's status in the universe?

Thanks

WhitePhalkon

Jul 7, 2006, 05:22 pm

This has been bugging me for a long time so i would be really grateful if anyone could help me out. In The Fallen Ones bio it says that the Infinity Gems are supposed to be powered by the Big Bang. Can anyone tell me what title (and helpfully the issue number) that this was revealed in?

Andy E. Nystrom

Apr 17, 2010, 11:25 pm

More changes from Hardcovers. Can’t recall now why I didn’t post this previously

Damon Dran
Hardcover Volume: 3
Page Count: Unchanged at 1
Text Changes: None
Graphic Changes: More of body visible in main illo. One secondary illo captioned, the other resized and recoloured and thus easier to see.

8-Ball
Graphic Changes: one secondary illo’s background now white

Ego
Page Count: Unchanged at 2
Text Changes: End of one History paragraph mildly reworded.
Graphic Changes: New captioned secondary illo

Elements of Doom
Text Changes: New sentence added to end of History
Graphic Changes: None

Elf with a Gun
Hardcover Volume: 4
Text Changes: 3rd paragraph added to Note

Elysius
Text Changes: new sentence added to end of History.
Graphic Changes: Old illo now shows open eyes. New secondary illo

Emplate
Text Changes: Penance removed as possible Known Relative

Epoch
Text Changes: final History paragraph expanded.
Graphic Changes: New secondary illo

Equinox
Text Changes: Group Affiliation expanded. New final paragraph added to History

Ereshkigel
Graphic Changes: new captioned secondary illo added as Steckley

Eric the Red
Graphic Changes: new secondary illo added

Eternal Brain
Graphic Changes: Walkabout illo removed and replaced with new captioned illo; new captioned illo of Homunculus form

Eternals
Page Count: Unchanged at 4
Text Changes: Base of Operations expanded. Additional History material weaves in and out of old material, including new paragraphs.
Graphic Changes: New captioned illo of Uni-Mind. Headshots: First appearances still listed but “First appearance:” caption removed; not read left to right rather than up to down; illo updated for Ajax; Ajax, Forgotten One no longer deceased; new headshots for Kazantra, Legba.

Eternity
Text Changes: Final History paragraph expanded, Power Grid added.

Euro-Trash
Text Changes: First 2 History paragraphs: text added, split at different spot in narrative.

Exemplars
Text Changes: 2nd History paragraph split in 2 and revised.
Graphic Changes: New main illo, old main illo removed. Black bars removed from headshots

Fallen One
Hardcover Volume: 2
Now Listed As: Champion
Text Changes: Aliases tweaked, end of final History paragraph revised.

Father Time
Text Changes: 3rd History paragraph expanded slightly to reference Twelve#1
Graphic Changes: Main and secondary illos replaced with new ones (both now face forward rather than to the left)

Fathom Five
Text/Graphic Changes: None

Femme Fatales
Text Changes: Physical Stats and Power Numbers added for each member
Graphic Changes: New secondary illo.

Feron
Graphic Changes: 2 new secondary illos

Fight-Man
Page Count: increased from 1 to 2
Text Changes: History greatly revised and expanded (a fair amount of original text still present).
Graphic Changes: 12 headshots of foes with first appearances added.

Richard Fisk
Text Changes: First Appearance expanded to cover various identities.

Fixer
Page Count: Unchanged at 3
Text Changes: End of final History paragraph revised.
Graphic Changes: Secondary illos now captioned.

Flag-Smasher
Text Changes: Final History paragraph expanded.
Graphic Changes: None.

Flying Dutchman’s Ghost

Folding Circle
Text Changes: Final History paragraph expanded.

Force Four
Graphic Changes: 4 new secondary illos

Forge
Text Changes: History greatly revised (some old text still present). New paragraph added to Abilities/Accessories
Graphic Changes: Old illos removed. New main illo and 5 secondary illos (3 captioned).

Don Fortunato
Text Changes: Intelligence and Fighting Skills revised on Power Grid
Graphic Changes: 2 new captioned secondary illos

Free Spirit

Frog-Man
Split Into: Frog-Man, Leapfrog
Hardcover Volume: 4 (Frog-Man), 6 (Leap-Frog)
Page Count: Originally 2; now 2 (Frog-Man), 1 (Leap-Frog)
Text Changes: Frog-Man: Leap-Frog text removed. Group Affiliation expanded. History heavily revised in other areas to remove Vincent-only material and expand on Eugene (History more or less starts on what was the 3rd paragraph); more info added on other Frog-Men. Abilities/Accessories revised/expanded. Leap-Frog: Frog-Man text removed. Aliases and Occupation revised. New sentence added to end of second History paragraph; rest of History revised and condense to remove Frog-Man-specific material. Abilities/Accessories a little revised.
Graphic Changes: Frog-Man: Leap-Frog illos removed. 2 new captioned secondary illos plus captioned Action Pack headshots. Leap-Frog: The two Frog-Man illos (main illo plus Eugene headshot) removed. Secondary illo of Leapfrog now main, with background removed. Vincent headshot no longer captioned.

Deacon Frost
Text Changes: History slightly revised, with second paragraph split in 2.

Fury
Text Changes: final History paragraph revised/expanded. Speed on Power Grid revised.

Galactic Guardians
Text Changes: History tweaked

Gamecock
Page Count: Unchanged at ½
Text Changes: Strength and Fighting Skills on Power Numbers revised

Gazer

Ganymede

Gargoyle
Text Changes: Group Affiliation expanded. Final History paragraph greatly expanded.

John Garrett

Geist

Geshem
Page Count: Increased from 1 to 2
Graphic Changes: 17 new captioned secondary illos.

Gibbon
Text Changes: Final History paragraph greatly expanded. Strength revised on Power Grid
Graphic Changes: 2 new secondary illos (1 captioned).

Glob
Text Changes: new sentence added to end of History.

Gnobians
Graphic Changes: Death’s Head Squadron illo replaced with new one (still captioned). New captioned illo of Lump

Ma Gnucci
Text Changes: New sentence added to end of History.

Goliath
Page Count: Increased from 2 to 3
Text Changes: Known Relatives and Group Affiliation expanded. New History text weaves in and out of old material (particularly expanded at end).
Graphic Changes: Black Goliath illo less cropped. New captioned secondary illo of Tom Foster.

Goodman, Lieber, Kurtzberg & Holliway
Now Listed As: Goodman, Lieber, Kurtzberg & Book
Page Count: Increased from 1 to 2
Text Changes: New categories added: Known Staff, Former Staff, Freeman Bonding Inc., Notable clients. Base of Operations accidentally listed twice (second time expanded to include Freeman). First Appearance expanded to include Freeman. History mostly (not completely) revised and expanded.
Graphic Changes: Positions removed from headshots; headshots removed for Jennifer Walters, Ditto, Pug, Matt Hawk, Mallory, Stu and replaced with captioned illo of above plus Chas, Bobo, Lewis (note added to list First appearances of these); new headshots for Emilee Freeman, Cecil Pierce, Smedley F. Smedley.

Sidney Osinga

Apr 17, 2010, 11:31 pm

Sidney Osinga wrote:

More changes from Hardcovers. Can’t recall now why I didn’t post this previously

Gazer

It's because he is now called War.

My photostream (over 7.5 million photos!)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24917258@N05/

Board footera