Who Watches the Watchers - Forum for the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe & Similar Works 20 YEARS! 2004-2024

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/17/2021 1:29 pm  #91

Re: The Official Handbooks General Q&A Thread

Very cool!
So I wonder who wrote them?

6/17/2021 1:47 pm  #92

zuckyd1 wrote:

Very cool!
So I wonder who wrote them?

Not sure. It's not the regular team, though we did get asked to proof them a little while back (after they were first mentioned here - I wasn't lying back then when I said I didn't know what they would be).

6/30/2021 4:06 am  #93

The third handbook variant cover (Amazing Spider-Man #71) has been released on Twitter :
https://mobile.twitter.com/IsraelSilvaArt/status/1409980461158383616

6/30/2021 10:08 am  #94

RVcousin wrote:

The third handbook variant cover (Amazing Spider-Man #71) has been released on Twitter :

I love that it's the classic style with the small type.

6/30/2021 8:18 pm  #95

zuckyd1 wrote:

RVcousin wrote:

I love that it's the classic style with the small type.

I appreciate that smaller text too. Kinda wish we had some new handbooks for real!

I remain

7/28/2021 6:51 pm  #96

To anyone who worked on the Civil War Battle Damage Report:

First off, loved the "appendix" page with brief updates on ridiculously minor superhumans not seen in years to decades; you guys really do know everybody! One character in particular caught my obscure-mutant-fan eye: Obituary of O-Force, given the real name Milton Peterson. Did this name come from Milligan or just you? And in either case, are there real names for the other O-Force members on record somewhere?

Relatedly, coming up with bit character names seems like a blast; is there any "method" you use for it? I mean where do you get names like "Jonadab Megyscol?"

7/29/2021 2:09 am  #97

Pinball_Lizard wrote:

To anyone who worked on the Civil War Battle Damage Report:

First off, loved the "appendix" page with brief updates on ridiculously minor superhumans not seen in years to decades; you guys really do know everybody! One character in particular caught my obscure-mutant-fan eye: Obituary of O-Force, given the real name Milton Peterson. Did this name come from Milligan or just you? And in either case, are there real names for the other O-Force members on record somewhere?

Relatedly, coming up with bit character names seems like a blast; is there any "method" you use for it? I mean where do you get names like "Jonadab Megyscol?"

After so many years it's hard to recall who specifically provided a name (except in cases where I was the one to do so - those I tend to recall). So I can't say for sure on Obituary. I've passed the query on to the team, so someone there might remember. Afaik, the other members of O-Force remain without civilian names, though I suspect if we ever have cause to cover them in a handbook profile that will change, simply because every single codename in the team is also being used by another character, and we tend to seek civilian names for clarification purposes in such cases.

In terms of coming up character names, I think most of us have slightly differing preferences, and use a mix of methods. To give some examples using cases where I named someone because original writers were either unavailable or uninterested in doing so themselves (but happy to let us do so):

some are named for people I know, either in part or whole, e.g. Keratin (X-Student)

some are references or nods to something in some way relevant to their character - e.g. the ape version of Captain Britain, Anglo-Simian, is Joseph Cornelius, referencing cinematic apes Mighty Joe Young and Dr Cornelius of Planet of the Apes

some are chosen based on an aspect of their character/backgrounds and a search for names suitable for same - e.g. Captain England's accent suggested a Yorkshire background, so did a hunt for "ye olde time" Yorkshire names to get his first name and surname separately, and ended up with Henric Lockwood. 

sometimes it's a reverse of the above - the names are picked to hint at a previously unrevealed aspect of the character's background - e.g. without explicitly stating it, we wanted Coldheart's name to hint at her being Mohawk, so her names (and place of birth) were all chosen based on that.
Fun fact: originally I wanted the name hint to be more subtle, so I suggested a surname that is common among Mohawks but might also be found amongst people of purely European descent: Brant. However, part way through the proofing process one of my fellow writers pointed out that if we gave a Spider-Man related character the surname Brant people would jump to a different conclusion and assume she was related to Betty Brant. Realising that they were right on that count, we switched her surname to Deseronto. 

occasionally it's just random - pick a first name and/or surname and go with it. 

7/29/2021 3:27 am  #98

RVcousin wrote:

Here is the fourth.
https://previewsworld.com/SiteImage/MainImage/STL192476.jpg

8/02/2021 12:56 pm  #99

8/04/2021 8:17 am  #100

Are the Handbook people consulting on the What If show at all? To head off universe number goofs and such?

8/04/2021 11:46 pm  #101

Here are Sinister War Handbook variants #6 and #7 : https://twitter.com/david_baldeon/status/1423064233512636418?s=19

8/14/2021 2:16 pm  #102

Here is the 8th Sinister War Handbook variant cover : https://twitter.com/david_baldeon/status/1426609795298074632?s=19

8/14/2021 9:53 pm  #103

Pinball_Lizard wrote:

Are the Handbook people consulting on the What If show at all? To head off universe number goofs and such?

Nope.

9/11/2021 6:42 am  #104

Further to a previous discussion, it appears that Marvel made some sort of deal with Hasbro and as a result, Hasbro, not Marvel now owns the trademark to the Dire Wraiths, which is how they were able to appear in the IDW series.
https://www.cbr.com/marvel-rom-spaceknight-dire-wraiths-hasbro-trademark-lawsuit/

My photostream (over 7.5 million photos!)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24917258@N05/

9/18/2021 3:11 pm  #105

A question that came up on another site: in X-23's 2005 profile her height was listed as 5'6". In the two updated profiles that came out in 2010 her height was changed to 5'1". Was there a specific reason why? (FWIW her weight remained unchanged at 110.)

9/26/2021 11:28 am  #106

Why are the two Martin Burns Marvel Boys considered separate characters? Reading about them was so odd to me as they not only have the same code name, but nearly identical real names and origins too; wouldn't it be easier to assume they're two alternate tellings of the same character?

9/26/2021 1:06 pm  #107

Pinball_Lizard wrote:

Why are the two Martin Burns Marvel Boys considered separate characters? Reading about them was so odd to me as they not only have the same code name, but nearly identical real names and origins too; wouldn't it be easier to assume they're two alternate tellings of the same character?

Not one of the Handbook writers but here's my take: Having read the profiles (and years earlier their Encyclopeia of Super-Heroes profiles) the problem seems to be they have different costumes in their origin story and fight different villains in said story, among other differences that can't be ignored as easily as different hair colour. It seems likely that one is a parallel Earth version of the other (pure speculation on my part).

9/30/2021 4:09 am  #108

Pinball_Lizard wrote:

We did discuss this back in the day, but that was when their first handbook entries were being written which is (eek) over 15 years ago now I believe, so I can't find the original e-mail exchange. However, I can recall enough to roughly recount the reasoning:

First, while we can and do have to try and make conflicting accounts make sense, we also avoid retconning stuff as "never having happened" unless we've been explicitly told that was the case. So ruling that one Marvel Boy or the other wasn't 616 without evidence of same was not something we would rush to do - and if we had, which one should be 616 and which should be another reality? So the Marvel Boys entries simply confirmed the details, as far
as we knew them, of BOTH stories to be correct. Having only one Marvel Boy would have been retconning out one or other origin. Yes, they've got similar origins, and similar names, but that's not impossible. Heck, for all we
know, Origin was bored, and amused itself by empowering every American boy called Martin Burns to become a hero called Marvel Boy while believing their powers in some way came from Hercules. Or maybe it was the Eternal Sprite doing it, or some other entity using the mysterious "Shadow" form.

Is it unlikely that two boys both called Martin Burns got superpowers in some way (allegedly) related to Hercules? 

Absolutely.

But it's also unlikely that being bitten by a radioactive spider gives someone spider powers rather than blood poisoning. Or being caught in a nuclear bomb blast allows you to transform into a superstrong monster rather than killing you slowly from radiation poisoning. This is the Marvel Universe. Ziggy Pig exists in the same reality as the Punisher. There's no such thing as too unlikely.

10/11/2021 3:54 pm  #109

I have a question about Vanguard/Red Guardian's real name. Which is the official name?
Incredible Hulk #258 - Nicolai Krylenko
Marvel Super Hero Contest of Champions #1 - Nicolai Krylenko
Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe #12 - Nicolai Krylenko
Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe #14 - Nicolai Krylenko
Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe Master Edition #11 - Nikolai Krylenko
X-Men: The 198 Files #1 - Nicolai Mikhail Krylenko
All-New Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe A to Z #3 (Darkstar entry) - Nicolai Mikhail Krylenko
All-New Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe A to Z #1 8 (Presence Entry entry) - Nicolai Krylenko
Captain America: America's Avenger V#1 - Nikolai Krylenko

11/22/2021 4:15 am  #110

Lonewolf36 wrote:

I have a question about Vanguard/Red Guardian's real name. Which is the official name?
Incredible Hulk #258 - Nicolai Krylenko
Marvel Super Hero Contest of Champions #1 - Nicolai Krylenko
Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe #12 - Nicolai Krylenko
Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe #14 - Nicolai Krylenko
Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe Master Edition #11 - Nikolai Krylenko
X-Men: The 198 Files #1 - Nicolai Mikhail Krylenko
All-New Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe A to Z #3 (Darkstar entry) - Nicolai Mikhail Krylenko
All-New Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe A to Z #1 8 (Presence Entry entry) - Nicolai Krylenko
Captain America: America's Avenger V#1 - Nikolai Krylenko

Sorry for the slow response. I had to take it to the team to discuss, and since everyone has their own lives and commitments to deal with it sometimes takes time to get to the conclusion of such discussions.So, as far as we can see:
Nicolai and Nikolai are both valid. That's because his actual name would normally be spelled using Russian cyrillic - though that has both a K and a C, the C in cyrillic is pronounced more like an S in the alphabet we use. His Russian cyrillic name would thus presumably be spelled with a K, but might be transliterated into either a K or a hard C when switched into our alphabet.
 In terms of the middle name, since his father was Sergei Krylov, by normal Russian naming standards you'd expect Vanguard's middle name to normally be Sergeiovitch (and his surname to be Krylov). However, though that would normally be the case for most Russians, here Mikhail is correct, as it is apparently his official middle name on Russian legal documents. He and his sister were raised without knowing their parents or even that they were siblings, so their names were modified to hide those relationships - same reason they have different (official) surnames from each other.

It seems likely that his full documented middle name would be Mikhailovitch, to match the norm for patronymic Russian middle names. However, and I have to emphasize this, that's strictly our speculation at this point. Unless and until an appropriate profile gives us reason to 
check with editorial and get their feedback and approval for modifying his middle name, the possibility that the full version is Mikhailovitch is only an unofficial hypothesis.

12/18/2021 7:30 pm  #111

Since you guys love this subject, in your professional opinion how many alternate universes are seen in Deadpool 2, counting the mid-credits-scene rewinds?

12/27/2021 4:14 am  #112

Pinball_Lizard wrote:

Since you guys love this subject, in your professional opinion how many alternate universes are seen in Deadpool 2, counting the mid-credits-scene rewinds?

We usually assume each time travel trip created a new timeline. But that's not a guarantee. Between that sequence and the uncounted number of retcons Blink created each time she saved her teammates from Sentinels in DoFP, the Fox X-Men series seemingly has a pretty large multiverse.

12/30/2021 2:55 pm  #113

Not sure if this is the right topic to post my question, but does anyone know if the Trojan War miniseries by Roy Thomas part of the Reality-616/main Marvel Universe (or is this non-canon)?

3/11/2022 10:03 am  #114

Hey guys, was wondering if anything Handbook-y is in the pipeline for Reckoning War? A story that's been delayed fifteen years is bound to have some fascinating background lore...

3/11/2022 11:14 am  #115

Pinball_Lizard wrote:

Hey guys, was wondering if anything Handbook-y is in the pipeline for Reckoning War? A story that's been delayed fifteen years is bound to have some fascinating background lore...

Unfortunately the Handbook writers can't answer questions like these unless Marvel puts out an official announcement somewhere. I'm certainly hoping they've been working on a Handbook but unfortunately we have to wait and see until Marvel formally announces something as per their current marketing strategy.

3/11/2022 11:17 am  #116

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

Pinball_Lizard wrote:

Unfortunately the Handbook writers can't answer questions like these unless Marvel puts out an official announcement somewhere. I'm certainly hoping they've been working on a Handbook but unfortunately we have to wait and see until Marvel formally announces something as per their current marketing strategy.

Ah, of course, thank you. Fingers crossed!

3/14/2022 4:24 pm  #117

Does anyone know if Pat Broderick did any work in the Handbooks? He's going to be at a con this weekend.

3/15/2022 12:13 pm  #118

Sidney Osinga wrote:

Does anyone know if Pat Broderick did any work in the Handbooks? He's going to be at a con this weekend.

Based on the info I found online I don't think so, though he did have some of his artwork reprinted in handbook entries. He also seems to have done work for DC's Who's Who.

[url=https://comicvine.gamespot.com/pat-broderick/4040-14037/issues-cover/[/url][url=http://www.maelmill-insi.de/UHBMCC/namb40.htm#N58[/url]

Last edited by zuckyd1 (3/15/2022 12:15 pm)

3/15/2022 5:41 pm  #119

zuckyd1 wrote:

Sidney Osinga wrote:

Based on the info I found online I don't think so, though he did have some of his artwork reprinted in handbook entries. He also seems to have done work for DC's Who's Who.

I need to get back to doing the indices. I just checked, and he has reprinted art in Marvel Legacy: 1970s (Captain Marvel). Going from memory he almost for sure did work on Captain Atom related profiles in Who's Who, as he had a long run on that title.

3/16/2022 4:23 pm  #120

Thanks both of you for responding. He also did Lords of the Ultrarealm in Who's Who Update 87 #4 and the Hal Jordan profile in the Looseleaf Who's Who. Unfortunately, he cancelled so I guess it doesn't matter.

Board footera